Remembering "Macho Man" Randy Savage

TheHitMark-SirJoseOle

A Fan Of Wrestling Not Backstage BS
As a long time fan of old school wrestling, I still hate having to accept the reality that Randy Savage is no longer with us. While he was reclusive in the final years of his life. It appeared that things were starting to change the year he passed away. His confirmation via a pretaped announcement at the San Diego Comic Con regarding his participation in Mattel's WWE toyline was a positive sign of things in regard to a WWE reconciliation as well as his involvement in being available in games like WWE All Stars.

Regardless of what the truth is regarding his fallout with Vince, and why he isn't in the hall of fame, I'll leave that solely to speculation. I instead opt to pass along this fine article written by Keith Elliot Greenberg a staple of the WWF Magazine as many fans of my generation will remember. There is some stuff we've already heard but it's always great to read something about Macho Man. May the legacy of the "Madness" continue to madden all of us fans!! In the meantime let's chime in our thoughts and share our memories of one of wrestling's greatest.

Bleacher Report - The Final Days Of Randy "Macho Man" Savage - Click Here To Read

Randy "Macho Man" Savage was my hero/idol when I grew up. When I found out that Macho died, it took a huge impact on me. Every time I watch wrestling, I think to myself, this is what wrestling should be, his cool promo's/interviews, his awesome matches, his colorful attires, and his "OHHHHH YESSSSSS". Today, I will think of the good. I will watch when he battle Steamboat in front of 93,000, when he won the belt from DiBiase and Flair, his classic interviews with Mean Gene, listen when sang "Be A Man, Hogan!"

R.I.P Macho Man

Simple...when you think of professional wrestling....you think of "Macho Man" Randy Savage. Legend. Larger than Life persona. One of a kind. There will never another Randy Poffo. His style, his persona were so ahead of his time he revolutionized professional wrestling in the 1980's.

His outlandish over the top persona was matched by his skills in the ring. I love the stories of Savage literally going over EVERY detail in every match. His matches told a story. A lost art.

And you can't think of Savage without thinking of the lovely Elizabeth R.I.P the first lady of the WWF.

R.I.P Randy Savage for touching an entire generation.

As a long time fan of old school wrestling, I still hate having to accept the reality that Randy Savage is no longer with us. While he was reclusive in the final years of his life. It appeared that things were starting to change the year he passed away. His confirmation via a pretaped announcement at the San Diego Comic Con regarding his participation in Mattel's WWE toyline was a positive sign of things in regard to a WWE reconciliation as well as his involvement in being available in games like WWE All Stars.

Regardless of what the truth is regarding his fallout with Vince, and why he isn't in the hall of fame, I'll leave that solely to speculation. I instead opt to pass along this fine article written by Keith Elliot Greenberg a staple of the WWF Magazine as many fans of my generation will remember. There is some stuff we've already heard but it's always great to read something about Macho Man. May the legacy of the "Madness" continue to madden all of us fans!! In the meantime let's chime in our thoughts and share our memories of one of wrestling's greatest.

Bleacher Report - The Final Days Of Randy "Macho Man" Savage - Click Here To Read

That article was a great read. Thank you.

I missed the Macho Man growing up but caught upto his work in later years. And in fact saw Savage vs Flair on Vintage Collection today. Macho Man always impressed me with how fast he could go. He just wouldn't yield and keeps up the pace of the match astoundingly.

For me, Macho Man was a great wrestler. He had a good build, had a unique look (that Billy Graham peacocking), had the gift of the gab and in the ring, goodness me, could that man move.

Did the sweetest Elbow Drop this side of Shawn. Amazing athlete, too emotional I guess, but a smashing performer.

The thing I remember most about Savage were his promos. He brought the same intensity to his promos that he brought to the ring. It was truly a seamless character portrayal. It was the little nuances in his mannerisms, the way he'd move his hands, the cadence in his speech...there's a reason that he was one of the most distinctive voices in wrestling ever.

The things I remember and love about macho man are his feuds with steamboat hogan and warrior. I also remember his amazing promo skills. Finally one day im hoping to remember his hof ceremony if he ever gets inducted. He's one of the best ever and is in my top 5 best wrestlers ever.

I encourage EVERYONE to read that article. Great insight into the enigma that was Randy Savage Poffo!! I think why so many rumors and mysteries exist about Savage (reason for leaving the WWE, his relationship his Hogan, his self imposed exile or "blackballing" from the WWE) exists because he was so private in his personal life. This article gives great inisght into the thoughts and reason why things were what they were.

I encourage EVERYONE to read that article. Great insight into the enigma that was Randy Savage Poffo!! I think why so many rumors and mysteries exist about Savage (reason for leaving the WWE, his relationship his Hogan, his self imposed exile or "blackballing" from the WWE) exists because he was so private in his personal life. This article gives great inisght into the thoughts and reason why things were what they were.

Yes, this is a must read! I found out some stuff about Randy Savage that I didn't know before. This is great for any Randy Savage fan.

I remember some of Randy Savage epic matches he had with his brother lanny poffo in ICW..
also one that no one could ever forget Randy Savage Vs Ricky Steamboat @ WM3

That article is defiantly a must read! Thanks for sharing it. I was lucky enough to have seen the Poffo's wrestle for their dads promotion. It wasn't surprising to see them go as far as they did in the WWE because of the intensity they had back in the day wrestling for Angelo. That article clears up a lot about why Randy exiled himself from the WWE.
I certainly support the whole Poffo family going in the WWE HOF over just Randy after reading that article.

I remember the very first live wrestling show I ever attended. It was 1990 and the main event was "Rowdy" Roddy Piper subbing for an "Injured" Dusty Rhodes against one "Macho King" Randy Savage. It was hard to pick who to cheer for so I just cheered for both guys. Macho was one of my heroes. I truly miss him.

What a great article that was. Thanks for the read. I am a fan that started in the early 80's and while Hogan was my favorite Macho Man was a very close number 2 for me. As a kid his intensity almost scared me, but was so much fun to watch in the ring. I really hope he gets his due in the HOF one of these days, hopefully sooner rather than later. RIP Randy Savage. You are someone that I will always remember.

I grew up with Randy Savage, so my view of him will always be that of a pure fan, the kid who knew wrestling wasn't completely on the up and didn't care at all.

For me Randy Savage was always the guy who took the Wrestling Classic from Dynamite Kid, who along with Davey Boy, had a HUGE hand in making me a fan. Then Savage stole the IC title from Tito Santana, a favorite, with the help of brass knucks and the incompetent (and later evil) referee Danny Davis and the guy who tried to kill Ricky Steamboat, another favorite, with the ring bell.

From then on Savage was a villain. I never forgave him and when he joined forces with Hogan (who I hated after siding with Paul Orndorff), I was flummoxed. I hated everybody...

But when I look back at Randy and the fact that he inspired such hatred in the kid me that there was nothing he could do to gain my forgiveness (until he feuded with Warrior...who I hated...) what else can I say but that he was a legendary talent.

Randy Savage is one of my favorite Wrestling icons ever.

The irony is, as a kid when I started watching wrestling, I didn't fully appreciate him yet. The thing with Randy Savage is his prime was most definitely in the 80s. I didn't turn into a full-fledged wrestling addict until to early 90s, so by the time I became a regular I had missed his best work (safe for the bit when Jake's snake bit him - that was f'n awesome and I truly rooted for Randy to get his revenge). I thought his double-ax-handles from the top rope and his clotheslines looked weak. And then during his second WWF title reign his outfits often looked garish rather than cool. His Summerslam 92 match with the Ultimate Warrior was, as they say, the drizzling shits, what with him hopelessly overselling his storyline knee injury and I was glad when shortly thereafter Ric Flair beat him (in yet another almost unwatchable match) for the title, even though back then I hated Flair's guts. So, yeah, by then I had decided that Randy Savage was, in fact, a terrible wrestler. A great character for sure, but a terrible wrestler.

That perception didn't change until a year or so later, a brother of a buddy of mine gave me a bit of a history lesson. He had tons of tapes from the 80s and filled in many of my gaps, among them those classic Randy Savage Wrestlemania bouts with the Ultimate Warrior, Hogan and Ricky Steamboat. That's when my respect for the man grew immeasurably and he became not only one of my favorite characters, but one of my favorite wrestlers.

His run in WCW did little for me. To this day I'm not a fan of his later work. But the 1980s Macho Man Randy Savage was a wrestling God.

Matter of fact, if you look at my apartment you wouldn't know I was a wrestling fan, save for one thing: the framed Randy Savage poster in my living room. ^^ When my girlfriend and I move in together in the fall that thing will almost certainly have to go, but until then it will always put a smile on my face whenever I glance at it.

By the way, if you want further proof of the impact Randy Savage had on popular culture, check out this hack of the game Skyrim :lmao: :

Macho Man on Skyrim

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back