WCW Region, Boston Subregion, First Round: (5) Mick Foley vs. (28) Giant Haystacks

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Mick Foley

• Giant Haystacks

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Boston Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at TD Garden Arena in Boston, Massachusetts.

td-garden-10.jpeg

mickfoley01.jpg

#5. Mick Foley

Vs.

07.jpg

#28. Giant Haystacks

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Mick Foley is kind of a shrunk down version of the Giant.

I'm not really sure what criteria to use to score this match. I've seen a decent amount of Haystacks Calhoun, and he moved about as well as you'd expect of a man his size. Mick Foley is no dynamo, but he'd be faster. Foley is not known for his strength and so you'd imagine Haystacks would be able to do some damage when he got hold of him.

But Mick Foley has not only survived some of the most crippling visuals ever depicted in wrestling history, he's openly welcomed 20 foot drops, explosions, thumbtacks, chair shots to the head, fire, and so on. Short of sitting on Foley's head until it pops, I don't think there's much Haystacks can do to keep Foley down, and man once renound for not saying the words 'I quit'. A man that once choked himself out to prevent being beaten by submission.

He has the better legacy besides. His first world title win, at the behest of an army of passionate fan support, started the run of RAW beating NITRO in the TV ratins which saw WCW die in little more than 2 years after. That's historical significance. In fact, his winning of the WWF title persuaded a whole massive portion of the WCW audience to change the channel to watch when it was intended to do the opposite. Basically, he draws, or drew, whatever.

In short, Foley wins here. Probably by Mandible Claw.

If there's something that Foley was prepared to do, it was lose. Now normally, being British and defending these guys of the past I would defend Giant Haystacks. But I'm not sure I see it here. When Giant Haystacks died in the late 90s it was front page news. However, Foley is in my opinion sufficiently big enough in America for that transcending popularity to fall by the wayside. I think Foley would take a pasting, but would ultimately probably win here.

Foley has pretty much the perfect maneuver to put down someone like Haystacks in the Mandible Claw. Can be struck from anywhere and should be enough. I'd be more pro-Haystacks if Daddy wasn't already in this region. Having both of them progress seems like overkill and Daddy is a lock against Liger. As much as I think it'd be hilarious to have Haystacks/Daddy in the WCW final, I'm with Mrs Foley's boy on mothers day.

Foley has pretty much the perfect maneuver to put down someone like Haystacks in the Mandible Claw. Can be struck from anywhere and should be enough.

Good enough for me. Giant Haystacks was Loch Ness, right? Yeah, I didn't see anything special about him. Seemed like a guy that was all size and no skill. I'll take Foley.

I think Haystacks being 650 pounds and still being mobile was skill enough. Mick Foley is going to win though. And it's purely justified. It's hard not to watch him win his first title and not smile. Like Shawn, Mick was the boyhood dream personified. But unlike Shawn he fit the stereotypical mold of a champion even less. He was a fat charismatic slob in a mask.

I may vote Haystacks just to throw him a bone.

I like the idea of Foley taking out Haystacks with the Mandible Claw. Foley could take anything the big man could throw at him, and he goes on to the next round.

Good enough for me. Giant Haystacks was Loch Ness, right? Yeah, I didn't see anything special about him. Seemed like a guy that was all size and no skill. I'll take Foley.

I'm voting for Foley too but Haystacks as Loch Ness was the very tail end of his career. A good 15 years after his prime, he had died within 2 years. THough he was part of DOD which stopped Hogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back