QF(31)Majora's Mask -v- (7) Super Mario World

?

• Majora's Mask

• World

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
ZeldaMMbox.jpg

It's took out Bros and 64, how about World?!

Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png

While both are great games.. Fuck it. Super Mario World is my second favorite game ever. Thus, I voted for it on the basis that I should write a book on being bias and proud. But really, like I voted for 64, I do think Zelda is an acquired taste. You simply can't play it for a few minutes and make a thought out opinion. I think that is why some people don't like the Zelda games. These people are bigots btw. With Mario games, there is no bullshitting.. Just straight forward game play. Thus, more appeal.

So, yeah bias and appeal makes me vote for Super Mario World. :)

This was the toughest out of all four rounds for me to pick, as I absolutly loved both of these games. But ultimatly, it came down to the fact that I can't honestly say I think Majoras Mask could potantially be the greatest game ever. I can't really say that about any game in the top 8, but if I had to pick, it'd be for SMW.

Love both but had to go with Zelda cause theres more to it than Mario

Yeah Marios a pick up and play game anyone can get

But Zelda has this much bigger substance to it , its a long drawn out epic story game with the ability to roam around freely. Its definately a more well thought out and storied game

Forgive me Doc, for I am about to sin.

I...voted...for...SUPER MARIO WORLD! I know, I know it pains me too. I love Majora's Mask and have defended it in this tournament once or twice and I probably placed it higher than Super Mario World in my original list (don't feel like looking and can't remember) but I can't vote against Super Mario World. I loved every part of Majora's Mask, from the story to the uniqueness, the game play, I fucking love Majora's Mask. Just not as much as Super Mario World.

Super Mario World to me, is on it's own pedestal when it comes to gaming.I played this game with my brothers and sisters endlessly as a kid. It is such an essential part of my childhood and my sibling's childhood that voting against it would be like a middle finger to all those memories. Each level is awesome and unique to me and there are a bunch of different ways to beat the game, finding all the secrets was just as fun as playing the levels. This was also the first appearance of Yoshi, who I love and he added another way to play the game. I'm definitely voting wearing the reading glasses I wore as a child but I don't give a fuck, this game rules, I still play it at least once a year with my sisters (haven't played it in a while with my brothers).

I was shocked to see Majora's Mask beat out Super Mario 64 and I was even more shocked to see it beat Super Mario Bros. Two genre-defining, groundbreaking games. And now it's losing to Super Mario World.

I'm genuinely interested in why it is. The first Mario game I remember playing was Super Mario World probably close to 15 years ago, and I loved playing it. I still love playing it. But that's all it really has going for it; it's a fun game. Did it really add that much to the series? If the game was never made, I don't think much of anything in the Mario series would be any different.

Majora's Mask on the other hand deviated from the norm of past (and future) Zelda games and delivered an experience that no other game had done.

The last three rounds have all been against classic Mario titles, so there's not much new that I can say (here's my post vs. Super Mario 64 if you want to hear me burrow my nose deeply into Majora's ass). I will however reiterate that Majora's Mask is much more than a typical game. If you've played it a significant amount, you know the atmosphere. You know how unsettling it is. You notice how everything is just a little "off", down to the smallest details. You know the NPCs and how even the most inconsequential characters have their own stories. There are parts that make you feel actual emotions, not just "I have to jump over that line of paratroopas if I want star points!!" That's one of the main reasons why Majora's Mask is the superior game, among many others.

The gameplay is second to none. Everyone drools all over the gameplay of Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask has a fine-tuned version and much more. Not only does it have all the cool little items and simple control scheme, you get four transformation masks that nearly have enough uses to have a game for each. The gameplay's great, and the open, 3D world of Termina is far better than the 2D generic world that we've seen numerous times in Mario games. You're free to do whatever you want in Majora's Mask. You can go to a dungeon and fight a big ol' demon fish, or you can help a guy in a bathroom that needs toilet paper. Just roll around as a Goron for 3 days and watch as the world ends if you want. The time travel system allows you the freedom to do anything you want in the game. It's certainly a lot more than "run right and jump on shit!"

I could rant about how amazing the music is or how intricately woven the many, many stories of the game are, but I don't think I have to. There's not much to say about Super Mario World except that it's a fun little game. It's glaringly obvious that Majora's Mask is the better game. Can anyone explain why Super Mario World is better for any reason other than "I played it when I was little and I like jumping on things"? I really don't think I'm straw-manning it, it's just that Majora's Mask is superior in every way, except maybe the name on the box and the ~nostalgia~ value.

That's three Mario games in a row it's wiped out.

Majora's Mask advances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back