Soriano signs with Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soriano is an outstanding player.. 17 Mill isnt a lot compared to a few other players salarys.. Hopefully, he can guide this team to the Play Offs... I dont see how you can say he isnt worth it? Hes been putting up 30 HR's and 100+ Rbi's every year..

^Yeah. I don't know how you can say he's not worth 17 mil a year. That's not a lot in baseball money especially for a player like Soriano. With how terrible the Cubs have been he can really help dig them out of a hole. With him and Zambrono, I think they could be very close to the playoffs.

carson08 said:
17 million a year? Are you serious? He doesn't deserve half that money.
Terrible signing. He has the worst contract in the league now.

It doesn't make sense for absolutely any player to be making close to that per year but that's what the market dictates these days. If a decent player makes a certain amount then a better player naturally deserves more and when a team is desperately in need of someone, overpaying happens and the player often gets even more than the ridiculous amount that they expect. It happens throughout mlb and in other sports.

it makes sense that it'd be Cubs to sign this guy to that much. Terrible, terrible, terrible, move.

Yes it does make sense considering that they haven't won a world series in almost 100 years and has the money to go out and overspend. Other teams do it. Would you make the same comment of "if makes sense" if another team were to have done it?

giantz4eva said:
With him and Zambrono, I think they could be very close to the playoffs.

It takes a lot more than a guy who pitches once every five games and one player to make that happen. The overall team though is starting to look better as long as the starting pitching is now addressed. Of course injuries could be a bad factor, as they could be with any team.

PauLwaLL said:
I dont see how you can say he isnt worth it? Hes been putting up 30 HR's and 100+ Rbi's every year..

Well a .351 OBP is not worth 17 million a year. And that was the highest it's ever been. His career OBP is .325. That's terrible. He's a leadoff hitter that strikes out and doesn't walk. He's a below average feilder and he may be the most overrated player in the league. You don't base how good a player is by his RBI total. That's what makes them overrated.

last year he was one of the best out fielders in the game go look at his stats and cubs now might have the best team in baseball if lee can stay healthy

^^^

Before anyone can truly onsider them a true contender, let alone possibly being the best team, they need some better starting pitching. Hendry is hopefully going to be aggressive to get that done. One interesting thing is that the Cubs will probably start Prior but haven't actually claimed to be counting on him like in years past. Therefore anything good that he does would be a bonus rather than an expectation.

The Cubbies will be nothing but a let down again.. There pitching sucks... Pitching wins championships.. Prior can't stay healthy, Kerry Wood is a bum, and I can't name another pitcher they have besides Carlos Zambrano, I mean he is good but he has thrown lots of pitches over the least three years and it isn't long before his arm starts wearing down and getting hurt.

wrestleman57 said:
last year he was one of the best out fielders in the game go look at his stats and cubs now might have the best team in baseball if lee can stay healthy

Best outfielders? He had the best year of his career, but it wasn't that great. Outfielders better than him just this past year, not only talking about career wise:

Lance Berkman
Grazy Sizemore
Carlos Beltran
Manny Ramierez
Jermaine Dye
Vladimier Guerrero
Vernon Wells
Matt Holliday
Jason Bay
Carlos Lee
Gary Mathews
Andruw Jones
Ichiro(just barely better)

Out of those guys, I can only see Soriano being better than Mathews next year.

Not to mention if healthy, Barry Bonds is a billion better. Same with JD Drew. Also expect Carl Crawford to put up better numbers than him. So if you want, I can provide stats. But it's not like you'll understand them so I won't unless you guys want me too. But Soriano is not a great player. This is one of the worst contracts of all time.

I didn't read this whole thread, but giving a guy that is 31 years old a gaureented contract for 8 years is insane.
It's a stupid move by the Cubs, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back