US Title vs IC Title

Crush1

Getting Noticed By Management
Over the couple of years which title do YOU think has produced the most superstars/succes? They are both midcard titles meant to elevate midcard wrestlers. But as of late both of these title's have been devalued and meant almost nothing to either fans or wrestlers. Can you recall the last time both of these titles were even defended on a PPV? And the fact that the IC title hasnt been on Wrestlemania for at least 4-5 years (I think) means that Vince probably doesn't care about them either. Anyway beside that fact I'm asking you the casual wrestling fan : Which title is better?

I'm gonna go with the US title. Because it had more feuds over it and was defended on PPV's something that almost never happened with the IC title. And because of the fact that the US title had more credible and better champions. Sure the IC title had more big names, but the US title at least elevated some midcarders. And MVP definitely benefited from his reign as the US title which he constantly reminded us of. But what did Jericho or any other champion do? well nothing. The only one who reminded us that he was the IC champion was a jobber...

Anyways go ahead and feel free to discuss!

I'm going to go with the U.S. Title as well. Over the past five years its been held by superstars like John Cena, Benoit, and Booker T. MVP was at his best when he was the United States Champ and had helped him tremendously. Sadly the IC Title has become somewhat forgettable. Jeff Hardy and Johnny Nitro had a good feud over it but that was about it. Smackdown's midcard has always had more depth than RAW's so maybe that's a factor.

I agree that the United States Championship has brought more success to the holders as opposed to the Intercontinental championship. Since the U.S. Title came to the WWE, you've had Eddie Guerrero, John Cena, Booker T, Bobby Lashley, and Matt Hardy all hold the title and later became World Champions. For the same amount of time, you've had Intercontinental Title holders like R.V.D., Randy Orton, Jeff Hardy, and John Morrison who would later win World Championships. If you look, the U.S. Championship has been held by more credible superstars as opposed to IC Championship.

If we're talking inthe whole history of both title then it's definately the IC title.
It launched Roddy Piper, Bret Hart, HHH, The Rock etc... back when the WWE put effort in to IC title feuds. Post attitude era it started somewhat of a decline though...

As far as the US title goes, sure it had it's credibilty in the Pre-NWO WCW. Guys like Ricky Steamboat and Sting held it and made it extremely credible. But when the NWO took over, with the way that Monday night Nitro became, the Main Eventers made the midcard title look unimportant. What was strange was giving the title to Goldberg, the one guy who definately did NOT need the title to help him along... So what the WCW guys actually thought about the US title isn't exactly clear.

But fast forward a decade or so... Oh how thee tables have turned. The US title has been quite interesting to watch over the last few years. Benoit/Booker T, Benoit/JBL and MVP/Hardy were all good feuds. The belt has been held by guys like Kennedy, the aforementioned MVP, and Shelton Benjamin, all guys who are the future of this business.

The IC title over the last few years hasn't been too hot... I still believe the title should not have been given to Santino Marella. Not as his comedy character anyway. I know he's entertaining on the mic, but that's why he should be kept as Beth's manager or whatever. I've heard so much from everyone here about how he actually can wrestle. Well I haven't seen that. And until I do, I still think he shouldn't be champion. And then there's Willie Regal. I just don't get this guy at all, and I don't get how he was supposed to bring prestige back to the title. Ok, he won the King of the Ring last year. But he also did nothing for a good 8 or so years. So I would've thought he would bring nothing to the title. And I was right. Go me.

Ok, so let's look at both titles' positions right now.
Benjamin has the US title. He's a great wrestler, but he hasn't done much. A mini-feud with R-Truth is all I can remember from his 6 month or so reign. And that's not good. MVP says he's gonna go after the US title, but I think they're just giving him something to do till Wrestlemania at which point they'll give him Money in the Bank.

The Intercontinental is now help by CM Punk. Hmm. I like Punk, I think he's one of the future main eventers in the company. But now the whole William Regal thing is over (I hope it is, anyway), what have they actually got planned for him? The only think that I would remotely be interested in is some sort of feud with Dolph Ziggler. That might seem a little random, but maybe it's what Ziggler needs right now. Maybe they could do something with the Legacy, but I assume that wouldn't be until after WM. And all other midcard heels on Raw seem to be big guys (Knox, Kane, Manu.... wait, is Manu still around?)

ok, that's about it from me...

The US title.

It seems like the Raw writers are more concerned with just their main event stars/feuds and then they draw a blank when it comes to their midcard. Been like this for a long while. They focus on having more promos between the main event people than Smackdown does and then there's no trickle-down effect, whereas Smackdown seems to be more manageable and when they only have a certain amount of time dedicated to the main event, there's a lot of free writer's time to work on the other feuds, and that trickle-down effect leads to a more established roster.

Look at the current standing. Shelton Benjamin isn't as big of a star as CM Punk, but he's somewhat close. The next level lower, I'd say. But Shelton has had some actual feuds between people that could be legitimate contenders. Shelton won it from Matt Hardy and feuded with R-Truth, Gregory Helms, and now MVP and Chavo. Meanwhile, during this time frame, we had Kofi do a decent job but it was halted by Santino making a joke out of it, and then he lost it to William Regal, a guy who has been a jobber for a hell of a long time outside of a temporary King of the Ring push - which by the way was won by defeating Hornswoggle as one of his 3 opponents, not exactly 100% credible there - and Regal does absolutely nothing with the title until he loses it to Punk. The US title has actually been defended on a regular basis with legitimate contenders while the IC title has been used as a baton to twist up in the air and then pass to someone else at a random interval.

I'm going to go with the us title if it is in the era of pro-wrestling that we are in.if it was back then in the 80's and 90's then it would be the IC.I am assuming you are reffering to this day and age of pro-wrestling.

The us title was used as a stepping stone for main eventers.the title has been held by booker t,matt hardy,bobby lashley,JBL,john cena chris benoit,eddie guerrero,kurt angle,and other whom all had one thing in common,they went on to become heavyweight champions.Right now it needs to get back to those roots to make mvp and mr.kennedy main eventers,and others.

The US Title. The last time either of the two were defended was I think at WrestleMania 22 or 23 where Benoit defended against MVP. As was mentioned, the US title has had better feuds over it and defended more at PPVs.

If you are looking at this from an all-time perspective, I think the U.S. title has had some great champions and rivalries in the past, but the IC title wins easily. It has had some of the best matches and feuds ever, and has catapulted countless guys to the main event.

But in the last few years the U.S. has been better. The biggest thing is that there have actually been several feuds for it. The IC title had a couple good matches but no memorable feuds lately. Cena, Booker, Lashley, and Matt Hardy all held it before going on to win world titles (including ECW title for discussion sake). And I think MVP is going to be the next one after he wins it back it what I am hoping will be a good program with Shelton.

The fact is that the IC title is on the premier show..and that show focuses on the main eventers wayyy too much so it doesn't get much airtime. But the U.S. title does as it's the B show in WWE and more of a proving ground.

i would say overall the i.c. tittles. more wwe champions and hof had it and it help there carerrs. with in the past 4 years the u.s. tittle has more importance.

US Title for the last few years, but currently the IC title.

Right now, you have a former world champion with the IC belt and there's several solid mid carders on Raw that he could feud with over it. Put him in feuds with Rey, Miz, Morrison, Kane. Those are all solid feuds that could put on good matches for the belt. Throw in that it's actually getting more air time and it's great.

By comparison right now the US title rarely if ever defended on television. There's almost no competition for it and the belt is just dying.

However, over the last few years it's been the US belt. Raw nearly killed the IC title with Santino's reign. It went from being the midcard title to the joke title. No one took Santino seriously and it hurt the belt. On Smackdown you had Benoit, MVP, Finlay, Kennedy and other true midcarders feuding over the title in some solid matches. I'll take midcarders over comedic jobbers with titles anyday. Both need help, but the US title has more issues currently.

Raw nearly killed the IC title with Santino's reign. It went from being the midcard title to the joke title. No one took Santino seriously and it hurt the belt.

And yet Santino's run with the Intercontinental Championship was more heavily promoted and pushed than any United States Champion since M.V.P.

Santino's run worked, whether it was a joke or not, it brought people's attention to refocus on the Intercontinental Championship. So much so, that they even brought out the "Best of" Intercontinental title around his reign. So clearly they felt even a joke of a Champion like Santino, could promote the belt being possibly meaningful to someone.. rather than a mere gold belt to go around their waste.

Whether you want to agree with it or not, Santino was in love with knowing he'd become an Intercontinental Champion. It was an accomplishment to him, more so than "just another title victory" like it was to most of the previous Champions.. who went on to do nothing with their reigns.

Santino went on to attempt breaking one of the most "historical" (*cough* joke *cough*) reigns of all time, which possibly by irony, was by a guy who won the title off being "in the right place, and the right time".

On Smackdown you had Benoit, MVP, Finlay, Kennedy and other true midcarders feuding over the title in some solid matches.

And yet more people focused and cared for seeing what Santino would do next. Who would he face in his quest to remain Champion. Who would defeat him, and end his quest. Etc, etc, etc.

I'll take midcarders over comedic jobbers with titles anyday. Both need help, but the US title has more issues currently.

Both Championships lost their luster. The United States Championship hasn't truly meant anything since it's become a W.W.E. title to begin with.. and don't ever for a moment expect it to, either. It wasn't an original W.W.E. title.. so it'll never overshadow the Intercontinental Championship.. at least not while Vince McMahon is alive and running the show.

Sure it was heavily promoted. Doesn't mean it wasn't awful. He was defending against people like Deuce. Who in the hell cares? He got over on comedy and never wrestling. With HTM, the guy that originally did this, he had a bit of in ring skill to back it up. His matches went on for awhile before he would find a way out by cheating which made it work much better. Sure it meant more to him, but that's not saying much. The title was worthless when he won it. All he did was make it an even bigger joke than it already was. Instead of being ignored, it was being made fun of.

If you go with history I would say the Intercontinental Title. I can remember some very memorable ladder matches on PPV for that belt, but currently the US title seems to elevate mid-carders more.

i think the i.c. title is better. everything that yall have said about the us title making stars applies to the ic title as well.

US- Eddie, Cena, Booker, Benoit, Lashley, Carlito, Bejamin, etc.

But look at who the IC title has been held by in the past few years.

IC- Orton, Batista, Punk, Kingston, Edge, Christian, Benjamin, Regal, RVD, Jeff Hardy, Umaga, Nitro, Santino Marella (he'll get there someday), Carlito, even Ric Flair in 2005/2006.

So it's a tough decision. They sure defend the IC Title more often. and to Argue against Hbk96rko09, the US Title wasn't defended at WM21.
20- Big Show (c) vs. Cena
22- Benoit (c) vs. JBL
23- Benoit (c) vs. MVP
And those matches usually started off the show.

I was just thinking about some ways for WWE to make things real interesting with the IC title and US title. IMO, the IC title is more important but as of late the US title has probably shined a lot brighter. However, I think both are great Midcard titles. The idea I had was that they start defending them at alternating PPVs. Also, take both Heavyweight championships and spread them out the same way. The ECW title they can do whatever they want with cuz I don't think many people truly care about it. But I would defend the IC/US title every other PPV with both on the line at the big 4 PPVs.

So with HHD saying the past few years, I shall just look at the past few years. The point I shall take is September 2004 when the IC belt returned after it was vactaed due to an injury on Edge. Here is a list of the champions in that time. I have placed in BOLD those who have then gone on to win either the WWE/ECW/WHC after this, those in italics have won one before hand.

Jericho
Benjamin
Carlito
Flair
RVD
Morrison
Jeff Hardy

Umaga
Marella
Kofi Kingston
William Regal
CM Punk

Booker T
Cena
Carlito
Benoit
JBL

Lashley
Finlay
Kennedy
MVP
Matt Hardy
Benjamin

In that time the IC belt has had 12 different champions, with the US belt having 11. Obviously the reigns are more than that, but you get the point. Both have had four of that list go on to win the championship of their prospective brands, both have had two former champions hold the belt. If you look at the numbers, then I would say it's fairly equal in propelling superstars to the Main Event.

Id say, as of current, the US title, with the IC title coming up close in the rearveiw mirror.

For years, the US title has been worn by future champs, and the hottest mid carders, while the IC title has sorta been just passed around, to seemingly pass time for some guys. The US title has been far more readily defended in high profile situations and on wrestlers (remember, im talking the last 3 years or so, cumilatively). We had many a former heavyweight champ feuding over it, and the future of the buisness wearing it. MVP, Matt Hardy, Bobby Lashley, JBL, Chris Benoit, Finlay, and once upon a time, John Cena, all held, and feuded over the belt. The IC title has been merely given to Morrison, Hardy, Jericho, and others, to seemingly just hold, and not really fight over. A lot of those guys didnt even carry the belt WITH them to matches or promos.

The IC title has recently picked up steam, with the angle of Santino, Kofi Kingston winning it, and the IC title tournament, but thats not nearly enough to surpass the US title at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back