Personal ring announcers for every wrestler....

That N Word

Actively evolving
Now before anybody trips I don't mean everybody having literally personal ring announcers lol. I mean having certain announcers handle certain superstars.

Whenever Edge makes a return,WWE gives him Tony Chimel. For the reason being that he does it best when it comes to Edge. When you think of introductions for names such as Undertaker,John Cena,and Randy Orton. Nobody does it better than Justin Roberts. How about Triple H? Howard Finkel? maybe?

Question is would it be a good idea to have about 4 ring announcers or so (2 for each brand) and have them represent specific stars. Like divide up who get which announcer based off of who makes that star stand out more and feel "larger than life."

I do get money could be an issue in hindsight. But is WWE able to afford it? They been signing hell of talent including Bill Goldberg. So I wouldn't be surprised if they have the money to bring in a Justin Roberts or a Tony Chimel.
Good idea or Bad idea?

This would be a really unnecessary expense. Just because you can afford something does not mean you should pay for it. This is a really small part of the show and the focus should be on the wrestlers, not the announcers.

Chimel does it for Edge due to an inside joke (he cracks his voice on purpose).

Yeah, there's no real purpose in this. As has been pointed out, it ultimately amounts to just throwing away money for something that's not even remotely important. Ring announcers aren't exactly vital pieces of the product in the first place and while WWE can certainly afford to do this, there's no reason why they should since the money is better spent on something that actually matters.

Whilst I agree that some people sound better doing certain announcements, there is no way of matching that up thanks to the Brand Extension. I would argue that Justin Roberts was the best announcer in the WWE at one point, and he announced everyone's name brilliantly and with passion. But by splitting up the brands, your essentially halving the amount of people who were getting that same passion in their announcement. It's just not a good idea.

There should be a reason that someone has a personal ring announcer, like Alberto Del Rio with Ricardo Rodriguez, that made sense from a storyline aspect, and was the reason we got the one night return of the GREATEST ring announcer in WWE History, Howard Finkel.

But giving multiple superstars their own announcer kills the novelty of the idea.

What I would more like to see is WWE do something like WCW used to do, and bring in a special ring announcer for major main event matches. Again, this is a good way to use Howard Finkel.

OK, maybe I just want more of the Fink's amazing announcing voice on TV.

That's not a very good idea. It's too complicated and would be overdoing the ring announcing. The format of having a specific ring announcer for each brand, one for Raw, one for Smackdown, and one for NXT is completely fine. The only time there should be special ring announcers for specific wrestlers are if it pertains to somebody's gimmick like when Alberto Del Rio had Ricardo Rodriguez. Even if such gimmicks are going on there should not be more than one per brand. The vast majority should all have their brand's ring announcer. Doing it any other way just wouldn't make sense.

I don't agree I think if their good announcers they should be good at announcing everyones name not just certain names, Its all they do is announce the names to start sharing that duty out several times on one show seems incredibly pointless especially for live tours having the expense of having several compared to just one and think most fans probably wouldn't even notice or care anyway, In my opinion the most underrated ring announcer was Gary Michael Cappetta who seemed to have a distinctive voice which fitted perfectly in wrestling announcing and rarely hear his name mentioned nowadays.

Unnecessary costs a good announcer should be able to announce every wrester good.

Who ever they have doing the ring announcing now sucks.

Never been a fan of horse faced Lillian or Justin Roberts.

They need to bring back Tony Chimel.

Having different announcers on every show? That would be overkill, and stifle the development of the likes of Jojo (who I really like

However, I would love it if WWE used the Fink more often, maybe at the biggest matches on the biggest events. No one EVER announced a new champion better than the Fink.

"The winner of this match, and NEWWWWWW WWF Champion...."

Chills

The Chimel and Edge thing happened organically. Chimel just happened to be the ring announcer during Edge's later career and introduced him at various big moments including WrestleMania vs Undertaker if I remember correctly.

Chimel did the whole "Rated R SOO-Per-Star" where his voice oddly hit that high pitch on the "SOO." Chimel was likely brought back during Edge's post-retirement one-off appearances as per Edge's request.

It wouldn't be organic to bring anyone else back. Literally no one announced Edge the way Chimel did, it was unique as opposed to dramatic like Roberts' introductions of Cena or Undertaker. I liked Roberts but he announced others considerably weaker than Taker or Cena.

I think the OP is more nostalgic for those special introductions that those wrestlers received. Personal announcers won't draw a dime though they might enhance the mood for certain fans that have a nostalgic connection.

The Chimel and Edge thing happened organically. Chimel just happened to be the ring announcer during Edge's later career and introduced him at various big moments including WrestleMania vs Undertaker if I remember correctly.

Chimel did the whole "Rated R SOO-Per-Star" where his voice oddly hit that high pitch on the "SOO." Chimel was likely brought back during Edge's post-retirement one-off appearances as per Edge's request.

It wouldn't be organic to bring anyone else back. Literally no one announced Edge the way Chimel did, it was unique as opposed to dramatic like Roberts' introductions of Cena or Undertaker. I liked Roberts but he announced others considerably weaker than Taker or Cena.

I think the OP is more nostalgic for those special introductions that those wrestlers received. Personal announcers won't draw a dime though they might enhance the mood for certain fans that have a nostalgic connection.

Small note: The cracking of Chimel's voice was on purpose due to Edge joking about Chimel giving other guys special introductions but not him. Chimel thought it would be funny to do that.

Announcers are told to hype up some names more than others. Yoshi Tatsu was never going to get a big drawn out introduction.

Can we all start a Justin Roberts fan club and get him rehired? Anyway yeah this idea is nonsensical! The whole announcer idea gives the product a competition feel. Making it seem like an actual sport. One announcement that is extremely underrated is Roberts announcing The Miz. His voice made you know someone extremely cocky and annoying was here, we need more announcers with personality in their style. Jojo doesn't get me excited at all, nor does that new SD guy. I do like the new NXT guy though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back