New Head Writer on Smackdown Brand

The Dragon Saga

Whale in a Teardrop
Former WWE creative memeber, Court Bauer, tweeted about a change that has took place behind the scenes to the Smackdown brand.

"About 2 rollout but 1st want 2 send a congratulatory tweet out 2 Ed Koskey 4 being promoted 2 head writer of #WWE Smackdown! #iwantwrestling"

Michael Hayes was the previous head writer for Smackdown. He is still with the company but appears he will have a different role moving forward.

Taken from the front page.

Michael P.S Hayes is done as the head writer of Smackdown after five years as the head writer. And has been replaced by Ed Koskey who was the head writer of ECW on Syfy. I'm sure Hayes will still be in a fairly high creative role, but personally, I remember some of the storylines that happened on ECW and this really isn't that... Exciting?! Koskey wrote during the Monday Night Wars on the RAW brand too and beyond, he along with Bryan Gerwitz pitched the idea for Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Brock Lesnar at King of The Ring 2002, which ultimately saw Steve leave the WWE.

I guess it freshens things up a little bit, Hayes may have became a bit creatively dry and they see this as the reasonable change to bring newer things to Smackdown. Who knows?

Discuss if you wish.

Smackdown has writers! What the devil for?

Smackdown is a pretty good wrestling show, but the promos are a standard as they come. Nobody says interesting on Smackdown and nothing interesting, other than matches, ever happens. What exactly has Michael Hayes been writing for the past five years? Five promo bullet points which he then shares with the whole of the Smackdown roster, presumably.

The change will be obvious if this guy actually has any ideas.

Hayes needed to go. Smackdown is as cookie-cutter and repetitive as a wrestling show can get.

Easily the most formulaic wrestling show on television. I would say it's still better than Impact, because it's not a total clusterfuck. Anyhow, I don't see how this can be a bad thing. You can't get more basic than what Smackdown has been, so doing any one thing differently should be an improvement. I hope so, at least.

There have been some very well written and developed storylines over the last couple of years on SmackDown (Punk/Hardy and Undertaker/Kane immediately stand up to me), but a lot of the credit has to go to the performers for making those so entertaining. For example, the idea of Taker/Kane part 2000 was definitely not enticing for most of us when we first heard that it might happen. But Kane pulled off some excellent promos to keep the interest level up. So I'm not sure exactly where Hayes has succeeded and failed as far as the writing goes, but I agree in that as of late SmackDown has been very repetitive. If Koskey can break that repetition and come up with some new things, then this move is fine with me.

I know the man have to go, because every week I watch Friday Night and the show is getting boring. I know the Randy and Christian feud is fresh and have never done before, but the show really needs something new.

No wonder Mark Henry is getting a push :lmao:

All Jokes aside i believe change of writer on the show is good, Haye's did well for the show but it needs new and more refreshing ideas in order to see it progress, only a few talents are being uterlised on the show that was renouned for its wrestling in comparison to Raw's entertainment and needs more stars elevated in order to bring the brand back to its former prominence apart from Christian , Shemus and Orton no one really stands out and that my friends is not helping the WWE or Smackdown.

Like Jake says, if there is a change it will be seen easily. Smackdown and Superstars deserve the tagline "Wrestling Matters" more than any other show, because it is pretty apparent that only wrestling matters. The interesting storylines to come out of the blue brand have been few and far between.

Ed Koskey might have done some dumb things in the past but at this point, a change feels more than welcome. Let's face it, good wrestling is nothing without good entertainment and in ring action alone cannot hold most guys' attention span for a long time.

Well, I guess this could be good news. Smackdown has always been the "wrestling" show, so I hope this doesn't change that, but I do hope this means guys will get more mic time and, dare I say, more interesting storylines to work within. I don't know much about Koskey, but I got the impression from rumors and reports that Hayes' work was continually seen as stale by those in charge, namely Vince. I can't say I disagree, and I hope this can be the start of a new era for Smackdown.

My guess is that you won't see an obvious change in styles between Hayes and Koskey for at most a month, while already existing feuds and storylines finish, and then he has a proper oppurtunity to get his own ideas across. There will probably be a push for one of Koskey's favourites right out of the blue, and all round it should just be a general freshening up of the show, which can only be a good thing considering how easy it has been to predict the structure of Smackdowns show in the last couple of months.

Since Ed Koskey is the new head writer for SmackDown, I can definitely say that creativity on SD is definitely going through a transition. I hope that Koskey can make the blue brand a little better that what it is right now. However, I am keeping my expectations very low as I heard from Lagana that Vince sometimes doesn't allow creative to be "too creative".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back