The US Title Vs. IC Title

LEGEND KILLER

Occasional Pre-Show
We all complained at some point over the past year, the titles dont have prestige etc. Rey and Jericho and now Ziggler really brought the level of prestige of that title back. Rey/Jericho feud was top 5 of the year, and now the Ziggler/rey feud has also been what we all thrived for. A compelling, long feud....oh wait Rey just got suspended!

Smackdown has a task in hand and tonight we will find out the route they go. In a previous thread i hoped and i stilll do for Rey getting beaten down and Ziggy proclaiming himself the new IC champ only to have Long come out and for next weeks smackdown setup a Tournament for the IC title. Anyways 1 can only guess what will go down tonight at the tapings but the best part is and proof of the fact the IC title means something again is at least i can vouch, whatever happens tonight i WILL be interested and i WILL be watching friday night!

Back to Raw, Last night Kofi defended his belt again in a great matchup with Swagger, Carlito, Miz. He won yet again and i have no problem with that but what my problem is stems from the lack of knowing who the heck Kofi is. Has he ever held a mic? ok yeah but for how long? Give the man a mic, let him develop on the mic. Let us know who the heck he is. He is entertaining as heck in the ring but he doesnt speak!

So after all of this i have 2 questions....

What would you do with Kofi?

What belt is more "prestigious" at this point in time

please explain in detail....

I would have Kofi keep the belt until breaking point where he drops the belt...at that point i would have him come out on Raw and turn on the fans proclaiming his home town as the best and bashing the US fans. Saying he tried to help the US by giving them a leader they could believe in and be proud of. Long shot and i know it wont happen, but i would like to see them do this with him, it would be a shocker and it could move him away from the US title picture and yes it may be a bit prematture but push him into the main event picture (NOT for the title but start feuds with the likes of Shawn Micheals, John Cena etc. Micheals Kofi would be an epic, high flying feud. Anyways again i stress i am not believing anything like this will happen. Realistically i see Kofi holding the belt until Breaking point and dropping it. Leading to him chasing the belt for a few months.

IMO the IC title has the edge in terms of becoming for prestigious although Kofi, and the Raw midcard guys have done a great job overall. I give the edge to smackdown (no pun intended) just because kofi needs a mic to develop his character.

Thoughts??

ive heard kofi speak a few times on tv but he definitly doesnt cut any promos or go at anyone on the mic at all. he just comes out and gestures for the crowd and kids and gets what reaction he does. im a fan but i def would like to see more...if he loses the title i hope its for something bigger..

i have said on this site before to have him win the king of the ring and go heel there and return as King Kofi , it'd be the perfect way to get him heel and have some sort of reason to use king in someones name and actually have it mean something

In my opinion, the U.S Championship is the better of the two, but it is definatly lossing prestige on Monday Nights, being that's there hasn't been one good fued with Kofi. The same case with the Intercontinental Championship, when it was on RAW, it was fine when CM Punk won it, but when he dropped it to JBL and going through a hot potatoe like state people said it was losing it's prestige, and it was. But now that the title and gold is on SmackDown!, the writers working for SD! are putting to good use and putting the prestige back to the glorious title.

So, why so I think the US Championship is better? Because out of the two, it's been used to promote young talent and give them the chance to prove their worth. That's of course when it was on SD!, on RAW there's not even storylines being made for it, because the writers have their head up their main event asses...

For Kofi Kingston, I think he should fued with a big guy on the roster, a real destroyer, like with Cena and Show. It'll definatly put his skills to the test...

The I.C title is by far the better of the 2. While the U.S title seems to now be used to promote the young guns and give them a chance to prove themselves, the I.C title on SmackDown! has been uses by established vets to defend it more often and get the young guys to chase it and eventually earn it. I like how creative on SmackDown! has restored a lot of prestige to the title (although Rey has just dealt a sever blow to it). Raw is a clusterF*** at the moment, but I do like how Kofi has been like a "survivor" and has escaped impossible odds by WWE standards to retain his title. I like it and it makes people watch and wonder "How is he doing it?"

The U.S title has a bright future if Raw's creative team can put even half as good feuds to SmackDowns feud up. There is a ton of potential with the young stars in Kofi, Swagger, Bourne, MVP, Miz, Carlito, and Primo there. It just needs the chance to build and grow now. Until then, the edge goes to SmackDown! and the Intercontinental Championship.

I agree with jbk. The U.S title has so much potential with the young guys on Raw to bring them up. However the I.C title at this moment has the most prestige. The Jericho-Rey feud was gold. The Rey-Ziggler feud imo has been just as great. The violation on Rey's part may kill it but its been great and has given credibilty to Dolph and is making him look good. And dolph has done a great job of taking advantage of this opportunity. Because we know very little about Kofi, we are just watching good matches without any storyline.

They have to put Kofi in a serious, intense program with plenty of back and forths. He needs to talk, and we as an audience need to found out who the character Kofi is. Pre-taped vignettes like "Word Up" but a version for Kingston would be great. More interview time would benefit him as well.

The IC title has been gaining steam but Mysterio failing the drug test really killed it. Wrestlers have been popping prescription pills for 30+ years, why is Rey all of the sudden getting suspended? Michaels used to pop them in the locker room with Davey, Kid, Razor, Hawk and there was drug testing back then. Put Morrison and Ziggler in the IC scene since Rey will be out of commission and lets see some great matches.

I feel the I.C title has always meant more and because it is a WWE championship it will always mean more. The U.S title also means a lot but not better then the I.C. A lot of great wrestlers have held one of those belts but some great workers like Curt Henning has held both in his career.

I watched Summerslam, my first wrestling PPV since Mania (albeit I didn't order either). Of course I saw the opener, the Mysterio/Ziggler match. Man it was hot, not only was it a fast paced frenetic contest but Ziggler (a much improved Ziggler for that matter) was over huge. The IC belt for the first time (to me) in years felt like it meant something. Sure Mysterio won but Ziggler looked so good and was so over that it really didn't matter. Also the commentary hinted that Ziggler was only one step away from being champion by insinuating that another match and possible victory was forthcoming.

Then on Monday I decided to give Raw a shot. I was more than underwhelmed (another story for another time), but I did find the US title bout enjoyable. The problem is non of the competitors were as over as Mysterio and Ziggler, also Kofi is athletic but I honestly feel every match of his is the same. He hasn't seemed to progress nor does he seem to be telling a story. He gets his signature spots in and then the finish. I felt this would improve in time but it hasn't.

So when you compare the two the IC belt seems to mean more. Not only is an over veteran star giving a damn about a midcard title but it has vaulted a nobody to almost superstardom. Judging by Ziggler's crowd reaction I could see him winning money in the bank, I can't say that for Kofi or any of his competitors on Monday. On top of that the fans were into the Mysterio and Ziggler match as if it were a world title bout, again the US title bout on Monday was a far cry from that. Of course maybe if I was more informed of the current product I would be able come to a more educated assessment of the two midcard titles, but speaking from a casual fan watching two recent broadcasts it seems that the IC belt means more than the US title at this time.

I feel the Intercontinental Championship has more prestige then the United States Championship. Just look at the guys who held the belt:

John Morrison-The future of the WWE. A future world champion, and this will be a great way to push him into the main event scene.

Rey Mysterio-Who can argue that his matches with Ziggler were great? Rey had the feud of the year with Y2J, and it was all over this belt.

Chris Jericho-The best heel in the WWE, hands down. He has held the belt what, 9 times, and just by putting the title in his hands the belt has more worth to it.

Rey Mysterio-See above post of same wrestler.

Of course there have been some crap reigns, but this belt will always be the best IMO.

In my view the IC title has always been superior to the US belt. I kind of miss the days where the IC or US champ would feud with the actual champion. Ever since the fall of WCW and the influx in more guys on the roster in WWE, that it's now just a little stepping stone into a potential heavyweight title run.

It seem like it used to be a definite that at some point those whom had those title, would be a future World Champ. It's been a while since a guy was catapulted in the way it used to be.

i agree, the IC title just means more because most of the people who hold that title become World Champion or WWE Champion. Punk, Rey, Orton, Jeff, flair, HHH, HBK, they should have a golden light that says, if you win the IC championship should have a world title chance...now there are few except to the rule like Carlito for instance. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back