Which WWE star of today can make it in 1989 - 1997 WWF?

GhettoV1

Pre-Show Stalwart
Do you see the following WWE stars make it in the WWE 1989-97?

AJ Styles
Bailey
Charlotte
Rusev and Lana
New Day
Kevin Owens
Sasha Banks
Alexa Bliss
Roman Reigns
Dean Ambrose
Seth Rollins
Finn Balor
Samoa Joe
The Miz and Maryse
American Alpha
Bray Wyatt
Becky Lynch
Nia Jax
The Shining Stars
Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson
Braun Strowman
Sami Zayn

Imagine how they can fit in the company in that timeline.

Idk I could see Seth Rollins and AJ Styles battle for the WWF World or Intercontinental titles say 1993.

From that group, remenbering how the wwe was during that period, I see roman reigns would have been a huge star durig that period, he has the look and the character tjat was really huge back in those days.

Bray wyatt would have been a huge heel also because he could have live the gimmick alot more and keep keyfabe a lot easier then today.

Outside of that, maybe strowman because of his size, but the rest of them would have been jobber or on the lower mid card back in the day because it was the land of the big guys during that period and the mentality was to feed small guys to those big guys to make them look impressive.

As for the girls, they wouldn't even have been employed by wwe because back then, wwe didn't cares about woen wrestling because at that time, women wrestling was still considered like a special attraction

Orton would have been a monster heel. His style is perfect for that time period, against guys like Bret Hart, HBK, Austin, etc.

I think most of them could've gotten over to some extent, just not in the same way.

Few of them would as the AE basically shaped them... you're talking one or two tops.

Finn Balor would have been a WCW Cruiserweight who crossed over, like Rey... but the body paint probably wouldn't have been available then or prohibitive to do, taking away his big appeal in that era.

The one guy who would have gone over huge would have been Wyatt - in TV14 they could have gone more into the Manson-esque aspects of his cult... probably had someone like Daffney or Lita as his Linda Kasabian type. You could imagine him writing things in opponents blood etc...

The new day would have endedup as part of the nation but there gimmick reminds me of the new generation...

They also would have been managed by sunny at some point...

I think a less-creepy Bray Wyatt could have made it just fine in that era. There were lots of characters in that day who didn't fit the big-guy mold. Bossman, Earthquake, Hillbilly Jim, Hacksaw, etc etc.

I think he would have been right at home, just with the creepiness dialed way back. That era wasn't ready for all that.

I think a less-creepy Bray Wyatt could have made it just fine in that era. There were lots of characters in that day who didn't fit the big-guy mold. Bossman, Earthquake, Hillbilly Jim, Hacksaw, etc etc.

I think he would have been right at home, just with the creepiness dialed way back. That era wasn't ready for all that.

Actually, that era had its own bray Wyatt, Dan spivey as Waylon mercy....

Who I've always thought should make an appearance as uncle waylon

From that group, remenbering how the wwe was during that period, I see roman reigns would have been a huge star durig that period, he has the look and the character tjat was really huge back in those days.

Bray wyatt would have been a huge heel also because he could have live the gimmick alot more and keep keyfabe a lot easier then today.

Outside of that, maybe strowman because of his size, but the rest of them would have been jobber or on the lower mid card back in the day because it was the land of the big guys during that period and the mentality was to feed small guys to those big guys to make them look impressive.

As for the girls, they wouldn't even have been employed by wwe because back then, wwe didn't cares about woen wrestling because at that time, women wrestling was still considered like a special attraction

Rusev isn't a small guy and actually would have been PERFECT in the era. Anderson and Gallows would have been stars, too. They would have fit in well with the tag teams of the era.

Also, I think that Samoa Joe and AJ Styles would have been great at that time. AJ & Shawn Michaels would have been natural rivals, not to mention the matches he could have had with Bret Hart, Davey Boy Smith, Razor Ramon, Mr. Perfect, etc. Samoa Joe and Davey/Bret would have been fire, too.

Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns and Nia would have been great fits, too.

WWE did not have much of a Women's Division. Charlotte would have been in WCW or Japan. Bayley might have made it in WWE, but she would have to go up again Nakano, Blayze and Bertha Faye (Monster Ripper). Bayley is great, she is nowhere near that league. Everyone else on the Women's end? No. Though I do see Banks and Lynch as stars in All Japan or GAEA. Bliss and Maryse would do well with the second incarnation of JWP. JWP were the "Sports entertainers" led by Jackie Sato. Sato would have done well training them. Another option around 1996 would be jdStar under Jaguar Yokota, who would have made Bliss and Maryse fantastic wrestlers. But WWE? Negative.

As for the men: You need the ability to cut a promo NATURALLY to have done well in the WWF 1989-1997. AJ Styles would have made it. Seth Rollins, Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens would have been "Can't miss". Rusev? No. Hell no. Many did the Iron Curtain villain much better. And, I doubt VKM would have had another Iron Curtain native play a villain. Bray Wyatt? Maybe. But, Kevin Sullivan did it better. Strowman would have been a much better Uncle Elmer, or a Mighty Igor type face. Shining Stars would have jobbed. New Day would have been tag champs many times or put on the same level as the Bushwackers. Zayn? Rick McGraw-type jobber. Roman Reigns? The Anoa'i family connection would shoot him to IC Strap land. Possible forays into the Main Event picture. But, he would have a Manager and be a heel. American Alpha? They would get pushed because of the Team USA connection. Gallows and Anderson? They would be in NWA-WCW. Quite possibly ECW. Miz? Jobber. Possibly a star in ECW. Ambrose? Lower card in WWF. Probably a star in ECW.

So the Shining Stars venture to the USWA to get seasoning vs PG-13 up and down the territory every week.

Definitely Rollins, Reigns, Styles, Ambrose, Owens, Lesnar definitely same goes for Cena

But Nakamura, Owens, Samoa Joe, etc. they too would able to fit in that era as well

Rusev isn't a small guy and actually would have been PERFECT in the era. Anderson and Gallows would have been stars, too. They would have fit in well with the tag teams of the era.

Also, I think that Samoa Joe and AJ Styles would have been great at that time. AJ & Shawn Michaels would have been natural rivals, not to mention the matches he could have had with Bret Hart, Davey Boy Smith, Razor Ramon, Mr. Perfect, etc. Samoa Joe and Davey/Bret would have been fire, too.

Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns and Nia would have been great fits, too.

Completly forgot about rusev, my bad, he would have been great playing the russian heel character. I think joe would have been stuck playing the typical samoan character back in the day if he was on the roster bak then so I doubt he woud have worked. As for aj styles, here the thing, remembering this era foundly, because of his size, vince would probably see him more as a job guy then anything else because while he's a good wrestler, he doesn't have the look of a shawn michaels or bret hart and look more like those guys they use as job guys.

AJ Styles
Rusev and Lana
New Day
Kevin Owens
Roman Reigns
Dean Ambrose
Seth Rollins
Samoa Joe
The Miz and Maryse
American Alpha
Bray Wyatt
Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson
Braun Strowman

These are the only ones I could see even being in the WWE during that time period.

Styles likely would have never made it past Intercontinental Championship. He's small and that was not the era for small guys.

Rusev would have been a main eventer with a beautiful blonde on his arm. They'd play up the Russia gimmick, but not to a point where he was anti USA, just that he thought he was better than us.

New Day would only succeed as a team. They'd be in the tag title picture, but not as good as they are currently.

Owens would be given a terrible gimmick and end up in WCW.

Roman Reigns would be WWF Champion. His size and athleticism give him the edge. He would have been a MAJOR babyface back then though.

Dean Ambrose would be popular with the fans, but be a mainstay in the Intercontinental Championship picture.

Seth Rollins would have likely been similar to HBK. Started in a tag team and then dropped the dead weight.

Samoa Joe would be a monster heel that faced Taker all the time.

The Miz would have been the abnoxious heel in the Intercontinental Championship picture, but nothing more.

American Alpha would be the All American tag team that eventually went to WCW.

Bray Wyatt would have been another mainstay in feuds with Taker. They'd try the mind games with each other constantly.

Gallows and Anderson would be Tag Champs regularly. Especially in an era where tag team wrestling sucked towards the end.

Braun Strowman would be facing Roman Reigns all the time for the WWF Championship. He'd be the major monster heel with Bobby Heenan or Ted Dibiase as a manager.

Chris Jericho. Great in the ring, great character work, can be a great heel or face, naturally charismatic and a great talker. And he gets the storytelling arch of a feud.

I would've loved to have seen him feud with early 90's Mr. Perfect and Bret Hart in particular.

Jericho as a heel would've been the type of guy that could get a great match and feud out of the Ultimate Warrior too.

Chris Jericho. Great in the ring, great character work, can be a great heel or face, naturally charismatic and a great talker. And he gets the storytelling arch of a feud.

I would've loved to have seen him feud with early 90's Mr. Perfect and Bret Hart in particular.

Jericho as a heel would've been the type of guy that could get a great match and feud out of the Ultimate Warrior too.

I could picture it now...

"Ultimate Warrior... You know what happens when you shake the ropes in MY ring... Do you? [pen click] YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!"

Or Jericho feuding with Sid Vicious...

"Sid every time you talk you sound more and more like a stupid idiot!"

Honestly, Jericho feuding with anyone = GOLD

I could picture it now...

"Ultimate Warrior... You know what happens when you shake the ropes in MY ring... Do you? [pen click] YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!"

Or Jericho feuding with Sid Vicious...

"Sid every time you talk you sound more and more like a stupid idiot!"

Honestly, Jericho feuding with anyone = GOLD

Yeah, I mean I could see 2016 "the list, drink it in maaaaan, stupid idiot!" Jericho feuding with Warrior.

I could see 2008 "best in the world at what I do, gelatinous tapeworms, suit wearing" Jericho feuding with Warrior.

I could see early 00's, obnoxious, "king of the world!" chickenshit Jericho feuding with Warrior.

I could see late 90s, snarky, smart ass, "paragon of virtue, mispronouncing names" Jericho feuding with Warrior.

The guy just friggin has it. When inspired, and when given time and freedom to make it work, Jericho can bring pure gold for himself, the fans, and his opponent.

With the exception of Aj Styles and Bray Wyatt I don't think anyone else from your list would have been near the roster. I think characters and personalities were more important back in the day but todays number one priority seems solely based on wrestling skill.
All names on your list are all capable wrestlers skill wise but a lot are too small and have little to no personality and I don't think they would even have made it to some of the larger independants that were around at the time.

What would WWE of today sound if Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan, JR and The King(1992-99), Jesse Ventura and Gorilla or Vince McMahon or Michael Cole (2001-10) and Tazz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back