Royal rumble review

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
Kinda wanted to do a quick review of the event

The show started strong with the reigns vs Rollins match. I actually loved seeing rolling coming out in the old shield gimmick as it played really well into the story they were telling. While a dq finish is always feel like a crappy finish, in that case it made total sense and the afterbirth made even more sense considering the history between the 2. Overall great way to start the show. 5/5

The women's rumble was again really strong. They had to rely alot on nostalgia this year as the women's roster is really thin right now but the cameo were use really well and weren't really in the way and they told a lot of different stories throughout. The ending felt rush but that was the history of both rumble this year.
Coming out of this match, I want to see if they do more with the bellas and with Sarah Logan. 4/5

Next was the doudrop vs Becky lynch match and let face it. While the match was really strong, nobody cared about it probably because of it following the rumble and what was going on with the mania signs being on fire during that match. If you take this out of this equation, the match was really strong and it made doudrop look like she belong in the top mix. They need to change her name ASAP but outside of that, it still made doudrop look like a top girl. 3/5

Next, Brock lesnar vs Bobby Lashley. That match was a really fun tough guy contest. I feel the Heyman turn felt rush and unnecessary but I get they had to put this reigns vs Lesnar feud back on course after it got somewhat derailed at day 1. My only problem with it was that it also made Lashley look like a afterthought as his victory wasn't the focal point at the end, it was a about Lesnar and reigns, so the new champ felt like a afterthought. 3/5

Following this you had the intergender match. You got to give it to all 4, they tried their hardest to make this match entertaining But they got put in a tough position of being between the WWE title match and the men's rumble. Still I still like that match and I hope this was the blowoff match in this feud and both can get a bigger feud going into mania. 3/5

The men's rumble was really predictable. Let's face it, as soon as you realise that they had announced 95% of the participants you knew that you wouldn't get as many surprised as we usely get and it made it a really boring match to watch. Still, I actually like this match anyway as it truly felt like a old school rumble and even through you didn't have a lot of stars, it was still good. The only problem I had with this was Kofi screw up during his elimination. I'm not his fault that this was screwed up as accident happens but the fact the camera caught it really clearly was were my problem was. Again the ending felt rush and 8 would have taken more of Lesnar and drew. So in the end, this was still a great match overall and the right guy won. 3/5

In the end, pretty strong even overall, not great or truly bad but it did advance a lot of stories going into elimination chamber and mania. 3/5

I enjoyed most of the show, but the men's Rumble was TERRIBLE this year. It would have been far better if Lesnar hadn't entered so late, and the ending felt horribly rushed. The final four should have been Lesnar, Orton, McIntyre, and Styles, and that should have lasted a while before the ending. The WWE Championship match was also badly booked, as it makes Lashley look horribly weak, being completely dominated by Lesnar with little effort.

After the Rumble, I can see WrestleMania shaping up something like this:

WrestleMania 38 Saturday:

1) Fatal Four Way Ladder Match for the RAW Tag Team Championships - Alpha Academy (C) vs. The Street Profits vs. Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode vs. Apollo Crews & Commander Azeez
2) Dominik Mysterio (w/Rey Mysterio) vs. Austin Theory
3) Intercontinental Championship - Shinsuke Nakamura (C) (w/Rick Boogs) vs. Happy Corbin (w/Madcap Moss)
4) Andrè the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
5) Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre
6) Fatal Four Way Match for the WWE Championship - Bobby Lashley (C) (w/MVP) vs. AJ Styles vs. Seth Rollins vs. Randy Orton
7) SmackDown Women's Championship - Charlotte Flair (C) vs. "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey

WrestleMania 38 Sunday:

1) Triple Threat Match for the RAW Women's Championship - Becky Lynch (C) vs. Bianca Belair vs. Rhea Ripley
2) Ladder Match for the United States Championship - Damian Priest (C) vs. Matt Riddle vs. Omos vs. Rey Mysterio vs. R-Truth vs. Finn Balor vs. Kevin Owens
3) WWE Women's Tag Team Championships - Queen Zelina & Carmella (C) vs. Liv Morgan & Dana Brooke
4) No Holds Barred Match - Edge vs. The Miz
5) WrestleMania Women's Battle Royal
6) 2-out-of-3-Falls Match for the SmackDown Tag Team Championships - The Usos (C) vs. The New Day
7) Universal Championship - Roman Reigns (C) (w/Paul Heyman) vs. Brock Lesnar

Nice thread, maybe something we should do going forward, hopefully get a bit more life about the forums.

Reigns v Rollins.
Seth kinda morphed into 'Joker Sting' the last couple of weeks. The Shield intro was a bit of nostalgia if nothing else. A good match to open the show, the dq finish made Rollins come out of this strong and right back in either main title picture.

Women's Rumble.
Largely a load of crap tbh. Rousey coming back and winning obviously puts her on a collision with Charlotte or Becky, but their was no stand out performance in my view. Shayna, Rhea or Naomi could have been put in to work the stretch during the middle and eliminate a few others while looking strong and getting a bit of a push. Also, I've no problem with returns but the majority of them were 'hello and goodbye' visits. Maybe controversial, but the Women's Rumble could be reduced to 25 participants until they boost the roster.

Becky v Doudrop.
We knew this belt wasn't going to change hands, always a tough gig going on after a match that has the crowd invested and they done well considering the sign melting etc. and everything else.

Lesnar v Lashley.
It had it's moments. A pet peeve of mine is the over acting in WWE. Reigns comes in, spears Lesnar, then takes what felt like an eternity for Hetman to turn, hand over the belt and Reigns use it on Lesnar to help Lashley win. Other than a rubber match with Goldberg, I don't know what the plan is now. Styles, Edge and Orton are doing other storylines and heel v heel against Owens or Rollins doesn't really sound entertaining.

Mixed tag.
Now apparently when there is a tag, it's an automatic requirement for it to be the same gender facing off, so the 'hot tag' to Edge made no sense. I thought ring rust showed a bit in this one but it wasn't as bad as other mixed tag matches I've seen. Still feels like their is plenty of life left in this feud.

Men's Royal Rumble.
As with Women's Rumble, why not put Orton in a bit earlier, say in Riddle's no. 20 spot. He's from Missouri, let him get a few eliminations and get the crowd into it.
I thought the match died a bit during the middle with it being top heavy with Drew at 21 onwards.
Change the final order of entrants up - 25. Shane, 26. Otis, 27. Riddle, 28. Lesnar, 29. Owens 30. Drew. The final 3 for me should have been Lesnar, Orton and McIntyre, but anyway the right guy won for storyline purposes.

After the Rumble, I can see WrestleMania shaping up something like this:

WrestleMania 38 Saturday:

1) Fatal Four Way Ladder Match for the RAW Tag Team Championships - Alpha Academy (C) vs. The Street Profits vs. Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode vs. Apollo Crews & Commander Azeez
2) Dominik Mysterio (w/Rey Mysterio) vs. Austin Theory
3) Intercontinental Championship - Shinsuke Nakamura (C) (w/Rick Boogs) vs. Happy Corbin (w/Madcap Moss)
4) Andrè the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
5) Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre
6) Fatal Four Way Match for the WWE Championship - Bobby Lashley (C) (w/MVP) vs. AJ Styles vs. Seth Rollins vs. Randy Orton
7) SmackDown Women's Championship - Charlotte Flair (C) vs. "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey

WrestleMania 38 Sunday:

1) Triple Threat Match for the RAW Women's Championship - Becky Lynch (C) vs. Bianca Belair vs. Rhea Ripley
2) Ladder Match for the United States Championship - Damian Priest (C) vs. Matt Riddle vs. Omos vs. Rey Mysterio vs. R-Truth vs. Finn Balor vs. Kevin Owens
3) WWE Women's Tag Team Championships - Queen Zelina & Carmella (C) vs. Liv Morgan & Dana Brooke
4) No Holds Barred Match - Edge vs. The Miz
5) WrestleMania Women's Battle Royal
6) 2-out-of-3-Falls Match for the SmackDown Tag Team Championships - The Usos (C) vs. The New Day
7) Universal Championship - Roman Reigns (C) (w/Paul Heyman) vs. Brock Lesnar

This deserves a separate thread but here goes my prediction:
WrestleMania 38, Night 1.
1. Women's Title - Charlotte (c) v Ronda Rousey.
2. World Title - Lashley (c) v Goldberg v Seth Rollins.
3. Smackdown Tag-Titles (Ladder Match) - The Usos v The New Day v Sheamus/Ridge v Cesaro/Ricochet.
4. Austin Theory v Shane McMahon.
5. IC Title - Shinsuke Nakamura (c) v Happy Corbin.
6. 2 out of 3 falls - Edge v The Miz.
7. Authority Assistant Match - Sonya Deville v Naomi.

WrestleMania 38, Night 2.
1. Universal Title - Roman Reigns (c) v Brock Lesnar.
2. Raw Women's Title - Becky Lynch (c) v Bianca Belair.
3. No. 1 Contenders Match - Big E v Drew McIntyre.
4. US Title - Damian Priest (c) v Kevin Owens v AJ Styles.
5. Andre The Giant Battle Royal.
6. Raw Tag-Titles - Alpha Academy v The Mysterios v The Street Profits v RK-Bro.
7. Women's Tag-Titles - Queen Zelina & Carmella (C) vs Rhea Ripley & Sasha Banks.

I like the idea of predicting where they are going for mania. So here what I think the card will look

Mania Saturday.

1. Ladder match for the u.s title: Damian priest vs kevin Owen vs Austin theory vs Finn balor

2. Smackdown tag team title match: the uso's vs the new day vs the viking raiders.

3. Andre the giant battle royal

4. Aj styles vs edge

5. Drew McIntyre & mystery partner vs madcap moss and happy Corbin

6. WWE title match: Bobby Lashley vs Seth Rollins

7. Smackdown women's title match: Ronda rousey vs Charlotte flair

Wrestlemania Sunday

1. Raw women's title match: Becky lynch vs Bianca belair

2. Raw tag team title match: rkbro vs alpha academy vs dirty dawg

3. Rey mysterio vs dominik mysterio

4. Naomi vs Sonya Deville

5. Women's tag team title match: queen zelina/Carmella vs the Bella twins

6. WWE IC title match: Sami zayn vs shinsuke nakamura vs Rick boogs