• Anchorman

• Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

• Austin Powers

• Old School

• Zoolander

Results are only viewable after voting.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
My thread on Will Smith's best film [LINK] turned out predictably, but with a few great films coming close. After the Talledaga Nights discussion in my bar room thread, I figured it was only fair to put Will Ferrell in the spotlight this time around. I think the voting is going to be a lot closer here, with fans spread pretty evenly across his whole collection of films.

As per usual, if you don't see a film listed, feel free to bring it up in a comment of your own. I'm going to list the films I think are credible, and that I think most people will want to vote on. It is understandable that your tastes might be different, and thus it is a thread for discussion and not just me talking about movies, but I'm going to try and represent the majority. Ferrell did a LOT of terrible films before and during his run with SNL, done of which will be included.

Austin Powers IMOM & SWSM
I'm not a big fan of the Austin Powers series, but a lot of people are, obviously. Ferrell's role as Mustafa, the fez wearing henchmen of Dr. Evil is pretty classic.
[YOUTUBE]jxZQL_Is0mE[/YOUTUBE]

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Will Ferrell as the Wildlife Marshal is one of the highlights of this movie, for sure.
[YOUTUBE]5oWL8xlEM58[/YOUTUBE]

Zoolander
I just watched this the other day, and while Ferrell isn't exactly the main character of the film, he is one of the best reasons to watch it.
[YOUTUBE]fvwp&NR[/YOUTUBE]

Old School
I have still never seen this movie, but here's a random clip from it...
[YOUTUBE]k7SuY3T_U6c[/YOUTUBE]

Elf
One of my favorite family films, and because of Will Ferrell it's probably just as enjoyable for adults as it is for the kids. I've probably seen this movie more times than any other Will Ferrell movie, save for Anchorman.
[YOUTUBE]MZQ0gjHssCc[/YOUTUBE]

Anchorman
I have a hunch this might win. Maybe. Just a little bit. It is not only arguably Will Ferrell's best film, but it's also one of the all-time greatest comedies. And here's one of my favorite scenes from any film, ever:
[YOUTUBE]_c_ufaxeSTs[/YOUTUBE]

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
I was just recently forced against my will by some brothers from the Bar Room, to watch this film again. Absolutely loved it.
[YOUTUBE]vuAUI_0knfk[/YOUTUBE]

Stranger Than Fiction
Will Farrell's first lead role in a really great, serious film, and he knocked it out of the park. I love this movie; it's so damn interesting and the plot so completely unique. Dustin Hoffman is also one of my favorite actors, so that doesn't hurt.
[YOUTUBE]EBRlxs0q2QY[/YOUTUBE]

Blades of Glory
Probably my least favorite of the popular Will Ferrell films. I've seen it a few times, and unlike Talladega Nights I never grew to appreciate it. I just dont' see why people think it's a funny movie, outside a few random clips here and there.
[YOUTUBE]MQZES2Vkcws[/YOUTUBE]

Step Brothers
Much like Talladega Nights, I did not like Step Brothers the first time I saw it. But it grows on you, and I now have a love for John C. Reilly.
[YOUTUBE]19gIKqUqPxc[/YOUTUBE]

The Other Guys
I saw this movie because of Sam Jackson and The Rock. And then...well, I dont' want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but...basically, I came for those two but stayed for Will Ferrell and Marky Mark.
[YOUTUBE]s4wykeJBHdE[/YOUTUBE]

Megamind
Every comedian should do a quality animated film in their lifetime. Steve Carrell did Despicable Me. Adam Sandler has Hotel Transylvania later this year that I'm excited about. Will Ferrell had Megamind.
[YOUTUBE]B4E3_2E0Qaw[/YOUTUBE]

The Campaign
I haven't seen it yet. Those who have, feel free to vote accordingly.
[YOUTUBE]k7yC0iiK7a4[/YOUTUBE]

Voted for Blades of Glory.

Not seen all the films but to me once you have seen Anchorman and Step Brothers a few times, it becomes boring and the fact that everyone quotes them on nights out in the pub is pretty annoying.

I think that Blades of Glory is an underrated film and is loaded with comedic scenes from both Ferrell and his supporting cast.... Blades of Glory gets my vote.

Talladega Nights, and it isn't even close.
Nothing compares to it- it was undeniably hilarious, and there isn't a single scene I hated... okay, except Will Ferrell's makeout with French boy.
But seriously, Ferrell/Reilly combo is great, and in this movie, it was even better.
Best scene below:

I'm going with Stranger Than Fiction.

Serious Will Ferrell can be just as entertaining as whacky Will Ferrell. Ferrell takes a more restrained and subtle approach towards the Harold character, and he really delivers a fantastic performance in this film. You won't see any of Ferrell's over the top antics, and you won't hear any outrageous and silly jokes, but the humor is still enjoyable. The story is unique, and Stranger Than Fiction's premise is something to admire.

It's not on the poll, but Everything Must Go would be a close second for me. Ferrell plays a hopeless and depressed alcoholic. He loses everything, but over time, Ferrell forms an unlikely bond with Rebecca Hall's character. This film features a few funny moments, but overall, Everything Must Go is a sad and touching story of an alcoholic, who's trying to get back on his feet.

I love Talladega Nights. It's hilarious from start to finish, but that film falls into the same category as all the other whacky and over the top Ferrell comedies. I've seen the same type of formula in Semi-Pro and Blades Of Glory, and that's why I'm passing on Ricky Bobby.

I don't know if anyone will care about these, but here's the box office numbers for the films Ferrell played the leading role. I'm not sure it's fair to compare numbers for Zoolander or Austin Powers, as Ferrell didn't really contribute too hard to drawing those ratings. I think it's pretty clear Megamind is the biggest commercial success, although when you factor in budget Elf comes pretty damn close. Stranger Than Fiction was the biggest critical success, but a box office disaster. Take it for what it's worth.

Megamind
Budget: 130m
Opening weekend: 46m
Gross: 322m since 2010
IMDb score: 7.3

The Other Guys
B: 100m
OW: 35.5m
G: 119m since 2010
IMDb: 6.6

Step Brothers
B: 65m
OW: 31m
G: 100m since 2008
IMDB: 6.7

Blades of Glory
B: 61m
OW: 33m
G: 118m since 2007
IMDB: 6.4

Talladega Nights
B: 73m
OW: 47m
G: 148m since 2006
IMDB: 6.4

Stranger Than Fiction
B: 38m
OW: 13.5m
G: 40m since 2006
IMDB: 7.7

Anchorman
B: 26m
OW: 28m
G: 84m since 2004
IMDB: 7.2

Elf
B: 33m
OW: 31m
G: 220.5m since 2003
IMDB: 6.8

Old School
B: 24m
OW: 17.5m
G: 87m
IMDB: 7.1

Anchorman. Definately.

I enjoy alot of his stuff, but find myself quoting more from Anchorman. I have re-watched that more than his other movies. Tons of great moments.

I think that he is one of those guys you dont necessarily have to center the movie around though. He can play a bit part and be just as memorable as he has been in starring roles. Its kinda that way for me with Christopher Walken also. They both just have that quality about them and their presence can add an extra element to the movie. Put them in the same scene and you got yourself some golden moments waiting to happen. Remember the Cow Bell skit from SNL? Classic.

I'm going with Stranger Than Fiction.

Serious Will Ferrell can be just as entertaining as whacky Will Ferrell. Ferrell takes a more restrained and subtle approach towards the Harold character, and he really delivers a fantastic performance in this film. You won't see any of Ferrell's over the top antics, and you won't hear any outrageous and silly jokes, but the humor is still enjoyable. The story is unique, and Stranger Than Fiction's premise is something to admire.

It's not on the poll, but Everything Must Go would be a close second for me. Ferrell plays a hopeless and depressed alcoholic. He loses everything, but over time, Ferrell forms an unlikely bond with Rebecca Hall's character. This film features a few funny moments, but overall, Everything Must Go is a sad and touching story of an alcoholic, who's trying to get back on his feet.

I love Talladega Nights. It's hilarious from start to finish, but that film falls into the same category as all the other whacky and over the top Ferrell comedies. I've seen the same type of formula in Semi-Pro and Blades Of Glory, and that's why I'm passing on Ricky Bobby.

This right here. I loved Stranger than Fiction, and to be honest I liked the toned down version of Ferrell better than the over the top one. Everything Must Go was a great movie to. It's just my personal opinion, but when I here the name Will Ferrell I think of Stranger Than Fiction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back