Transformers 4 & 5 In The Works

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
This was actually reported a while ago, but I keep forgetting about this piece of news:

After "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" hauled in more than $1 billion at the global box office, Hasbro is eager to keep its toy-trafficking franchise rolling on the bigscreen -- to the degree that plans are being considered to shoot the fourth and fifth installments back-to-back.

Hasbro chief Brian Goldner said during a Monday third-quarter earnings call that the toymaker is in "active discussions" with Paramount, Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg on how to move forward. Sources close to the planning process tell Variety two films could be headed into production.

With tentpole costs pushed by contract negotiations, escalating f/x coin and the need to plan toy designs and merchandise tie-ins more than a year in advance, Paramount, which licenses "Transformers" film rights from Hasbro, is considering lensing its fourth and fifth films without pause. Nothing is set in stone, but screenwriter Ehren Kruger is said to have an idea for the next installments that the studio is high on, and has only begun engaging with writers.

One element that won't return: Shia LaBeouf, who's said he's moving on, giving Paramount the chance to pair a new face with the shape-shiftrorobots. Though one name -- Jason Statham -- has been bandied about by sources close to the production, no offer has been made.

While Bay will serve as an executive producer alongside Spielberg, sources close to the development said Bay is still interested in directing. Bay has wanted to spend some time on his competitive body-building passion project "Pain and Gain," which he could conceivably squeeze in before "Transformers" got going in late 2012 or early 2013.

Helmer is also a creative consultant to "Transformers: The Ride -- 3D," a big-budget theme park attraction under construction on the lower lot of Universal Studios Hollywood that opens next spring.

Although Par has never shot sequels back-to-back, the way the second and third "Matrix" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" (and soon U's "Fast Six" and "Seven") were produced, the strategy pays off in advance, with cast and crew under contract for both pics.

It would also give Hasbro more time to design new action figures and playsets to fill store shelves. The series has been a massive moneymaker for Hasbro, with the first film in 2007 generating $482 million in "Transformers" toys alone, and more than $600 million around the second, providing a case study on how toymakers can capitalize on film and TV shows based on their popular playthings.

"Dark of the Moon" earned $1.1 billion, putting it in the fourth spot on the all-time box office list.

Hasbro also has film versions of Micronauts, Candyland, Risk, Stretch Armstrong, Clue and Monopoly in development, with several studios eyeing to pick up Ouija, which Universal put into turnaround. U also has "Battleship" out next summer.

The toymaker has no plans to become another Marvel Studios and self-finance its own films; rather, it wants to continue working with its studio partners to lay off the risks of filmmaking, Goldner said.

The "Transformers" news comes as Hasbro reported a 10% rise in third-quarter profits of $171 million, over the same year-ago-frame, fueled by merchandise tied to "Dark of the Moon," and other boy centric lines like Nerf. Revenue was up 5% to $1.38 billion during the three-month period.

Goldner was optimistic about the upcoming holiday shopping season, when toymakers typically earn 40% of their annual revenue, given that Hasbro has kept its inventory levels lean. Last year, consumers gave toys a cold shoulder during December, forcing retailers to slash prices on piles of product.

Hasbro saw sales from international territories rise 23%, while the U.S. and Canada was down 7%. The "Transformers" films helped sales of toys for boys rise 15% to nearly $535 million, while the girls category fell 4% to $259 million.

Last week, Mattel, the No. 1 toymaker, topped Hasbro's results, with profits up 6% to nearly $301 million and revenue rising 9% more to $2 billion, thanks to "Cars 2" toys and its Barbie brand.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118044618

I've always had shaky feelings towards the Transformers franchise, but Shia LaBeouf always delivered as the lead man in each film. He was an enjoyable and entertaining hero, and he was one of those guys, who you could root for. But LaBeouf won't return for the new films, and he's moving on, because he won't star in anymore Transformers films. LaBeouf is out as lead man, so of course a replacement is needed. Jason Statham's name has been tossed around as a potential lead man, but nothing is official just yet. Also, there's a chance Michael Bay won't return as director. Personally, I can't stand Bay, but from a business standpoint, it would make sense for him to return, because he did direct all three Transformers films, and these films did rake in a lot of cash. Paramount and Hasbro obviously want to make a lot more money, and Bay wouldn't be a bad choice, if they want to accomplish this goal. One thing's for sure, the new Transformers films will see a lot of change, and it'll be interesting to see if audiences accept these changes.

The Transformers franchise has become a tremendous cash cow over the years, and you can be sure the new films will make a lot of money. Dark Of The Moon did feel like a nice little send-off for the Transformers film series, but the possibility of new films was always very realistic. The new Transformers films will probably make a shitload of money. There's no doubt about that, but a hiatus wouldn't hurt this film series. Transformers will draw moviegoers to theaters, people will show up to watch these films, and the box office numbers prove this, but personally, I wish Transformers would take an extended break. It feels like they're trying to force everything, and while I can understand the mentality of "striking while the iron is still hot," I still don't think a break would hurt this franchise, because Shooting the new films back to back just reeks of overkill.

I will give Transformers 4 a try, when it hits theaters, but that film is going to have to blow me away. Transformers 4 has to bring something new to the table, and this film should feel refreshing. I want to see what the new Transformers films have to offer, and I would welcome a new director, because a different vision shouldn't hurt the new films.

What are your thoughts?

Jesus H Christ, any movie franchise that isn't called Star Wars should not go past 3, that is a big fucking no no. I don't have anything against the Transformers movies, I'm not a fan of them personally and I think that they're a bit overrated but they're enjoyable. But I feel like especially with Transformers three films would be a perfect place to stop, however these movies are definitely selling to the public so if I were them I would want to pop out a few more as well, but I really feel like the quality of the movies is going to suffer from pushing on to 4 and 5. Hopefully they're good and enjoyable but I won't be expecting too much from them.

In the storyline, Megatron is dead, The Fallen is dead, Sentinel Prime is dead.

Cybertron is gone.

Unless they totally reboot and start completely new series or a new take on the Transformers, I don't see any way they can make two new films that continue (even vaguely) from the others.

While I love Transformers the cartoon, and the cartoon movie, I haven't really enjoyed the films, just personal opinion I guess, as everyone else seems to really enjoy them.

BUT....if Megatron is dead (I haven't seen DSOTM), then why not have him reincarnated as Galvatron in the 4th film in the series by the only and only UNICRON as in the cartoon movie, with Unicron being the enemy in the 4th film too.

That would work. There are so many Transformers who have never been seen in any of the 3 movies so far, there is plenty that could be done in the 4th movie. Just as long as they don't fight over a pair of fucking glasses again...

Two thoughts:

1. Make it a prequel, with no humans in the entire movie, and set it on Cybertron, during the Autobot/Decepticon wars. Nobody gives a shit about the people anyway, it's a franchise based on robot characters, not human relationships.

2. Unicron. Set it 20-30 years in the future with Daniel Witwicky instead of Sam/Spike, have them return to Cybertron or have Unicron come to earth. (essentially, steal concepts from the animated movie, as long as you don't take the junkions, who were ridiculously lame). You can kill Optimus Prime and introduce Rodimus Prime, transform a resurrected Megatron into Galvatron and pay Leonard Nimoy a million dollars to reprise his role (yes, I know he said he is 100% retired from acting, but money talks, and large amounts of money talk even louder). Essentially take the animated movie, and redo it right. Unicron is the single most badass character in the entire Transformers universe.

Two thoughts:

1. Make it a prequel, with no humans in the entire movie, and set it on Cybertron, during the Autobot/Decepticon wars. Nobody gives a shit about the people anyway, it's a franchise based on robot characters, not human relationships.

I like this idea. I think you're on to something here. I guess they could potentially make Transformers 4 & 5 as prequels.

I'd like to see the transformers civil war that lead to the death of Cybertron or they could go even further back and show us Cybertron from the beginning and give us a movie about the Dynasty of the Primes. In fact, it could really be a prequel story to Revenge of the Fallen, show us how The Fallen turned and the events that led up to that.

Hey I have watched the movie Transformers 3 and I really like that Movie........I am now waiting for the next parts of the movie and Too excited about it..Can anybody told me that when will the next part of this movie be released....:):)

Here you can watch the office tv series with high quality..
Here you can watch er video with high quality..

I grew up on the cartoon series G1 1984 - 1987. I was a huge fan. The cartoon film wasn't the best but it held my interest.

I was surprised when they decided to make the series to a live action film series. I was hopeful that the film would actually be good. The live action films were ok, not great. I wasn't over the moon for them. My problem with them was the character design of the transformers themselves, the amount of time spent on the human characters and the storyline really disappointed me. You'd think with Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg working together we'd get something more interesting than what they came up with in those films. They had so many ways to go with the series. They could have gone with G1 or the comic book series for storylines, and they didn't do that. It was more concerned about getting the kids interested in bugging their parents to buy Hasbro's merchandise.

It's sad to see Shia go, but I understand he doesn't want to be typecast. If I were him I'd sign on. He could make plenty of money with the series and people associate him with the film series. He's still young and he'll have plenty of time to do other work. The money he'll make from this series will more than make up for whatever drawbacks that might come from him staying with the film series.

I wouldn't mind it if they made the film about cybertron's history and the reason for the war between the Autobots and Decepticons. That would be a better way to go and please bring in the damn Dinobots and make them combine into another bot.

As a huge fan of Transformers growingup, the "Bayformers" was absolutely terrible to me, and even though I watched them all, I was always very dissapointed.

I really, really dislike Shia Lebouf, and Michael Bay's direction is hideous. The scripts though, which constantly spend ages on the humans in comedy suituations and very glossed over parts of integral storyline were the worse parts of the series. And I guess as Captain of the ship, Bay is to blame fr it, as well as all the producers who have to put their input in so every demographic can watch the movie. Making it unwatchable overall in the process.

That's enough whiing from me about the original. The topic is on T4 and 5 which of course as a TF fan will watch when they are produced. These movies much liek the toys are a good business and of course you will continue to make them if they continue to do great business for the studios involved. Their integrity wont be at risk because they never had any to begin with.

I think the fact that Shia Lebouf's character is gone, could be a great thing as it eliminates the parents and all the friends that surround him that the movie seems to be centred on instead of the robots we actually pay money to go see.

So that's a good thing. I would like to see maybe the guy who directed District 9, Neill Blomkamp, or maybe event he Warchowski Brothers (sp?) from the Matrix saga to get involved. the W's know a thing or two about sagas and filming back to back movies. Also (even though the third movie was all that great) the first and arguabley the second were amazing films (the second only marred by the KFC Colonel in the end act ergo whatever...).

Like some one else already said.. Megtron dead.. well revive him as Galvatron, and it can lead to a cliffhanger ending with Unicron coming to blow up the Earth... I mean Megs has already been brought back to life once before, the audience will ebleive it can be done again...

Also like the OP's quote infers, T4 and 5 could very well come up with brand new designs for the Tfs. Meaning Hasbro can make their money all over again with brand new sculpts for their collectable action figures. All enw Prime's and Megatrons are a cashed up collector's dream.

With a new creative team, I would love to see robots that we could distinguish between.. I mean Starscream was all silver, and we couldn't really sort of know if it was him or ot... same with the Autobots, when Jazz got killed in the first movie, I don't anyone really knew exactly who it was Megs snapped in half.. and so on.

Would love to see Starscream in his blue and red, Rtachet in his white and red, and Iron hide in his classic red and so on. And even Prime in what his truck is meant to look like and not the "nose rig" (sorry not a truck expert don't know what you call the two dfferent types of trucks.)

However all this will be naught as ai suspect that the studio will continue with their current formulae as it it has made so much money, who am I to argue???

I would honestly be far more interested in a Beast Wars film at this time. They are a part of the Transformers evolution after all, and were a pretty badass take on the series. It could work well with the all ready mentioned ideas of a prequel, which is an idea i enjoy. We've seen the war on earth, lets see the war on Cybertron that lead to the Transformers coming to earth and becoming the Maximals and Predacons.

Some more news has surfaced for Transformers 4, and I just thought I'd pass it along:

Michael Bay is in final negotiations to direct a new Transformers film, insiders tell Vulture. In recent days, Bay has been assembling a cast for a long-gestating project that even predates Bay’s entry into planet-destroying, Pain and Gain, based on a three-part New Times story about the infamous “Sun Gym gang,” a group of dimwitted Miami bodybuilders who kidnapped, tortured, and robbed a Florida businessman but got their comeuppance when their left-for-dead victim hired a private eye to hunt them down. Insiders tell Vulture that Bay has been seeking to adapt the sordid revenge tale almost since its publication in 1999, and that it’s proving the major blandishment in getting Bay to commit to launching a new Transformers cycle. "Without Pain, there’s no tit for tat," explains one person familiar with the talks, "That’s Paramount’s leverage."

Another insider familiar with the situation cautioned that while Paramount “does not have a closed deal” with Bay, the studio “is not far from closing” on one, either, and that an announcement could come as early as next week. Meanwhile, the details of the next cyborg saga are being kept secret, but we’re told that it is definitely not a prequel, and that it will delve deeper into the Transformers canon to mine older characters and lore. "Regular people might not care about bringing out a character like Sentinel Prime," says one of our insiders, referring to the little-known character who played a major part in last summer’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon, "But believe me, fans of the series cared."

If both deals are made, we are told that Bay is likely to begin shooting Pain and Gain almost immediately — as soon as early spring — and then pivot to a new sequence of Transformers by winter 2012. "Spielberg does this all the time," says our insider, "where you’re doing art development and visual effects tests on your next movie while you’re still shooting the current one. The beauty of Michael doing Pain and Gain is that there’s no [technical] complexity to it compared to Transformers."

Or, in the words of Megatron, "The humans cannot stop us!"

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/12/michael-bay-will-direct-fourth-transformers-film.html

This doesn't surprise me too much. Steven Spielberg LOVES Michael Bay's "vision" for the Transformers' films, and Spielberg thinks Bay has developed the perfect formula for these films. Also, each Transformers' film has made a shitload of money with Bay as the director, so when you stop and think about it, Bay's return is a wise business move. Nothing has been confirmed for the fifth film, but I'm sure they'll find a way to work Transformers 5 into Bay's schedule, because one thing is clear, he is the director of choice for this franchise. Personally, I can't stand Bay, and I thought Revenge Of The Fallen was hideous in every way, and I was hoping to see a new vision from a different director, but there's a good chance that won't happen.

As far as the story goes, I was actually hoping for a prequel. A prequel would've felt more refreshing, and the "how it all began" stuff would've felt more intriguing, because a prequel could give fans a different outlook for the franchise. I understand these films will make a ton of money regardless, but a different view of the timeline for the Transformers' storyline just sounds more enticing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back