New Japan Pro Wrestling News and Card Announcements Thread

Papa Pillman

I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
NJPW has released the cards for the two shows that will headline the New Beginning 2017 tour:

New Beginning In Sapporo 2/5

Hirai Kawato/KUSHIDA vs El Desperado/Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Yuji Nagata/Satoshi Kojima/Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Henare/David Finlay/YOSHITATSU.
*Should be interesting to see if they give Finlay somewhat of a breakout here by having him pin one of the legends on the other side

Tiger Mask/Jushin Liger/Katsuyori Shibata vs Jado/Gedo/Will Ospreay

YOSHI-HASHI vs Takashi Iizuka

Dragon Lee/Manabu Nakanishi/Ryusuke Taguchi/Hiroshi Tanahashi/Michael Elgin vs Los Ingobernables de Japon
*This match teases three separate title matches from the next major show card and should include a lot of fun build as a result

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
Roppongi Vice vs Taichi/TAKA Michinoku

NEVER Openweight Title
Hirooki Goto vs Juice Robinson
*This is Juice's first singles title shot and is a suitable and well-earned reward after playing his part admirably at WK11

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
Toru Yano/Tomohiro Ishii vs G.B.H. vs Killer Elite Squad.

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki
*The legendary MiSu, who holds two AJPW Triple Crown reigns and a reign with NOAH's GHC tile has never held the IWGP strap making this a potentially historic match, and Suzuki-gun as a whole has three chances to claim gold on this night after their big impact return

New Beginning In Osaka 2/11

Hirai Kawato/YOSHITATSU vs David Finlay/Henare

Satoshi Kojima/Hiroyoshi Tenzan/KUSHIDA vs El Desperado/Yoshinobu/Kanemaru/Takashi Iizuka

Tiger Mask/Jushin Liger/Yuji Nagata/Juice Robinson vs Jado/Gedo/YOSHI-HASHI/Hirooki Goto

Roppongi Vice/Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki/Taichi/TAKA Michinoku

NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Title
Manabu Nakanishi/Hiroshi Tanahashi/Ryusuke Taguchi vs BUSHI/EVIL/SANADA

RevPro British Heavyweight Championship
Katsuyori Shibata vs Will Ospreay
*Fucking Wow. Especally considering that Ospreay being a fulltime RevPro guy puts him in position to possibly even win this match, which would be his biggest singles win on a NJPW card

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
Toru Yano/Tomohiro Ishii vs G.B.H. vs Killer Elite Squad
*I have no clue what the thinking is running this same match on both cards, but I'm willing to give Gedo and Jado the benefit of the doubt as far as having a plan for why

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee
Any time these two get in the ring with each other one-on-one---> Take my fucking money!(if you've never seen them face off, check out their matches at either last year's Fantastica Mania or at ROH's ASE VIII)

IWGP Intercontinental Championship
Tetsuya Naito vs Michael Elgin

Both cards offer a lot on paper, especially the title matches. Most notably though to accompany the Suzuki-gun return is that there is absolutely ZERO Bullet Club presence at either event. It should be very interesting to see where the BC goes after New Beginning. I continue to smell a faction split that includes a faceturn of sorts for The Elite.

Man, what a twist it would be if Minoru actually beat Okada, imagine the heat that would generate. If they're serious about this Suzuki-gun angle, LIJ or at the very least, Naito seems destined for a face turn, and the BC is on its last leg, I can actually see them putting the big belt on Suzuki for a few months.

Takahashi is quickly becoming my favorite Junior in pro wrestling today. I really enjoyed alot of his stuff in ROH, working with The Addiction, and as you said, that first match with Dragon Lee was awesome. High hopes for the rematch for sure.

Ospreay and Shibata is very intriguing, considering Ospreay's affiliate with RevPro, but more so because their styles are quite different. I'll be interested to see whether Ospreay morphs into more of a strong style for this match or each guy sticks to his guns and Ospreay does the flying and Shibata just tries to kick his head off.

There's alot to look forward to on these cards, and the mystery surrounding Omega's status with the company will be something to keep a close eye on as well. Seems like NJPW is going to have a strong start to the year.

I actually just watched the Fantasticamania match and adored it, what both great talents. Hiromu has that "star" aura about him and seems like a genuine lunatic, compare him to Ambrose for example, who do you think is crazier?

Yeah I'm actually pegging Suzuki to win. By hook or by crook I believe he will get that belt. If not now then soon.

Chaos will retain on the first show then drop to KES.

Suzuki-gun returning as the new primary antagonists for CHAOS has my attention. Assuming they're filling the void left by a sabbatical taking Bullet Club, they need to win fairly big on these shows. There feels like an invasion aspect to this return and given how that played out in NOAH, I don't think it's overly far fetched to assume they take all the gold.

Okada needs something to do while Naito has the IC title, Shibata's tying up loose ends and Omega's on break. In turn, throwing the title on Suzuki makes him, his group and the return instantly meaningful as a big bad opposing Okada and the CHAOS leadership.

I would imagine that by the end of Osaka's show, K.E.S. have the tag titles and I see no reason Taichi and TAKA don't take the Junior titles. Both Ishii/Yano and Roppongi Vice feel like filler champions - there's more value in GBH vs. KES and portraying them as a little sympathetic, possibly beating CHAOS on show one only to lose them on show two via devious means accomplishes that.

In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't be at all shocked to see Shibata win the New Japan Cup and dethrone Suzuki in the ensuing title shot, holding the title for a long, long time. That match would be quite the spectacle and I think Suzuki's a great foe for Shibata's inevitable coronation.

ヒュー G. レックション;5632877 said:
I actually just watched the Fantasticamania match and adored it, what both great talents. Hiromu has that "star" aura about him and seems like a genuine lunatic, compare him to Ambrose for example, who do you think is crazier?

Yeah I'm actually pegging Suzuki to win. By hook or by crook I believe he will get that belt. If not now then soon.

Chaos will retain on the first show then drop to KES.

The major difference between Ambrose and Takahashi is that Ambrose's "crazy" spots generally come off as sloppy and forced while Hiromu's, while still high risk and at times unpredictable, still seem to look good.

Ambrose generally jumps off of things and hits someone with his elbow, whereas Hiromu just goes full out sacrificial, contorting his body into whatever position he decides in mid-air before the resulting crash and burn.

Maybe Ambrose working the "WWE style" has something to do with it, or maybe Takahashi is just more athletic. Some combination of the two seems pretty reasonable.

I think that after Okada has retained his title against Kenny Omega at Wrestle Kingdom 11,it's time for him to lose this title to Suzuki. I guess that Okada takes it back later in this year and we get Omega Vs. Okada II next year where Omega wins the title. I can always dream, you know. :rolleyes:

I'm doubtful about who wins the InterContinental Title. Naito is coming a big successful title defense against Hiroshi Tanahashi of all people. And Elgin has won the Rumble match. But I would still give the win to Naito.

Omega finally ends the speculation and confirms he'll be resigning with New Japan in February.

Hnnnnnnnngh.

Going to stick with my prediction of a New Japan Cup win and an IWGP Heavyweight Title win at Sakura Genesis to lead into G1 Special.

Omega finally ends the speculation and confirms he'll be resigning with New Japan in February.

Hnnnnnnnngh.

Going to stick with my prediction of a New Japan Cup win and an IWGP Heavyweight Title win at Sakura Genesis to lead into G1 Special.
Amongst all speculations regarding Omega going to WWE, I couldn't believe that Omega will leave it after having his best year but still without the ultimate title win. I mean, I would've loved to get Omega in WWE but I don't think that he will leave NJPW anytime before winning the IWGP Heavyweight title.

I know nothing about New Japan Cup but I think that Omega wins the G1 Climax again and then we get Okada-Omega II at Wrestle Kingdom 12 where Omega gets the big win and title.

New Japan Cup is a single elimination tournament in March where the winner ends up challenging for the singles belt of their choice at the April show. It's how Naito ended up getting the belt last year.

Winning the New Japan Cup is the most likely if they want him carrying the belt into California. Alternatively they could have him win the belt while in the States, but I see that as being the less likely of the two scenarios.

I don't know why but I think that there isn't a better place for Kenny Omega to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship than Wrestle Kingdom 12 itself.

As of now, the Wrestle Kingdom 11 is the highlight of his career and I think that only the big title at the same event a year later could pass it. Big moments need to take place at big events, in my opinion.

Hnnnnnnnngh.

I don't know what it is but I don't tend to believe him. I know that he makes a lot of sense but I just tend to have the feeling that it is a gigantic swerve on his part. It almost seems as if what he said is something that someone would say if they WERE going to show up in the Royal Rumble.

I don't think there is any doubt, at least to me, that the WWE have contacted him about making an offer. He has openly said that he had a lot to think about after WK11 and I think that a contract offer from the WWE was one of them. Whether he has chosen to accept that or not is anyone's guess and I guess we will have to wait and see what happens at the Rumble.

The point I am making is that Kenny Omega had been an expert troll since after WK11 and he has worked us all into a frenzy. I am going to try to stop speculating on his speculation because it doesn't mean anything. Until he either shows up at the Royal Rumble or he signs a new contract with NJPW, I'll just wait and see. And I reckon we should all do the same.

If you acknowledge that he's been an expert troll since WK11, can you not see that it's entirely possible that the entire thing has been a work and he's had no intention on leaving New Japan in the first place? His match with Okada combined with his "free agent" status has resulted in him being probably the most talked about wrestler this year, and with him now confirming his return to New Japan, he's going to be drawing more eyes to the company, just in time for them to have their first shows on North American turf.

I've no doubt that he's received offers from the WWE. They would be stupid not to have tried to bring him over. It's more a question of whether or not he actually entertained those offers, or if that was him working the fans and not this new situation of him saying that he's going back to NJPW.

Omega now confirmed to be working Revolution Pro April 14th, which as I'm sure you should be aware is a working partner with New Japan, and due to the iPPV nature of the show, is a promotion that Omega would be unable to work with under a WWE contract. So just for you Dave, that's it. It's officially settled, he's not working us by saying he's going back to New Japan just to end up in WWE instead.

So Okada vs Suzuki. Should be pretty good, but I think it'll have a hard time topping Styles vs Suzuki at G1 24. I would definitely not complain about being proven wrong though.

Well ladies and gentlemen, your IWGP champion... STILL Okada! I really don't know what to think of this result.

This match played out very differently to what most people imagined I expect. It wasn't really a back and forth contest. Instead it was Suzuki playing the detestable villain, working over Okada's leg and WK injuries at the press conference, and then utilising every trick to try and put Okada away.

In hindsight it makes sense. Suzuki is 48(!) years old. YTR of all people pinned him several times. For Suzuki to be on par with Okada (which would then imply he's on equal footing with Omega) is slightly absurd.

I think this matches more testament to Okada's greatness. This was a completely different style of match, it told the story well. Okada is my favourite wrestler going. However I think Suzuki should've won this.

Suzuki did literally everything to perfection, his plan worked... I almost felt like he earned the belt. I actually thought for a moment Okada was going to tap, Suzuki kept resorting to the most basic of submissions but yet it worked so well.

But then Okada still manages to win. I'm sure many will be making Cena comparisons. I can't help but feel that's appropriate. It's not like losinto Suzuki would've made him look weak. He already had injuries, I think this would've been an ideal time for him to drop the belt.

And of course my question from before "Who beats Okada now?"

Okada is one of the few wrestlers in New Japan who is able to speak clearly enough for me to somewhat understand (my reading and writing is far better than my speaking and listening, funnily enough most foreigners learning Japanese are the opposite haha). Okada said his usual "Please allow me to say three things.";
1) Suzuki... until now I've always hated you. Tonight... I hate you even more.
2) The New Japan Cup is coming. Anyone who has the balls to win and challenge me, step up!
3) Nothing especially... Ah but there's something I've forgotten. There's someone I want to challenge. He probably won't compete in the New Japan Cup... Tiger Mask W!

I'm still pulling for Omega to win the NJC and then take the title at Sakura Genesis. It just seems the most logical booking if he's going to end up holding the belt when they make their trip stateside.

Honor Rising is tonight. It's a pretty basic card, but I can't help but feel that something is going to happen between Omega and Cole. They've teased some tension between the two in a couple Being the Elite episodes, and we all know what happened to Omega's partner in his first real match back last time he lost a title match at Wrestle Kingdom. That could easily just be me looking too between the lines though.

I just wanted to say Elgin vs Naito was an excellent match, and I believe a deliberate attempt by them to try to outdo Onega vs Okada haha.

I haven't watched any of the Honor Rising shows yet. The New Japan Cup... I really have no idea who will win! When I think about it I really am terrible at predicting New Japan outcomes.

Since it's close to my birthday I got myself a ticket and will be at Sakura Genesis!

New Japan Cup brackets have been announced. Block B is decidedly more stacked than Block A, with 4 guys in B that could realistically win (Omega, Suzuki, Ishii and Shibata) to Tanahashi (and MAYBE Elgin) in A.

I'm predicting the finals goes down to Tanahashi (beating EVIL, Honma and Elgin) and Omega (beating Ishii, SANADA and Suzuki) before Omega takes it and sets up his IWGP Heavyweight title rematch at Sakura Genesis.

First off, Suzuki vs. Shibata should be ridiculously nasty and brutal. Those two just seem like they were destined to butt heads at some point. In fact, if this first bout ends up being any good, then I could easily see them working an elongated programme to help elevate Shibata to the main event.

As for who's going to win the whole thing, I'm not certain, but the obvious final for block one is Tanahashi vs. Elgin and Omega vs. the winner of Suzuki/Shibata is the likely outcome in block two. Elgin vs. Omega would be the most intriguing outcome for me simply because both men have legitimate stakes in the IC and Heavyweight Championship pictures, and therefore with both guys hanging around and probably going after Naito and Okada sooner rather than later, it makes sense to me to have them square-off in a fairly intriguing fresh match-up in New Japan.

But an all gaijin final might be off the cards, so, either Tanahashi vs. Omega or Elgin vs. Shibata or Suzuki would both be quite intriguing. That said, New Japan tend to throw a curve ball in there to make things interesting so who knows, maybe we'll finally get that Toru Yano vs. Yoshi-Hashi match that everyone's always wanted...

There were seeds of tension planted between Kenny Omega and Adam Cole at a recent NJPW event. Reportedly, Omega worked as more of a face than a heel.

Now that looks like the end of Omega from Bullet Club.

I think that Omega gets in the finals of New Japan Cup and then get screwed by the next leader of Bullet Club thus turning him into a babyface. It may even be Adam Cole himself.

Then we get a face Omega against Okada at next Wrestle Kingdom where Omega gets his moment and the ultimate title as well. Perfect story.

So, I just got the brackets for New Japan Cup.

Ist Round said:
Block A
Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs. Evil
Tomoaki Honma Vs. Tanga Roa
Michael Elgin Vs. Bad Luck Fale
Toru Yano Vs. Tama Tonga

Block 2
Katsuyori Shibata Vs. Minoru Suzuki
Juice Robinson Vs. Yujiro Takahashi
Tomohiro Ishii Vs. Kenny Omega
Yoshi-Hashi Vs. Sanada

Most interesting matches in Ist round for me are Omega Vs. Ishi and Shibata Vs. Suzuki. Also Honma shall be out due to injury so no idea who will replace him.

Since it's my first time, I'll try to predict the results.

2nd Round said:
Block A
Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs. Tanga Roa
Michael Elgin Vs. Toru Yano

Block B
Minoru Suzuki Vs. Juice Robinson
Kenny Omega Vs. Yoshi-Hashi
Only interested in Suzuki Vs. Robinson.

Semifinals said:
Block A
Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs. Michael Elgin

Block B
Minoru Suzuki Vs. Kenny Omega
Interested in both matches.

Final said:
Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs. Kenny Omega

And the winner is Hiroshi Tanahashi. The new leader of Bullet Club. That's a bold prediction, I know. But I think that Kenny Omega will be screwed by the new leader of Bullet Club thus turning him face.

Welp, there goes all of our predictions for Block A, with Tanahashi and Elgin both being eliminated in the first round, though this pretty well guarantees a Block B victory. EVIL is pretty much a given to be in the finals now, though with how good Kenny does comedy, I.. would not object to a Yano/Omega finals. I will admit that I enjoyed their G1 match far more than I probably should have, and they had some pretty entertaining interactions at the 45th Anniversary show (Nice to see a wrestling company that knows what an anniversary is. I'm looking at you and your "25th Anniversary of Wrestlemania during Wrestlemania 25", WWE). It SHOULDN'T happen, but selfish guilty pleasure, I would probably enjoy it if it did :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back