What will happen to the US Championship after Summerslam?

Prince Vee

Better than I think I am
There's a speculation about the WWE World Heavyweight Championship and the United States Championship. Who's gonna take them both at the end of Summerslam? Will it be the record breaking John "Superman" Cena becomes the 16 time World Champion? Or Seth Rollins becomes the first Champion to hold both WWE World Heavyweight and US title?

I don't mind either of it. But I would personally want the match to end up in No contest and develop the feud to the next PPV. At the moment, WWE lacks top stars who can hold the Big Title with Brock feuding with the Undertaker and Dean Ambrose has been out of the radar.

But I will love to see Seth Rollins winning the title and disrespect it as his title, the WWE World Heavyweight is the best. Then either he can vacate the US title to let some other grab it or he can start his own version of US Open Challenge.

Seth Rollins is the inevitable future of the WWE. They should find some way to build his character more and let the fans treat him as the greatest heel. He got the potential and his character is going in the right way but with still some tweaks we can see a potential hero/villain who can carry the WWE safely to the future.

What are your opinions on this? Feel free to spread out your words.

Cheers!!

If Rollins wins the United States Championship, I'd like to see him hold it for a little bit. After all, he'd be the first to hold both the WWE and US Championships simultaneously, so I'm of the opinion he needs to tout it and brag about it for a little while. I could see him keeping it for maybe a month, possibly long enough to retain the title somehow in a rematch with Cena at Night of Champions before vacating the title that results in a tournament.

IF the title is to be declared vacant for a tournament, I'd like to see WWE have a long term tournament that lasts a couple of months rather than a week or two. Do something like a BFG Series sort of thing with so many points given for a pin or submission win and leave out any points for wins via DQ or count out as a way of cutting down on cheap finishes, possibly giving the matches more of a "must see" sort of feel. I'd have one cheap finish through the whole thing with the intention of garnering some real heat for the heel who cheats to win. For instance, these two are jockeying for the remaining final spot and are very close in point standings with the heel being slightly ahead; the heel is on the verge of losing and uses the stipulations of the no DQ/count outs to his advantage by purposely delivering a low blow in front of the ref. The face wins the match via DQ, but there are no points awarded to him, hence the heel moves onto the finals by strategically exploiting a bit of a loophole. When the two finalists have been named, build the match up over the coming weeks as a TLC match for the vacant WWE United States Championship at the TLC ppv.

Of course, in the unlikely event WWE did go this route, I think it'd be important to go into it with the intention of building up some stars as well, book the tournament so that every participant's stock goes up instead of using 90% of them as simply bodies needed to fill up a space.

If John Cena wins, I could see him honestly keeping both titles for a while as he's touted how important the US title is. I wouldn't doubt that there'd be a few times in which Cena defends both titles in separate matches on the same night; Cena taking on all comers regardless of the odds and keeping both titles as separate entities just sounds like something he'd do. Eventually, the pace and responsibility of carrying two championships is too much for Cena, fatigue is wearing him down and it ultimately results in him losing the title during one of the open challenge matches.

Regardless, I don't see the title going back to irrelevance as too much work has been put in. Cena's had too many memorable matches as champion, he's constantly harped on the title's importance and he's ultimately done what's needed to be done in restoring a lot of prestige to it. Once he drops it, then the real test begins because we'll see how dedicated Vince is to keeping up the relevance of the title by being pickier about who gets the title rather than taking the title back to something someone carries around for a little while.

I honestly think one of three things will happen. Either there will some sort of dirty finish and both men will leave with their respective titles, that's the WWE taking the easy way out.

Or Rollins will win the match with interference from a returning Kane and J&J Security, and then Sheamus will cash in, leaving Rollins with the US title and Sheamus being world champ. That frees up Cena to get into a feud with Sheamus for the next few months, and Rollins to start something up with either Cesaro and Owens.

Last but not least, Rollins will win outright, and spend the next couple of months rubbing it in everyone's face. This could lead to a break with the Authority and a Rollins face turn.

I doubt Cena will win the WHC at Summerslam. They've just put his new merchandise on sale at wwe.shop.com, and on the back it says 15x world champ. It's a long shot, but they could be swerving us again, and actually have him win. Would be a shame to bring out all these new shirts and have to throw them out if he becomes 16x world champ.

Seth Rollins is the inevitable future of the WWE. They should find some way to build his character more and let the fans treat him as the greatest heel.

In many ways, that's what they're doing right now. After being looked after on a nightly basis by The Authority, J & J Security, Kane, Big Show and the Third Regimen of the Grand Army Republic, Seth is finally operating on his own. This is his best path to becoming the 'greatest heel' and ruling the roost.

Yes, he might lose his world title to Cena who, for all intents and purposes, has become a transitional champion when one is needed. If that occurs, Cena would likely give up his US Title, since a face would undoubtedly do the right thing and allow someone else to carry the lesser belt. That would also solve of the problem of taking the US belt from Cena without him having to lose a match. This is what Ultimate Warrior did after beating Hulk Hogan in their double-belt match, remember?

Don't fear; Rollins will have other world championship reigns. Functioning on his own, he's a better performer than ever.

Of course, if Seth wins, he might try to hold both titles, as a heel would be expected to do. Then again, his 'loner' heel champion character as depicted today calls for him to avoid risking his title as much as possible; we see him railing against Triple H when the boss orders him to defend......and he then gets on the mic and claims he issued the challenge.

So, when you consider it, Rollins might want to rid himself of the US Title as quick as possible.....to one of his allies. Problem is, he has no allies at present.

Looking at developments in the past couple of weeks, the closest he has to a buddy is Kevin Owens.......so maybe Rollins beats Cena, keeps his World title while abdicating the US belt......and somehow passes it to KO.

Isn't having Kevin Owens as the US titleholder exactly what some people wanted after he fought his series against Cena?

Isn't having Kevin Owens as the US titleholder exactly what some people wanted after he fought his series against Cena?

You could include me in that list. But now he's out of the context so we just couldn't expect it. WWE just extinguished the red hot momentum of Kevin Owens. So now he's out of this context, at least for a while. But I wouldn't mind him holding the title for a long time.

Cheers!!

my guess is john wins title. then Kane attack john then sheamus cash in and wins the title. on next day authority announced John is injured and out for two months. they vacate the title and a tournament held winner will choose at NOC. meanwhile sheamus joins authority they had a cold war with Seth.

Rollins needs to keep the WWE title, because WWE has invested too much time in him. So that means WWE will be playing the ROH angle and have Rollins two belts, just like Jay Lethal.

I could see them keep both belts on Rollins for a month, make him do double duty, you could milk a few episodes out of the angle where he defends both titles against jobbers for a week, then after a month he drops the US title on a Raw to someone, which sets-up a PPV main event for whoever takes the belt in a WWE title match.

It would be good to get someone a rub and the US Title, since Cena has already done his job and elevated the prestige of the belt.

They could also just have a finish at SS where both guys keep their belts. Since this won't be the last match of the night (Brock vs. Old Guy will be last) they can play with the finish a little more.

That's a very good question. I hope that regardless of if it's John Cena or Seth Rollins who ends up with the US Championship after Summerslam.... that the belt will remain active.

The stipulation of "Title VS Title" honestly does not sound like the best route they could have gone. Cena could have faced Owens in a feud ending match for the US Championship that Owens wins while Rollins could have faced Cesaro in a potential show stealer for the World Heavyweight Championship. Or if it had to be Cena VS Seth then they could have had Owens win the belt during an Open Challenge match by now then do Seth VS Cena for the World Heavyweight Championship while Cesaro VS Owens for the US Championship could also be on the card. However, it is what it is and the "Title VS Title" stipulation stands. Should still be a good match.

Now, let's get back to the actual subject of discussion. If Cena wins, I could see him vacating the US Championship to not only focus on being World Heavyweight Champion but also announce a Battle Royal for the US Championship in a promo where he hopes the winner would continue the Open Challenge tradition. A face winner would go on to do just that while a heel could get instant heel heat by deciding to do away with the Open Challenges upon his win and not defend it until Night of Champions. If Seth wins, I could see him trying to defend both belts for a brief bit. Maybe Sheamus cashes in to obtain the World Heavyweight Championship giving us Seth Rollins as US Champion only.

No matter what the result of the Summerslam match is.... they need to keep the US Championship active. No unification. The federation's roster is large enough to justify having two midcard titles. The Intercontinental Championship can be the true midcard title while the US Championship can retain the Open Challenge format where anyone can get a shot on Raw or on PPV. The Open Challenges have raised up the US Championship's prestige. It is now the 2nd most prestigious belt on the main roster. To deactivate it would be a mistake at this point.

Since The Authority is such a mainstay on TV, I wouldn't mind them running an angle with them collecting all the belts. Rollins has those two. They jump and weaken Ryback and take the IC title. Same with the tag titles. Somehow it turns into a huge blowout that ends at the Survivor Series. I don't know, for some reason, I just thought of that stuff just now

What if the match is hellacious like we all expect, both guys having multiple near falls hitting all the tricks in their bag but neither winning and then when they're both out on their feet, Sheamus comes and cashes in on Rollins winning the World Title AND US Title? I mean come on, if Wrestling was real and you were Sheamus, wouldn't you want to cash in and win both at the same time? Either that or he wins the world title and then Cena and Rollins have to finish the match for the US title knowing that neither of them can win the WWEWHC as it has already been taken.

What if the match is hellacious like we all expect

Wrong. That implies every single member of this forum, including myself, expects an awful match. I happen to think the match will be great, thus making your initial statement completely incorrect.

both guys having multiple near falls hitting all the tricks in their bag but neither winning and then when they're both out on their feet, Sheamus comes and cashes in on Rollins winning the World Title AND US Title? I mean come on, if Wrestling was real and you were Sheamus, wouldn't you want to cash in and win both at the same time?

That is not how Money In The Bank works. Unless they create a new briefcase designated for another title, Sheamus only has a guaranteed World Heavyweight Championship shot whether he wants both belts upon cash-in or not. If Sheamus cashes in and wins the World Heavyweight Championship, then Cena and Rollins would still have the US Championship to fight for.

Either that or he wins the world title and then Cena and Rollins have to finish the match for the US title knowing that neither of them can win the WWEWHC as it has already been taken.

Sheamus cashing in followed by a US Championship match is an odd way for them to go, but it's a potential outcome and there are worse options out there than that. Seth feuding with Sheamus for the top prize at Night of Champions afterwards while Cena continues his Open Challenges for the US Championship is an outcome that is not an impossibility if Sheamus does cash in for the World Heavyweight Championship at Summerslam.

If Cena wins, I could see him vacating the US Championship

I don't know if the idea of John Cena Vacating the US title if he wins both the titles at Summerslam. It'll put a huge break on the so called Pride of holding the US Championship. That wouldn't make much sense because Cena challenges Seth in the first place to prove that the US title is much more prestigious than the big gold and for that the egoistic Seth Rollins wanted to win over that title all for himself. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers!!

Somehow I dont see Cena owning both of the titles at the end of night and both title on Rollins would be nice way for him to get some rub. So its either screwy finish or Rollins wins and Sheamus cashes in after to take WWE WHC title from him.

That is if they are going with that route and not standard "Cena wins lol". Though from what I read they plan on taking this feud for few PPVs so could see "screwy finish" in some way so this would continue with both of them with their titles. :)

I'm kind of in the opposite boat as some others. Were Cena to win both titles, I can very well see him trying to defend both as his whole argument throughout this feud has been, he, as a fighting champion, has made the US strap more valuable than the WWE strap. I can't really see him just giving the US title up when it's all said and done, especially after all he's put into it.

On the other hand, if Rollins were to come out of Summerslam as dual champion, I can easily see him going the "trash can" route with the US title, saying it's not worth his time or something or other leading to a return match with Cena. Than of course, there's always the X factor in Sheamus and the MITB briefcas, which is a strong possibility here as well.

Personally, I'd like to see Rollins come out of Summerslam as a double champ and vacate the title in the most heel way possible. That way, if they want to continue with this Cena/Rollins feud, the US title will be firmly out of the way. As much as I like Sheamus, I'm kind of hoping that he doesn't cash in on Sunday as I'm really starting to get into Seth Rollins' title reign. Here's to hoping he holds it until Mania.

I'd rather see no title changes at Summerslam between Rollins and Cena. I say that because I want the U.S Championship Open Challenge to continue and have the proper ending the challenge deserves. If Cena wins the world title, the U.S Championship has to take a back burner and I doubt the World Title will be defended every week with a World Title Open Challenge. It's kind of heading in that direction anyway....it's a new ( ish ) feud between Cena and Rollins and Cena has gotten the best of the champion leading up to Summerslam despite a broken honker.

I would think this feud continues to Survivor Series that would have Team Cena vs Team Rollins or something of that nature.

When Shaemus cashes in is anyones guess.....

P.S - My prediction powers are probably the worst non dirt sheet on the internet.

I think Seth Rollins should win and for his own amusement say he is putting the title up in a ladder match. he of course wont be involved in the ladder match as he is WWE champion and wont be bother scrapping around on the bottom of the barrel for the US belt. but he will hand pick the 6-8 competitors to compete in it.

This is a no-win situation for WWE. Not trying to be negative, but I simply don't see a positive outcome.

1. John Cena Wins The WWE Title Clean - Yawn. Yet another Cena overcomes the odds story.

2. Seth Rollins Retains The Title Non-Clean - Yawn. Yet another instance of Rollins needing interference to retain the title. (It was fine for a while, but it has gotten old.)

3. Seth Rollins Retains The Title Clean - A cowardly heel isn't going to beat SuperCena clean. This shouldn't happen and it's not going to.

4. Non-Finish (Disqualification, Countout, etc.) - There must be a winner.

5. Sheamus Cashes In On Either Rollins or Cena - Sheamus doesn't deserve to be WWE Champion.

Over the last few PPVs, WWE has booked themselves into a corner regarding the main event scene. I don't see a positive outcome no matter what WWE does.

Rollins wins both titles. During the celebration, Sheamus cashes in and wins the world title, leaving Rollins with the US title. Maybe he loses the US Title to Cena in a rematch on Raw... The whole thing could turn into a triple threat for Night of Champions: Sheamus / Seth / Cena. Two titles on the line, let Cena win the world title and tie the record and Sheamus takes the US Title, as that's where he should really be on the card anyhow.

I would then use Rollin's failure to hold onto the belts as a springboard for the HHH/Rollins feud (because that match shouldn't be at Wrestlemania), Rollins goes over and then goes on to regain the WHC as a babyface at some point... Rumble, Mania..

I honestly think one of three things will happen. Either there will some sort of dirty finish and both men will leave with their respective titles, that's the WWE taking the easy way out.

Or Rollins will win the match with interference from a returning Kane and J&J Security, and then Sheamus will cash in, leaving Rollins with the US title and Sheamus being world champ. That frees up Cena to get into a feud with Sheamus for the next few months, and Rollins to start something up with either Cesaro and Owens.

Last but not least, Rollins will win outright, and spend the next couple of months rubbing it in everyone's face. This could lead to a break with the Authority and a Rollins face turn.

I doubt Cena will win the WHC at Summerslam. They've just put his new merchandise on sale at wwe.shop.com, and on the back it says 15x world champ. It's a long shot, but they could be swerving us again, and actually have him win. Would be a shame to bring out all these new shirts and have to throw them out if he becomes 16x world champ.

I think Rollins will win clean like Orton did at TLC 2013 for the WWE and WHC titles.

I think if Cena won, it should be celebrated in a huge fashion. Tying Flair's record is a huge deal and should close out the show which makes me feel like that isn't going to happen since they've been hyping Brock vs. Taker and it looks like that'll close out the show.

It's curious. There are a few options and some are interesting and others, less so. Sheamus walking out World Champ with Cena US champ just doesn't appeal. Rollins is doing fantastic at the moment and deserves the belt. That being said, Cena's US title run has been wonderful and there is still life in it yet.

Personally, I'd like to see Rollins win both belts and then lose the US title a few weeks later on Raw. Cesaro seems like the prime option given their mini-feud and the reactions he is getting. Cena could cause a distraction or whatever but Seth holding both titles won't work in the long run. Cena could maybe win it back in a few months but I'd like to see Rollins drop the belt to Cesaro.

I think that Rollins has to win at SummerSlam. Cena has called him out on the legitimacy of his title reign, so he needs to win in order to validate himself. The US Title Open Challenge has really allowed Cena to build up the significance of the belt, so Rollins beating him for it will mean something. It's SummerSlam, it's the second biggest show of the year, I don't want to see some lame non-finish that let's the WWE play it safe and have both guys walk out still holding their belts. It's being promoted as winner-take-all, one guy should raise both titles in the end. It does seem likely that Sheamus will play a role though. The MITB is a convienient way to have a clear winner between Cena and Rollins, while still preventing one of them from walking around as a double champion. I wouldn't be surprised if they went that route in the end. If Sheamus vs. Orton takes palce early on in the night, expect a cash-in. At Night of Champions we would then get a double title match like the triple threat at WrestleMania 16. It would be Cena vs. Rollins vs. Sheamus, the first fall for the US Title and the second fall for the World Title.

I hope the United States Championship Title is finally retired. It had a great run in the NWA and WCW. It had a great second run in the WWE. The United States Championship Title Belt and the Divas Championship Title Belt are the only two Championship Title Belts with nameplates. I do love the nameplate feature, and it’s actually the reason why I started collecting Championship Title Belts. Since they started to get away from using nameplates, I’d like to see the WWE drop the nameplates on all of the Championship Title Belts to keep it somewhat uniform. Storyline wise, I’d like to see Seth Rollins hand the United States Championship Title Belt over to Triple H in exchange for his statue at WWE Headquarters.

Rollins if he were to vacate the WWE United States Championship then it would make sense so then that way he can go walking around only as WWE World Heavyweight Champion and then Rollins by him vacating the US Title he actually gives other superstars a chance at that title

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back