WCW Region, Chicago Subregion, Second Round: (3) Randy Savage vs. (14) Jeff Hardy

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Randy Savage

• Jeff Hardy

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the WCW Region, Chicago Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois.

united-center-feature1.jpg

Randy+Savage.jpg

#3. Randy Savage

Vs.

220px-Jeffhardyauto.jpg

#14. Jeff Hardy

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

The Jeff Hardy run ends here. Thank God.

Savage is just plain better than Hardy in every facet of pro wrestling. Drawing power, promos, title reigns, beating better competition are just a few of the categories.

I'm glad I don't have to state a legit case for Hardy to lose here. You guys simply know to vote Savage over Jeff.

Vote Macho Man. DIG IT?!

People sleep on Jeff Hardy. If you ask me, the guy is one of the greatest babyfaces in WWE history. Seriously, a top 10 babyface.

Of course though, Randy Savage is an all-out great period.

Both guys sort of hurt their legacies by leaving WWE and going on to do mediocre work in other companies (Jeff in TNA, Savage in WCW). But both of their time in WWE was special and I'd say equal in all around accomplishments.

So, legacy wise... I can't make an argument for either guy. I know plenty will say that's nuts because the obvious answer is Savage, but that's not really the case. Jeff was apart of one of the greatest tag teams ever, is apart of some of the biggest highlights that has ever aired in WWE, and has had multiple runs as WWE and World Champion. You'd probably say Jeff's never been "the" guy, but neither was Savage. Yeah, Savage had a year long WWF Title reign, but it was overshadowed by Hogan the entire time and everyone knows this. Savage didn't headline one pay-per-view without Hogan playing a big part in the main event as well.

With all that said, it comes down to the match itself for me, and man... what a fucking match this would be. Both guys could withstand unbelievable punishment, both had tremendous heart, and both had a unique offense that gave them an edge over most of their opponents.

It's a really, really close match. Unfortunately, Savage will win in a landslide within the voting, which is why I'm just going to give Jeff a vote, but in my book this is as even as it gets.

People sleep on Jeff Hardy. If you ask me, the guy is one of the greatest babyfaces in WWE history. Seriously, a top 10 babyface.

I can't agree with this at all. No offense, obviously, but that's a bold, BOLD statement.

Of course though, Randy Savage is an all-out great period.

There you go.

Both guys sort of hurt their legacies by leaving WWE and going on to do mediocre work in other companies (Jeff in TNA, Savage in WCW). But both of their time in WWE was special and I'd say equal in all around accomplishments.

Belts wise? Possibly. Legacy wise? No way Jeff's on par with Savage. Savage was apart of an era that included all time greats like Andre, Hogan, Warrior, etc and he ended up having a year long title reign in that era, and even beat Flair for the WWE title at Wrestlemania, on ONE LEG.

Other than some high spots and botches, I don't remember any signature matches besides his bouts with CM Punk, which were underwhelming, IMO. Jeff was over, but being over and being a headliner and drawing money is two different things. Savage drew houses as IC champion and WWE champion.

So, legacy wise... I can't make an argument for either guy. I know plenty will say that's nuts because the obvious answer is Savage, but that's not really the case.

It is though.

Jeff was apart of one of the greatest tag teams ever, is apart of some of the biggest highlights that has ever aired in WWE, and has had multiple runs as WWE and World Champion.

In an era where a belt was passed around like a drunk sorority girl at a frat house. Savage won his belts when title changes were earth shattering.

You'd probably say Jeff's never been "the" guy, but neither was Savage.

Agreed. Hogan was the primary focus, just as Cena and Edge were the center of attention during Jeff's runs.

Yeah, Savage had a year long WWF Title reign, but it was overshadowed by Hogan the entire time and everyone knows this. Savage didn't headline one pay-per-view without Hogan playing a big part in the main event as well.

Agreed, but he still had the belt and still defended it as a main eventer. The Mega Powers were formed out of it, too. There's a method to the madness, (no pun intended). Hardy just wasn't trusted to be a top guy. Savage was.

With all that said, it comes down to the match itself for me, and man... what a fucking match this would be. Both guys could withstand unbelievable punishment, both had tremendous heart, and both had a unique offense that gave them an edge over most of their opponents.

Savage was aggressive in the ring and took few high risks. Jeff was the ultimate gambler in the ring and most of the time, it cost him the match. That being said, it'd be a helluva match... mainly because Savage would bring it out of him.

It's a really, really close match. Unfortunately, Savage will win in a landslide within the voting, which is why I'm just going to give Jeff a vote, but in my book this is as even as it gets.

I could see the match being close for a few, but after Savage catches Jeff making a mistake, it'd be curtains for the Enigma.

Don't disregard what jmt said just because you dislike Jeff Hardy personally. Jeff had a hot, fierce final run in WWE, which has to be considered his prime. While it didn't last long, he was a big deal.

Does he beat Savage? No. Savage vs. Hardy, in each man's prime, would've been fantastic.

But Savage wins, obviously.

Don't disregard what jmt said just because you dislike Jeff Hardy personally. Jeff had a hot, fierce final run in WWE, which has to be considered his prime. While it didn't last long, he was a big deal.

Does he beat Savage? No. Savage vs. Hardy, in each man's prime, would've been fantastic.

But Savage wins, obviously.

I'm not.

Sure I can't stand Meth Hardy because he got over by being a spot monkey, but there's no comparison to him and Savage. I don't have to use personal feelings to make a case for Savage here.

This would have been a great match. A fast pace match with some aerial moves mixed in would have been fun to watch but Hardy is simply overmatched here. I'm sure he could hold his own for a little while against Savage but he doesn't have the killer instinct that Savage does. Savage is better anyway but throw in his aggressiveness and he undoubtedly moves on to the next round.

I'm not.

Sure I can't stand Meth Hardy because he got over by being a spot monkey, but there's no comparison to him and Savage. I don't have to use personal feelings to make a case for Savage here.

1. That had nothing to do with your post. If it had, I would've quoted you.

2. The comparison would be both being red hot babyfaces, which they were. Both, at one time, played 1B to Hogan/Cena's 1A.

Savage is better, but it would be a battle.

1. That had nothing to do with your post. If it had, I would've quoted you.

2. The comparison would be both being red hot babyfaces, which they were. Both, at one time, played 1B to Hogan/Cena's 1A.

Savage is better, but it would be a battle.

Hardy was red hot for a few months, maybe even a year... Savage maintained his status for the better part of two decades.

Just on longevity alone, Savage would win this. And I do agree the match would be exciting, but it would end with a Macho Man victory.

We shouldn't go nuts with Savage's babyface runs. He got over as one half of the Mega Powers and won the title so he could turn back heel less than a year later and drop the belt back to Hogan. His other big run came as the first WWF championship match to not close WrestleMania (Hogan was at least in the main event at WM1).

Unfortunately, Savage wasn't quite the babyface in WWF some want to remember him as. Was he still bigger and better than Hardy? Yes.

This would be a great great match, but Savage is just plain better in every aspect of wrestling. Hardy had a great run, and I am not sure why anyone would hate him, but Savage just plain wins this match. I don't think it would be easy, but savage moves to the next round.

I know people have made up their minds but I'll just say my piece anyway.

Randy Savage and Jeff Hardy were both the number 2 guys when they were in WWE.

However Savage never beat Hogan (the number 1 face) clean. Hardy managed to beat Triple H clean who was arguably the number 1 on Smackdown (who was also WWE champion) and I think he beat John Cena clean for a #1 contender match (I think) Top that off with Hardy carried Smackdown during 2009 up to when he left and was so over when CM Punk came out dressed as him the week after he left Punk was met with absolute venom.

Now I know Savage was a different era but he never managed to get out of Hogan's shadow. Hardy arguably was on equal footing with John Cena right up until he left. That in itself is an achievement.

Also we're in WCW where Savage really wasn't that big of a deal. Yeah he may have won the world title but if you were to name 5 WCW world title reigns Savage wouldn't be one of them.

Now while he hasn't been as big a deal in TNA as he was in WWE, Hardy's world title reigns have been more of a deal in TNA than Savage's were in WCW. First off he turned heel to get his first reign (a shocking moment for probably the most over face of the company) and his win at Bound For Glory 2012 capped off his redemption for the personal problems he'd been having.

This would certainly be a great match but in the region we're in I'd be more inclined to give it to Hardy personally.

I know most people are going to vote Savage regardless but still.

However Savage never beat Hogan (the number 1 face) clean. Hardy managed to beat Triple H clean who was arguably the number 1 on Smackdown (who was also WWE champion) and I think he beat John Cena clean for a #1 contender match (I think) Top that off with Hardy carried Smackdown during 2009 up to when he left and was so over when CM Punk came out dressed as him the week after he left Punk was met with absolute venom.

Now I know Savage was a different era but he never managed to get out of Hogan's shadow. Hardy arguably was on equal footing with John Cena right up until he left. That in itself is an achievement.

Jeff Hardy was never on equal footing with Cena and he also never beat Cena. By the time Hardy got a couple victories over Triple H, he wasn't beating the Triple H that was arguably the number one or two guy in the WWE. Both Cena and Batista had already passed him at that point.

Also we're in WCW where Savage really wasn't that big of a deal. Yeah he may have won the world title but if you were to name 5 WCW world title reigns Savage wouldn't be one of them.

Now while he hasn't been as big a deal in TNA as he was in WWE, Hardy's world title reigns have been more of a deal in TNA than Savage's were in WCW. First off he turned heel to get his first reign (a shocking moment for probably the most over face of the company) and his win at Bound For Glory 2012 capped off his redemption for the personal problems he'd been having.

WCW even at its lowest point was better then TNA even at its highest point. Savage was a 4 time WCW champion and had some major moments with company. Hardy went from superstar to absolute embarrassing drug addict in TNA.

The region is irrelevant in this match because Savage really is THAT MUCH better then Hardy in every facet you can think of.

Jeff Hardy was over despite himself. He was awful on the mic, and a liability out of the ring, but somehow he was immensely popular. However, I don't think it is a stretch to say that he had very little on Savage in terms of the tangible measurable wrestling traits. This would be a good match, and Hardy would certainly have the crowd with him at times, but he just isn't as good as Randy Savage.

You could make the argument that Hardy is Randy Savage lite. He was super over, but was always playing second fiddle to someone else. The difference is that for a brief time, Savage did get to be the guy. Hardy never did. Plus, Savage was just plain better.

You could make the argument that Hardy is Randy Savage lite. He was super over, but was always playing second fiddle to someone else. The difference is that for a brief time, Savage did get to be the guy. Hardy never did. Plus, Savage was just plain better.

I'd argue CM Punk was like Savage but that's a different discussion.

Hardy was the guy on Smackdown at the end of 2008/09 though . People loved him right up till he left. And in TNA he was also the guy(albeit briefly) during his heel run. I know being the top guy of a brand is not the same as the entire company but better to be king of an island than a servant to a nation

WCW even at its lowest point was better then TNA even at its highest point. Savage was a 4 time WCW champion and had some major moments with company. Hardy went from superstar to absolute embarrassing drug addict in TNA.

Yet nobody can really name a Savage moment in WCW off the top of their head. He had the credentials yes, but he didn't do anything memorable. He was like 90s Motley Crue in WCW

The region is irrelevant in this match because Savage really is THAT MUCH better then Hardy in every facet you can think of.

Well if that's the case we may as well give it to Hogan or Austin if the region doesn't matter.

I'd argue CM Punk was like Savage but that's a different discussion.

Hardy was the guy on Smackdown at the end of 2008/09 though . People loved him right up till he left. And in TNA he was also the guy(albeit briefly) during his heel run. I know being the top guy of a brand is not the same as the entire company but better to be king of an island than a servant to a nation

Jack Swagger was also briefly the guy on SmackDown and Eric Young is currently the guy in TNA. That's not saying much.

Not when that nation is a first world country, and that island is a third world rufugee camp for terrorists.

Yet nobody can really name a Savage moment in WCW off the top of their head. He had the credentials yes, but he didn't do anything memorable. He was like 90s Motley Crue in WCW

Dude, whether you like it or not, this is the moment wrestling fans remember about Jeff Hardy in TNA.

[YOUTUBE]2V6ulxTRSDc[/YOUTUBE]

I'm going to go on the limb of saying nothing Savage did was this bad

Well if that's the case we may as well give it to Hogan or Austin if the region doesn't matter.

Pretty sure that's what not what Thriller said. What he said was that when the talent margin is this wide (and it is), then regions don't help much.

There's still that Jeff Hardy audience waiting to be won over by NXT's Corey Graves. You know, that whole grungy... hipster... alternative audience. That one I don't understand, full of twenty-somethings waiting to sleep with my girlfriend and/or waiting to not be my girlfriend. I've no idea if it's lucrative but I'm sure it's there, just waiting to be tapped.

I like Jeff Hardy despite myself. He is kind of a piece of shit but this is professional wrestling and, in professional wrestling, there's a huge amount of pieces of shit. Reportedly. It's a human sewer. Allegedly. Hardy was a genuinely good wrestler, as evidenced by the genuinely good matches he had. Unfortunately, he was only good in fits and starts. He didn't/doesn't really have much in the way of talking skills and he was/is a drug addict. A shame really.

Randy Savage obviously wins; I'd just thought I'd give Jeff his due.

Winning World War 3 to become the WCW champion.

The region can matter but if one guy is so much better then the other it isn't enough to sway the vote. Besides the region advantage clearly goes to Savage as he was a main event guy in WCW and Hardy was never in WCW. The region is just another advantage for Savage.

I grew up as a huge Hardy Boyz fan and to this day I'd rather watch Jeff Hardy matches than a Randy Savage match, and while I admit that Savage is a better wrestler, has a far greater legacy, was a bigger star and would almost certainly win this match, I am still going to vote for Hardy.

Yeah, he embarrased himself in TNA but for all the enjoyment I got as a young teen watching this guy with rainbow coloured hair throw himself off the top of cages, jump off ladders and how great it was to see him finally win the World Title in WWE, he's going to get my vote.

For everyone else who didn't love the Hardy Boyz, then vote Savage (as it is the right answer), but I'm giving a vote to Jeff. It's not like he's going to win anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back