Money In The Bank Ladder Match…before WrestleMania 21

King Patrick Star

K. O. T. R. 2007 -€“ Team Undisputed
Found this topic on another site very interesting.

If Money In The Bank was invented earlier, I don’t think I would have used it any earlier than WrestleMania X8.

WrestleMania X8
Kurt Angle vs. Kane vs. Edge vs. Booker T. vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Scott Hall
Simply put, putting these 3 Singles matches together could make room for at least 2 more matches. There were no Championships on the line in any of the 3 original matches.

WrestleMania XIX
The Undertaker vs. Nathan Jones vs. Big Show vs. A-Train vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho
The Undertaker’s WrestleMania Handicap match was okay, but I think putting the Undertaker’s WM Streak on the line in a Ladder match against 5 other SuperStars would have been more impressive. Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho could have simply continued their feud within the MITB Ladder match. Removing / editing 2 matches, and replacing it with MITB, also makes room for at least one more match to the card. The World Tag Team Championship match could have been on the card itself, instead of Sunday Night Heat.

WrestleMania XX
John Cena vs. Big Show vs. Christian vs. Chris Jericho vs. Randy Orton vs. Shawn Michaels
John Cena could have put his United States Championship run on hold for a shot at the MITB Briefcase. The feud between Chris Jericho and Christian could have easily continued in the MITB Ladder match. Evolution vs. The Rock and Sock Connection would have been an even two-on-two Tag Team match, which I feel it should have been in the first place. Shawn Michaels being inserted into the World Championship match was a bit odd to me. I think he should have moved on after failing to win the Royal Rumble. A Shawn Michaels vs. Randy Orton feud for the Intercontinental Championship would have been great around this time as well. Removing / editing 4 matches, and replacing it with MITB, also makes room for at least one more match to the card.

Who would you have in Money In The Bank Ladder matches had this been invented before WrestleMania 21??

WM X8- Id take the 3 teams from the original TLC matches and have them fight for an Undisputed Title shot.

WM 19-Just the idea of Undertaker's streak being defended in a multi-person ladder match makes me cringe. I would stick RVD & Kane in the MITB match before taking HBK vs Y2J off the card.

WM 20- Christian vs. Chris Jericho vs. Randy Orton vs. Rey Mysterio vs. RVD vs. Test/Billy Gunn

WrestleMania XIX
The Undertaker vs. Nathan Jones vs. Big Show vs. A-Train vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho
The Undertaker’s WrestleMania Handicap match was okay, but I think putting the Undertaker’s WM Streak on the line in a Ladder match against 5 other SuperStars would have been more impressive. Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho could have simply continued their feud within the MITB Ladder match. Removing / editing 2 matches, and replacing it with MITB, also makes room for at least one more match to the card. The World Tag Team Championship match could have been on the card itself, instead of Sunday Night Heat.

This MITB ladder match I disagree with. I think I'd rather just have Jericho and Michaels compete in their great one-on-one match at WrestleMania, and I don't really like the idea of Undertaker putting the streak on the line in a MITB ladder match.

A much better MITB lineup for WrestleMania 19 would be:
RVD vs. Kane vs. Chris Benoit vs. Rhyno vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Charlie Haas vs. Eddie Guerrero vs. Chavo Guerrero.
Eddie would be a great choice to win MITB as it fits with his whole "Lie, Cheat and Steal" gimmick. By cashing in MITB he'd basically steal the World Title and the fans would love it. It could also be used to set-up the eventual implosion of Los Guerreros and lead to an Eddie vs. Chavo feud. I really like the team aspect of this MITB, as you basically have 4 teams against each other, but the match is every man for himself. I think this would've been a potential show stealer at Mania 19.

Wrestlemania X8 - I don't think Austin and Hall could've gone in a MitB match at all by that point in their careers. Best option there would probably be to scrap the IC match, and have Kane, Kurt Angle, Rob Van, William Regal, Edge and Booker T.

Wrestlemania XIX - Too much beef in that match, and you would lose the excellent Michaels-Jericho match, which deserved it's own match. IMO, you scrub the MitB that year or make the World Tag Team Title match a TLC match if you absolutely have to have a ladder match.

Wrestlemania XX - Maybe you can bring it in here, but with the main event being as good as it was, I don't think you want to pull Michaels out of that match, nor Orton out of his. Cena and Show had a good feud at that point, so putting them into a MitB wouldn't make much sense either. If you have to have it: Christian, Jericho, The Dudleys, Mysterio, and Chavo.

Why would you want to get rid of Michaels-Jericho just to get the tag titles on the card? We all know the problem with that show was the dumb Miller lite segment.

And the whole point of Rock n' Sock against Evolution was Foley's feud with Orton.

Also couldn't see Austin or Undertaker in this type of match at a mania.

Everything worked out fine to me, don't see how MITB would've improved any of these shows

I wouldn't have minded a MITB at Summerslam 1998. Having it feature The Rock, Triple H, Ken Shamrock, Jeff Jarrett, Mankind, X-Pac. Might not have been as high flying as others since but, it had enough star power in it (Rock would win of course) and could've been a nice little addition to that event.

Wrestlemania 19 was one of the best of all-time but the Undertaker handicap match really sticks out. Not just on the night but for Taker's streak in general.

Remember, The Undertaker feuding with Brock Lesnar for the WWE championship later in the year. A MITB match could have been a way to start the feud and prevent that handicap match. Taker and the Big Show is a start. Kane and RVD were both left off the card and Chris Benoit was wasted.

The Undertaker V Big Show V Kane V RVD V Chris Benoit V Rhyno. That would be a solid match which the Undertaker would win and look impressive doing so. It would have been more of an old-school hardcore match.

I thought Wrestlemania 18 was fine, it didn't need a Money in the Bank match imo. Wrestlemania 19 and 20's Tag Team Title matches though were nothing but just meaningless fillers, so had the match been invented earlier I would've booked some of participants from those tag matches in the Money in the Bank.

WM 19 - Chris Benoit vs. Rhyno vs. Eddie Guerrero (w/ Chavo) vs. Kane vs. RVD vs. Christian

3 Smackdown guys, 3 Raw guys. The World's Greatest Tag Team could've defended their titles against any other random team on the PPV and The Dudley Boyz could've faced Storm & Morley on Heat. Or they could've put the World Tag Team Titles on The Dudleys, and had them face The World's Greatest Tag Team in a brand vs. brand/champions vs. champions match on the PPV.

WM 20 - Booker T vs. RVD vs. Batista vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Bradshaw vs. Farooq

3 Smackdown, 3 Raw guys again. Batista didn't need to be in the Evolution vs Rock N' Sock match, Orton & Flair would've been just fine alone against Rock & Foley. Bradshaw could've won the match in the same way Damien Sandow did at Money in the Bank this past Sunday. JBL on commentary, mentioned how he would've done the same to Farooq if they were in Money in the Bank together. That could've slowly set up the split for the APA and Bradshaw transforming into JBL.

Like I said above, I thought Wrestlemania 18 was fine as it is but if there were a Money in the Bank Ladder match at the PPV...

WM 18 - Kurt Angle vs. Kane vs. Edge vs. Booker T vs. RVD vs. Christian

Scrap DDP vs. Christian. William Regal could've defended the IC Title against a face Mr. Perfect, who should've been on the main card anyway, in the opening match.

I'd like to go even further back... WrestleMania XI

I'd have WWE Champion Diesel defend his title against the returning Yokozuna, and in the main event:

MITB Ladder Match:

Bret Hart v. Shawn Michaels v. Razor Ramon v. Lex Luger v. Owen Hart v. Jeff Jarrett

I'd like to go even further back than Sharpshooter and say Wrestlemania VI. At this point the ladder match had only been seen in Stampede so the concept wouldn't have worked at all and ruined all ladder matches to come but I think it would be fun to list some names from that era that I think would have made for a good match...

Rick Rude -vs- Tito Santana -vs- Rick Martel -vs- Bad News Brown -vs- The Barbarian -vs- Jimmy Snuka -vs- Roddy Piper

WrestleMania VIII
Owen Hart vs. Skinner vs. Tatanka vs. Rick Martel vs. The Undertaker vs. Jake the Snake Roberts vs. Shawn Michaels vs. El Matador
4 Singles matches, merged into one great Money In The Bank Ladder match. The high spots alone would be worth the price of admission.

WrestleMania IX
Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzalez vs. Lex Luger vs. Mr. Perfect vs. Razor Ramon vs. Bob Backlund vs. Doink the Clown vs. Crush
4 Singles matches, merged into one great Money In The Bank Ladder match. It would be fun to see what Doink would have done in this match.

Wrestlemania II.

Tito Santana -vs- Dan Spivey -vs- Paul Orndorff -vs- Terry Funk -vs- Hoss (Dory Jr) Funk -vs- Big John Studd -vs- Randy Savage -vs- Don Muraco

WM 18 - Stone Cold vs Scott Hall vs Edge VS Booker T vs Rikishi vs Test/Mr Perfect vs Kurt Angle vs Kane.

Wm XIX - Eddie Guerrero vs Chavo Guerrero vs Rob Van Dam vs Kane vs Shelton Benjamin vs Charlie Hass vs Chris Benoit vs Rhyno.

WM XX - John Cena vs Big Show vs Chris Jericho vs Christian vs Ric Flair vs Batista vs Charlie Hass vs Shelton Benjamin.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned this, but this would have been great for Wrestlemania IV, with one slight change...instead of one match, you have two, and the two contracts are for the Main Event title match at the end of the night.

In the first match have Andre the Giant, Ted DiBiase, Greg Valentine, Dino Bravo, One Man Gang, Butch Reed, and Don Muraco. This looks like a crappy MitB match, but the key would be to have DiBiase pay off the heels to keep the faces off of him so he could just leisurely climb up and take the briefcase.

In the second match you have Hulk Hogan, Ricky Steamboat, Randy Savage, Rick Rude, Bam Bam Bigelo, Jake Roberts, and Jim Duggan. Andre attacks Hogan at the start and they brawl out of the arena, We get an awesome MitB out of the rest (minus Duggan, I suppose) with Savage taking the briefcase. We still get the Main Event of Savage/Dibiase for the title without having to sit through twelve tournament matches to get there. Even the drama of the final match is preserved, as DiBiase is well-rested since he just bought the first match, and Savage is spent from wrestling in his match, much the same as when Savage had to wrestle three prior matches where DiBiase got a BYE for his third match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back