Joe Paterno dies at 85

LSN80

King Of The Ring
http://espn.go.com/college-football...tany-lions-coach-dies-85-2-month-cancer-fight

Perhaps the toughest year of Joe Paterno's life ended this morning, when Paterno passed away from lung cancer. Doctor's were quite optimistic about being able to successfully treat Paterno's cancer, but it progressed fairly rapidly since the New Year. Paterno was pronounced dead at 9:25 am.

My question for all of you is this: How will you remember Joe Paterno? Will you remember him for his legacy at the winningest coach in NCAA history? Or will the scandal that besmirchced his reputation in the minds of some and cost him his job be your lasting memory of him?

As a born and raised Pittsburgh fan, I've always despised Penn State. However, as a human being, I've always respected Joe Paterno. His outstanding graduation rate speaks for itself, as does his mantra of "not just making football players, but making men." This wasn't just a mantra, as he truly invested himself into his players, and they came out better for him. Until Jerry Sandusky, there were no scandals in the PSU football program. You rarely heard stories of former Penn State football players getting in trouble after graduating, whether it be in the NFL or the alternate careers they chose to pursue. I felt Paterno shoduld have retired years ago, but he earned the right to stay on because of his unquestionable legacy. It saddens me that the last year of his life was filled with controversy due to the actions of someone else. For me, this is simply a blip on the radar, as his life of honor farf outweighs the scandal that so unfairly engulfed the last year of his life.

The say that when people lose the most important thing in thier lives, they give up themselves. For Paterno, that was Penn State football. Whose to say that had Paterno not been unfairly villified and fired, that he might still be alive today? There's no way to now, but it makes onr wonder.

How will you remember Joe Paterno? All discussion here.

Fuck the scandal. Joe Pa's "role" in that entire thing has been so overblown it isn't even funny. I'm strictly going to remember Paterno as the greatest D1 College Football coach of all time. A career record of 409-136-3 and a bowl record of 24-12-1 is nothing short of amazing. The fact that he did it over a 46 year stint as the head coach of only one school is even more remarkable.

I'm also going to remember Paterno as a coach who didn't let athletics get in the way of academics. Paterno is one of the few great coaches who never had any type of academic or illegal benefits scandal hang over his head. Penn State players graduated at a level well above the average of other D1 schools. Let's also not forget all of the charitable donations he has given to the school over the years. Paterno not only helped build the University's football program to great success, he also helped build the University itself to great success.

I absolutely despise Joe Paterno, not for what happened with the scandal but for him destroying one of the greatest college football rivalries of all time. He destroyed the Pitt-Psu rivalry. That rivalry was great for Pennsylvania and College Football in general. Penn State is a very successful football program but Joe Pa hung on a little too long. Paterno hasn't made a recruiting visit in years and his coaching methods hurt PSU. Paterno should have retired years ago. He may have been an excellent coach but I'll remember him for holding on for a little too long. PSU obviously gave him the will to live and what not but he was just not there the last few years.

Fuck the scandal. Joe Pa's "role" in that entire thing has been so overblown it isn't even funny. I'm strictly going to remember Paterno as the greatest D1 College Football coach of all time. A career record of 409-136-3 and a bowl record of 24-12-1 is nothing short of amazing. The fact that he did it over a 46 year stint as the head coach of only one school is even more remarkable.

I'm also going to remember Paterno as a coach who didn't let athletics get in the way of academics. Paterno is one of the few great coaches who never had any type of academic or illegal benefits scandal hang over his head. Penn State players graduated at a level well above the average of other D1 schools. Let's also not forget all of the charitable donations he has given to the school over the years. Paterno not only helped build the University's football program to great success, he also helped build the University itself to great success.

Pretty much this. I am not going to be one of those people that forgets all he did because of this scandal. He did what he had to do and that coverup went WELL BEYOND Joe Pa. It's a shame that he went out the way he did, but how many people can say they did what Paterno did? Bobby Bowden and Jim Boeheim are the only ones I can think of.

I have to agree with big sexy.joe pa should be rembered for the great coach he was not for what someone else did and didnt do

I understand where you're coming from but we won't know the real truth until the trial when the evidence and testimony comes to light. Unfortunately, IF there's more to Paterno's role in the scandal than we know to this point, people are going to bash him even more and he's not here to defend himself.

I'd love to agree with your point of view right now but if it comes out that he was actively involved in a cover-up, I'd have a hard time doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back