Video Game Sounds That Freak You Out

Sean Valjean

Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love
I was inspired by the Video Game music thread but decided to make this list seperate since it's so different. This is a list of sounds you've heard in games that make your heart skip a beat. Even now as an adult you're startled at the these sounds because you've been conditioned to react with fear or urgency. Here's a list of sounds that do that and feel free to add your own. With any luck, this can become the official nervous breakdown thread. So here we go:

FATALITY (Mortal Kombat II)

[YOUTUBE]Fn1CLQ6B7qE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Out of all the Fatality sounds, this one is still the darkest and most impactful, like the Fatality itself. There was nothing like getting beat by the CPU and then out of nowhere this terrifying sound hits, the screen goes black and you have about 79 ribcages exploding on your screen. Hell, even now this sound still freaks me out a little.

"!" AKA The You Suck At Stealth Alert (Metal Gear Solid series)

[YOUTUBE]ThIBvsml_us[/YOUTUBE]

Nothing sends a jolt through your nervous system like this bad boy. Not only does it inform you of your discovery by the enemy, but is also the sound of your ego shrinking because you are not, in fact, quite the master of stealth you thought you were.

Hey, Time is Running Out! (Super Mario Bros.)

[YOUTUBE]32vz1GKS1TE[/YOUTUBE]

Nothing like wasting precious time trying to reach that warp pipe only to be alerted that you better get your ass in gear if you wish to live. So you'll recklessly dash and jump over every danger just to reach the end of the level in time. And probably fall into a pit in the process.

The Rubber Ducky of Doom (Parappa the Rapper)

[YOUTUBE]b-uEbNjSzq8[/YOUTUBE]

Parappa the Rapper was one of the first rhythm games I can ever remember playing. Button icons would fly down and you'd have to hit them perfectly to the beat of some catchy music. Cool game, but I sucked at it as a kid. Whenever you started performing poorly, the music would begin to distort itself and this noise that sounds like a rubber duck being squeezed starts playing indicating that failure is near. This always made me panic, causing me to fumble my notes even more in a desperate attempt to save my pitiful performance.

The Regenerator (Resident Evil 4)

[YOUTUBE]LUKGRzzdUgs&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Many people accuse Resident Evil 4 of abandoning it's survival horror roots in favor of a less chilling, action-oriented style. The Regenerators think otherwise. These terrifying enemies were the scariest part of th game for me and a big reason for that was their incredibly creepy breathing sound. Nothing stopped me in my traps like hearing that sound in a dark halllway and I always remember hiding in vain hoping one wouldn't find me.

Sonic is Drowning! (Sonic the Hedgehog)

[YOUTUBE]9Yw5jkAHgME[/YOUTUBE]

The scariest sound I've ever heard in a game, bar none. If panic had a sound this would be it. This music is the horror of my childhood. I hate entering the water in Sonic games because of this sound. Nothing is more terrifying than going too long without an air bubble and hearing an otherwise awesome track of music abruptly cut off by Satan's personal jingle. You panic, scrambling for the nearest batch of bubbles only to be teased with a few measly ones as the countdown to your doom flashes on screen. If I was a lifeguard, I would play this track whenever I needed to quickly get everyone out of the water because it's that effective.

I've replayed Sonic games more times than any other series ever and this sound has been permanently programmed into my brain as a sign for alarm. I've actually considered making this my morning alarm but I'm afraid I'll wake up screaming every morning.

Another interesting thread, Sean. I get to post first AGAIN! lol..

Here's my list of freaky game sound bytes:

[YOUTUBE]OwFqShcxaQ0[/YOUTUBE]

This is the infamous Silent Hill siren. It plays when the town of Silent Hill transforms into a nightmarish, decaying hell, that is home to the terrifying creatures in the game.

This is what scared me while I played Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. Just the sounds that come out of Nemesis is scary. Of course, his size and merciless pursuit against you is scarier.

Also, the "Shibito" from the Siren games also freak me out with their vocal sounds.

Oh dear God this. Whenever i played any Silnt Hill game and the siren went off I shat myself. My worst experience of this is when you think you've gotten past this place of hell and then you suddenly hear the siren and the place becomes worse! This is most evident for me in Midwich Elementary School. The school was filled with these weird midget things(Grey children i believe their called) and dark set up but then the siren goes off and the school becomes tenfold worse and harder.

[YOUTUBE]zxbB9K9TjTo[/YOUTUBE]

The midwife's clinking noise and the "here I come" from System Shock 2 also scared the crap out of me. I found the overall look of them to be terrifying and they were rather difficult to kill the first time around.

Also an honourable mention goes towards the weird white noise sound that plays in Silent Hill 4 whenever a ghost enemy is nearby & the hiss from the creepers in Minecraft.

Great thread man, you deserve a rep for this.

The Metal Gear Solid Alert sound always made me jump and just freak out.

[YOUTUBE]uR7ZqCYNXYQ[/YOUTUBE]

I'd have to say this is the ultimate scary song of video games for me. Everytime I heard this, scared the bejeezus out of me but at the same time it sounds epic.

[YOUTUBE]uPzRI555Uwo[/YOUTUBE]

Another scary masterpiece, that actually made me want to switch off the game everytime I heard this intro, pretty intimidating. But now that I'm older, it's pretty good to listen to and I can rock out to it just a little bit. Also when you are playing the game and walking around with the gun, shooting the aliens, the sound that plays in the background is also pretty intimidating too.

[YOUTUBE]OhuIU3qV7Nw[/YOUTUBE]

This would actually make me jump out of my seat sometimes. You don't expect it but when you finally hear the loud pitched sound at the end, it's like wow but it's pretty cool. There's actually a lot more songs in MK Trilogy which is pretty scary like all the songs that play in each characters stage and the character select music.

[YOUTUBE]ekqYhP8PhMg[/YOUTUBE]

This isn't a scary sound I know but everytime I would hear the intro, it would pump me up for whatever game I was about to play. It was a classic sound to hear and makes me miss having my PS1, good times, good times. I actually want my PS1 just for this sound alone.

[YOUTUBE]ZVA217shUHo[/YOUTUBE]

Again, it's not a scary sound but damn this was so epic to listen. It would get your heart pumping everytime you listen to this but could also make you get off your seat and dance as it was just a beauty to listen to.

[YOUTUBE]aphvPIUHVXE[/YOUTUBE]

This one was pretty freaky as it's another that would get your heart pumping fast as you try to shoot the aliens.

Sonic is Drowning! (Sonic the Hedgehog)

This. It made the underwater levels in Sonic games downright evil. Labyrinth Zone and Scrap Brain Zones were the source of so much frustration. If I was doing well and suddenly had to backtrack to find some air bubbles, it would completely screw things up. To this day I still become stressed out if I hear this sound because it ruined some otherwise fun stages and never succeeded to get on my nerves.

Another that deserves mentioning is the sound of the blue shell in Mario Kart. I'm almost always in first, even against human players, so the sound of those blue shells quickly turns my smile upside down for a moment.

Here's the Nemesis sound byte that I was talking about. Idk why the siren repeated...

[YOUTUBE]M_UsXHMK0Gc[/YOUTUBE]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back