Original v. Cover: Black Betty

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
We all know the original, even if there's maybe 5 of us that know who sang it. Ram Jam, by the way. But, is the original better than the cover?

The Original:

[YOUTUBE]R044sleOW6I[/YOUTUBE]​

The Cover:

[YOUTUBE]iVmCepYDFTA[/YOUTUBE]​

I'm a huge fan of SOiL, but I have to say that it almost sounds like they were mocking the original. It's not a song to take seriously, and everyone laughs when it comes on, but the original is definitely a classic. I'll give it to the original based on pretty much everything, but I wouldn't turn off the cover either.

personally as far as covers go for this song I prefer Spiderbait's

Though even then I prefer Ram Jam's version. I can even remember the first time that I conciously heard the song and that was with an ad on TV for "wonderland", The original is just such a good song with the vocals and tone.

Another easy choice here, the original Black Betty is just a classic 70s anthem, the kind of song you'd strut down the street while listening to. The SOiL cover is decent enough, but the original is the clear choice here.

Yeah,, I am with Shadowmancer on this one.

I personally think that SOiL have tarnished this song. That was a horrible cover and it just not fitting for the song in any sort of way. I like the original and I think that Ram Jam have done a good job with it but I personally like Spiderbait's cover much better. It's just a fun little cover and has really achieved cult status over here in Scotland. Both the orignal and the Spiderbait cover were very good but I will have to go with Spiderbait's cover.

Think I'd have to go with Ram Jam's version as well. I like some Soil but this cover is pretty lame.

And for the record Ram Jam's is also really a cover even though it's the most famous version. It's a traditional song dating back to the 40's.

Well actually this should really be in the cover vs. cover section as Ram Jam didn't come up with this song themselves, though they probably came up with the music- which many would state was the most important aspect anyway. Apparently the song has been traced back to the 1880's in America and there are a number of versions recorded in prisons in the 1930's as well as one by blues legend Leadbelly.

Getting back to the question though, the Ram Jam version is the better than any of the other versions presented here. None of the others sound like anything more than a simple cover version- the bands don't seem to trying to take the song anywhere new, and they can't beat Ram Jam the old way.

The cover I think of most famously is the Spiderbait version. It was quite popular here, and I did not even know that it was recorded by Australians, I thought it had a touch of southern rock infused in it. It is a great cover to make it unique.

But overall, ram Jam did the best version, though as stated, and from what I once read a few years ago on our wikified friend, they just recreated the song.

Black Betty is a song that I always hated for some reason. Whenever it would come on radio the station would be immediately switched.

However when Spiderbait brought out their cover of the song I actually found myself not only listening to it, but also enjoying the song.

So to me the Spiderbait cover of Black Betty is better than the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back