One Of The Best Feuds in Wrestling Today: King vs Sabin

scottyshowman82

Getting Noticed By Management
Forgive me mods, I know there is the "Hail Sabin" thread and I know there's obviously the PPV thread in concerning their match with Suicide in Slammiversary but I wanted to specificially talk about how good Kenny King and Chris Sabin are pulling off their work on TNA TV. It's a feud I look forward to when I turn on Impact Wrestling and right now really is one of the best feuds in pro wrestling period.

Chris Sabin when he burst on the scene in TNA was just so full of excitement and electricity. He pretty much took over the that exciting babyface role that A.J. Styles left behind when he moved up to become the NWA Heavyweight Champion. I always thought Sabin had what it took to follow in Styles' footsteps and be the next exciting X Division style guy to hang with the heavyweights but somehow it never came to be. Sabin was awesome in the Motor City Machine Guns, if I wanted to show a new young tag team how a great tag team works I would show then Guns doing their craft. Their series against Beer Money was so good and it's shame it doesn't get more credit outside of TNA fans and perhaps PWI Magazine. Unfortunately though Sabin had the injury.

I remember Chris Sabin showing up on Impact with the crutch and sunglasses holding back the tears, thinking that he may not wrestle again. It really wasn't a show anymore, it was really a young guy that loved wrestling got injured pretty bad and was much pouring his heart out to the crowd. You couldn't help but feel for the guy. I've never seen a guy move quite like Sabin does in the ring and for him to come back two ACL tears is truly remarkable.

You can see in Sabin's promos these days, he's a man that's lived, he's a man that's when through hardships, almost been broken, but wasn't and rose up. There's this new cold intensity about him and you feel like hell or high water he's gonna get that belt and he's gonna be star.

And with the great story comes the great villian. I'm an ROH fan too and I did feel bad when Kenny King left that company to vacate the tag titles and left Rhett Titus to fend for himself. Opportunities don't come easy in pro wrestling and I hope King and Titus left of good terms. As far as Kenny King in TNA, I'm still a big fan. Kenny King gets it man. he knows fans love a great persona, he knows they want great ring action. King is the total package. He's confident, he's braggadocios and he doesn't care who you are. He didn't hold anything back on Rob Van Dam and in a lot of ways in that feud Kenny King out RVD'd RVD. And then Sabin returned and the self proclaimed "Pretty Boy Pit Bull" did show some respect to Sabin letting him hold his belt, but what gall the X Division champion had telling Sabin that even on two good legs he couldn't handle what Kenny King brings to the table.

When I think of Sabin and King I'm excited for their futures. I'm excited where this feud is going to go. I'm excited for the fact that they're both bigger than X Division. I'm excited where these two hungry talented guys go after the X Division and beyond. I think they both have world champion potential and much like guys in the WWE who shined as Intercontinental champion and went on to do awesome thing in wrestling I think two are definately on that path. And yet another reason if you call yourself wrestling fan and you're not watching TNA or this feud, you're missing out my friend. For my money, it's one the best feuds going today.

While I'm a Sabin fan, I can't say that this feud ranks anywhere near among the best in wrestling right now. I do give Sabin & King credit for doing as much as they've been able to with so little to work with, but I'm simply not seeing what the OP is seeing. I will say that this is the only aspect of the X Division that's an actual feud/program given that the X Division has been nothing else but a random collection of triple threat matches for months.

The fact that this really is the only feud that the X Division has seen in quite some time, rather than a random threeway dance, suggests a pretty predictable outcome with Sabin ultimately winning the X Division title. Despite some of the protests to the contrary, predictability isn't a dirty word. While the outcome of a match or feud or event can be detrimental, so can doing something unpredictable if it's being done just for the sake of it being surprising at the expense of good sense. Sabin winning the title from King, which I think is bound to happen, isn't good or bad at this point. Unless TNA alters the format of the X Division in a way that allows it to tell stories, generate feuds between X Division wrestlers and allows said wrestlers the opportunity to develop characters fans might be willing to invest their time with; Sabin will be nothing more than just someone carrying the belt for a while until the company decides to let someone else carrying. Then, if things persist, that wrestler will find himself in the same situation just like the one after him & so on & so forth.

It's a feud. That's certainly a fact. And it's had massive potential written all over it. But of course it has one huge fucking issue. It NEEDS to be a 3 Way. Sabin vs King would be a great way to once again bring light to the X Division like when Aries held the belt. But unless TNA decides to get rid of the idiotic 3 Way rules, this feud is going to be anchored with a third, limited performance and storylines.

Yeah, I can name a lot of feuds much better than this, even on the Slammiversary card the tag team match and the feud between James Storm and Bad Influence is more entertaining than this, as is Bully Ray and Sting for that matter. This is a nice feud and it features two guys with a ton of talent, more personality than meets the eyes but best feud in wrestling today? I'd say that's a toss up between Team Hell No and The Shield, TNA and Ace's and 8's, ROH and SCUM, Wolves and reDRagon, Sami Callihan and Adam Cole in PWG and a ton of stuff going on in CHIKARA, this doesn't even come into the top ten to be frank.

I'm also with KJ, while the three-way rules are interesting in the formation of the X-Division title matches when it comes to the matches themselves getting the crowd to care for all three participants or their parts in the match/feud is harder, and for example when it comes to this Suicide is nice and all but this revolves around Sabin and King. If either Sabin or King walk out X-Division champion people will be content or happy, if Suicide walks out X-Division champion I guarantee It'll be a disappointment. I see Sabin winning tonight anyway, getting his reward for paying his dues and coming back from a serious injury.

While I'm a Sabin fan, I can't say that this feud ranks anywhere near among the best in wrestling right now. I do give Sabin & King credit for doing as much as they've been able to with so little to work with, but I'm simply not seeing what the OP is seeing. I will say that this is the only aspect of the X Division that's an actual feud/program given that the X Division has been nothing else but a random collection of triple threat matches for months.

The fact that this really is the only feud that the X Division has seen in quite some time, rather than a random threeway dance, suggests a pretty predictable outcome with Sabin ultimately winning the X Division title. Despite some of the protests to the contrary, predictability isn't a dirty word. While the outcome of a match or feud or event can be detrimental, so can doing something unpredictable if it's being done just for the sake of it being surprising at the expense of good sense. Sabin winning the title from King, which I think is bound to happen, isn't good or bad at this point. Unless TNA alters the format of the X Division in a way that allows it to tell stories, generate feuds between X Division wrestlers and allows said wrestlers the opportunity to develop characters fans might be willing to invest their time with; Sabin will be nothing more than just someone carrying the belt for a while until the company decides to let someone else carrying. Then, if things persist, that wrestler will find himself in the same situation just like the one after him & so on & so forth.

The format is a funny thing. I think when it comes to X Division the company should keep it simple just do what they originally intended. They did put a weight limit a year or two ago and now they're hooked on this 3 way thing. Although TNA's best match to date was the Styles, Joe, Daniels Unbreakable clash that fued was great and elevated by the singles matches the 3 of them had around that amazing 3 way dance. TNA today should remember that. I do think they should just leave the match options open but if they're gonna do 3 ways, the 3rd man is always changing but the common denominators are King and Sabin as they should be.

I don't think if Sabin does win we will see Sabin simply as someone holding the belt until the next guy if I understood your point correctly. Even under the 3 way format, Sabin's going to be something special. You can see the way Dixie treats him, and the vignettes they're see value in him. This past week on Impact Sabin offered his services as a tag partner to James Storm before Storm picked Gunner. Storm mentioned that he wanted Sabin win the title and cash and then eventually cash in the chance to fight for the World Title. I always liked that idea they used at Destination X but it was news to me they were still using it since the pay per view had been scrapped for the the new PPV lineup. But yes, it appears they have major plans for him.

I like the feud because it's the likeable beat up guy coming back to live his dream, the classic Shawn Michaels coming back from the injury to make another run for the title. I like it because the champion Kenny King is a fresh face, that has the look, the talent, the promo skills make the product better.
In this day and age of internet and labtops and multitasking it's hard to keep someone's attention when watching any wrestling show. I watch a lot of wrestling each week, I'm definitely zoned in when these two are on TV.

I'm curious what feuds in pro wrestling today would you say are better than this one? I like Bully Ray and the Stinger but I find the X Division title more interesting. In WWE the top feuds are Cena and Ryback, the World Champ is out with an injury. The IC Championship is floating around in 3 way. Ring of honor has a Brother vs Brother scenario with the Briscos but ya Sabin and King are really making me enjoy their show. It's definitely one of the top feuds for me... even if there's a third guy floating around.

Team Hell No and The Shield, TNA and Ace's and 8's, ROH and SCUM, Wolves and reDRagon, Sami Callihan and Adam Cole in PWG and a ton of stuff going on in CHIKARA, this doesn't even come into the top ten to be frank.

Okay yes yes, we got some WWE in there, some TNA, some ROH, PWG I don't watch it but I'm aware it they do good work and Callihan is coming up and Chikara is an organization more fans should watch. Some people would automatically disregard ROH and anything under WWE & TNA. I wouldn't but some people would. A lot of people on this board spend their time trashing anything Aces and Eights, I don't but I lot do. And you did mention Bully Ray and Sting which I mentioned earlier, as well as the James Storm and Bad Influence. As much as I like those three guys their tag team scenario seems like a big mixed up cluster, though it is entertaining. So that leaves Team Hell No vs Shield which has been awesome, I still think that warrants King vs Sabin should be near the top. My main reason for making the thread is people often overlook TNA and when they do good stuff like this they should be recognized.

Well I may not feel as strongly as you do, but I do look forward to seeing what these two can do together and beyond. Good post though. You painted quite the picture.

On the subject of Rhett Titus, I hate to say it. but Kenny King didnt leave him hanging. Kenny King cut himself loose before he got dragged under by the dead weight.

Okay yes yes, we got some WWE in there, some TNA, some ROH, PWG I don't watch it but I'm aware it they do good work and Callihan is coming up and Chikara is an organization more fans should watch. Some people would automatically disregard ROH and anything under WWE & TNA. I wouldn't but some people would.

Ah, but then you should have worded the title better. I get what your saying though, but I personally try to keep in-tune with what's going on in more-or-less every promotion (minus a couple, CZW and JCW), right now in all of wrestling including Japan the best angle going on is definitely Prince Devitt/forming of the Bulletclub versus Tanahashi, but I was only taking North America promotions into the equation here.

On the subject of Rhett Titus, I hate to say it. but Kenny King didnt leave him hanging. Kenny King cut himself loose before he got dragged under by the dead weight.

Together they were fine, if not very good, as singles guys Rhett is the Marty Jannetty of the two. Although I do like that he finally cut his hair.

im not an avid tna watcher but have been watching like 1 or two shows a month and i have seen these two do a promo in the ring together. It was so terrible as neither of these two can talk. Its a shame since i was always a huge mcmg fan and i think if you stick sabin with a great mouth piece or have him not talk that much he could be bigger than aj styles.

Sorry to get of topic. From what ive seen its not been good. But thats just me.

Best feud? Granted both these guys are good in the ring, but due to the dumb triple threat X division stipulation how can any X division guy have a good feud? Every match will just be three random guys thrown together to have a match. Now that works once in a while (Styles, Daniels, Joe and Styles, Low Ki, Lynn) it won't work if it is all the time it just becomes a gimmick which it already has. TNAs X division had some of the greatest singles matches possible, but this dumb stipulation has ruined that! There are no X division feuds anymore- just three way cluster Fs.

They had a good match, but with the way the division is set up it is really hard to get an actual feud going. It is just a series of matches with no real story going on at all. Sabin had the built in comeback story, and that was about it. I would actually like to see what these two could do together with more time and a story, but it seems like we are just going to keep getting triple threat matches for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back