State of tag team wrestling

tommyh

BEER MONEY
Ive been watching wrestling since the early 90's.So i grew up watching some of the greatest tag teams there has ever been.Back then there were teams like the legion of doom,The steiner brothers,Harlem heat,The rockers,and all the other greats teams.But as of latley i just do not see any tag teams in eather tna or wwe.I mean the teams that tna did have they broke them up an they have taken the path of the wwe of just throwin two guys together an calling them a team.I was wondering what everyone thought of the current state of the tag team division in both WWE an Tna.Do you think it would just be better if they just got rid of the tag team division and just added another single title.Or is there anything that can be done to save tag team wrestlin.Im not sure what can be done to save it or if anything can be done.Just wantin to hear your thoughts on this

As of right now, of the three major wrestling companies in the United States, the only one that has a healthy tag team scene is ROH. They've had it for several years now. Generally speaking, tag team wrestling still has a strong presence on the indy circuit as well.

TNA used to have a strong Tag Team Division as well but I think a lot of people got the feeling that it was going to get much weaker by late 2010. By then, the only upper tier teams on the roster with the Motor City Machine Guns & Beer Money. They'd already had a great feud over the titles in the summer of that year and TNA resorted to setting up another feud between them only about 6 months or so later. They had good matches but it wasn't nearly as interesting or good. Beer Money had also kind of gotten stale as they'd been on top of the TNA tag picture for so long. There was nothing left for them to accomplish and it's a big reason why their last run was so lackluster. Then Chris Sabin got hurt as was put out of action, and probably will be out of action for a good portion of this year. As a result, Alex Shelley has been practically MIA except for a couple of appearances in X Division matches. As of right now, the tag team scene mostly consists of Matt Morgan & Crimson and Samoa Joe & Magnus. Morgan & Crimson were feuding up until recently, their reign has been extremely lackluster and overall uninteresting. Joe & Magnus are another "thrown together" tag team that seem to be put together for a lack of anything else to do with them. Not that they don't have good chemistry, but these two teams are a good example that TNA's tag team scene isn't the powerhouse it was a few years ago.

When it comes to the WWE, tag team wrestling has been pretty irrelevant for the second half of the past decade. Vince would rather focus on creating individual singles stars and I also think he's just much of a fan of tag team wrestling. There have been some solid signs of improvement since Kofi Kingston & Evan Bourne became champions. They had some good matches with the Usos, with Miz & R-Truth, Tyler Reks & Curt Hawkins, and Primo & Epico but it's lost some steam since Bourne was suspended due to Wellness Policy. Kofi & Bourne have been good champs, the best the title has seen in a very long time. The Usos are a team with promise, Primo & Epico can both deliver inside the ring, Reks & Hawkins are a nice mix of speed & power and I'm thinking that maybe Hunico & Comacho might team together. There are enough good teams overall for WWE to have a pretty healthy tag team scene if the time & effort is put into it.

In WWE the tag team division is all but dead now. It was already on life support but with Bourne's suspension they have lost Air Boom, who was meant to be the focal point of the division. The other remaining teams consist of the horrendously awful Usos that need to be future endeavoured, and Epico & Primo who are only champions so that Kofi is not forced to represent a team by himself all the time. It's time to pull the plug on that division. As for TNA.... They had a great tag team division but it has progressively grown weaker and now we see a lot of random pairings like WWE did for a while. I think they will be able to save the TNA tag division and do not need to create a third secondary title to replace it with. WWE could always bring back the Cruiserweight Championship to give their high flyers something to do, since there is next to nothing they can do to restore credibility to their tag team division now.

I have to agree with u dagger the wwe tag team division is all but dead.I would love for the wwe start back up a Cruiserweight division.Im sure if the wwe did this they would get some of the x division guys to jump ship.As for ROH i dont get that where i live at so i havent seen any of there tag team division

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back