Nike Drops Manny Pacquiao for remarks against homosexuals

Poop Master Flex

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Link to interview here:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/16/manny-pacquiao-gay-people-worse-than-animals

Currently Pacquiao isn't in a lot of peoples good graces for the remarks made in the video above. Nike has recently terminated their relationship with the boxing legend earlier today stating "We find Manny Pacquiao’s comments abhorrent,” and "Nike strongly opposes discrimination of any kind and has a long history of supporting and standing up for the rights of the LGBT community." Although I'm unaware of how much that deal was worth considering Pacquaio's standing in the boxing world I can't imagine this being a huge blow to his bank account (well not enough to put him in financial stress given how much he made in the Mayweather fight but still) but more than that it's a big blow to his image.

Considering Manny is a devout Christian I don't want to shit on the guy too much for this, he seems like an overall good guy and probably just takes his bible a little too seriously but in all honesty how stupid can you be making a remark like this? In this day and age he should of known this was going to happen and I'd be surprised if Nike is the only sponsorship he loses for saying something like this. Not only is it a very controversial remark but the second you start saying things like they are worse than animals you have to expect a major backlash as it comes off as incredibly ignorant and flat out stupid(You've never seen a male dog mount and fuck another male dog? Really?).

All in all I think Nike was right to drop Pacquiao, he's free to believe what he wants to believe and think what he wants to think but considering what was said they really had no choice to remove themselves from a situation that could ultimately be toxic to their brand.

Personally I don't agree with what Pacquiao said in any way, shape or form. I don't necessarily have any hate on the guy, I understand he's incredibly religious and when you follow the bible pretty much word for word you have to entertain the notion that something like this could happen. For myself it really comes down to the fact that Pacquiao made an incredibly dumb comment in a place where the whole world can see it and at the end of the day he should really be a lot smarter than that.

Anyways what do you all think? Do you agree/disagree with Manny's comments? Do you find his comments as head shaking as I do? Do you think Nike (and any future sponsorship's that drop him) was in the right? All responses welcome!

Anytime anyone questions homosexuality based on religious beliefs, it's going to cause controversy. All the political correctness in the world won't change that and there are people aren't just going to give up long held beliefs, beliefs that stretch back for thousands of years, just to be politically correct.

I'm a Christian, I'm far from a perfect Christian and, unlike some others who profess the same faith, I don't try to pretend as though I am a perfect Christian. I think Pacquiao let his mouth get away from him a bit and he should have chosen his words more carefully because there are ways to state some form of opposition to homosexuality without coming off like a bigot. As a Christian, I certainly don't understand all the various mysteries of life, some no doubt think I'm a fool for my beliefs and I can honestly say that it doesn't bother me as my faith doesn't depend upon the agreement or disagreement of other people. Some say that the Bible is essentially straight from God, some don't; I lean more towards the latter because I know how easily it is for human beings to corrupt things and substitute their own personal beliefs for the truth as a means of gaining power or influence. However, if it turns out that I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. The way I look at it is this: if it turns out that God is real, that we're all judged at our death and if God allows homosexuals into Heaven, I've got no problem with that whatsoever. If God does not, then I'm also fine with it because the option to resist the temptations of sexual relationships with those of the same sex has always been there; I'm not saying that it's a choice to be gay or not be gay, but, and this itself has nothing particular to do with religion, we do have a choice about how we behave and conduct ourselves. It might not be easy at times but, then again, that's just a fact of life in any situation at any given time.

I try my best not to judge others because I feel it isn't my place. I can't say that I always succeed because I'm as imperfect and flawed as anyone else. I bear no dislike towards homosexuals, Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Arabs, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Atheists or anyone else in between, nor do I believe they should be deprived of the same rights as the rest of us. It's a messy world, usually made so because of our own prejudices and ignorance, but when it's all said & done, I believe in letting people decide their own path and make their own choices in life rather than clubbing them about the head with mine.

As for Pacquiao's comments, I personally do find them offensive and decidedly non-Christian, but I'm all for his right to say them. Nike was perfectly justified in severing their deal with him, not wanting to be associated with Pacquiao and have him be a spokesman of the company, just as surely as Pacquiao was perfectly justified in saying what was on his mind. A lot of people will see this as Pacquiao being persecuted for speaking his mind because, unfortunately, they really don't understand the concept of free speech. You have the right to say and think whatever you want, so long as what you say doesn't encourage or specifically state that acts of violence or crime should be committed, but you also have to endure the potential, personal consequences of voicing your opinion. In Pacquiao's case, it cost him a huge deal with Nike.

Too bad. So sad.

Except it's not. Nike was right to drop him, because not only is what he said incredibly offensive (to their association with him, at the very least), but he doubled down on it.

You know what the funniest part about all of this is? Pacquiao referenced Leviticus 20:13 in that double-down effort. It reads "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Had Pacquiao ever actually read the Bible he so devoutly believes in, he'd also be aware of Leviticus 19:28 which reads: "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."

mannyPacquiao632014.jpg

Sweet ink, Manny.

I bet you eat pork, too, and wear two different kinds of cloth at the same time. I bet you've worked on the Sabbath too, and have eaten shellfish.

Let's treat you by the same letter of the law you want homosexuals treated with. I bet you're unaware the punishment for these transgressions. I'll give you a hint — it's the same as the one for homosexuality.

If you need me, I'll be sharpening the guillotine for you. Or gathering stones. Sinners choice.

Too bad. So sad.

Except it's not. Nike was right to drop him, because not only is what he said incredibly offensive (to their association with him, at the very least), but he doubled down on it.

You know what the funniest part about all of this is? Pacquiao referenced Leviticus 20:13 in that double-down effort. It reads "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Had Pacquiao ever actually read the Bible he so devoutly believes in, he'd also be aware of Leviticus 19:28 which reads: "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."

mannyPacquiao632014.jpg

Sweet ink, Manny.

I bet you eat pork, too, and wear two different kinds of cloth at the same time. I bet you've worked on the Sabbath too, and have eaten shellfish.

Let's treat you by the same letter of the law you want homosexuals treated with. I bet you're unaware the punishment for these transgressions. I'll give you a hint — it's the same as the one for homosexuality.

If you need me, I'll be sharpening the guillotine for you. Or gathering stones. Sinners choice.

And this is the crux of the issue surrounding radically (for lack of a better term) devout Christians with these viewpoints. It's completely fine for them to demonize an entire people because of a few lines in the Bible, but when it comes to other "taboos" such as the ones listed above, "now that's just ridiculous!" If you hate homosexuals because "the Bible tells you to" than wouldn't logic follow that you should also hate cheeseburgers because the Bible says it's wrong to eat anything that mixes meat and dairy? Does Pacquiao eat only Kosher meat? Because if not, he's not really being the devout Christian that the Bible commands him to be. How about breaking the Sabbath? Point is, when people say things like this, they're using their faith to justify blatant bigotry. That's all it is. Because if they truly believed that the Bible's word is law, they would follow it no matter how archaic the laws and regulations seem. The fact that most of these people pick and choose what parts of the Bible to "follow", just shows their hypocrisy.

Recently I had a female cousin come out to me which honestly, wasn't a shock. It was quite obvious, but I let her bring the subject up. Now of course, myself, my brother, father, and stepmom didn't have a problem with this at all, but that side of my family is very religious. She's gone on to tell me how her sister (my other cousin) constantly preaches to her how wrong homosexuality is and that she should get help. She's also told me the other siblings don't agree with it. She has yet to tell her parents, despite having a girlfriend, because she's afraid of what they will do.

I was quite shocked when I heard of her family's reaction to the news. Me and my cousins on that side have always gotten along really well, shit we were each others best friends for years, but I can't help to look at them a bit differently after hearing all of this. I never expected those people to shun their sister because of a biological difference. I was disappointed mostly because I had never thought they were "those" type of people.

Basically, I can actually respect somebody if they're true to their beliefs. For instance, I would have much more respect for somebody who followed the Bible word for word than somebody who picks and chooses what's right and what's wrong to suit their situation. It's difficult for me to brush something like this off as it's a huge change of perspective.

I'd have no respect at all for any Biblical literalist, but as I've said with ISIS and Islam, they would be (and are, in the case of ISIS) the truest to the doctrines. "Truer", in that sense, than their moderate counterparts.

I want moderate majorities in all major religions because it's the necessary first step toward global secular society (by making religion completely personal). But if we're having an discussion over who is more devout, the answer is the literalists.

Pacquiao is no literalist. He's an opportunist, as you noted. Biblically justified bigotry. He finds homosexuality gross and he's using a few excerpts to try and hide behind the skirt of "it's my beliefs". Well, fuck your beliefs.

Pacquiao has a right to voice his own opinion as we all do.
Although Pacquiao is stupid for the Animals thing.

In this PC gay agenda world we live in it's understandable that Nike dropped Pacquiao as they are a business and pretty much everyone who speaks out against gays these days get there fucking balls cut off.

I don't like how Christians are labeled as homo- phobes they have the right to there own opinion as the gays do, they get a lot of flack these days, I have respect for them to be able to live by there rules in this world of "Sin".

Being Gay is a taboo, it's completely garbage that they claim it's completely normal and force that propaganda on young children.

Obviously we humans aren't meant to fuck our same gender as we can't reproduce with our selves.

Yeah, that explains why homosexuality occurs in nature in more than 400 documented mammal species. Because it's taboo, and complete garbage. Makes sense.

giphy.gif

What's complete garbage is actually your pseudo-scientific, cherry-picking nonsense that you are passing off as fact.

No one is silencing his opinion. So you can walk that high horse back into the stable. Hopefully before your next post cries "persecution". He's an athlete paid to endorse a product, so he has a code of conduct to adhere to that he agreed to do when he signed his contract with Nike. He violated that code, and thus, lost his job. Pretty standard stuff.

mannyPacquiao632014.jpg

Sweet ink, Manny.

Another funny thing about the tattoo, he had it back in 2010 while he was refusing to take a drug test that would involve having to have his blood drawn. His explanation was that he just didn't like needles, and I think he tied religion into it as well suggesting that taking his blood would be like taking his essence or some bullshit.

He doesn't like needles and they offend his faith, but a tattoo is alright by him.

Pacquiao has a right to voice his own opinion as we all do.

Criticism of an opinion isn't an attempt to deny someone the right to state that opinion.

Although Pacquiao is stupid for the Animals thing.

Although? That's your opinion, and you have a right to voice that opinion as we all do.

In this PC gay agenda world we live in it's understandable that Nike dropped Pacquiao as they are a business and pretty much everyone who speaks out against gays these days get their fucking balls cut off.

Whoa! That got passive aggressive quick.

I'm sorry that the world is so "PC Gay" unto your perception of the world. Also; I (sort of) agree with you that idiotic witch hunts occur way too often these days due to the prevalence of careless emotions being spilled out over social media. I wouldn't equate what happened to Pacquiao as having had his balls cut off, but I'm pretty sure you meant to say that treatment of people who voice an opinion is typically barbaric, which I totally agree with.

I don't like how Christians are labeled as homo- phobes they have the right to there own opinion as the gays do, they get a lot of flack these days, I have respect for them to be able to live by there rules in this world of "Sin".

Labeling all Christians as "homophobes" is a gray area for me as well, the definition of a homophobe can be twisted to make a lot of gay people look like homophobes. If it's a rule of their faith that they don't acknowledge homosexuality as being a part of the path to salvation, then I wouldn't arbitrarily associate them with a guy like Pacquiao.

Opinions are fine and dandy with me, but some Christians (like Pacquiao) have used their religion as a crutch for their hateful opinions. I also respect anyone who stays true to a stringent faith, but pride in one's religion doesn't have to mean pity for anyone else who doesn't follow it. Also; I have some gay friends, and they're all Christian.

Being Gay is a taboo, it's completely garbage that they claim it's completely normal and force that propaganda on young children.

Now you're starting to wander out of the "just my opinion" zone and get preachy on us. Being gay is a taboo, unto you. Being gay isn't normal, unto you.

I won't list all the ideas that I think go way beyond homosexuality in terms of how they're forced onto young children through propaganda, because this post would cover ten pages if I did. Just understand that when we have enough children identify as something as simple as being gay while they only had the opposite influences unto that lifestyle in their lives, it becomes apparent that encouraging them to understand themselves as "normal" is the best way to nurture them.

Obviously we humans aren't meant to fuck our same gender as we can't reproduce with our selves.

Ah, now you're trying to be logical. I'm pretty sure that if people could impregnate members of the same gender, you'd still be queezy about the idea of same sex relationships. Don't go trying to convince us that your opinions are backed up by anything except your own personal whims, human beings were never meant to do that after all.

Obviously we humans aren't meant to cross oceans, develop synthetic resources and walk on the moon. To assume that we have as much awareness of the intentions of an omnipotent creator that we can determine what it has meant for us to do with ourselves is petty.

Are we really surprised that a guy who gets his head pounded for living will put his foot in his mouth from time to time? He should just have the common sense to know that voicing opinions on this matter is a no win situation and as someone in the public eye he should probably just shut the hell up about anything other than boxing.

His head getting pounded for a living has nothing to do with this. He said what he said because he believes it, not because he's suffering from concussions, or was subject to years of blows to the head. These are absurd claims that insinuate he didn't mean what he said, or that what he said means less than had he said and believed these things as someone who didn't.

Criticism of an opinion isn't an attempt to deny someone the right to state that opinion.

Although? That's your opinion, and you have a right to voice that opinion as we all do.

Whoa! That got passive aggressive quick.

I'm sorry that the world is so "PC Gay" unto your perception of the world. Also; I (sort of) agree with you that idiotic witch hunts occur way too often these days due to the prevalence of careless emotions being spilled out over social media. I wouldn't equate what happened to Pacquiao as having had his balls cut off, but I'm pretty sure you meant to say that treatment of people who voice an opinion is typically barbaric, which I totally agree with.

Labeling all Christians as "homophobes" is a gray area for me as well, the definition of a homophobe can be twisted to make a lot of gay people look like homophobes. If it's a rule of their faith that they don't acknowledge homosexuality as being a part of the path to salvation, then I wouldn't arbitrarily associate them with a guy like Pacquiao.

Opinions are fine and dandy with me, but some Christians (like Pacquiao) have used their religion as a crutch for their hateful opinions. I also respect anyone who stays true to a stringent faith, but pride in one's religion doesn't have to mean pity for anyone else who doesn't follow it. Also; I have some gay friends, and they're all Christian.

Now you're starting to wander out of the "just my opinion" zone and get preachy on us. Being gay is a taboo, unto you. Being gay isn't normal, unto you.

I won't list all the ideas that I think go way beyond homosexuality in terms of how they're forced onto young children through propaganda, because this post would cover ten pages if I did. Just understand that when we have enough children identify as something as simple as being gay while they only had the opposite influences unto that lifestyle in their lives, it becomes apparent that encouraging them to understand themselves as "normal" is the best way to nurture them.

Ah, now you're trying to be logical. I'm pretty sure that if people could impregnate members of the same gender, you'd still be queezy about the idea of same sex relationships. Don't go trying to convince us that your opinions are backed up by anything except your own personal whims, human beings were never meant to do that after all.

Obviously we humans aren't meant to cross oceans, develop synthetic resources and walk on the moon. To assume that we have as much awareness of the intentions of an omnipotent creator that we can determine what it has meant for us to do with ourselves is petty.

I can't remember what I was trying to say.
It was poorly worded, I may have gotten to hostile with it, I apologies.

His head getting pounded for a living has nothing to do with this. He said what he said because he believes it, not because he's suffering from concussions, or was subject to years of blows to the head. These are absurd claims that insinuate he didn't mean what he said, or that what he said means less than had he said and believed these things as someone who didn't.

Wow, you sure made a lot of incorrect assumptions based on a very vague post. Even if he does believe it (which I agree, he does), he should be smart enough to keep his bigoted opinion to himself, especially as a "role model". Hence my remark about someone who gets his head pounded in saying something STUPID when he should have been smart enough to not touch this topic with a 10 foot pole.
You are clearly very passionate about this subject and read a little too much into a little smartass quip about an athlete being an idiot (very common these days). In no way did I defend his actions, you made that insinuation yourself. Sorry if my comment made up think I was sticking up for him. I think what he said was detestable.

Yes, he should be smart of enough to know that speaking out against homosexuality in a pro-tolerance country, when he signed a contract that he undoubtedly agreed to not disparage any races, creeds, religions or sexual orientations under, is just not a good idea. But he wasn't. And he doubled down on it to boot. That's what's so extra special about this. It wasn't a one-off.

Many celebrities and spokespeople and paid endorsers have said stupid things once. That's forgivable. "It was a mistake. I'm sorry. It'll never happen again". Something to that theme is generally given in response and we all accept the apology and move on. In his case, he doubled down and posted an even more stupid justification for it (see my point about Leviticus above), which is why he doesn't deserve forgiveness. He deserves ridicule. He deserves to lose his job and to be verbally lashed with the full force of the intolerance of intolerance.

But again, I just don't see what his job has to do with it. What does the fact he gets punched in the face for a living have anything to do with what he said? The only reason something like that tends to get written is in defense of bad actions. I'm an NHL fan. I've seen it first-hand with guys claiming to be concussed on plays when they do something stupid. Google "Dennis Wideman, Don Henderson".

I'm passionate about fighting bigotry and intolerance, which is why I'm passionate about fighting religion because it's the most prevalent force in sowing the seeds of both in the modern world. Has been for two thousand years or so.

None of my backlash was directed at you. It was directed at the idea that he wasn't in control of what he said. I'd have bought that if he did it once. When he doubled down, he lost all benefit of doubt, however.

Oh, Manny, you moron.
Just another prime example of someone with a "holier than thou art" attitude. Maybe he doesn't have one; I haven't seen other instances of him coming off as a prejudiced fool anywhere. Either way, that's how he came off, and he could've said something much less offensive...
Or nothing at all. The same Bible he so devoutly reads also states "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." (Ephesians 4:29, KJV)
Being a ministerial student in college, I could preach a whole sermon on this, but ultimately it would lead to this: Christians should love everyone for who they are, as Christ does. To not do so is sin in its own right, so his remarks are hypocritical. I'm not here to say homosexuality is wrong, although I get what the Bible says... But guess what? That's Old Testament law. That's for Jews, not Christians. Christians have it in the Bible for nothing more than history, and those that follow the Levitical law to a T are misguided in their faith.
But enough of that. It all boils down to what Manny said was stupid, Nike was right in dropping him, go home Manny, you're drunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back