Paterno done at Penn State?

There is so much about this case, as Sly said, that pisses me off. Having started the thread, I more wanted to get this subject matter rolling then weigh in with my full opinion. I also wanted to see how this played out in the media and at Penn State before I said anything substantial.

The biggest piece to this entire story is the kids that were abused, and Jerry Sandusky. Most of you have done an admirable job, whether I agree with you or not, on pointing this out. The farce the media has made of this making it mostly about Paterno while essentially barely giving Sandusky a mention should be criminal. If the allegations are true, and I fully believe they are, then Sandusky should be the focus. But like it or not, Joe Paterno's name makes this round the clock coverage for ESPN. His name makes this round the clock coverage for the national media. His name brings out Governor Tom Corbett to speak on every channel in Pennsylvania as well as ESPN. And as I and I'm sure a few others have found out, his name makes this the only topic in Mid-Western Pennsylvania. If Tom Bradley, PSU's interim coach, was the name in question, this wouldn't get half the publicity it has. I find this to be a damn shame. This should, first and foremost, be about how these children should heal, and villifying Jerry Sandusky, God have mercy on his despicable soul. But this case has been about villifying Joe Paterno, who is hardly a villian.

As a life-long Pitt supporter, my dislike for Penn State when it comes to collegiate sports knows no end. I don't like Joe Paterno either, although you better believe I respect him. And he deserves better then to go out this way. Ive never seen people come out in ardent support for the man the way people have in the past few days, and for good reason. I believe Paterno did, in his mind, what he felt was best here. Does that leave alot of unanswered questions? You better believe it. But why don't those questions start with Mike McQueary, who witnessed the incident? In one of the most egregious miscarriages of "justice" Ive ever seen, Paterno was fired and McQueary remained the WR coach, although he won't coach another game at PSU, Id imagine. The man witnessed a rape and the best he could do was go to Joe Paterno? If anything, the person people should be most upset with for not going to the police is McQueary. Instead, the 28 year old man ran to his dad, who sent him to Paterno.

Here is where I fault Paterno. From what Ive read and seen, which has been substantial, Paterno agreed to take care of it, and went through proper chain of command in notifying the Athletic Director. So let's say Paterno followed proper chain of command to the letter. But if he didn't DEMAND McQueary go to the police about what he witnessed, hounding him until he did, then intentional or not, Paterno was part of the cover-up. I defy anyone to tell me differently.

I find it silly when people talk about Sandusky being allowed on campus as being Paterno's fault as well. Unless Paterno had pull in this situation, in which case he's at fault again, this falls upon administration at the University, not Joe Paterno. It's hard to argue when Paterno says he should have done more then he did and is now contacting a criminal defense attorney that Paterno himself doesn't believe he was wrong in some way, or knows something that has yet to be revealed. But until that comes out, Ill err on the side of giving what has been an ethical man his entire life the benefit of the doubt.

The University, understandably so, is demonstrating damage control at its finest. That's not a compliment, however, it's a double standard. Their stance is that no one man is bigger then the University, and its the stance that should always be taken. But yet they've sat on this for how long, knowing what a black eye it would be to the University? The football program has been about Paterno for half a century, and only know that it's a black eye on them, they take action. A full investigation should have been launched internally a long time ago, and if Paterno was outed as being at fault in any way, so be it. In my eyes, this is a black eye on the entire University, moreso then Joe Paterno. I really hope history reflects it as such.

In closing, the first steps taken in firing Paterno and the University President were necessary steps, but not the first ones. The entire football program should have been gutted from top to bottom. How Paterno's right hand man in Tom Bradley is still able to stay on and coach is another example of gross mismanagement. Bradley listed Paterno as the second most-important person in his life, behind only his father. That's above his wife and kids. It's gullible thinking at best and pathetic scapegoating otherwise to believe Bradley knew nothing as well. Do I believe Paterno should have been let go? I do, but not in the way he was. Far smaller heads should have rollen before Paterno's. The University, for the sake of it's future, needed to move on. But not this way. Not this way. Regardless of how a combination of elements essentially made this a necessity, it doesn't make the necessary thing the right thing.

LSN80 -

Nice post, above. It seems to me that you've done thorough research and reading about this scandal.

My question to you is, what is your take on the District Attorney that disappeared, who's laptop was found in a river? Do think it is at all releated?
Could he have had names of others involved or other evidence but was paid to make it go away?

There is so much about this case, as Sly said, that pisses me off. Having started the thread, I more wanted to get this subject matter rolling then weigh in with my full opinion. I also wanted to see how this played out in the media and at Penn State before I said anything substantial.

The biggest piece to this entire story is the kids that were abused, and Jerry Sandusky. Most of you have done an admirable job, whether I agree with you or not, on pointing this out. The farce the media has made of this making it mostly about Paterno while essentially barely giving Sandusky a mention should be criminal. If the allegations are true, and I fully believe they are, then Sandusky should be the focus. But like it or not, Joe Paterno's name makes this round the clock coverage for ESPN. His name makes this round the clock coverage for the national media. His name brings out Governor Tom Corbett to speak on every channel in Pennsylvania as well as ESPN. And as I and I'm sure a few others have found out, his name makes this the only topic in Mid-Western Pennsylvania. If Tom Bradley, PSU's interim coach, was the name in question, this wouldn't get half the publicity it has. I find this to be a damn shame. This should, first and foremost, be about how these children should heal, and villifying Jerry Sandusky, God have mercy on his despicable soul. But this case has been about villifying Joe Paterno, who is hardly a villian.

As a life-long Pitt supporter, my dislike for Penn State when it comes to collegiate sports knows no end. I don't like Joe Paterno either, although you better believe I respect him. And he deserves better then to go out this way. Ive never seen people come out in ardent support for the man the way people have in the past few days, and for good reason. I believe Paterno did, in his mind, what he felt was best here. Does that leave alot of unanswered questions? You better believe it. But why don't those questions start with Mike McQueary, who witnessed the incident? In one of the most egregious miscarriages of "justice" Ive ever seen, Paterno was fired and McQueary remained the WR coach, although he won't coach another game at PSU, Id imagine. The man witnessed a rape and the best he could do was go to Joe Paterno? If anything, the person people should be most upset with for not going to the police is McQueary. Instead, the 28 year old man ran to his dad, who sent him to Paterno.

Here is where I fault Paterno. From what Ive read and seen, which has been substantial, Paterno agreed to take care of it, and went through proper chain of command in notifying the Athletic Director. So let's say Paterno followed proper chain of command to the letter. But if he didn't DEMAND McQueary go to the police about what he witnessed, hounding him until he did, then intentional or not, Paterno was part of the cover-up. I defy anyone to tell me differently.

I find it silly when people talk about Sandusky being allowed on campus as being Paterno's fault as well. Unless Paterno had pull in this situation, in which case he's at fault again, this falls upon administration at the University, not Joe Paterno. It's hard to argue when Paterno says he should have done more then he did and is now contacting a criminal defense attorney that Paterno himself doesn't believe he was wrong in some way, or knows something that has yet to be revealed. But until that comes out, Ill err on the side of giving what has been an ethical man his entire life the benefit of the doubt.

The University, understandably so, is demonstrating damage control at its finest. That's not a compliment, however, it's a double standard. Their stance is that no one man is bigger then the University, and its the stance that should always be taken. But yet they've sat on this for how long, knowing what a black eye it would be to the University? The football program has been about Paterno for half a century, and only know that it's a black eye on them, they take action. A full investigation should have been launched internally a long time ago, and if Paterno was outed as being at fault in any way, so be it. In my eyes, this is a black eye on the entire University, moreso then Joe Paterno. I really hope history reflects it as such.

In closing, the first steps taken in firing Paterno and the University President were necessary steps, but not the first ones. The entire football program should have been gutted from top to bottom. How Paterno's right hand man in Tom Bradley is still able to stay on and coach is another example of gross mismanagement. Bradley listed Paterno as the second most-important person in his life, behind only his father. That's above his wife and kids. It's gullible thinking at best and pathetic scapegoating otherwise to believe Bradley knew nothing as well. Do I believe Paterno should have been let go? I do, but not in the way he was. Far smaller heads should have rollen before Paterno's. The University, for the sake of it's future, needed to move on. But not this way. Not this way. Regardless of how a combination of elements essentially made this a necessity, it doesn't make the necessary thing the right thing.

I think it's hypocritical of you to question the media "criminal farce" making this more of a story about Paterno then Sandusky. You named your thread "Paterno done at Penn St.?" not "Sandusky is a pedofile - what is the fallout of his evil actions?". I know you are not a journalist but you are just as guilty as they are of shifting the focus from where it should be.

But I don't blame you, you want your thread to get as many views and replies as possible. Let's face it there is not much interest in Sandusky - he is a former PSU defensive coordinator who retired before most members of this forum finished high school. He is not up for much discussion - he is an evil man who deserves to be punished. What else is there for this forum or the media to say about him? You own post is only about 10% Sandusky.

Paterno on the other hand is a legend of college sports, who up until a couple of days ago was the current coach of PSU. His situation is worth discussing, there is some gray area, there is more to find out and plenty to report and discuss. The media is not at fault here, don't kill the messenger.

On top of that you can criticize the University as much as you want but the University is an institution, not a person. That type of blame is what hurts the group, not the responsible individuals. You do not know what anyone else knew. We only know that McQueery, Paterno, a janitor, the old AD, and a VP actually knew something from the University. We do not know how much further it went. And what does it matter is Paterno gets fired first or last? Don't you fire someone as soon as you realize he needs to be fired? There may be more heads to chop off (clearly McQueery), but why does the order matter?

I reaally didn't want to get into a debate about this topic.

I think it's hypocritical of you to question the media "criminal farce" making this more of a story about Paterno then Sandusky. You named your thread "Paterno done at Penn St.?" not "Sandusky is a pedofile - what is the fallout of his evil actions?". I know you are not a journalist but you are just as guilty as they are of shifting the focus from where it should be.But I don't blame you, you want your thread to get as many views and replies as possible.

Like it or not, Joe Paterno has been the focus of this conversation, not Jerry Sandusky. If I was the one who somehow broke this story, then you would be right in calling me hypocritical. You're truly arguing semantics here. Regardless of what I would have named the thread, or what
I discussed in my OP, what do you think this thread would have turned into? A discussion about Joe Paterno, what he knew, what he should have done and his subsequent firing. I couldn't care less about the number of views, or number of replies. As I do in the Cigar Lounge, I care about quality discussion. No difference here.

Let's face it there is not much interest in Sandusky - he is a former PSU defensive coordinator who retired before most members of this forum finished high school. He is not up for much discussion - he is an evil man who deserves to be punished. What else is there for this forum or the media to say about him?
What else is there to be said about him? Oh my. How about the perception of his peers and their inability to reconcile who they believe him to be as compared to who he truly is? How about his charity? I'd be willing to wager there have been more then eight. How about how he was allowed access to the campus? How about the fact that he's receiving money from PSU alumni and some former players to fund the best possible defense team he can get? Need I go on?

Youre own post is only about 10% Sandusky.

Hardly. My entire post is about the fallout of what's happened because of Sandusky. All of this: McQueary's actions, Paterno's response, how efficiently the University investigated, Paterno's firing and so on- They're all as a result of one thing. Jerry Sandusky abusing at least 8 young men. And regardless of the perception of how muvh of a "percentage" I devoted to talk of Sandusky, does that change the fact that all of this is because of him, which is hardly mentioned at all.

Paterno on the other hand is a legend of college sports, who up until a couple of days ago was the current coach of PSU. His situation is worth discussing, there is some gray area, there is more to find out and plenty to report and discuss.
I believe I said as much, right here in fact.

Originally posted by Me
But like it or not, Joe Paterno's name makes this round the clock coverage for ESPN. His name makes this round the clock coverage for the national media. His name brings out Governor Tom Corbett to speak on every channel in Pennsylvania as well as ESPN. And as I and I'm sure a few others have found out, his name makes this the only topic in Mid-Western Pennsylvania.

The media is not at fault here, don't kill the messenger.

I can live with the fact that the media is doing what they need to do to make a living. Paterno is a big deal in name value, bigger then likely anyone in the history of college sports. Does that make everything they do right? All NAncy Grace(part of the media) does is try people in the court of her public opinion, whether she's right or wrong. How long did she spend on Casey Anthony, aka Tot Mom to her? Does sensationalism, garnering the highest ratings, and letting the facts get in the way of what's popular make the media in the right? After all, aren't they just the messenger? Hardly. They throw gas on a fire and people, some innocent, are hurt by it, but they're not culpable? Spare me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back