Pacquiao vs. Mayweather Aftermath

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
So in case you've been living in a cave since Friday, you might have heard about what happened in Las Vegas Saturday night. Floyd Mayweather retained his Welterweight Title by unanimous decision over Manny Pacquiao. Now, after the fight, where do you think this is going?

Some topics you can but don't have to address:

1. Would you want to see a rematch?

2. Pacquiao fought with a torn rotator cuff. How do you think this affected the fight?

3. Where do both guys go from here?

4. What does the fight mean for boxing as a whole?

Not a boxing fan, and honestly, as hard as I tried, I couldn't watch the entire "dream" match either.

But, here goes:

1. Not really as I feel it would follow the same pattern. However, based on the money that was floating around and the circumstances at present, Floyd sitting on 49-0 means a rematch with the half-century on the line might make for some good money and interest again.

2. Again, that seems like fuel for a rematch more than anything, lMO.

3. Don't follow boxing, so beyond a possible rematch in about a year's time, can't really say. However, Floyd is claiming that September will be his final fight.

4. The match fell below expectations for the numerous casuals based on what I read on various sites. Actually, it only seemed like hardcore boxing fans 'liked' it, and hardcore Mayweather fans defended their guy's performance.
Honestly speaking, the 'story' of Mayweather's 'Streak' being broken sells once there is a guy his haters believe in comes into challenge, it has happened before, and in September and even beyond it can happen again.
Beyond that, I can't see how the match itself would have influenced people to watch more of the sport however.

Allegedly Mayweather wants an easy final match. At the same time, he allegedly wouldn't mind a rematch. Personally, he's full of it. He puts money over anything else. As far as I'm concerned, he should just retire and go away. He politics to anything and then just gives his usual underwhelming performances. Maybe we can see Pacquaio fight Canelo Alvarez or a rematch with Cotto. Looking forward to both their fights in the coming months.

1. Would you want to see a rematch?

No. Mayweather won the fight and did so fairly comfortably on the scorecards. Pacquiao was supposed to be the hero and knock Mayweather out but the guy couldn't connect with the power shots to anything other than Floyd's forearms. I think a rematch would have the same result.

2. Pacquiao fought with a torn rotator cuff. How do you think this affected the fight?

Don't think it changed the result. Mayweather wins the fight every single time. It's a nice excuse for the Pacquiao camp and the fans.

3. Where do both guys go from here?

Mayweather wins his final fight to go 49-0 and retire at the top of boxing. He's not losing because that undefeated record means so much to Mayweather and I can't see anybody having more focus going into a fight than he will have during his final boxing match ever. Pacquiao goes to the hospital and dreams of what could have been.

4. What does the fight mean for boxing as a whole?

Floyd is still the best boxer on the planet and he's better than Pacquiao. Boxing is going to be fine because people love it no matter how many times it disappoints them. Boxing is not dead, it's just not a big as it once was in the US. I don't think the fight helped gain new viewers long term for boxing as it was a rather boring fight if you are a casual viewer. Had Pacquiao knocked Mayweather out I think a rematch would have been one of the biggest fights of all time because people would have paid money once again to see Floyd be knocked out.

1. Yeah, I'll watch a rematch. Of course, it'll be out of morbid curiosity, but I'll watch, because I didn't have a big problem with the fight. Granted, I’m not a boxing expert or a boxing enthusiast, but for me, the fight wasn’t excruciatingly boring or a chore to sit through.

2. Not really, and it's been said, but you have to believe they're trying to plant "what if" seeds for a rematch with the torn rotator cuff.

3. I don't follow boxing, so I'm not sure about Pacquiao, but Mayweather will go for 49-0. At some point, I firmly believe the rematch (I’m not buying into all this talk about Floyd permanently closing the door) will happen, with Floyd aiming to retire at 50-0.

Over the years, Floyd Mayweather has built a profitable persona, as this flashy and egoistical villain, and he has a strong fan following. Mayweather's detractors genuinely despise him for a number of reasons, but his fights, his antics, and his announcements command attention either way you choose to look at it.

4. Well, this was supposed to be the fight that revitalized boxing, but that didn’t happen. Now, the majority believes they were swindled. They paid for an overpriced and overhyped fight, and the final product did not deliver.

The pre Mayweather VS Pacquiao buzz and excitement is dead. Ironically enough, Mayweather VS Pacquiao disappointed a lot of people, but you have to believe a rematch between the two is the only big time fight that’s capable of generating any sort of interest and publicity on a large scale in the future.

This sort of answers both questions 1 and 2. Pacquiao's torn rotator cuff had to have some sort of effect on him, the question is just how much of an effect. A torn rotator cuff is a common shoulder injury to anyone involved in athletics; they're often caused by repetitive motions like forceful pulling or overhead movements, they're especially common among powerlifters, and can sometimes be brought on by the simple "wear and tear" or suddenly due to a combo of wear & tear and sudden force that usually afflicts the tendons. There's a pretty broad degree of severity in terms of how large a tear can be and there's debate as to whether surgery or non-surgical management is the way to go; it's not uncommon for people to still not be able to regain full range of motion even after having surgery. While he wasn't at exactly 100%, the consensus was that it wasn't severe as the fight wasn't postponed, so it gives me the impression that the injury didn't have any significant weight in the outcome; the simple fact of the matter is that Mayweather decisively and dominantly outfought Pacquiao. I thought the fight was pretty damn dull, it certainly didn't seem like some sort of super fight in my eyes, because Pacquiao was just simply outclassed; I read that Pacquiao only landed somewhere an average of about 15% of the punches he threw over the course of the match. Like so many boxing "dream matches", there was a ton of hype and the fight didn't come remotely close to equaling said hype. I've no real interest to see a rematch, it took them 5 years of negotiations to finally get the first one and it most definitely wasn't worth the wait.

As to where they both go from here, I'd say both men are close to the end of their careers.

Pacquiao's 36 years old and that's pretty old for a boxer, or for anyone involved in contact sports when you get right down to it. He's gotta professional record of 57-6-2 and is among the biggest names in boxing. He's also won a total of 11 World Championships in 8 different weight divisions, the first and only boxer to be World Champion in that many different divisions. He's someone that's well respected and very well liked among boxers, boxing insiders and fans from all over the world; there's definitely nothing he has to prove.

Mayweather's 38 years old and, as I said, that's pretty old for someone that participates in contact sports. He has a perfect record of 47-0-0 and if he retired tomorrow, he'd be one of only 8 fighters in history to have never lost a bout or had a draw. He's also certainly no slouch in terms of championship accomplishments as he's a 16 time World Champion in 5 different weight classes. As a person, I'm not a fan of the guy as he's beyond arrogant, but that's incidental when you take into account the fact that he has a well documented history of homophobia and domestic abuse. Despite the fact that I think he's a lousy human being, he's a fantastic boxer and will quite probably go down as one of the greatest of all time.

Both these men have more money than any sane person would know what to do with, as Mayweather and Pacquiao have net worths estimated at roughly $400 and $200 million respectively, they've been dominant fighters with numerous accolades, recognition and championship wins. Neither guy has anything to prove to anyone.

As to what this fight means to boxing as a whole, probably not a whole helluva lot. There've been a lot of "dream matches" and "super fights" in boxing and while this one generated a ton of press and hype, it's hardly gonna be viewed as an all time great. Frankly, it wasn't that good or competitive of a fight anyhow, at least not in my opinion. Ultimately, what this fight was more than anything else was a marketing and money machine designed primarily to generate as much revenue as possible while sacrificing the heart of the sport. At one time, boxing as a whole was highly revered but it's been rocked by too many scandals over the years and too many vultures like Don King have helped eroded the prestige of the sport. What's happened to boxing is just about the worst thing that can happen to any sport: it's been turned into a business that's ultimately designed to milk as much money as possible. I don't mean to suggest that making money is a bad thing, but it's really the only thing in boxing and what's been sacrificed is sportsmanship, athletes who conduct themselves like gentlemen rather than guests on an episode of Jerry Springer and simplicity. Once upon a time, you fought whomever your top contender was if you were a champion; today, it's often become a series of political moves, negotiations, ducking, dodging, maneuvering and wrangling to set up a title match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back