My idea for a Cruiserweight Title return

TempestH

Championship Contender
There have been many threads about Zack Ryder deserving a push because of his YouTube show, as well as threads demanding the return of the Cruiserweight Title. I realize that both of those things can be done in a single storyline.

Zack Ryder begins having backstage segments on RAW, using some of his Z! True Long Island Story humor. Mr. McMahon takes notice and is deeply disturbed by Ryder's antics.

Vince is afraid that he may have another CM Punk situation on his hands so he wants to appease Ryder so he doesn't do his own "shoot."

Eventually we see Vince come out to the ring with a metal briefcase. He opens the briefcase and announces his plan to revive the defunct Cruiserweight Championship. He claims that there was one exceptional individual who deserves it more than anyone in the world, and he calls out Zack Ryder. Taking note that Ryder is a cruiserweight, Vince awards Ryder with the title

Vince has no real interest in pushing Ryder or reviving the Cruiserweight division, BUT since Ryder already has his Internet Championship, he thinks to himself "why not just give him another toy to play with? That'll shut him up." The plan backfires (in kayfabe), and the cruiserweights actually get over.

There have been many threads about Zack Ryder deserving a push because of his YouTube show, as well as threads demanding the return of the Cruiserweight Title. I realize that both of those things can be done in a single storyline.

Zack Ryder begins having backstage segments on RAW, using some of his Z! True Long Island Story humor. Mr. McMahon takes notice and is deeply disturbed by Ryder's antics.

Vince is afraid that he may have another CM Punk situation on his hands so he wants to appease Ryder so he doesn't do his own "shoot."

Eventually we see Vince come out to the ring with a metal briefcase. He opens the briefcase and announces his plan to revive the defunct Cruiserweight Championship. He claims that there was one exceptional individual who deserves it more than anyone in the world, and he calls out Zack Ryder. Taking note that Ryder is a cruiserweight, Vince awards Ryder with the title

Vince has no real interest in pushing Ryder or reviving the Cruiserweight division, BUT since Ryder already has his Internet Championship, he thinks to himself "why not just give him another toy to play with? That'll shut him up." The plan backfires (in kayfabe), and the cruiserweights actually get over.

I would love to see the cruiserweights get over again in the mainstream, but I think that TNA would lock up their X Division stars before that were to ever happen again. Besides, the "Light Heavyweight" Championship in the late 90's WWF was a joke. WCW owned souls with the Cruiserweights, they just failed to realize that the cruiserweights had as much talent and draw as the big guys (Ex. - Jericho, Mysterio).

Now that TNA is starting to venture out from Orlando, you can expect them to showcase the X Division with more priority than WCW did in the past. By the way, Zack Ryder would never be able to hang with the X Division. Just saying.

Zack Ryder would never be able to hang with the X Division. Just saying.

My idea is that The new Cruiserweight division would be the "anti X-Division." The X-Division "isn't about weight limits, it's about no limits." That could come off as being "biased towards high flyers."

The cruiserweight division IS about weight limits. However, it is not limited to just the high flyers; that is just the wrestling style that the majority of these smaller wrestlers use. A bigger cruiserweight who wrestles a style such as Ryder's could, in theory, get people to notice the Cruiserweight division as "so much more than a bunch of guys jumping around." The cruiserweight division "IS about weight limits, but it doesn't matter what you do in the ring" which means that if you're under the weight limit, you won't be shunned from the division just because you can't do a springboard tornado DDT or something.

Ryder could either hold on to it for a long time, or drop it after a month. His only purpose is really being the storyline that jumpstarts the title's revival.

No, bring back the LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT title, fans will remember how the Cruiserweight was turned into a running joke, so bring back or even DEBUT a new belt "Junior Middleweight" for WWE to really seperate the heavies and the lighter guys.

Giving Ryder the belt?
Not yet, I'd give it to someone like Sin Cara who's being pushed and to help him out, then I'd possibly have Ryder be the guy to take the belt off of Cara, but that is just me.

If the WWE was to bring back a version of the Cruiserweight Title, I would not want Zack Ryder to be a part of the storyline. I would much rather it be re-introduced in the final match of an Evan Bourne v Sin Cara feud.

You would be guaranteed a great series of matches with these guys and adding the vacant Cruiserweight Title as the prize in the final Ladder match would add the extra spice to make the fued even more exciting.

In order to make the Cruiserweight title mean something to the fans, you would have to show them something special in the match, and Ryder is not the man to do it. Cara and Bourne would put on a show-stealer, and show how far they were willing to go to win the belt with all their risk-taking. Ryder could always compete for the title, but not in the storyline regarding its re-introduction.

My idea is that The new Cruiserweight division would be the "anti X-Division." The X-Division "isn't about weight limits, it's about no limits." That could come off as being "biased towards high flyers."

The cruiserweight division IS about weight limits. However, it is not limited to just the high flyers; that is just the wrestling style that the majority of these smaller wrestlers use. A bigger cruiserweight who wrestles a style such as Ryder's could, in theory, get people to notice the Cruiserweight division as "so much more than a bunch of guys jumping around." The cruiserweight division "IS about weight limits, but it doesn't matter what you do in the ring" which means that if you're under the weight limit, you won't be shunned from the division just because you can't do a springboard tornado DDT or something.

Ryder could either hold on to it for a long time, or drop it after a month. His only purpose is really being the storyline that jumpstarts the title's revival.

So you want a mid-card championship with storyline? Just tell WWE to start using the US and IC titles like they were meant to be used - to build legitimacy to the midcarders.

Am I the only one that remembers the winners of the US Title getting an automatic title match against the world heavyweight champion? IE - Goldberg cashing in against Hogan in the Georgia Dome on Nitro?

I thought the X Division was somewhat of an "anti-cruiserweight" or rather "non-cruiserweight exclusive" concept seeing as past champions have included Samoa Joe, Kurt Angle and even Abyss recently, so I don't know where the idea that by them saying it's about "no limits" can be biased towards a set build of competitors? Also let's not forget that one of TNA/IW's most technical competitors Douglas Williams held the X belt for a few months and was vocally "anti-high-flying" during that reign. I'm maybe interpreting what you said/meant wrong but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

I wouldn't mind seeing the light-heavyweight belt make a return, but at the same time I don't mind if it doesn't return either as I get my high-flyin' fix from the other company. If it did return I could see it being Smackdown exclusive as there seems to be a link between high-flyers and poor/mediocre mic skills generally, so them practising their mic work on an editable show would make sense.

I'm not completely sure on this but wasn't there a weight limit for the Cruiserweight title of 180 pounds. When Matt Hardy first turned heel and did his whole Hardy V.1 thing he had to lose weight so he can hold the belt. Zack Ryder is well over 180 pounds, 214 as a matter of fact. which is what it states on WWE's website. I do agree that the Cruiserweight or Light Heavyweight Championship should make a return. WWE has such talent that they don't showcase but finally can if they bring back one of these straps. Sin Cara, Trent Barreta, Rey Mysterio, Daniel Bryan, Evan Bourne, Justin Gabriel, Primo, Tyson Kidd, and Yoshi Tatsu. WWE also has tons of guys in their developmental promotion.

I don't know about this. First, I think that before a new belt can be introduced successfully, the current belts should be made meaningful and relevant. In other words, if the WWE can't give prestige or interesting stories surrounding the intercontinental or US championships, then there's no reason to think they can do the same with a new belt being introduced.

Second, no offense to the original poster, but after reading through the scenario I was left with a dumbfounded "huh?" McMahon giving a belt to Ryder because he's afraid of his show? That didn't make much sense to me. If a new belt were introduced, in order to get it off with a bang there would probably be a tournament or at least one match where the winner gets the belt.

McMahon just tossing a belt to some guy who hasn't even wrestled a match on television in a long time is not a way to give honor or prestige or even interest in a new title, if one were to be introduced.That would be a failed experiment before it even started.

Another one of these???? Really?????

Alright, what the hell, I'll play along on this one.

If the WWE ever decided to bring back a Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight title, I think they'd need to come up with a different name for it. American fans simply do not generally respond to titles and wrestlers that are limited by weight restrictions. American fans generally just wanna see two guys get in the ring together, regardless of size differences, and just see who the better man is.

TNA has the X Division. Now, technically speaking, the X Division isn't a cruiserweight division even though wrestlers that are under the 220 pound mark have historically made up the VAST majority of people that have competed in the division. The WWE could call it something like...I dunno...the Ace Division Championship or something. Just don't label it a light heavyweight division or it'll never really get off the ground.

Talk about it on Raw and on SmackDown! and, of course, feature matches with wrestlers that'll be competing in it. Of the wrestlers I'd put into the division, I'd probably put:

Daniel Bryan, Tyson Kidd, Yoshi Tatsu, Zack Ryder, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel, Evan Bourne, Sin Cara, Rey Mysterio, Cody Rhodes, etc. I'd also put a few bigger guys in there sometimes like Kane or Mark Henry to sort of balance things out.

I have a few questions about the whole thing. First do we really need another mid-card title. We basically have 3 already with the IC, US, and Tag titles. If they had a cruiserweight that was deserving the title, why not just give him the IC or US title.

Before they bring back/add any new titles, should they fix the IC/US titles first. The IC/US titles should be used as a step to bigger things. It used to be that if you held the IC title, there was a good chance that guy would be a top title player in the near future.

The thing I dont like about the a Cruiserweight title, is that with few exceptions, I always felt that it separated them from the Heavyweight titles.

All these mid-card titles are now plateus, not steps to bigger things.
Cruiserweight Title

That would never work. You want to know why? The Cruiserweight Championship is never coming back. I am so tired of seeing threads asking how it could come back. They retired it when they realized there was no need for it. All of the guys who could compete for it are competing for the US and IC titles. This was better than most of the ideas I have seen on here for bringing that title back, but none of them will work because the title is NEVER coming back.

I would like a revival of the cruiserweights but it isnt realistic in the slightest, people have wanted it for years and those who craved that style so much watch tna for their x division which is apparently being reborn. Yay.

My question is this. Why did they have 2 womens championships? only to get rid of the more prestigious title and keep a shitty metal looking butterfly belt, the mind boggles.

Cm Punk > Cena

Two above posters said, so I will third it......

No way the WWE needs another useless title. The US, IC, Divas, and even the tag team titles mean nothing. Most of the time they are not even featured on PPV's. Let alone on TV.

Another one of these???? Really?????

Alright, what the hell, I'll play along on this one.

If the WWE ever decided to bring back a Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight title, I think they'd need to come up with a different name for it. American fans simply do not generally respond to titles and wrestlers that are limited by weight restrictions. American fans generally just wanna see two guys get in the ring together, regardless of size differences, and just see who the better man is.

No. Wrong. Fail. Sorry buddy. WCW was hugely popular because of its cruiserwieghts and the NWO/Hogans etc. It had a great balance.

People love TNA/Impact wrestling because of its variety and loved the x division.

Smackdown used to be huge and AMAZING with its balance of cruiserweights and heavyweights.

ECW is remembered as having the best combo of technical wrestling, cruiserweight wrestling AND especially hardcore wrestling.

Dont even get me started on the greats in japan and fucking UFC.

Yeah, UFC FEATURES lightheavyweight title matches or middleweight matches as there MAIN event. Thats how big their "STARS" are. Could you ever imagine WWE treating a US champion as the same level as the World champion? I cant! But UFC does it all the time. They are all equals....just different weight classes. Same with TNA/Impact. Thats why the X-division was so successful and considered equal to the TNA title for so many years.

There is a market for it...and WWE is missing out on it! Everyone in this damn world loves evan bourne......but hes getting nowhere because he has no title to shine. Its sad.

Let me start by saying Zack Ryder marks will find anyway they can to put him in a storyline. IF WWE every considers a Cruiserweight/X Division belt Ryder would be far down the line of guys they would consider putting it on IMHO. Ryder couldn't hang with the lower level X Division guys in TNA, I think Ryder is a good comedy act with a decent in ring set, but he is nothing more than a mid- carder at most, he def. does not need a division built around him. That being said I will appease the Ryder marks by saying I would have put him in the U.S. or IC title picture as soon as ECW ended, I think he had a lot of steam coming off the heals of an ECW push and would have been ideal to throw into that mix.

As far as a Cruiserweight title, I don't think it is needed. I feel that having the belt before took a lot away from talented guys. The belt was bottom of the bucket and the most promotion it ever got was when Taka Mitchinoku held it. I think having say Evan Bourne vs. Sin Cara looks good on a card, I think if you attached just another belt to it, it would take something away from it unless it was the IC or U.S. title. I felt that the CW title took a lot away from the Gregory Helms character, IMHO Helms could have easily had a run at the U.S. title on Smack Down had it not been for him having the CW title and wrestling Jimmy Wang Yang, Funaki and Scotty 2 Hotty week in and week out. I always felt Taka Mitchinoku, Essa Rios and Brian Christopher kind of got held back a lot on the same token, especially Christopher. I know he had personal issues, but I think he could have had a decent mid- card run with his character as Lawler's annoying kid. I do think that the U.S. and IC titles would be good belts to put on some of these guys to get them over. I think an Evan Bourne/Kofi Kingston feud for the U.S. title would make for some really exciting matches or pair up Sin Cara and Justin Gabriel on Smack Down or Give Tyson Kidd, Primo and JTG some TV time and just let them wrestle. There are plenty of ways to get a cruiserweight fix with WWE without adding a pointless strap.

I'm not completely sure on this but wasn't there a weight limit for the Cruiserweight title of 180 pounds. When Matt Hardy first turned heel and did his whole Hardy V.1 thing he had to lose weight so he can hold the belt. Zack Ryder is well over 180 pounds, 214 as a matter of fact. which is what it states on WWE's website. I do agree that the Cruiserweight or Light Heavyweight Championship should make a return. WWE has such talent that they don't showcase but finally can if they bring back one of these straps. Sin Cara, Trent Barreta, Rey Mysterio, Daniel Bryan, Evan Bourne, Justin Gabriel, Primo, Tyson Kidd, and Yoshi Tatsu. WWE also has tons of guys in their developmental promotion.

220 was the original limit back during WCW, I want to say they imported that over as well too when the title came back. I remember watching in awe as Disco Inferno spent the first hour of a Nitro attempting to drop weight, and always marveled at how guys like Jericho, Guerrero, and Benoit all started off as crusierweight guys in WCW only to go on to be world champs in WWE.

No Cruiserweighters should compete with the mid card. Giving them their own title just makes them look like high-flyers who have no talent so have to be given their own title. I do like the idea of having a Cruiserweight title but make it like an X-Division and at least give the highflying guys a good balance bewteen ground and air like Christian.

Vince (or should I say Triple H for now) would never pander to Ryder's demands. Punk was actually a valuable asset and had some material to shoot about. What does Ryder have to shoot about besides not getting pushed due to a lame gimmick that will never get him anywhere. And just to play along with this, wouldnt Vince just make the internet championship an actual WWE title if he wanted to please Zack? And who would fight for the Cruiserweight title? Hell I dont even know if Ryder himself would be eligible for the title since he doesnt really look like a cruiserweight anymore (at least he realized that his size was something holding him back too). Lets see, actual cruiserweights (going by the oldschool wwe standards) would be Evan Bourne, Kofi, Trent Barretta...and well thats pretty much it. How about instead of begging for a "if it aint broke dont fix it" situation with WWE's cruiserweights, WWE spends some time trying to bring back prestige to the titles they already have like the tag team (I honestly keep forgetting who the champs are), the Divas title (and the division too, PLEASE), the US title (cant remember the last time it was defended...in a situation where I actually cared enough to watch it), and the IC title (give Zeke somebody who doesnt need a stable around him to pick up a win).

-sorry man, ryder may do some stuff on a youtube video... er numerous utube videos but he lacks something called talent, hence the reason he gets no puch, cause he sucks. oh and cause VKM and possibly triple hhh (we have yet to see what HHH does) wont give him what he wants cause he demands it, ryder has to earn it, and talking on numerous videos isnt the way to do it.

-i do agree that the cruiserweight championship belt does deserve to be revived, cause lets face it, some guys arent at that world title level, at least the cruiserweight would be a pretty big title that they could easily bring back, plus having the title back could spark some interesting feuds that could put some of the smaller guys over and give them something to better their own careers. however its just a thought, i really wish the womens title would make a return as well, it was the oldest belt in the wwf/e and when it was unified with the divas title, that was a let down.

The WWE does not need to add another meaningless title into the mix and making one initially just so that Ryder can get a push is even more of a bad idea. Honestly I think the best thing he'll ever be known for is being Edge's lackey in his feud with Taker back in the day.

Anything can change but that's what I just see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back