Report: TNA Talking to Four Networks For New 2016 Television Home

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Source: PWInsider.com

While the status of TNA Wrestling’s status on Destination America has been oft-debated, there still is a good possibility Impact Wrestling airs on a new cable network in early 2016.

It’s being said that TNA might be talking to as many as four networks right now, although it’s not known which ones they are. TNA could be off of domestic television for a few weeks or a month, but they may find a new home for the beginning of next year.

It was noted that some executives have commented about TNA’s status, saying they will be on Destination America through the end of this year, and will have a new cable network home in 2016.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/627...m_campaign=Feed:+Wrestlezonecom+(WRESTLEZONE)

--

Bad as things may be product-wise, I think we can all agree (at least we should) that having TNA remain on air is the best business decision possible for pro wrestling. My money is on WGN, who were rumored to be one of the contenders coming out of the Spike decision to drop TNA the last time around. The Velocity network was the other, which is a Discovery Communications subsidiary, so fair to assume they're out this time around.

WGN is as good as anything else because TNA can put on a lame product on any network. At the end of the day, they can blame it on whatever they want, but their ratings tend to suck because they put on a bad product that people don't want to watch. Unless they change up a lot of things, we're going to be having this same discussion in another nine months to a year.

The issue is that TNA needs a channel that is on basic cable like Spike. WGN is on most packages so it would be a good bet plus they had wrestling a couple years ago so it isn't a weird idea to have it again. I wonder though what kind of deal they are offering. You have to think if they are interested now then they were interested a year ago but TNA went to DA because they thought it was the best place. Are they going to get less money, are they going to get a bad timeslot? Given how much talent they have lost over the last several months, I can't see this as the networks now suddenly being interested so it makes me think these were old offers that they looked into again.

I really can't agree that TNA continuing on the air in its present state is 'good' for professional wrestling.

TNA is a fucking train wreck right now; more of a train wreck then when they were dropped by Spike, more of a train wreck then they were after The Hulk and Eric show ended, more of a train wreck then during the Aces and Eights train wreck. They've had the past year to reinvigorate their product, but the crap they're putting out now is at best uninspired and at worst simply confusing. What has TNA done over the past two years that would suggest that the next two will be any different?

Meanwhile, a renaissance is taking place in the 'independents'. The desire for "not WWE" is just as strong as ever, but there's no point creating a high-production program (relative term) so long as TNA occupies that niche.

I'm not worried about TNA's performers; the talented ones will go out and find work, and the 2/3's of the TNA roster no one recognizes will have had their fifteen minutes. (TNA ladies- rough break. They are all Too Old to debut in the WWE, which seems to have 30 as their new unofficial hard cap.) I'm not worried about TNA's production team; they're mostly temp workers at this point on a 'work as needed' basis. Their old staffers have long ago left for other jobs in media with regular pay.

I could agree, and easily, with your statement if it appeared that TNA would do something with the opportunity. Right now it seems TNA is trying to get a new TV contract for the sake of saying they have a new TV contract. With TNA off the air- and sadly, this part takes time- the available talent and airspace will be around for someone else to make a go at #2; someone who has more ambition than to simply stay alive.

If someone else was going to make a run for number 2 it would have already happened in the past 13 years. If someone is going to make a run then TNA doesn't have to die. There is plenty of good talent available to put on a great wrestling show if you have the resources.

Someone WAS making a run at #2 for the past thirteen years. It was TNA. There is only so much space for professional wrestling on cable television. You can't simply say "I wanna be the #2 professional wrestling company in America", it requires a confluence of money and talent at just the right time. Just like TNA did in the early 2000's- the wreckage of WCW and ECW left several talented performers available, and the lack of a WWE alternative led people with money to invest it where they thought it could be successful.

Go back to 2009. TNA looks stronger than ever, having just signed Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy, fuck it, we all know the list. With two nationally televised promotions, why would someone put down the bankroll to compete with them? With what talent?

We're actually already seeing this process in motion right now, as companies like GFW and LU are forming in the wake of TNA's wreckage, much like XPW, IWA-MS and yes, TNA formed from the wake of WCW's wreckage. Some of these new promotions will suck, like XPW. However, eventually, talent, money and ambition will once again line up in professional wrestling- much like they did for TNA over a decade ago.

Someone WAS making a run at #2 for the past thirteen years. It was TNA. There is only so much space for professional wrestling on cable television. You can't simply say "I wanna be the #2 professional wrestling company in America", it requires a confluence of money and talent at just the right time. Just like TNA did in the early 2000's- the wreckage of WCW and ECW left several talented performers available, and the lack of a WWE alternative led people with money to invest it where they thought it could be successful.

Go back to 2009. TNA looks stronger than ever, having just signed Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy, fuck it, we all know the list. With two nationally televised promotions, why would someone put down the bankroll to compete with them? With what talent?

We're actually already seeing this process in motion right now, as companies like GFW and LU are forming in the wake of TNA's wreckage, much like XPW, IWA-MS and yes, TNA formed from the wake of WCW's wreckage. Some of these new promotions will suck, like XPW. However, eventually, talent, money and ambition will once again line up in professional wrestling- much like they did for TNA over a decade ago.

:confused:

GFW STILL does not have a TV show. They taped content that is now 3 months old.

Lucha Underground is a TV show. Not a wrestling company and they are acting like a TV show. Having breaks in between seasons. And they BARELY got a second season. LU is not a long term investment.

I get it. You don't like TNA. But if there is a demand for a second promotion and fans are in need of one, then why hasn't ROH actually stepped up to the pate and become a second company? They are not. TNA is the second biggest company around here.

I would like to see TNA go to CMT or FSN1 or FSN2. I would prefer FSN because they seem to take any sports shows on their networks because they need programming to fill up as many hours as possible.

I still would not rule out a return to Spike TV as well.

if TNA snags a new TV deal, it won't be a bad thing.

Say what you will about them, but TNA always somehow, some way hangs in there.

Matt Hardy just won the World Championship and immediately vacated it because of lawyers. Matt Hardy isn't World Champion material anyway, so giving him a mercy title reign like this is probably the best you can do with him. The injunction story is horrible, it's confusing and a lame cover up for TNA's very real production woes. DestAm has TNA on life support tight now and can't wait to pull the plug. I wonder if they even care what the company is putting on their network.

GFW will take its spot.

I really can't agree that TNA continuing on the air in its present state is 'good' for professional wrestling.

TNA is a fucking train wreck right now; more of a train wreck then when they were dropped by Spike, more of a train wreck then they were after The Hulk and Eric show ended, more of a train wreck then during the Aces and Eights train wreck. They've had the past year to reinvigorate their product, but the crap they're putting out now is at best uninspired and at worst simply confusing. What has TNA done over the past two years that would suggest that the next two will be any different?

Meanwhile, a renaissance is taking place in the 'independents'. The desire for "not WWE" is just as strong as ever, but there's no point creating a high-production program (relative term) so long as TNA occupies that niche.

I'm not worried about TNA's performers; the talented ones will go out and find work, and the 2/3's of the TNA roster no one recognizes will have had their fifteen minutes. (TNA ladies- rough break. They are all Too Old to debut in the WWE, which seems to have 30 as their new unofficial hard cap.) I'm not worried about TNA's production team; they're mostly temp workers at this point on a 'work as needed' basis. Their old staffers have long ago left for other jobs in media with regular pay.

I could agree, and easily, with your statement if it appeared that TNA would do something with the opportunity. Right now it seems TNA is trying to get a new TV contract for the sake of saying they have a new TV contract. With TNA off the air- and sadly, this part takes time- the available talent and airspace will be around for someone else to make a go at #2; someone who has more ambition than to simply stay alive.

That's a nice fairy tale but I'm not going to root against TNA based on a fantasy of someone with deep pockets coming along on his/her white horse to fund a wrestling company that will give us all our hearts desire. Especially when you compare the circumstances when TNA/ROH/XWF/WWA all launched to right now. Unlike WCW, if TNA closed there wouldn't be a massive market left behind. We're 14 years removed from that now.

EDIT: And by the way, Lucha Underground wasn't formed out of TNA's "wreckage". It's the latest in a long line of attempts to target the sizable Hispanic pro wrestling audience in the United States. We saw something similar with Lucha Libre USA on MTV2 a few years ago.

TNA has fallen to being just another indie but think they are WWE competition. GFW is even more of a clusterf$&k. Unless you have $500M to buy talent and good wrestling people to run it you're just wasting your time. TNA has stars but they're TNA stars not anyone the average WWE type fan would tune in to. If they were star material Vince would have signed them already.

:confused:

GFW STILL does not have a TV show. They taped content that is now 3 months old.

Lucha Underground is a TV show. Not a wrestling company and they are acting like a TV show. Having breaks in between seasons. And they BARELY got a second season. LU is not a long term investment.
I hate repeating myself, but, because internet:
Rayne said:
We're actually already seeing this process in motion right now, as companies like GFW and LU are forming in the wake of TNA's wreckage, much like XPW, IWA-MS and yes, TNA formed from the wake of WCW's wreckage. Some of these new promotions will suck, like XPW.
Please tell me; what's TNA doing now? Shooting a television show once every three months, then hoping they'll get permission to shoot another one three months in the future. Which is exactly what LU is doing, which is exactly what the future of non-WWE professional wrestling is. Running live arena shows, especially a house tour, is an expensive proposition which may no longer make sense in the current professional wrestling market.
Louis said:
I get it. You don't like TNA.
Clearly you don't, because you're mistaking someone who's not an out-and-out fanboi for someone who must not like the company. I'm indifferent to them, but I can observe the business decisions they make and the likely consequences of those decisions. (FWIW, my track record on this is fucking awesome, not because I'm any kind of special talent, but because I understand C must follow B as B must follow A.)
Louis said:
But if there is a demand for a second promotion and fans are in need of one, then why hasn't ROH actually stepped up to the pate and become a second company? They are not. TNA is the second biggest company around here.
Hate to repeat myself, but again, because internet:
Rayne said:
Case in point: Smoky Mountain Wrestling. A promotion featuring many of the people who would go on to be stars in the late '90s, run by one of the best bookers in professional wrestling history, tanked horribly because it was competing with both WCW and WWE. Right idea, wrong time. Investment isn't just a matter of wanting something, it's a confluence of the right time, enough money, and hard effort.
That's a nice fairy tale but I'm not going to root against TNA based on a fantasy of someone with deep pockets coming along on his/her white horse to fund a wrestling company that will give us all our hearts desire.
So, what was Dixie Carter doing in professional wrestling before she bought into TNA? How about Ted Turner's illustrious background booking professional wrestling before he bought into Jim Crockett Promotions? Why is it that these people always seem to appear when there isn't much competition in the professional wrestling industry?

The right time, enough money, and hard effort. If someone believes that there's money to be made, they'll try to make it. It has nothing to do with your hearts desire, which is easily manipulated by recording a shoot interview.
mlp420 said:
And by the way, Lucha Underground wasn't formed out of TNA's "wreckage".
So, what's Hernandez been up to? ;)

I hate repeating myself, but, because internet:

Please tell me; what's TNA doing now? Shooting a television show once every three months, then hoping they'll get permission to shoot another one three months in the future. Which is exactly what LU is doing, which is exactly what the future of non-WWE professional wrestling is. Running live arena shows, especially a house tour, is an expensive proposition which may no longer make sense in the current professional wrestling market.

Clearly you don't, because you're mistaking someone who's not an out-and-out fanboi for someone who must not like the company. I'm indifferent to them, but I can observe the business decisions they make and the likely consequences of those decisions. (FWIW, my track record on this is fucking awesome, not because I'm any kind of special talent, but because I understand C must follow B as B must follow A.)

Hate to repeat myself, but again, because internet:

Case in point: Smoky Mountain Wrestling. A promotion featuring many of the people who would go on to be stars in the late '90s, run by one of the best bookers in professional wrestling history, tanked horribly because it was competing with both WCW and WWE. Right idea, wrong time. Investment isn't just a matter of wanting something, it's a confluence of the right time, enough money, and hard effort.

So, what was Dixie Carter doing in professional wrestling before she bought into TNA? How about Ted Turner's illustrious background booking professional wrestling before he bought into Jim Crockett Promotions? Why is it that these people always seem to appear when there isn't much competition in the professional wrestling industry?

The right time, enough money, and hard effort. If someone believes that there's money to be made, they'll try to make it. It has nothing to do with your hearts desire, which is easily manipulated by recording a shoot interview.

So, what's Hernandez been up to? ;)

TNA is planning on taping in late November to early December in India. Followed by the just announced TV taping in January in the UK. I don't called that "once every three months". LU is taping a half season's worth of shows in a couple of days. Somewhat different.

TNA, has gone back to doing house shows. They've done a few already and are continuing to do some more as ONO tapings.

Their business is starting to rebound.

On whether you are baised against TNA.

You said this in your OP:

"I really can't agree that TNA continuing on the air in its present state is 'good' for professional wrestling."

That's fine. You feel that way, cool. But fans like myself do not feel that way and want them to continue to stay afloat. And, most people in the actual wrestling business would disagree with you and want TNA to stay and feel it would terrible for the business if TNA folded.

Matt Hardy just won the World Championship and immediately vacated it because of lawyers. Matt Hardy isn't World Champion material anyway, so giving him a mercy title reign like this is probably the best you can do with him. The injunction story is horrible, it's confusing and a lame cover up for TNA's very real production woes. DestAm has TNA on life support tight now and can't wait to pull the plug. I wonder if they even care what the company is putting on their network.

GFW will take its spot.

Most people thought last night's Impact show was very good and well done. With the compliments being that it gave meaning and a purpose to each match. I saw more positive than negative reviews.

Second, TNA is already talking to 4 other networks. More like TNA pulling the plug on DA.

Finally, wake me when GFW FINALLY gets a TV show.

Almost two years and counting.

P.S.

Sorry for the double posts. I don't know how to the do the multi quotes from different commentators and put them into one post to make as one.

Great News.

If they can continue doing their World title tournament and it can spill into 2016 just for the their First TV tappings at the other place, it would be ideal.

WGN would be the place they should go cause of the so many homes they get into. I believe after AMC and Spike, WGN is the cable channel with the most reach.

At the end of the day if they can survive and put their house in order, not only it will get better but you may see the return of a few stars. I believe that Hogan, Sting, Joe, Storm,etc... left cause they saw in TNA an incertain future. But if they get a great relationship with their new home, the sky's the limit and you mat see TNA spend a little more for big name talent.

Louis said:
TNA is planning on taping in late November to early December in India. Followed by the just announced TV taping in January in the UK. I don't called that "once every three months". LU is taping a half season's worth of shows in a couple of days. Somewhat different.
Once every TWO months then, or until they get permission to shoot another. What was TNA's shooting schedule like just two years ago?
Louis said:
That's fine. You feel that way, cool. But fans like myself do not feel that way and want them to continue to stay afloat. And, most people in the actual wrestling business would disagree with you and want TNA to stay and feel it would terrible for the business if TNA folded.
Can you identify how "most people" came to be thought of? Is there a survey of this, or is this simply confirmation bias rearing its ugly head?
Most people thought last night's Impact show was very good and well done. With the compliments being that it gave meaning and a purpose to each match. I saw more positive than negative reviews.
I didn't see any reviews, even from this "most people" guy. Because I'd have to go out of my way to find them, because people no longer talk about TNA. It took three days after BFG for the first post in this section talking about it. (The threads in the other sections were "holy fuck, $50 and Matt Hardy?")
Louis said:
Second, TNA is already talking to 4 other networks. More like TNA pulling the plug on DA.
......And it was at this moment, that I realized I was talking to a True Believer. Like they walked out on Spike because Spike just wouldn't support them in the right ways? Who they had 'talks' with about staying on, and it later turned out those talks were "we're not interested in talking."
Louis said:
Finally, wake me when GFW FINALLY gets a TV show.

Almost two years and counting.
Again:
Rayne said:
Apparently the point needs to be made explicitly with you. There will be (are) several promotions that form as a larger company breaks into pieces. Most of these companies will fail. One of them, much like TNA did in the mid-2000's, will find a way of connecting with their fans in ways that other promotions and the WWE don't. NO ONE IS SAYING GFW IS THE "NEW" TNA.

Once every TWO months then, or until they get permission to shoot another. What was TNA's shooting schedule like just two years ago?

Can you identify how "most people" came to be thought of? Is there a survey of this, or is this simply confirmation bias rearing its ugly head?

I didn't see any reviews, even from this "most people" guy. Because I'd have to go out of my way to find them, because people no longer talk about TNA. It took three days after BFG for the first post in this section talking about it. (The threads in the other sections were "holy fuck, $50 and Matt Hardy?")

......And it was at this moment, that I realized I was talking to a True Believer. Like they walked out on Spike because Spike just wouldn't support them in the right ways? Who they had 'talks' with about staying on, and it later turned out those talks were "we're not interested in talking."

Again:

Apparently the point needs to be made explicitly with you. There will be (are) several promotions that form as a larger company breaks into pieces. Most of these companies will fail. One of them, much like TNA did in the mid-2000's, will find a way of connecting with their fans in ways that other promotions and the WWE don't. NO ONE IS SAYING GFW IS THE "NEW" TNA.

1 - At this time two years ago, they were taping two episodes in one city on one night. They taped a month's worth of shows in two nights.

2 - Most people like Jim Ross, Kevin Nash, Matt Morgan, AJ Styles have said that it is not good for the business if TNA folded.

3 - Well, the show saw an increase in viewers and ratings as it went up close to 30% for the show. People seemed to care enough to tune in.

1 - At this time two years ago, they were taping two episodes in one city on one night. They taped a month's worth of shows in two nights.

2 - Most people like Jim Ross, Kevin Nash, Matt Morgan, AJ Styles have said that it is not good for the business if TNA folded.

3 - Well, the show saw an increase in viewers and ratings as it went up close to 30% for the show. People seemed to care enough to tune in.

For one, Rayne will own each one of your posts.

Two, TNA's raitings have been a roller coaster effect since airing on DA. Wednesday was just a lucky day for them since it was the post PPV show.

Third, TNA is hurting and it shows. The brand is more damaged than it ever was. Will they or could they rebound? I don't know but they sure have tried over and over again. Will a network pick them up? Possibly but sometimes TNA says positive things when in a negative situation such as the one they are in now.

Stop using this "most people" thing. Unless you are prepared to demonstrate that "most people" is an actual group, and not you making a claim that an invisible majority is on your side, just, stop it.

At one point, TNA was taping once every two weeks, with additional Xplosion tapings. Now they are taping whenever they get an order for new shows, which they never seem to know when it will be these days, and you are getting pieced together matches from footage shot months ago for other events for the next few months. That is the point here.

As far as the recent showing on Impact, it is very normal for a post-PPV show to get a ratings bump. It would be weirder if they didn't. Ratings increase for one show, when they don't have any television lined up in three months, is not indicative of a turn around after a multi-year decline. The idea that they are 'dropping' DA is.... seriously, dude. They were supposed to be on DA for two years. They delivered so far under expectation that they got cut after nine months, with a three month grace period. Usually if you're going to quit one job, you have another lined up.

And before anyone thinks to say it, this isn't a case of "Rayne just wants to be right", because all along with TNA, I've said what the facts available looked like, then really hoped I was wrong. I've been wrong on TNA way less than I'd prefer. I rooted for them to survive for a long, long time, even while I thought they were making decisions that would ensure they didn't. Right now, there isn't much point for TNA existing beyond TNA continuing to exist, and while the change period once they leave television is going to be chaotic and uncomfortable, professional wrestling will ultimately be the better for it.

For one, Rayne will own each one of your posts.

Two, TNA's raitings have been a roller coaster effect since airing on DA. Wednesday was just a lucky day for them since it was the post PPV show.

Third, TNA is hurting and it shows. The brand is more damaged than it ever was. Will they or could they rebound? I don't know but they sure have tried over and over again. Will a network pick them up? Possibly but sometimes TNA says positive things when in a negative situation such as the one they are in now.

Actually, TNA's ratings on DA have been very good for most of the summer on DA. Not just a post BFG show.

They are touring in India and will tour in the UK. Their international deals are stronger than their US deal that that will keep them afloat.

Stop using this "most people" thing. Unless you are prepared to demonstrate that "most people" is an actual group, and not you making a claim that an invisible majority is on your side, just, stop it.

At one point, TNA was taping once every two weeks, with additional Xplosion tapings. Now they are taping whenever they get an order for new shows, which they never seem to know when it will be these days, and you are getting pieced together matches from footage shot months ago for other events for the next few months. That is the point here.

As far as the recent showing on Impact, it is very normal for a post-PPV show to get a ratings bump. It would be weirder if they didn't. Ratings increase for one show, when they don't have any television lined up in three months, is not indicative of a turn around after a multi-year decline. The idea that they are 'dropping' DA is.... seriously, dude. They were supposed to be on DA for two years. They delivered so far under expectation that they got cut after nine months, with a three month grace period. Usually if you're going to quit one job, you have another lined up.

And before anyone thinks to say it, this isn't a case of "Rayne just wants to be right", because all along with TNA, I've said what the facts available looked like, then really hoped I was wrong. I've been wrong on TNA way less than I'd prefer. I rooted for them to survive for a long, long time, even while I thought they were making decisions that would ensure they didn't. Right now, there isn't much point for TNA existing beyond TNA continuing to exist, and while the change period once they leave television is going to be chaotic and uncomfortable, professional wrestling will ultimately be the better for it.

- I provided you with names of people who are in or have been in the business. That's what you wanted. I don't see your point there.

- You did not ask for at "one point." You asked how their TV taping schedule was two years ago. They taped 2 weeks of shows in one day. A month worth of shows in 2 days. They never had additional Explosion tapings either. Explosion was / is taped on the very same night of taping Impact. Always has.

- Last year's post BFG show rating was below average.

- Again, that's your opinion. You don't speak for the rest of wrestling fans.
YOU don't think TNA being gone is a bad thing for the wrestling business. That's fine. But other fans like myself do think it's bad if TNA were to fold. You are trying to sell your opinion as fact as well. There is a difference.

Louis said:
Actually, TNA's ratings on DA have been very good for most of the summer on DA. Not just a post BFG show.
According to who?!?!? Certainly not according to the network that's currently paying for their content. If you want to talk ratings, you have to talk about the people they matter to.

Please spare me a quote from Jeff Jarrett in 2008 saying that TNA was profitable, or some other outdated junk.
Louis said:
- I provided you with names of people who are in or have been in the business. That's what you wanted. I don't see your point there.
You provided three people that at one point in time said TNA was a good thing. This does not allow the repeated usage of "most people" to reinforce your argument, it means that you named a few people who at one point in time said TNA was good. The point is that 'most people' is a poor debate tactic used to refer to an invisible audience which the user has no way of confirming. Maybe make a poll.
Louis said:
- You did not ask for at "one point." You asked how their TV taping schedule was two years ago. They taped 2 weeks of shows in one day. A month worth of shows in 2 days. They never had additional Explosion tapings either. Explosion was / is taped on the very same night of taping Impact. Always has.
Congratulations, you win the semantic point on TNA's taping schedule. The entire purpose of the argument, the actual point, was that TNA's taping on a drastically reduced schedule from where they were a few years ago. This is inarguable, although I'm sure people might try.
Louis said:
- Last year's post BFG show rating was below average.
TNA's been phoning it in for over a year?
Louis said:
- Again, that's your opinion. You don't speak for the rest of wrestling fans.
YOU don't think TNA being gone is a bad thing for the wrestling business. That's fine. But other fans like myself do think it's bad if TNA were to fold. You are trying to sell your opinion as fact as well. There is a difference.
No, I am stating my opinion with confidence in its accuracy. I do it well enough that people think I'm stating a fact, when all I'm actually doing is making an eloquent argument that's hard to argue against. This is called self-confidence, a trait "most wrestling fans" seem to lack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back