Dirk Nowitzki Opting Out

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5210625

So according to this, Dirk is opting out of his contract with the Mavs. While this doesn't mean he's leaving, it certainly would look like he is. That's quite a big move as he's the best player on that team. It also hurts any possible chance they had of landing Lebron. I can understand it though as he's tired of hardly ever being a threat of winning a title in Dallas.

So what does this mean around the league, in the conference or just in Dallas?

Dayyyyummmm. This free agent class just got a whole lot deeper. Honestly, if New York can't land Lebron, they should go after Nowitzki and a good 2 like Joe Johnson or Dwayne Wade, if he becomes a FA as well. This offseason looks to be quite an exciting one.

This in no way means he is leaving. Dirk was expected to opt out because he is looking for a bigger deal then his current one and by doing this it gives him leverage. If he didn't opt out and a new deal wasn't reached then he'd be stuck in his old contract. Now he has all the leverage in negotiations. Unless Dallas completely drops the ball expect Dirk in a Dallas uniform next year.

I agree with Big Sexy. No way he is leaving. All he wants is more money. Not only that, but Mark Cuban will not let his only star player leave. Although he wants Lebron, Cuban will make the first offer to Dirk out of respect for the players thats been with him for years.

I hope he stays in Dallas. You have certain players who should remain on the same team for their whole career, and when you trade them or they leave, it could be bad, or leave a bit of a damper on their legacy. Dirk Nowitzki is one of those people. In my opinion, I think that Dallas is the only place Dirk can win a ring in. He's been on the team for 12 years, he's been through so many different transactions between Steve Nash, Michael Finley, Jason Kidd, Caron Butler, Devin Harris and so many other people. Dirk has reached a point that a ring is not needed to help solidify his legacy. As much as I love Dirk (he's my favorite player)... I don't think he needs a ring, even though I'd love to see him get one. Although I'd love to see him stay in Dallas also.

He's staying in Dallas. While he might listen to other offers, the plan is to stay in Dallas. This about getting more money, which Cuban will give him. So while it sounds big by seeing that in the news, its really just a money move. I fully expect him to stay with Dallas and see who Cuban brings in to try to contend for a title.

I hope not, I think this would be a pretty harsh hit to that organization which is already reeling from another disappointing post season. Dirk is the Dallas Mavericks of current times and it would be a real shame if he leaves them. He is very recognizable with the organization and vice versa. However, I can't fault him for his feelings. He has done a lot for Dallas during his career and the team still fails when it comes to winning the big one and at this point he has to be a little worried about his place in history without a title to his name. I really hope he stays seeing as he is my favorite current NBA player and is on my second favorite basketball team but again I can't really fault him if he does leave town.

He isn't going anywhere. He just wants to see the market, he might opt for a lower contract so Dallas could bring in another solid free agent. His supporting cast is whacked, he loves Dallas, it has been to good for him. So this is his way to test the market.

This about getting more money, which Cuban will give him
no it's not, his contract is worth 20 million next year. Its about opening space to bring in another free agent or trying to resign the role players on his team. Nowinski can't do it all. He's staying, this is his cry for help in Dallas, and it will work. Sorry.

Nowinski is the Mavericks and Mark Cuban knows how much he means to the team and the city of Dallas. Mark will get it done and will do it at all costs. He'll meet Nowinskis requirements and Dallas will be a decent team next year... They just need a PG...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back