What's So Great About GIMP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
For those who don't know, GIMP is a free image editing software. It has often been called "The Free Alternative to Photoshop". There are people who swear by it. Personally, I don't believe it can even hold a candle to Photoshop.

Maybe it's just me, but I find GIMP to be very, very user-unfriendly. The layout is confusing, you can't even make a new layer without opening a menu, you can't edit text and easily place it, and last I checked there wasn't even a polygonal lasso!

One good thing that GIMP has is the filters. Seriously, the default Filters can do some epic effects. But that's the only thing I see that it has above Photoshop, except for the price. But even that's not much of a pro, because who pays for anything nowadays, really? ;)

So, you GIMP users out there...convince me. What's so great about GIMP?

And to everyone else:
Have you ever used a Photoshop alternative?
How did it measure up?
What are the pros and cons of various image-editing programs that you've used?

When I first wanted to play around with imaging I downloaded GIMP. I was terrible. So I decided to stay with it and I gave up on it in about a month. I thought maybe it was just me. So I eventually got PS and I must say it wasn't me. PS is very user friendly and is really top notch. And I can say there is no chance I'd have some of the graphics that I have if I had GIMP. My graphics would be non existent or Paint based haha.

I have never actually used GIMP, what I use is GIMPshop. Actually, I don't use that much either, but I don't use Photoshop much as well. Basically, the biggest thing about GIMPshop is that it is free, whereas Photoshop is a LOT of money. And GIMPshop is very similar in layout to Photoshop, so it's not really that user un-friendly. It's just not as slick looking.

Ah, OK. I never had the chance to use GIMPshop as I couldn't get the download to work. I would give that a shot if I have to get another computer. When I use that, I might change my opinion, but right now I hold that the original GIMP shell is not fun, especially when you're used to PS.

Gimp is pretty good i liked it when i had it, you cna do some good stuff with it. here are some works that some peopel i know have done.

sjsiglg6.jpg

and another.

tutorialgi4.png

there is a good site to look at some nice gimp work, that is where these come from i am still a member evan thoguh i dont use gimp any more.

Ah, OK. I never had the chance to use GIMPshop as I couldn't get the download to work. I would give that a shot if I have to get another computer. When I use that, I might change my opinion, but right now I hold that the original GIMP shell is not fun, especially when you're used to PS.

That pretty much shows you why GIMP is hard to work with. As for me a GIMP user PS is hard for me to work with. GIMP has everything PS has. The only thing GIMP needs are adjustment layers. And GIMP will be getting those by the next few upgrades. Secondly, GIMP users can make some amazing things. I'll show you some of the those, if you want later.. And GIMPshop is the same as GIMP, just with a PS interface.

I went from GIMP to PS and I've turned out alright haha. I was absolute garbage in GIMP and I almost gave up graphics. I don't know. Maybe if I tried GIMP I would be better at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back