Michael Bay

Daniel

Of Ace Stevens fame.
I think it’s time we all had a frank talk about one of the most divisive people in the film industry today: Michael Bay. Derided by his critics as one-dimensional and praised by his supporters as one of the best action directors in history. To say he’s like Marmite would be both a cliché and inaccurate. He makes Marmite look universally loved.

He has a large portfolio of films as both director and producer, ranging from the Transformers saga to Pearl Harbour. Collectively, his films have grossed over $3 billion. And this is what matters to Bay. He isn’t concerned with glowing reviews from critics - he’s a populist filmmaker. To him, the film industry is about business and what makes money. His films are almost always high budget and shot in his signature style - that’s fast edits and excessive use of special effects. And it seems to work. Look at it this way – a Michael Bay film has never made a loss at box office. He’s one of the most bankable directors in Hollywood.

On the flip side, his films are generally regarded as bad. It’s that simple. Is that Bay’s fault? Not necessarily. Sometimes the acting is a problem. Sometimes it’s the story. Bay is often blamed for Transformers being so god-awful, but maybe the writing plays a bigger factor. In fact, Bay actually called Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen “crap” and blamed it on the 2007/08 writer’s strike. Revenge Of The Fallen was unrelenting. It beat you over the head with metal and loud noises for two and a half hours, with no break for the viewer to rest. Is this a directorial flaw or a problem with the writing?

So is Michael Bay a good director? That’s the question. There’s no doubting his aptitude for directing and producing the massive scenes which define his work. Not many directors can handle big sets and big pieces like him. However, that appears to be all he is capable of. Bay has never shown his directorial versatility. He’s never directed that low budget film with a great story. That film which doesn’t rely on excessive special effects to be commercially or critically successful. Does versatility make a great director? That’s another question.

So what is Michael Bay? Genius? Overrated? Awful? Is he a great director who knows what his audience wants? Or is he a one-dimensional filmmaker who shamelessly panders to the mass-market?

I think off Michael Bay and the Simpson / Bruckheimer template as examples of WWe film making. These guys have found a formula that works and they beat us repeatedly over the head with it. Whilst the critics and movie afficianos might turn there noses up and speak off Indy movies (RoH), foreign language (Japanese/ Mexican) or classics the majority of people love the big concepts, ignore obvious plot holes and play along with the blatant emotion twisting. The problem with these styles also ties in with Wrestling, when the concept doesn't work it can feel like overkill (the biggest example I can give here is the Lex Express). I've been a massive movie fan most of my life and generally I love concept shows so I am just as happy to contribute 3 hours of my life to my Armageddon DVD as I am my Shawshank.

Seth this is probably one of the best posts that I've seen here and it is a good thread.
Michael Bay is a good director, saying otherwise in my view is stupid and let me explain you why.
I can't see a Michael Bay movie and feel that it is not worth the money I gave for it in the movie theater.

People is always spewing shit in his work with Transformers, and I can't see the reason.
I am not expecting to see a drama and romantic movie when I watch Transformers, I am expecting to see an alien story and some pretty awesome fights! and they deliver it very well, I'm sorry but I can't feel the crap that others do, I have re-watched the movies over and over and they are very entertaining every time, I can spend two hours of my life watching it easily.

He isn't overrated, he is underrated!
Bad Boys 1&2 -> One of the best action/comedy movies ever done and people are asking for a third one since the end of the 2nd.
Pearl Harbor -> Is easily a classic now, one of the most underrated movie of all time.
Armageddon-> Same as above. Every person have seen at least once this movie.
The Island -> Great movie too, entertaining!

Critics don't like Michael Bay because he doesn't give a fuck about them and he says it publicly!
What the hell do critics know about entertainment? They don't, every year they show us at the Academy Awards.
American Pie for instance, every person loves it... I mean every guy over 7 years old likes it, every girl between 10 and 25 loves it and the critics gave them 58/100!
Sometimes critics don't know shit, i can't find the reason why black and white movies with no sound or special effects are better than a movie nowadays, however critics can and they do, they think that Avatar is a piece of junk compared to these movies, and Avatar is really a graphical masterpiece and the script is really great.

He's the American Uwe Boll!

For an action flick with explosions and OTT action scenes, he does a great job. That's about it. No doubt he can do action, but he can't really tie films together that smoothly so they tend to come off as spot-fests.

A point of contention I have with what you said Seth, was that the acting wasn't his fault. I disagree, as a director, he is the one responsible for getting the performance from the actor. If the script isn't sitting right, adapt it on the spot so your actor feels more comfortable.

He's a decent action director, but he's restricted himself far too much to be considered an all-time great and comes across as a bit of an ass.

Michael Bay is awful! He's figured out what makes him lots and lots of money and he just keeps making these movies with no plot, crappy dialog, hot girls, and awesome explosions. Megan Fox has said in interviews that the reason she didn't do the 3rd transformers movie is because Michael Bay was basically a creep and his directing made her feel uncomfortable. Although, that's really how most of the men in Hollywood are, that kind of stuff usually isnt talked about, which gives me the impression that he's probably a douche bag. That isn't really the point though, because this is about his directing. He has a good casting director (for hiring good-looking actors, not good actors) and a good special effects guy. That's about it. I agree with Dowds, bad acting is the director's fault, a good script (which Michael Bay has never had) and a good director can make even the worst actors look good. Hands down, one of the worst, most one-dimensional filmmakers working in Hollywood today.

Megan Fox has said in interviews that the reason she didn't do the 3rd transformers movie is because Michael Bay was basically a creep and his directing made her feel uncomfortable. Although, that's really how most of the men in Hollywood are, that kind of stuff usually isnt talked about, which gives me the impression that he's probably a douche bag.

I didn't find it especially classy the way they mentioned her character and had a wee shitbox transformer actually spit! OK so you guys had a falling out and she pulled out of the 3rd film and you maybe had to insert a line as to why she wasnt there, but the way it was handled was quite low.

Fox probably had the last laugh upon seeing the actress who replaced her being even worse than her.

Michael Bay is what is wrong with movies.

Outside of "The Rock" the guy has done nothing good ("The Island" isn't too bad but it's still messy). I've seen just about everything he's done but mostly just to see how bad they are.

Based off the Transformers series, Bay has proven he's one of the worst directors of all time. The mindless action, shallow characters, awful humor, distracting product placement, and a plot that will drive you crazy are just a few of the problems with the films. I could go more in depth but Bay doesn't deserve my time even if I'm slandering him.

As Peter Travers said with the third one "watching it makes you die a little inside".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back