Official Legends Tournament Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
OK before I post the match ups I want to thank some people without whom I wouldn't be able to bring you this tournament. IC25 & Jake for giving me the chance to do this. Shadowmancer and Slyfox for doing the seeding for the 2 brackets. and everyone who gave me names that they would like to see in the tournament. There are 2 main things I want this to accomplish besides everyone having a good time with this.

1) By taking part in this tournament I hope that people will do research and gain a little it of respect for the people that paved the way for todays Wrestling Superstars.

2) I've been apart of WZ for a while and the Old School Section has gotten some traffic but not as much as it deserves IMO. I hope that this tournament will get people talking and maybe spawn some other threads started by other people.

Now on to the rules.

1) All WZ rules apply. They can be found here:http://forums.wrestlezone.com/announcement.php?f=94

2) If you're going to vote please leave a reason. It's not that hard to come up with 3-4 sentences especially if you do a little background research on these guys and it leaves room for discussion.

3) Have a good time and enjoy yourself.

now about the match ups. There are 64 Wrestlers set up into 2 brackets of 32 wrestlers making 16 matches on each Bracket. The Brackets are WWE (Everyone who made it big in the WWE) and NWA (everyone who made it big outside of the WWE. NWA, WCW, and Japan)

WWE Round 1 Match Ups said:
1) Bruno Sammartino Vs Rocky Johnson (winner: Bruno Sammartino)

2) Hulk Hogan Vs Tito Santana (winner: Hulk Hogan)

3) Stone Cold Steve Austin Vs Nikolai Volkoff (winner: Steve Austin)

4) Andre The Giant Vs I.R.S. (winner: Andre The Giant)

5) 'Superstar' Billy Graham Vs Razor Ramon (Winner: 'Superstar' Billy Graham)

6) The Rock Vs "Mr. Perfect' Curt Hennig (Winner: The Rock)

7) Bret Hart Vs Sgt Slaughter (Winner: Bret Hart)

8) Bob Backlund Vs Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat (Winner: Ricky Steamboat)

9) Rick Rude Vs Yokozuna (Winner: Rick Rude)

10) Killer Kowalski Vs 'High Chief' Peter Mavia (Winner: Killer Kowalski)

11) Jake 'The Snake' Roberts' Vs Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine (Winner: Jake Roberts)

12) 'Classy' Freddie Blassie Vs King Kong Bundy (Winner: Freddie Blassie)

13) 'The Milion Dollar Man' Ted Dibiase Vs Iron Sheik (Winner: Ted DiBiase)

14) 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper Vs 'Mr Wonderful' Paul Orndorff (Winner: Roddy Piper)

15) 'Macho Man' Randy Savage Vs Bam Bam Bigelow (Winner: Randy Savage)

16) Pat Paterson Vs Jimmy Snuka (Winner: Pat Patterson)
NWA Round 1 Match Ups said:
1) Antonio Inoki Vs Rikidōzan (winner: Antonio Inoki)

2) Nature Boy Ric Flair Vs Lex Luger (winner: Nature Boy Ric Flair)

3) Harley Race VS Kerry Von Erich (winner: Harley Race)

4) Lou Thesz Vs Michael P.S. Hayes (winner: Lou Thesz)

5) Verne Gagne Vs Tully Blanchard (Winner: Verne Gagne)

6) Gene Kiniski Vs Santo, el Enmascarado de Plata (Winner: El Santo)

7) Stan Hanson Vs The Original Sheik (Winner: Stan Hansen)

8) Pat O' Connor Vs Giant Baba (Winner Giant Baba)

9) Terry Funk Vs Jerry The King Lawler (Winner: Terry Funk)

10) Dory Funk Jr. Vs Dick The Bruiser (Winner: Dory Funk Jr)

11) The Original Nature Boy Buddy Rodgers Vs Bobo Brazil (Winner: Buddy Rogers)

12) Bruiser Brody Vs Nick Bockwinkel (Winner: Nick Bockwinkel)

13) The American Dream Dusty Rhodes Vs Jack Briscoe (Winner: Dusty Rhodes)

14) Big Van Vader Vs Fritz Von Erich (Winner: Vader)

15) Carlos Colon Vs Dynamite Kid (Winner: Dynamite Kid)

16) Barry Windham Vs Arn Anderson (Winner: Arn Anderson)
Now that all that stuff is out of the way I'm here to answer any and all questions anyone may have. If you only have a 1 sentence question feel free to PM it to me.

Well congratulations on getting your own sub-forum Ace. I, like a lot of people will be looking forward to this tournament, and cannot wait for it to begin. I look forward to backing Bret Hart all the way to the finals against Sting. There sure are a lot of diverse picks, and that is what will make it fun. Good luck on all this Ace.

Finally an opportunity to try and bring a little more Lou Thez love to Wrestlezone. I remember him not doing well in the "official tournament", so I guess it's time to make good and clense Wrestlezone of sin... or something.

Looking forward to when this thing kicks off.

Bret Hart will win this thing. He's recently being getting a lot more love on this forum, deservedly. Flair and Hogan, 2 other big names, get quite a bit of hate on the forum, Ric Flair especially, something which defintely isn't deserved.

This is going to be a really good tournament. However, I reallt disagree with Sting being there, when yoru criteria was wrestlers who are currently not active. Your reasoning for doing so is 'he's done enough in his career', but the same argument could be applied to someone such as Shawn or The Undertaker.

Good job Ace, you've put a lot of work into these threads and I can see from the match-ups that we're going to be in for some healthy debate.

Remember though that any posts are subject to the rules so no spam. I personally don't mind:
'Ric Flair beats Lex Luger because (insert reason here)'. Justify the post and we have no problems

No 'Rock beats Mr Perfect coz he's btr'. That's not a reason and shall be suitably infracted.

There... the definition of spam refreshed for this tournament so no-one can say they didn't know

Ace has put a lot into this tourney, so vote for who you want, but DO NOT BITCH ABOUT THE OUTCOMES!
Other than that, look at the guys in the ring, see matches by them and appreciate that life existed before the Attitude Era

Why I Love This Tournament

1. Yokozuna. The greatest heel in WWF history. I will absolutely be in his corner against a great many foes.

2. Big Van Vader. The greatest superheavyweight of all time. Prepare to drink some kool-aid.

3. Andre the Giant. The 2nd greatest superheavyweight of all time, and an absolute legend. I may get behind him to win this thing.

4. Bam Bam Bigelow. My 4-man SHW Survivor Series Team is now complete. Absolute classic.

Honorable Mention - Inoki vs Rikidozan is a sick 1st round match! Give some love to both of these legends!!!

This is going to be a really good tournament. However, I reallt disagree with Sting being there, when yoru criteria was wrestlers who are currently not active. Your reasoning for doing so is 'he's done enough in his career', but the same argument could be applied to someone such as Shawn or The Undertaker.
You have a point and when I thought about it I realized I don't have any Mexican wrestlers in there besides Tito Santana so I'm going to add a Legend in Mexican Wrestling and the man it is said did for Mexican wrestling what Hogan did for American Wrestling and Rikidōzan did for Japanese wrestling. That man is Santo, el Enmascarado de Plata (Saint, the Silver Masked Man). I'm just going to shorten it to Santo from now on.

Jugs, if you're going to swap someone out, can you swap in El Canek from Mexico? When Shocky's next wrestling tourney comes up, I'm jumping on El Canek's bandwagon early.

Jugs, if you're going to swap someone out, can you swap in El Canek from Mexico? When Shocky's next wrestling tourney comes up, I'm jumping on El Canek's bandwagon early.
The reason I picked Santo was because he is the father Of Mexican wrestling. He brought it to the forefront of Mexican Culture like Hogan did in America but after reading his wikipedia page i like this guy to. I'm going to do it because without your support I wouldn't be able to bring anyone this tournament.

So Santo has been changed to El Canek another Legendary Mexican Wrestler.

There will be no more switches the Brackets are now final.

Edit; On a side note i was wondering If a mod or Admin could sticky this so when I start adding the matches this stays at the top of the page.

Either way man, my "support" should have no bearing. If anything, I appreciate you for all of your hard work on another great WZ Forums Tournament. Looks like loads of fun!

I'm sorry but No

Brackets are finalized so there will be no more switch outs.

I do however encourage everyone to go to youtube do some research and pick someone to back for the entire thing. I will also provide sigs for whoever wants them to help advertise this tournament. PM me if you want one though as it's probably going to get you an infraction if you only ask for on here.

Great tournament idea. I'm glad you chose non active stars, because it gives others that may not be well known a shot. I'm backing the Hitman all the way, for this! He really was a great superstar(even though I like HBK more)Bret deserves recognition for being one of the greatest of all time. Other person pics include Yokuzuna(my fave super heavyweight of all time), and Sting(I'm trying not to count TNA, when comparing him). Can't wait!

Thank you so much for this. I grew up in the late 70's and eightes. When I hear wrestlers today showing respect for Flair, I think of how Flair showed respect to Harley, Dusty, Briscoes, Funks, Lou Thez and so on. I hope people really do research here. I hate it when people just vote on a name. I thank you for this touranement. I was going to mention in a thread how I would love to see a wrestlezone touranment like the rock touranment was done. Everyone from the 50's & 60's in a bracket, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's. Then put it down to a final four. This is a close to that as it'll get and I love this thread.

Well the 1st batch of voting is over and I want to thank everyone who has participated so far. We have 2 2nd round match ups set feel free to discuss them here. I'm going to wait to Post the next set of threads until both Tag and movie Tournaments are done. (I mean it this time :p) I'll set up a full 2nd round bracket when all the first round match ups are done, to see what we got so far check the first post I'll edit it as people win there matches.

Just so I can start preparation; is this working in a traditional bracket system, giving us Thesz V Race in the next round, or do the matches get re-drawn every round?

They stay the way they are so it's going to be Thesz Vs Race in round 2. We also have Hogan Vs Sammartino, Austin Vs Andre, and Inoki Vs Ric Flair. All 4 of these matches are goingto be awesome and i can't wait to start them.

What if a wrestler is in the WWE bracket. But wrestled in both WWE and NWA like Billy Graham for example. Do their accomplishments in both companies count or just their accomplishments in the bracket their in?

What if a wrestler is in the WWE bracket. But wrestled in both WWE and NWA like Billy Graham for example. Do their accomplishments in both companies count or just their accomplishments in the bracket their in?
Most of them wrestled in and out of the WWE. what I did was put them in the bracket where they weremost known and had most of their success. Take 2 of the biggest names in this thing as an example.

Ric Flair: Wreslted in the NWA, WCW and WWE. He had most of his success in the NWA which is why he's in the NWA Bracket even thoough a lot of the younger fans only know him from his time in the WWE.

Hulk Hogan. Wreslted for the AWA & WWE. Most of his success came in the WWE which is why he's in that Bracket. Most people don't realize that Hogan should have been AWA Champion twice but it was overturned and both of his reigns aren't counted by the AWA.

I'm looking forward for Andre Vs. Austin. Both accomplished great things, both have been called overated and the greatest, both have supporters but who is the bigger legend? I personally think both were icons of the respective era's so I'm having trouble choosing. I guess the Race/Thez also interest me since both have supporters and both were great and could wrestle really great.

1) No deceased wrestlers

Kerry Von Erich, Lous Thesz, Andre the Giant. That's 3 there in violation of this "No deceased" rule.

Just being pinickity, but this is a great tournament Juggalo. Lots of hard work and effort...good job!

I don't even remember why I put that I got rid of the rule A while ago. I had to chose which rule to get rid of. It was between that one and the one that stated no active wrestlers. With both of them in place there was no way I was going to get enough people. Because I didn't want people voting on name recognition I got rid of the 'No Dead guys rule, I am worried about The Rock, Steve Austin and MR. Perfect though. I can't wait for the Mr. Perfect Vs Rock first round match up though.

I don't even remember why I put that I got rid of the rule A while ago. I had to chose which rule to get rid of. It was between that one and the one that stated no active wrestlers. With both of them in place there was no way I was going to get enough people. Because I didn't want people voting on name recognition I got rid of the 'No Dead guys rule, I am worried about The Rock, Steve Austin and MR. Perfect though. I can't wait for the Mr. Perfect Vs Rock first round match up though.

Well, it is your tournament to make the rules for. If something doesn't work, fix it. If anything, this means you are doing your part effectively.

I'm liking the tournament so far, and I respect your decision to wait out the other tournaments as to not diminish anything. I'm really waiting on certain round 1 and round 2 matchups. I think that some could be down to the wire, and unfortunately the pairings could have some favorites out in the first round. However, this only makes for a good tournament.

Good luck with the rest of it.

Juggalo, when does round 2 start? It's been quite a few days? Or are you waiting for the tag tourney to end before continuing?

He did say it was on hiatus until after the tag and movie tourny's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back