Really what is the point of the Anderson/Angle Ladder Match?

Window Licker 101

Too interesting
Tonight it is Kurt Angle vs Mr Anderson in a ladder match for...*wait for it* the key to the cage in their Lockdown match. What is the point in that!? Other than ratings obviously but a ladder match for a freaking key! Guaranteed it plays a signifigant role in their match or something but it just seems like TNA is pulling out all the stops in their attempt to grab viewers attention. Anyone else wondering about this one...?

It's smacking a little of desperation but it ultimately builds the build and will give us a different match to what we have seen already and what will be shown at Lockdown. And it is that which I am happy with because I am enjoying the feud.

They did it with Angle vs AJ recently by booking different styles of matches (not necesssarily different gimmicks like they are doing here.)

At least it is not keys on a pole match.

Ladder matches were held in the early 90's of the WWE countless times for cage matches where the winner won the key, which mean they were allowed to use the cage door in the match, whereas the opponent had to climb over the top, so no, I'm not worried about this, and no, I don't think it's just a ploy to grab viewers' attention.

Were this a keys on a pole match, I might be inclined to agree, but booking this as a precursor to a cage match is not a bad job at all IMO. If anything, it's a relatively classic approach – something TNA has been accused of not doing enough of on numerous occasions.

yes, i've been confused about it since they announced that match.. i mean, does it really matter who gets the key? why are they fighting each other over who grabs the key first? I don't know, maybe it'll make sense during or after their match, maybe they'll explain it a little more..

*edit* after reading It's Damn Real's post.. now it makes more sense to me :)

Ladder matches were held in the early 90's of the WWE countless times for cage matches where the winner won the key, which mean they were allowed to use the cage door in the match, whereas the opponent had to climb over the top
Looks like you do learn something every day I didn't know this part.

It's smacking a little of desperation but it ultimately builds the build and will give us a different match to what we have seen already and what will be shown at Lockdown. And it is that which I am happy with because I am enjoying the feud.

I'm enjoying this feud but I believe it could be booked so much better. For one why are they having Ken Anderson, a former US Army soldier, act almost like a terrorist towards the US. Its foolish. I know they are trying to get over Ken as a punk who cares about nothing but himself but they could have done this much better IMO!

Personally I think it's a stupid idea. First off, why would I pay money to watch these guys in a cage when I just watched them in a ladder match (considering ladder matches are usually much better than cage matches) and its for A KEY TO THE CAGE DOOR, SERIOUSLY, WHENS THE LAST TIME SOMEONE WON A CAGE MATCH BY WALKING THROUGH THE DOOR, NOT ONLY THAT, WHATS STOPPING LETS SAY ANGLE FROM STEALING THE KEY FROM ANDERSON IN THEIR LOCKDOWN MATCH (Assuming Anderson wins tonight) AND USING THE KEY HIMSELF?

So lets see, they're giving people a PPV caliber match on Free TV (which helps with ratings but not with buyrates which is where the money is made), they are showing the SAME FUCKING MATCH ON PPV 2 WEEKS DOWN THE ROAD WHICH GIVES YOU NO REAL DESIRE TO WATCH THE PPV MATCH (you know the match that could actually make the company some money) AND THE STIPULATION TO THE MATCH IS STUPID BECAUSE ONCE YOUR IN THE CAGE THE KEY'S REALLY UP FOR GRABS, THERE'S NOTHING STOPPING ANGLE FROM TAKING THE KEY ANDERSON WON (once again assuming that Anderson win's tonight).

Once again this shows how similar TNA and WCW are, this is them trying to gain TV ratings instead of holding out for 2 weeks where you could actually make some money off the match (your average fan ain't gonna pay to watch Lockdown to see Angle vs. Anderson when they just saw the match). This is a desperate attempt to get ratings (considering they got a .6 last week) and trying to compete with WWE.

I'm enjoying this feud but I believe it could be booked so much better. For one why are they having Ken Anderson, a former US Army soldier, act almost like a terrorist towards the US. Its foolish. I know they are trying to get over Ken as a punk who cares about nothing but himself but they could have done this much better IMO!

Because most people don't know that about him, including me. I had no idea he was a soldier, and certainly didn't care to look it up on the internet just to justify the validity of the kayfabe.

The feud was designed to make Angle an extremely relevant ultra baby-face, something he was struggling with in the weeks following the dismantling of the MEM, and there was no one better on the TNA roster than Anderson to accomplish that because of how powerful he is as a character, especially on the mic, and especially as a cocky heel. It has nothing to do with "making him look like a terrorist". If they wanted to do that, they could have had him run the anti-American route like Eric Young did a few months back. They simply ran him as an Austin-type anti-hero – the kind of character who doesn't care that Kurt is an American hero. Nothing more.

I think they did a phenomenal job with this feud.

The only thing i could thing of is the key can be used to escape through the cage door instead of climbing all the way over the top of the cage, and maybe the one who doesn't have the key can't take it either? I'm not sure, just a thought.

The only thing i could thing of is the key can be used to escape through the cage door instead of climbing all the way over the top of the cage, and maybe the one who doesn't have the key can't take it either? I'm not sure, just a thought.

I understand what your saying but like one of the previous posters said they are throwing away a PPV quality match on Free Tv straight before Lockdown. I personally prefer Ladder matches to cage Matches. I feel they are more entertaining all round so this logically is kinda foolish I feel. I respect other posters opinions

WHATS STOPPING LETS SAY ANGLE FROM STEALING THE KEY FROM ANDERSON IN THEIR LOCKDOWN MATCH (Assuming Anderson wins tonight) AND USING THE KEY HIMSELF?

You know, I didn't even think of that. They may even have Angle win the key and then Anderson steals it during the cage match to win in a heel way or something. Now that you brought that up it does sound pretty stupid...

I don't agree though that I wouldn't want to see the match again. I am a huge fan of long feuds, as long as the feud is good (which I think this one is), so it doesn't bother me that their going to have another match so soon. I'm not so sure on the key thing anymore but I guess they needed something to reach for at the top of the ladder.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this match. You mentioned that TNA may just be trying to grab the viewer's attention with the ladder match but I don't really see how that is a bad thing, I mean it still makes sense since they are feuding so how is it a bad thing to try to get the viewers interested with a ladder match?

TNA has developed a bit of an unfortunate history with Impact ladder matches. I don't remember them having a bad one on PPV, with Kaz vs Christian being a particular stand-out, and of course the wonderful King of the Mountain match.

But for a couple of years now they've been putting on these pointless ladder matches on Impact, normally with no explanation whatsoever as to why they're putting it on. A ladder match should be a hyped thing, because it should involve a number of high spots and last over 10 minutes. They did this with AJ vs Kurt when they were feuding over the Gold Medal. Sure, it's a logical match to have, but not on Impact after they'd faced off about 5 times in the last month. Save it for a blow-off match on PPV or promote it weeks in advance.

Why they choose to do these matches on free TV and often with little to no fanfare I'm not quite sure, the only logical idea is to try and drum up interest by saying "look, we have ladder matches on TV, not just PPV, check us out." Problem there is that Raw has played host to several ladder matches over the years, and many have been on PPV standard.

I don't agree though that I wouldn't want to see the match again. I am a huge fan of long feuds, as long as the feud is good (which I think this one is), so it doesn't bother me that their going to have another match so soon. I'm not so sure on the key thing anymore but I guess they needed something to reach for at the top of the ladder.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this match. You mentioned that TNA may just be trying to grab the viewer's attention with the ladder match but I don't really see how that is a bad thing, I mean it still makes sense since they are feuding so how is it a bad thing to try to get the viewers interested with a ladder match?

I didn't say I don't want to see it I just said that logically isn't it a bit silly? I am a fan of both men and tonight they will deliver but it just makes the match at Lockdown lose some of its shine if they have a big stipulated match before one of the companies big pay-per-views.

You know, I didn't even think of that. They may even have Angle win the key and then Anderson steals it during the cage match to win in a heel way or something. Now that you brought that up it does sound pretty stupid...

I understand what your saying, my big thing I guess is with Anderson's wrestling abilities. Even as good as Angle is I see these guys being able to do 2 maybe 3 good matches before people get sick of watching them wrestle each other (Anderson's a talent sure, but he's quite a bore in the ring). I agree this feud has been good, but I also think it can go longer than their Cage match at Lockdown, I just feel when Lockdown comes to a conclusion the feud will end when it has legs to go maybe another 2-3 months if booked correctly. By showing the ladder match tonight, you take away 1 match (maybe 2 considering how the average fan works) that people would have paid to see.

Yes, Ken Anderson, the PERSON is a former US Army soldier. Ken Anderson, the TNA CHARACTER is a bad guy on a fictitious wrestling show. Much like Mark Calloway, the PERSON is alive and The Undertaker, THE CHARACTER is dead. C'mon, the point of professional wrestling is to suspend belief, sit back and enjoy the product. You're getting two of the best in ring story tellers that TNA has in a ladder match.

Which brings me to the original topic. It is not a ridiculous concept to have a key to the cage match. The idea is that the winner can escape the cage through the door instead of having to climb over the top, a major advantage in a cage match.

I do agree that it is a ridiculous concept to have the the main selling point of a PPV in a couple of weeks on free TV tonight, but it's not that much of a surprise now, is it?

I didn't say I don't want to see it I just said that logically isn't it a bit silly? I am a fan of both men and tonight they will deliver but it just makes the match at Lockdown lose some of its shine if they have a big stipulated match before one of the companies big pay-per-views.

I think TNA may be willing to sacrifice the match losing some anticipation for the pay-per-view in exchange for anticipation for the impact match. Maybe they are hoping to get some more interest in tonight's impact so the rating goes up since I'm sure they can't be happy with the recent low ratings. I just don't think a gimmick match beforehand will do that much harm for anticipation of the PPV match, while it would get more interest in the Impact episode.

EDIT: Sorry, totally skipped over your response deanerandterry

I understand what your saying, my big thing I guess is with Anderson's wrestling abilities. Even as good as Angle is I see these guys being able to do 2 maybe 3 good matches before people get sick of watching them wrestle each other (Anderson's a talent sure, but he's quite a bore in the ring). I agree this feud has been good, but I also think it can go longer than their Cage match at Lockdown, I just feel when Lockdown comes to a conclusion the feud will end when it has legs to go maybe another 2-3 months if booked correctly. By showing the ladder match tonight, you take away 1 match (maybe 2 considering how the average fan works) that people would have paid to see.

I disagree about Anderson's in-ring abilities but I am a self-admitted mark for him so I'm very biased with that opinion. I do see what you mean, however, about how people would have paid to see the match, but I also think it is a good decision to once in a while put PPV worthy matches on a normal Impact so viewers look forward to the weekly show more (as opposed to having a feeling that "big" matches will only happen on PPV)

Ladder matches were held in the early 90's of the WWE countless times for cage matches where the winner won the key, which mean they were allowed to use the cage door in the match, whereas the opponent had to climb over the top, so no, I'm not worried about this, and no, I don't think it's just a ploy to grab viewers' attention.

I have been watching WWE since 1986 and I don't recall this at all. I'm not saying you're wrong, but please give me some examples of this.

As far as Angle vs. Anderson it doesn't sound like too bad of an idea. If tonight's winner will actually have an advantage going into the ppv I guess it's ok. I don't really care for it, but it's not too bad. I don't really watch TNA anyway. I just want those WWE examples.

i don'T really see the point of doing this because if i remember correctly they did the same thing a couple of years ago with Christian and i think it was rhino and Rhino won the advantage for there cage match yet, when the cage match happened Christian was able to use the key anyway and he actually won the match, so having this ladder match doesn'T mean that much and show how desperate TNA is getting when they throw a gimmick match on free t.v.

So just so I can get this straight, now we are complaining about the validity of having good matches on free tv and equating it being desperate as opposed to improving the product? The very same product that is "declining in quality" is having a quality (expected) match and people continue to moan.

If I got this right, your only complaint is the fact that having this match is "silly" because it's right before a cage match correct?

I disagree, this just seems to make the Lockdown match more important and adds to the build. It could very well be the blow-off match for the feud since it is the PPV rubber match. Maybe TNA doesn't want to carry over a feud for more then two months. Why would they drag out what has been a top notch feud longer then they should, when continuing it will only make people complain about it's length (which some already do)?

IMO this doesn't sound like a Main-Event stipulation. It's one thing to hang up the big red X or try to get the belt/briefcase from atop a ladder, but...a key? Wow way to think outside of the box there for a pay-per-view Main Event Match TNA.

I am sure it will be interesting, and it's not like we see this sort of match on the regular, but still the key to a Cage is barely what I would think of as "note worthy". I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy the feud between Kurt Angle and Ken Anderson- in fact I think this is the best rivalry I have seen lately. But it just sounds too old school for a new age of wrestling. Like what has already been mentioned here about "on a pole" matches, I just don't think it could hold many fan's attention.

Now Ladder matches, in my opinion, have always been the best stipulations in wrestling. They bring in the excitement of (usually) 2 guys climbing up a very high piece of hardware and weaponry to get something. Who really doesn't enjoy the risks and bumps of this type of match?

But a key...I don't know it just sounds like it shouldn't be a Main Event thing. But it will sell tickets so many would disagree with me.

(As I'm watching this Taz just mentioned pole matches in WCW)
Apparently it's key night with a Knockout Lockbox match. Honestly I haven't watched any of their matches cause I don't buy TNA ppv. I do feel that seeing these guys going at it as much as they do could bring down the feud because Anderson really doesn't have the ring skills to back up his great mic skills and I could see how watching them wrestle 1 on 1 as much as they have could get old because I don't feel Anderson has the ring skills to back up his mic skills. It does seem a little gimmicky but coming from TNA I'm just glad they actually have to grab something other than hang something in a ladder match.

Currentyl watching Raw and DVRing TNA...but I am gonna throw this out there. MIiiiiiiiSTER ANDERSON (cough Kennedy) and Kurt have been sawing eachother up at every step of the the way. The key will be used for just that reason, regardless of who wins. There will be tons of blood in the cage, caused by the key. Mark my words. Also, yes a paltry attempt to draw ratings after a .6. And tehre you have it.

Tonight it is Kurt Angle vs Mr Anderson in a ladder match for...*wait for it* the key to the cage in their Lockdown match. What is the point in that!? Other than ratings obviously but a ladder match for a freaking key! Guaranteed it plays a signifigant role in their match or something but it just seems like TNA is pulling out all the stops in their attempt to grab viewers attention. Anyone else wondering about this one...?

You said it. Ratings. Big spot matches like ladder matches, cage matches, they equal to ratings and buys. If these guys had a normal match it would be another Cena vs Orton etc in WWE. To increase ratings it seems like they have to increase damage otherwise people get bored.

They were trying to draw fans away from WWE. Match was going on during opening segment of RAW. Simple as that.

Maybe to entertain you? Why can't we just enjoy what turned out to be a very good match without complaining about why they did it? Is the key thing a little silly? Sure. But are you going to tell me you didn't like seeing a ladder match between two of the top wrestlers in the company for free? Why is there a need to complain about that?

Also, why is TNA getting bashed for attempting to get ratings? Isn't that the point? They are putting something entertaining on the screen in hopes that the fans will watch it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Mr Anderson Vs Kurt Angle is one of the only things I am tuning into TNA TV for at the moment.

I guess this smells a little of desperation but its a nice way to attract viewers. I was intrigued when I heard that the match had signed, I thought it was a good idea, but for a KEY, that let me down a little.

Their feud is excellent at the moment and I hope it goes from strength to strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back