Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
ROUND ONE

FxcoOsO.png

It's time for Marvel and Nintendo to go two-on-two in this match of heavy hitters! Link is a former Battle Zone Champion, teaming up with one of X-men's mot popular mutant. however, they're taking on fellow Nintendo icon Mario and the X-Men's archnemesis and master of magnetism Magneto. Who moves on?

FIGHT!

Link has a metal sword, right? Link also has metal arrowheads? I see both coming to bite him in the arse against Magneto, who could most likely use them against Gambit as well.

Gambit could likely explode the arrows if they were used on him, but what about the sword? Also, Mario is in the mix too. He could probably hurl a few fireballs if we're playing Mario Brothers. I don't think Gambit could supercharge the fireballs.

Link has a metal sword, right? Link also has metal arrowheads? I see both coming to bite him in the arse against Magneto, who could most likely use them against Gambit as well.

And Link wears chain mail under his tunic. As much as it pains me to say it, Link wouldn't stand a chance with Magneto.

If Link was taken out quickly, which it seems like it would be from the reasons above, it would be Mario and Magneto against Gambit. As athletic and powerful as Gambit is, the onslaught would be relentless between what Magneto would throw at him and what Mario would throw at him.

I love Gambit, and I love Link even more but unfortunately, they got a bad first round draw.

And Link wears chain mail under his tunic. As much as it pains me to say it, Link wouldn't stand a chance with Magneto.

If Link was taken out quickly, which it seems like it would be from the reasons above, it would be Mario and Magneto against Gambit. As athletic and powerful as Gambit is, the onslaught would be relentless between what Magneto would throw at him and what Mario would throw at him.

I love Gambit, and I love Link even more but unfortunately, they got a bad first round draw.

Gambit carries a metal bo-staff, Mario carries a cape that can reflect projectiles. Magneto can create lightning via electromagnetic induction... Gambit's out of his league.

Someone mentioned the concept of Mario turning into Metal Mario and Magneto and flinging him around as a weapon. I really like that idea and think it could be quite affective to deliver some direct blows. In his metal form, Mario can take a giant influx of damage while being hurled at the opponents via Magneto's powers.

Combine that with all the previous arguments, and I think Magneto and Mario take this one easily.

Also, I am assuming that Mario can actually upgrade to Metal Mario via an excerpt from Doc's post in the Q&A thread.

Mario would have a few powerups, things like that.

This is a first round tune-up for Magneto and Mario, a team that I have pegged as the eventual winners of this tournament, and a powerful duo regardless of what I think.

Some might argue that Link has a magical arsenal that he can employ even if Magneto renders Link's metal weapons and armor useless (which I reckon is just about all of his weapons and armor), but it seems unlikely that Magneto would merely strip Link of his weapons and not use them against Hyrule's hero. Why not just detonate one of those bombs Link seems to be so fond of carrying around? Why not strangle him with his own chain mail under his armor? Why not bend Link's shield around him so that he's completely bound and incapacitated?

Magneto could defeat Link in all sorts of juicy ways, and that's without teaming up with Mario.

That leaves Gambit, and I think a lot of you are underselling Gambit vs. Magneto. Gambit is often seen as the charming goof of the X-Men, but when he needs to get his ass in gear, Gambit is as deadly as they come. His powers are so vast that he can spread his kinetic energy charge to any object in his field of vision, perhaps farther. He's also pretty handy at field combat and knows how to handle himself in even the toughest battles.

That said, this is Magneto, one of the most powerful mutants on Earth, and that's still discounting his wisdom and battle prowess. Combine that with Mario, a guy that will run through hoards of angry monsters, flying bullets (bills), cannon fire, and all sorts of traps, and Gambit is going to be overwhelmed very quickly. I'd wager that Gambit would actually be knocked out by Mario before Magneto. Magneto will distract Gambit by throwing a car at him, and Mario will charge at him and land one of his signature jumping uppercuts that will knock Gambit the fuck out.

Sad to see Gambit go in the first round, but hey, he lost to what may be the best team in this tournament.

Squash.

Link is completely screwed without his toys. That leaves a vunerable Link and Gambit against a damn near invincible team. Gambit's powers may prove a temporary setback but what does he have that can stop Magneto, let alone the plumber? Not a damn thing.

This will be one of the teams in the finals and they move on easily here.

Part of the reason I think Magneto and Mario are making a run in this tournament, all the way to the end; Magneto and Mario have proven at times that they're capable of working with their strongest enemies.

Some teams seem doomed to flop from the very beginning. This is looking at you, Power Puff Girls and Joker. But Mario has worked his mortal enemies when the time calls for it (See; Super Paper Mario, Legend of the Seven Stars). Magneto has also worked with the X-Men, when the time has called for it. This is a team that works with forces they may not always agree with, for the betterment of their mission.

Gambit? At heart, he's a rogue (sorry) wanderer, really best on his own. He'll play nice when needed, but I've never seen him as all that trustworthy. Which leads to the eventual demise of what might have been a promising team.

All of the X-Men combined struggle against Magneto. No offense to poor Gambit but he isn't even one of the mutant big hitters and Link (as already mentioned) might have a great arsenal but it all plays into the hands of a guy who controls the elements that make them dangerous in the first place.

Mario is a sleeping partner here, Eric takes out the G&L and acts all superior.

Link doesn't just have a hookshot and a sword. He has masks.

Now I feel the Goron mask would be particularly helpful here. When he puts it on he becomes a Goron, he gets their strength and the rolling ability. Basically he's able to roll super fast and he's hard as a rock. What happens to Mario, when something jumps on him? He usually dies. Now what happens when a big Goron who is as hard as a rock and his traveling at high speeds jumps on him? I'm pretty sure he's fucked. Now I'm sure could dodge and jump away but then Gambit will be attacking at the same time.

Magneto has nothing to stop Goron Link either, as he has no metal. Once Mario is out, Magneto has no way of stopping Goron Link, so I'd imagine he'd hover or float away from him. Link puts on the Zora Mask, z target, boomerang.

Link and Gambit win.

Now I feel the Goron mask would be particularly helpful here. When he puts it on he becomes a Goron, he gets their strength and the rolling ability. Basically he's able to roll super fast and he's hard as a rock. What happens to Mario, when something jumps on him? He usually dies. Now what happens when a big Goron who is as hard as a rock and his traveling at high speeds jumps on him? I'm pretty sure he's fucked. Now I'm sure could dodge and jump away but then Gambit will be attacking at the same time.

Magneto has nothing to stop Goron Link either, as he has no metal. Once Mario is out, Magneto has no way of stopping Goron Link, so I'd imagine he'd hover or float away from him. Link puts on the Zora Mask, z target, boomerang.

Link and Gambit win.

Couldn't Magneto just get some metal from somewhere else? Like a roof rafter or a car or something, and use that to fight off Goron mask Link? Also, Goron mask Link sounds similar to a Koopa shell, and we all know what Mario does with those, right?

Link and Gambit win.

False. Magneto's powers extend beyond merely control of magnetism. He can create forcefields that can withstand being nuked. Goron Link cannot hurt Magneto. Magneto can also destroy things on a molecular level by altering chemical bonds. Link is fucked, no matter what mask he's wearing.

False. Magneto's powers extend beyond merely control of magnetism. He can create forcefields that can withstand being nuked. Goron Link cannot hurt Magneto. Magneto can also destroy things on a molecular level by altering chemical bonds. Link is fucked, no matter what mask he's wearing.

Let's not go crazy now: Magneto almost never uses his ability to break things down at the molecular level. He's capable of doing so, but he doesn't usually whip that power out in the heat of the fight.

You are quite right that he can create very powerful forcefields, however, and while making one powerful enough to withstand a nuke would be a huge task, Magneto would certainly be able to create one that could withstand being crushed by a giant rock.

But I'd like to think Magneto doesn't even have to do that. Instead, Magneto simply hovers around the battle field (after defeating Gambit) and lets Mario run interference while he sets up a trap for Goron Link. I'm imagining a quarter pipe ramp that he quickly turns into a full pipe, and then plugging the sides of that pipe with more metal, effectively trapping Link in a box. If Link stays in Goron form, Magneto simply lifts his trap and drops it into the ocean. If Link exits Goron form, Magneto crushes him by collapsing the box.

Whether he's using his most absurdly powerful abilities or using his basic powers in clever ways, Magneto brings too much to the table to lose this fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back