New Japan Pro Wrestling News and Card Announcements Thread

I disagree, this rematch has Omega winning written all over it. G1 Special in USA is just 3 weeks later, and NJPW would be insane to not have the belt on Omega for it.

Omega to win the rematch and holding the belt until at least Wrestle Kingdom 12, with Okada winning the G1 Climax to set up the rubber match. Kenny holding or dropping the title there will likely be indicative of his future status with the company, as he said he only planned to re-sign a one year with the company, but I've heard nothing that proves that's what actually happened.

Here are the BOSJ blocks:

BOTSJ%20Block%20A_zpshqymtkgk.jpg

BOTSJ%20Block%20B_zpswcdsdnfe.jpg

As has become tradition with Gedo booking these round robin tournaments, one block makes the other look like a joke by comparison. At least this time the formula is flipped for that block to be the A-block.

The A-block is borderline as strong as any G-1 block will be, boasting Ricochet, Dragon Lee, Ospreay, Scurll, Liger, and Hiromu in its ranks. Just fucking wow. I expect the A-block to produce a couple show of the year contenders.

The B-block, conversely, sets up perfectly as the KUSHIDA redemption tour, as hes ten heads and twenty shoulders over the rest of the block. I expect a 7-0 Kushida run through the block. The block should still produce some entertaining matches though.

Either way, the A-block should carry this tournament to unreal levels of awesome.

Block A is decidedly more stacked, but B is by no means terrible. KUSHIDA, Volador Jr and ACH are all top notch, Bushi is pretty solid when he puts in the effort, and Taguchi is good when he works a serious style. Kanemaru and Tiger Mask IV are both Junior legends, and Desperado is someone I'm not super familiar with but he's been decent when I've seen him (plus they need someone to counteract Taichi in the A Block).

In a vacuum the B-block is no slouch; but it's clearly lacking top flight guys by comparison. KUSHIDA is clearly the star; while I think Volador is great and the second best guy in the block, he's still the lesser CMLL competitor in the tournament. As for the old guard, Taguchi has been great throughout 2017 but needs to avoid a lot of the comedy which I don't trust that he will, while Tiger Mask IV has been somewhat rejuvenated by working alongside Ibushi, but he's still hard to trust to deliver nightly high level performances in this format. Bushi and Despy are solid and better than the SZG guys, yet still are rarely going to blow anyone away in singles competition. Lastly, Admittedly my view on the Block would be higher if my view of ACH was higher- but I've always found ACH highly overrated and overhyped and prefer the entire A-block that isn't Suzuki Gun to him as workers.

I disagree, this rematch has Omega winning written all over it. G1 Special in USA is just 3 weeks later, and NJPW would be insane to not have the belt on Omega for it.

Omega to win the rematch and holding the belt until at least Wrestle Kingdom 12, with Okada winning the G1 Climax to set up the rubber match. Kenny holding or dropping the title there will likely be indicative of his future status with the company, as he said he only planned to re-sign a one year with the company, but I've heard nothing that proves that's what actually happened.
Damn. I totally forgot about the USA tour.

Kenny Omega being the champion will certainly help in USA. Atleast more than Kazuchika Okada.

Yeah, I agree that Okada wins the G1 Climax to set up the third match at Wrestle Kingdom 12. If Kenny Omega is going to leave then he won't retain but if he isn't leaving then I'm not sure about it.

I also agree that Block A looks much competitive than Block B. Kushida winning the Block B is almost a certainty. Block A has all the uncertainty. Takahashi won't win and I don't see either Ricochet or Will Ospreay winning it as well. Lee, Liger and Scurll look like the favorites to me.

Are you guys disappointed that Dominion's main events are rematches of WK's? No way I am! Although if Shibata were still going I would've liked him to dethrone Naito here.

I really think Omega vs Okada could go either way. But Okada vs Naito should without question in my mind be the WK main event, both Naito and Okada are absolutely on fire and it's the biggest match they have.

So how do they get to that? Well my gut says Okada will retain against Kenny and Naito will win the G1. But if Kenny wins, he could drop it to Naito at KOPW and Okada could win the G1.

ヒュー G. レックション;5693453 said:
Are you guys disappointed that Dominion's main events are rematches of WK's? No way I am! Although if Shibata were still going I would've liked him to dethrone Naito here.

I really think Omega vs Okada could go either way. But Okada vs Naito should without question in my mind be the WK main event, both Naito and Okada are absolutely on fire and it's the biggest match they have.

So how do they get to that? Well my gut says Okada will retain against Kenny and Naito will win the G1. But if Kenny wins, he could drop it to Naito at KOPW and Okada could win the G1.
I think that if Kenny Omega wins the title at Dominion 6.11 then Kenny Omega Vs. Kazuchika Okada III is a much bigger match than Tetsuya Naito Vs. Kazuchika Okada for the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 12.

Considering that Kenny Omega could leave after next year's Wrestle Kingdom, you don't want to have him 1-1 against your ace Kazuchika Okada. A trilogy is almost a must. Either don't give Kenny Omega the title or give him the title as well as a second consecutive main event of Wrestle Kingdom. I don't think that Kenny Omega would've re-signed his contract if he wasn't given a assured title win. He has said multiple times that IWGP World Heavyweight Championship is his ultimate goal.

Also considering that NJPW wants an expansion in USA, Kenny Omega will be much important than Tetsuya Naito or even Kazuchika Okada. If you want an expansion in a certain area, you should always have a strong representative of that arena alongside yourselves. Kenny Omega could be viable factor in NJPW's expansion in USA. Canada won't be too far either since Omega is a Canadian himself.

So, I think that Omega wins the title and so does Hiroshi Tanahashi at Dominion 6.11.

I think that if Kenny Omega wins the title at Dominion 6.11 then Kenny Omega Vs. Kazuchika Okada III is a much bigger match than Tetsuya Naito Vs. Kazuchika Okada for the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 12.

Considering that Kenny Omega could leave after next year's Wrestle Kingdom, you don't want to have him 1-1 against your ace Kazuchika Okada. A trilogy is almost a must. Either don't give Kenny Omega the title or give him the title as well as a second consecutive main event of Wrestle Kingdom. I don't think that Kenny Omega would've re-signed his contract if he wasn't given a assured title win. He has said multiple times that IWGP World Heavyweight Championship is his ultimate goal.

Also considering that NJPW wants an expansion in USA, Kenny Omega will be much important than Tetsuya Naito or even Kazuchika Okada. If you want an expansion in a certain area, you should always have a strong representative of that arena alongside yourselves. Kenny Omega could be viable factor in NJPW's expansion in USA. Canada won't be too far either since Omega is a Canadian himself.

So, I think that Omega wins the title and so does Hiroshi Tanahashi at Dominion 6.11.

Agreed. The rematch could be very indicative of what Omega's future is with New Japan. If he wins the title, that extends the speculation as to whether or not he's done with them after Wrestle Kingdom next year. If he wins the title in the rematch and retains in a rubber match at Wrestle Kingdom, then he's going to be in New Japan for several more years as the departures of Styles, Gallows, Anderson & Nakamura resulted in New Japan going back to multi-year contracts instead of a single year at a time. If he fails to win the title at the rematch, my guess is that Wrestle Kingdom will be his last appearance for the company.

I don't quite buy the logic that Omega needs to be the champion when they do the USA shows. They have already sold out right? So it makes no difference.

I do believe Naito is more over than Omega, more merchandise and he gets bigger reactions. If you compare the pops they got at Sakura Genesis for example (both were in tag matches).

My ideal WK would be Okada vs Naito and Omega vs Ibushi for the IC. So I would've liked Naito to drop to W/Ibushi, but it's probably not possible now.

Although of course I would absolutely not object to an Okada Omega main event! But I'm going to lean towards Okada retaining at Dominion... I'll be happy with either result. Which is something I often say about New Japan haha

Could we get a 60 minute draw at Dominion?

ヒュー G. レックション;5693657 said:
I don't quite buy the logic that Omega needs to be the champion when they do the USA shows. They have already sold out right? So it makes no difference.
Yes, USA shows have indeed been sold out. But it makes a lot of difference. If you want to appeal to a certain area, you do need a strong representative from that area so as to show that you are actually interested in expansion throughout that area. Okada won't do it. Naito won't do it. Even Tanahashi won't do it. Omega will. Just see Jinder Mahal getting a title shot in WWE for appealing to India. However not many people care about him as of now.

I do believe Naito is more over than Omega, more merchandise and he gets bigger reactions. If you compare the pops they got at Sakura Genesis for example (both were in tag matches).
I don't know about who's more over or who sells merchandise or who gets more bigger reactions. I'll assume that Naito is. But what you're forgetting is that it all happened in Japan. Not USA. Japan will tend to be more active towards Japanese and rightfully so. But are you sure that same will happen in USA or Canada? The latter is indeed Omega's home country. Canada loves its wrestlers. Just watch TakeOver Toronto for this and see how Tye Dillinger and Bobby Roode got huge pops. Even when the latter was a heel.

It all depends on the expansion. If you want a successful expansion, you have to cater to the needs of the area where you intend to expand. Or else expansion won't be as successful as you want.

ヒュー G. レックション;5693767 said:
So would you support Mahal being WWE champion if they toured in India? I'm sure Omega will headline, champion or otherwise.
As of now, no way. I would rather watch Ethan Carter III in IMPACT Wrestling or Drew Galloway in NXT or even Tye Dillinger on Smackdown.

I'll likely give him him some more time to connect with me. The stuff he has done until now has been generic to me. His sudden push hasn't helped his case either. One week, you get almost squashed by Mojo Rawley and next week, you're the new No. 1 contender for Randy Orton's WWE Championship.

Kenny Omega is on a whole different level though. He may headline regardless of being the champion or not. But people will care more if they get to know that an individual from their area is a "World" champion. And that's why I'm supporting Omega for the title win.

Had a big catch up of events since WrestleKingdom and New Years Dash over the weekend. First off, just ban headshots/headbutts/piledrivers. I get that it's strong style and the warrior spirit and all that, but you've got both Honma and Shibata likely retired within a space of a few weeks with spinal and head related issues. It's dangerous to people's lives and with what we know about concussions and brain injuries/disorders now, let alone spinal traumas, this stuff just needs to go away. We're ten years on from the Benoit tragedy and still we're being deliberately ignorant to the fact that this shit kills people. Just, I don't get it.

Anyway, rant over.

I've enjoyed the sheer variety of Okada's big time matches. The wrestling clinic with Omega, the cerebral dissection by Suzuki, the fun exhibition versus Tiger Mask W, the war with Shibata (sans that headbutt) and the battle for survival against Fale. Okada's machine like and is probably the best wrestler, from an in-ring perspective, this year thus far. That machine like nature is maybe a negative, certainly abroad as New Japan tries to expand. He doesn't have the larger than life personality or the infectious energy that Naito and Tanahashi have respectively. He's a bit like Randy Orton - excellent on a mechanical level but when it comes to the personality aspect he's maybe lacking, especially as a babyface. Jury is still out on Okada as the undisputed king.

Pleased to see Minoru Suzuki finally win a singles title in New Japan and the Openweight belt is perfect for someone like him. If he gets to tangle with the likes of Ishii or even a Fale or KUSHIDA, we could be in for a fun time. Give him a nice long reign with that title and I'll be happy. Takahashi's been excellent so far as the new guy to beat in the Junior Heavyweight division. His squash of KUSHIDA was both shocking and highly effective. He looks like a monster now and whoever knocks him off in Best of the Super Juniors (assuming someone does) is going to have a major feather in their cap.

Looking forward, with the two WK rematches coming up; Naito either needs to drop that IC title and move back up into the Heavyweight title picture, or score a decisive and definitive victory over Tanahashi. Another, back-and-forth win isn't really going to do him that many favours. Naito vs. Okada is obviously the big money match and they've got to get there while making Naito looking like he can measure up to the thus far, unstoppable face of the company.

Okada vs. Omega is intriguing as I can see both guys picking up the win. As others have noted, I think this could very well be indicative of where Omega's future lies, though I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see them throw the title on Omega to set up the rubber match for the fall or even the 4th of January. If Omega does lose though, I think we might just see the Bullet Club split in twain and go the nWo Wolfpac/Hollywood route. Lots of possibilities in this one and that's what makes it so very intriguing.

Had a big catch up of events since WrestleKingdom and New Years Dash over the weekend. First off, just ban headshots/headbutts/piledrivers. I get that it's strong style and the warrior spirit and all that, but you've got both Honma and Shibata likely retired within a space of a few weeks with spinal and head related issues. It's dangerous to people's lives and with what we know about concussions and brain injuries/disorders now, let alone spinal traumas, this stuff just needs to go away. We're ten years on from the Benoit tragedy and still we're being deliberately ignorant to the fact that this shit kills people. Just, I don't get it.
I don't think that headshots/headbutts/piledrivers will be banned in NJPW. How about decreasing the intensity as well as no. of times it's actually executed in any match? I think that it'll be more safe if such risky stuff is done in lesser quantity. I'm not supporting the use of risky moves. What I'm saying that if done to lesser extent, it'll serve everyone's purpose. You'll have safety for the wrestlers which is most important. The fans of "Strong Style" won't mind it as well. And less quantity also leads it to becoming more rare & special.

Thinking more about Best Of Super Juniors Tournament, the winner seems to be from Block B. Yes, the block isn't as stacked as Block A. But the champion is in Block A itself. So if the winner is from Block A, we'll likely be seeing a rematch at Dominion 6.11 instead of a fresh match. Plus, New Japan Cup's booking has shown that some favorites don't even get anywhere near to winning it.

From Block B, we have already seen Kushida face Takahashi couple of times. Bushi has also gotten his title shot. Either ACH or Volador Jr. could go on to win this tourney.

C_q1ghdUQAAGXcG.0.jpg

Last night before the ROH/NJPW co-promoted War of the Worlds event in the Hammerstein, New Japan officially unveiled its first new singles title since 2012- the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship.

The belt will be awarded to the winner of a round-robin tournament that will occur at the July 1 and 2 NJPW G-1 special events in Long Beach, California.

Jay Lethal is the first official entrant, and Adam Page teased his participation in the tournament as well.

Agreed. There are plenty of ways for wrestlers to deliver stiff shots or, better yet, shots that look stiff that don't have result in cranial or spinal trauma. I mean, I thought the point of pro wrestling was to look like you were beating the hell out of somebody without actually doing it. Chops to the chest, back & stomach, for instance, are perfectly acceptable as it's the loud slapping sound that gets a rise out of fans in the first place. The whole warrior spirit nonsense is all well and good, but it's 2017 for Christ's sake and IF New Japan is able to gain a foothold in the United States and possibly compete with WWE somewhere down the road, they'll probably have to change at some point down the line if/when they start getting the same criticism WWE used to.

ヒュー G. レックション;5693767 said:
So would you support Mahal being WWE champion if they toured in India?

Mahal has done okay in his push so far, he hasn't blown me away or anything, but he's putting forth a good effort and it's honestly going better than I expected it to. If WWE toured India as WWE Champion, I'd at least give him a shot but I don't think it'll happen. At some point, WWE is supposed to be having an Asian tournament similar to the UK tournament in January to crown a WWE Asian Champion, so it's entirely possible that WWE could use said champion to tour Asian countries by developing working relationships with some of the various promotions.

In India's case, given the massive population, they might be best off shooting a TV program based around an Indian title like they're doing in the UK.

IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental titles both confirmed to be being defended during the G1 Special as well, so between that and the tournament, it's looking to be a pretty exciting weekend.

I would not be surprised to see Scurll take the BOSJ at this point. Strike while the iron is hot from his big moment in joining the Bullet Club. There's a couple guys that I still think will take it over him, but considering he wasn't really even on my radar to win it in the first place, he's definitely moving up for me.

IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental titles both confirmed to be being defended during the G1 Special as well, so between that and the tournament, it's looking to be a pretty exciting weekend.

I would not be surprised to see Scurll take the BOSJ at this point. Strike while the iron is hot from his big moment in joining the Bullet Club. There's a couple guys that I still think will take it over him, but considering he wasn't really even on my radar to win it in the first place, he's definitely moving up for me.
Yeah, Marty Scurll could really win the BOSJ. Considering that he lost his ROH TV Championship to a NJPW wrestler in Kushida, I could see NJPW returning the favor to ROH. And even have him win the title from Hiromo Takahashi since US G1 special is quite near now.

I don't think that Will Ospreay will win considering that he already did last year. Ricochet may but I'm not sure. Scurll looks like a favorite for me as of now.

Has anyone watched Hiromo Takahashi Vs. Ricochet for IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship? I don't know what event it took place but it was a very good match. Fast paced in between with proper amount of selling. Not even anywhere near a move fest. I would recommend this match to watch. Wasn't a classic but a good match nonetheless.

I'm glad to having watched it.

Something about that match at rthe time was off... It felt like they really didn't click. I was also super pissed because my stream cut out right before the finish. Perhaps that skews my view of the match.

Loved their BOSJ match the other day though! It was on a hardcam but still awesome stuff. This is the first BOSJ I'm watching properly so it's really been fun. I'm still a bit behind, been busy! But I have some solace so I'll be catching up on everything today. I'll give some more thoughts then!

Welp, so much for Scurll winning. A block is so completely up in the air right now, but I think the scariest thing is that Taichi has a legitimate shot of taking it. If Takahashi, Richochet and Lee all lose in the final day and Taichi wins, that will give him the block, and Taichi has the winless Liger as his final opponent.

Granted, I can't see them not giving Liger a single win in his final BOSJ, so the worry that Taichi will win is probably completely unfounded. Plus it would require Dragon Lee to lose to Michinoku. But crazier things have happened before.

I'll wait one more show before I hazard a prediction on Block B.

Looks like NJPW doesn't like my predictions. :disappointed:

About Block A, I think that Dragon Lee will go to the final now. Dragon, Hiromu, Will and Ricochet are all tied on 8 points. Hiromo defeats Will & Dragon defeats Michinoku. Ricochet is defeated by Marty Scurll. Liger defeats Taichi. So Hiromu and Dragon are tied on 10 points. And Dragon goes forward since he won against Hiromu.

About Block B, I think that Kushida defeats Taguchi. Other than that, I think that ACH or El Desperado goes to the final.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back