[Official] Ask a Question Thread-MMA Version

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Have an MMA question? Ask it here.

Please keep this thread for only closed questions, meaning a question that's not open for debate.

I was on wikipedia last night looking up some UFC stuff while watching it on spike tv (snooze) qwhen I came across something that caught my eye...are there really 2 UFC heavyweight champions? if so how can that be?

I was on wikipedia last night looking up some UFC stuff while watching it on spike tv (snooze) qwhen I came across something that caught my eye...are there really 2 UFC heavyweight champions? if so how can that be?

Randy Couture left UFC as heavyweight champion in 07
On February 2, 2008 Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira def. Tim Sylvia for interim title then Randy Couture came back last year & lost to Brock Lesnar for the UFC Heavyweight championship, a month later Frank Mir beat Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira for the interim title.
Frank Mir is going to fight Brock Lesnar on May 23 to declare a Heavyweight undisputed champion

oh ok I get it since he left as champion they had someone take his place then he came back and now all of a sudden we got two champs....sort of like the whole HBK Razor Ramon thing.....So when are they going to have Lesnar VS Mir

oh ok I get it since he left as champion they had someone take his place then he came back and now all of a sudden we got two champs....sort of like the whole HBK Razor Ramon thing.....So when are they going to have Lesnar VS Mir

Lesnar vs Mir will take place at UFC 98 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on May 23.

Could anyone PM me some websites (not forums necessarily, but definitely something with an FAQ page) where I could learn more about MMA (I know you have a thread on it in here, but EliteXC is now out of business and I know nothing about Strikeforce, which isn't listed)? If there are any books on it, I would also be appreciative if you could recommend me any. I'm fairly new to this...I know some MMA stars by name and face, but that's about it.

What exactly is that that Lesnar has tatooed on his chest? Is it meant to be a knife? If so, do they photoshop the point out of all his photos?

What exactly is that that Lesnar has tatooed on his chest? Is it meant to be a knife? If so, do they photoshop the point out of all his photos?

I've heard him answer this question a couple of times and he has said that at the time he got the tattoo, he felt like someone was shoving a knife in his heart or some shit like that, and he just went with his impulse on getting a huge sword on his chest. He regrets it now.

UFC fighters are banned from wearing Affliction gear to the ring (or to the octagon or whatever), correct?

Yes. Dana White's not a big fan of Affliction. But, if Affliction stops doing shows (which is very possible after the next one), don't be surprised to see the banned get lifted.

How does a fighter get a shot at the title of their respective division?

Do they have to win a certain amount of fights or is there a different way they get a title shot?

How does a fighter get a shot at the title of their respective division?

Do they have to win a certain amount of fights or is there a different way they get a title shot?

Well, there is no criteria a fighter needs to go through to earn a shot at a title. Just look at Brock Lesnar and Anderson Silva. Brock came in, lost, and then won... and then boom, title shot. Anderson Silva came into the company and after one fight, title shot. Where as someone like Thiago Alves was on a 5 fight win streak before getting his title shot tonight.

So, thinking about it... if you're fighting at the bottom of the card, the only way you can ever get a title shot is to win a bunch of fights in a row. 5 seems to be the right number for that. But if you have a huge name and come to the UFC, all you need to do is just have one or two impressive performances and you'll get a title shot before you know it.

Just also know... rankings and all that garbage has NOTHING to do with whether a fighter gets a title shot or not in the UFC.

Can anyone tell me the EXACT point system the UFC goes by? I know takedowns are worth a shit load, but what is it exactly? Is it the same point system in the WEC?

How come last night they were saying GSP and his opponent were actually heavier than their weight class (170?) - they said it for pretty much everyone. Surely they're not allwoed to be heavier than their class dictates?

How come last night they were saying GSP and his opponent were actually heavier than their weight class (170?) - they said it for pretty much everyone. Surely they're not allwoed to be heavier than their class dictates?

Fighters will diet and train down to a weight much lower than their walking around weight right before weigh in's and then cut the water weight(dehydration basically) on the last day night before weigh in's. They only have to weigh within their weight class limit at the weigh in's the day before the fight. After the weigh in's they rehydrate their body by drinking fluids and eating back up to the weight they trained and dieted to be.

So for example lets say Thiago Alves trains down to 195, he would cut his water weight the night before the weigh in's to the welterweight limit of 170. Then after the weigh in's he rehydrate's his body back to 195.

Fighters will diet and train down to a weight much lower than their walking around weight right before weigh in's and then cut the water weight(dehydration basically) on the last day right before weigh in's. They only have to weigh within their weight class limit at the weigh in's the day before the fight. After the weigh in's they rehydrate their body by drinking fluids and eating back up to the weight they trained and dieted to be.

So for example lets say Thiago Alves trains down to 195, he would cut his water weight the night before the weigh in's to the welterweight limit of 170. Then after the weigh in's he rehydrate's his body back to 195.

I wanna throw this out there too.

Its also very unhealthy and very hard on the body, I mean imagine losing 30lbs in a day, and then gaining it all back again. It's very taxing, its why GSP doesn't cut much weight and walks around at just around his weight class. They mentioned that as well last night.

Why does Forest Griffin have a big lump on his arm?

Before coming to the UFC, he was in a fight where someone broke his arm, but he continued fighting nonetheless (he still miraculously won, too). Because of this, his arm is the way it is. I'm sure surgery can fix it, but Forrest doesn't want to take any time off and has been that way since joining the UFC.

Can anyone tell me the EXACT point system the UFC goes by? I know takedowns are worth a shit load, but what is it exactly? Is it the same point system in the WEC?

Yes it is the same. It goes by the 10 point must system, and judges usually tend to judge the fight on who's the aggressor, who lands more shots and more takedowns, and who controls the fight on the ground. Also, if someone just holds someone up against the cage, or just lays on them for 5 minutes while doing absolutely nothing... the judges will always give a 10-9 score to the person in control/on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back