WWE Entrances- More unimaginative, lackluster, & uncreative then ever

Which Era produced the best light shows for the entrances?

• New Generation- ring lights off, stenciled graphics (Bret Hart-hearts / Goldust glitter)

• Attitude Era- ring lights for half the entrances, others had concert feel (Gangrel, HHH)

• PG Era- ring lights on during most entrances, aren't too over-the-top (Cena, Batista, CM Punk)

Results are only viewable after voting.
out of the PG Era i say one of the best one's is Kofi Kingston's as it fit him and the ramp pyro is awesome when he comes out as it fits him. I'm surprised noody mention him.

Ironicly enough hes one that needs changed the most if you ask me when i first saw the topic he dropped that crappy Jamaican accent.. next to go needs to be the Jamaican music.. he really needs to think of that since hes getting this big push from mid card to main event.. that he needs a new music.. or the whole dropping the accent feels pretty pointless.. he can keep the boom boom boom crap just get rid of that music

Sidious' threads - More unimaginative, lackluster & uncreative than ever. Hehe, I'm just kidding with you. But do you ever get bored of complaining about something? Why do you even still watch it? Really now, the entrances are taking away from your enjoyment? ;)

The entrances really are not a big deal, and they shouldn't be. We should be marking out for the wrestlers - and we do. Have you heard the arena when someone such as Hardy, Cena or DX's music hits? Who gives a damn if there aren't a few fireworks, I sure as hell don't. As long as my favourites are in that ring doing what they do best I couldn't care less.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I rarely complain about anything. So you know IF I am complaining, it's probably for a damn good reason. But, if you weren't around for the transition period between the Hogan Era and the New Generation, it probably doesn't mean as much. This was a true pleasure seeing the transition made and WWE actually creating light shows for each of their talents.

And just responding to the above comments from other posters, where as the Attitude Era had some great entrances .... I actually have to give credit to the New Generation as overall, producing the best all-around entrances. It amazes me simply seeing the company go backwards instead of forward in this regard.

Entrances get me hyped for a confrontation. I think they're important because generally the same holds true for most *normal* wrestling fans. Not people like Becca who only watch HBK with lustful thoughts in mind.

They help me get more into the overall character. Today, I could care less about probably 75% of the superstars on the WWE roster, plain and simply because WWE hasn't given me a reason to actually care. Entrances help define personality. They look cool, and can be utterly mesmerizing if done properly.

Kofi has a nice intro out of the young guys, but there needs to be more. Lights just change colors and not many have pyro anymore. An entrance doesn't make or break the wrester, but it can get the crowd into the wrestler and it can really build up support for them. WWE needs to be more creative. If all the stages are going to be the same and all, at least increase the pyro or something.

I’ve noticed that they usually do have some really good entrances when it comes to pay per views. Maybe it’s not for all of the guys, but not every wrestler needs some amazing entrance and I think you might agree with that Sidious. Anyways, looks at Shawn Michael’s, Triple H’s, and Undertaker’s entrances at shows like Wrestlemania. When I see them I get the feeling that I’m about to see something epic.

But I only get that feeling with the main eventers because they are usually the only ones that get the great entrances. But you’d think that in this day and age with all of the technology available, they would give some of the rising stars something to differentiate them from every other wrestler.

I’m not really whining and complaining about the entrances, but I do think they should be better considering everything they can do and still make sure every person has a different, unique, and creative entrance.

I think the entrances have have slowly diminished in quality over the years and I beleive one of the main reasons this has happened is because a lot of the WWE wrestlers don't have a defined character. If you look at some of the entrances of the past, they often complemented the character. So for example, Goldust had the gold lighting, Taker had the purple, Kane had the red, Ultimate Warrior had the crazy lighting and so on. If you look at the wrestlers who still have a dramatic entrance today it's those who have some sort of character, namely Undertaker, Kane, DX and the Hurricane.

I think when there are characters, it's much easier to design a creative entrance for them and to come up with something that complements them. That's why I think the majority of the roster have similar entrances today. But still, I agree with those who say an entrance creates a spectacle and is capable of getting the viewer pumped for a particular match...I know that one of the main reasons I liked Kane back in the day was because he had a cool entrance, so that goes to show the effect that a well conceived entrance can have on fans. Overall, while it's not an overly important issue in terms of my enjoyment of the show I do think certain wrestlers could be afforded 'better' entrances...

Today, I could care less about probably 75% of the superstars on the WWE roster, plain and simply because WWE hasn't given me a reason to actually care. Entrances help define personality. They look cool, and can be utterly mesmerizing if done properly.

I couldn't agree more with this. Entrances are really important because they let you know that the wrestler entering is a badass or a loser, before they even start wrestling. Someone can have all the in-ring ability in the world, but still not impress me enough for me to care about their character. That is one of the factors that help me decide who to root for. Entrances, mic skills, and in-ring ability are all equally important in my opinion.

Say someone is great in the ring, and entertaining on the mic.... but their entrance is flat out boring, then something will feel like it's missing.... thus, my reaction to that wrestler will be "why should I even watch your match?".... The entrances can help big time if they are impressive enough. That's just me.
_

We hit on this a little last night in the Impact LD. Entrances today in WWE are very "mayo". They're all on the same field: Flashing lights, loud music, maybe a boom or two, and that's it.

Look at AJ's entrance in TNA for example. Music starts, lights go out, and then the Titantron starts at the same time as 3 different walls of sparks. He comes out with his hooded vest (which is a big part of his entrance), and the crowd explodes.

His entrance is a spectacle. There's no pop for WWE's entrances. The pop is for the guys coming out, and Vince is happy with that. It doesn't kill the show, but it would be nice to see a little effort put into them.

We hit on this a little last night in the Impact LD. Entrances today in WWE are very "mayo". They're all on the same field: Flashing lights, loud music, maybe a boom or two, and that's it.

Look at AJ's entrance in TNA for example. Music starts, lights go out, and then the Titantron starts at the same time as 3 different walls of sparks. He comes out with his hooded vest (which is a big part of his entrance), and the crowd explodes.

His entrance is a spectacle. There's no pop for WWE's entrances. The pop is for the guys coming out, and Vince is happy with that. It doesn't kill the show, but it would be nice to see a little effort put into them.

And I couldn't agree more.

It's hard to get excited about the entrances of the WWE talent if:

1) All the ring lights are turned on during the entrance

2) All the entrances have the same type of look to them- flashing white lights (again, especially while the ring lights are turned on)

All use white lights:

John Cena
Batista
Edge
CM Punk
Mark Henry
R-Truth
Melina

And before them, you could have added Steve Austin, The Rock (off-white), Brock Lesnar, Ric Flair, and Bobby Lashley to the list as well.

Even if you have flashing colored lights during the entrance, like Big Show's regular entrance (who uses orange lights) .... all of that is still basically drowned out by the regular ring lights that are still turned on during the entire entrance.

Again, this is one thing they seemed to grasp during the New Generation with turning the ring lights off the entire time during the entrance .... and they used colored spotlights (same color as their entrance lights) to put some focus on the superstar as they were coming to the ring.

It's hard to get excited about the entrances of the WWE talent if:

1) All the ring lights are turned on during the entrance

2) All the entrances have the same type of look to them- flashing white lights (again, especially while the ring lights are turned on)

There's one guy I can think of that has all the lights go down during his entrance (not named 'Taker), and that's Evan Bourne. The problem is, there's still the basic white flashing lights, and they're pulsing at seizure-inducing speed. It's good for the "high energy" of his music, and fits his style, but that's all there is.

Maybe if/when he gets a steady push, they'll give him some pyro, or anything, to help it seem like a big deal. I'd still rank his above some of the other bland entrances WWE has.

Adding on to Evan Bourne's entrance, the low camera angle they use really helps it stand out as a big deal. It's kind of funny, because..he's not. At least, not yet.

R-Truth, John Morrison, Randy Orton, and Melina are the only other ones I can think of today other than the Attitude Era wrestlers that have interesting entrances. R-Truth raps. Morrison has the wind machine and slow-motion. Melina has the paparazzi and red carpet. Randy Orton has incredible lighting that flashes from red to blueish-white with every chord in his song. Other than that, I cannot think of many who have truly good entrances. Sure, I might recognize songs, but entrances aren't that fun to watch anymore.

Think about how much more into his gimmick Dolph Ziggler would seem if they gave him the Masters or Mr Perfect treatment, with a truly original entrance. Sure, his cocky gestures of leaning against the ropes and staring disdainfully at the crowd, along with the slow taking off of the jacket is somewhat unique, but his entrance needs to be more of a production. Maybe a female valet could hold a mirror, similar to Lex Luger's narcissist gimmick.

Or take Drew McIntyre. I could care less about Drew McIntyre, and part of that is his entrance. It's just so...boring. He doesn't even get a unique theme song. If he entered to something more intense with so mood lighting, it would be improved tremendously!

Yoshi Tatsu could have flashing dance lights to go with his music. Jack Swagger could have something that more reflects his All American American persona. Things need to be done.

To be honest, Edge's entrance is proably the only modern entrance I like. The song is terrible, but I have kind of grown to like it. It doesn't come off on TV, but in the arena, its strobes galore when he comes out and actually looks very good.

However, it is certainly not as cool as coming through the crowd like he used to, or The Brood entrance which is by far the best entrance ever.

The WWE has toned it down for whatever reason, but what makes it worse is that they spoil a good idea. R-Truth's entrance is basically what got him over, but he hasn't come through the audience for about 3 months now. It isn't very hard or very expensive to make a few graphics or change the lighting. E.g. Have the Hart Dynasty come out in pink lights.

The graphic projected onto the ring may look a bit shit in this day and age, but lighting certainly wouldn't. The music is something that has to be blamed though as it saps the characters. Who get the biggest reaction when they enter: John Cena, Undertaker, Jericho and DX. All of them have songs that are 10+ years old, except Cena who sings his own.

The music of the WWE was always the one thing that was perfect, and presumably the WWE gain nothing from plugging shit bands, so I don't know why they do it. Ted DiBiase's music made you think "I hate that guy, he's pompous and richer than me", the music now makes me think "fuck me, I'm glad I don't live in America and don't have to listen to this shit on the radio".

There was a poll inserted into this thread, I would like everyone to participate in.

Which style of entrance do you find most enjoyable?

The New Generation style entrance, an Attitude Era style entrance, or the PG Era style entrance.

And BEFORE people select Attitude Era entrance simply because it has the words "Attitude Era" in it, make sure you actually understand the difference in style between the Attitude Era style entrance AND the New Generation style entrance AND the PG Era style of entrance .... taking into consideration the style of light show you received.

I picked the New Generation, because that style of entrance was very unique to every individual star on the roster. All the house lights were lowered when pretty much everyone came out, and they stayed out even as the talent entered the ring.

Everyone got their own personalized light show, unlike the Attitude Era and the PG Era. The Attitude Era had some very cool entrances, but the New Generation did a much better job overall in setting the mood for everyone's entrance.

I don't know enough to make an informed vote on this poll. Some time on youtube would probably help.

What I do know is that I believe that the most important part of a wrestler's entrance is the first sound of his music. That's what cues the crowd to pop

Breaking Glass. The Gong. "The Rock Says." Taz' siren. "You think you know me." Kurt Angle's trumpet fanfare. Kane's chords. Hendrix' Voodoo Child. Thus Spake Zarathustra (Ric Flair's music). Sirens for Melina.

Cena's music has been tweaked to make that rattling sound louder, because I think that it wasn't popping the crowd as much as it should (I remember thinking they should cut straight to the horns).

Nothing matters as much as that first sound, if you ask me.

I have to say, I agree and disagree with just about everything said here. I remember the days of WCW when it seemed like every single person had pyrotechnics and it just seemed old and tired. Now it seems like they're trying to give everyone fireworks. Now this isn't to say they shouldn't, because it certainly works for Jericho, DX, and Kane. But do Kofi and Edge really need fireworks? No. According to SvR 2010, smoke is considered fireworks, and that seems to work pretty well for the Undertaker. I guess ultimately, IF those kind of effects are to be used they should be done more tastefully.

As far as entrance music goes, I both like and dislike the use of established bands for theme songs. I like Christians music by Story of the Year, but I feel like it's going to get out dated fast. I love Rage Against the Machine, but I'm not sure how I feel about Jack Swagger having them as his entrance band. Not to say that Rage is "un-American" but they certainly don't personify "the All American American." Another issue with bands is, what happens when that band isn't big anymore? Zebrahead was big in the late 90's and here it is 10+ years later and they did Maria's theme song.

So again, I think if it's done tastefully it should be ok, not "Hey let's see what big stars we can get!" or "Hey, let's rip off big name bands by slightly altering their songs and taking out the lyrics!" *couch-Sting-cough-DDP-cough-Sandman-cough* oh sorry, I must have had something in my throat. Someone mentioned before that the superstars aren't gimmicks anymore, they're personas. Well we need gimmicks back, because the personas are just sorta...meh.

I think the Attitude Era was best. Not everyone needs a fancy entrance. The Hurricane does, because of his gimmick, but John Cena's works really well for his character. Paul Burchill certainly doesn't need a flashy entrance, but Goldust does.

Some wrestlers can get away with the white lights. Cena and Punk, for example. Punk has the song and the pulsing lights. Cena's just works. However, some wrestlers should have intense, concert-like entrances. Christian could have gold lighting or maybe a titantron/minitron fireworks display. Kofi Kingston should have the arena bathed in green. Drew McIntyre isn't a big deal yet, so he should have to earn his fancy entrance. I think what we need is a mix of subdued and epic entrances.

Entrances are a perfect way to capture the essence of that specific wrestler. Look at guys like The Rock, Austin, Taker, or HHH. You find out a lot about the character those guys are portraying through their entrance. That's why I hate the entrances where the guy just walks down to the ring without any flare or anything and with generic theme 12 playing in the background. Drew McIntyre is the perfect example of this. Alright, you're from Scotland, why should we care about you? But being fair to McIntyre, this is a widespread problem in WWE.

I understand that WWE is going for a more realistic look these days, but I hate that they are killing some of the spectacle of wrestling. There's just something about HBK coming out to his pyro, or Undertaker coming out to a dark arena that just captivates the fans. That's why I watch wrestling, if I wanted to see two boring and generic dudes just fight, then I would watch boxing or UFC. Wrestling is about the personality, the characters, and putting on a show for the fans, and entrances are a critical part to that.

I'm sure it's been touched on, but I'm not going through every post to find a single mention of it...

The ramps today are so short, in addition to all else. I HATE the entrances today as much as anyone, and instead of just piling on everything else that has been covered, I'll add this to the list.

I was just at RAW on Monday, it's really dumb looking to see a 20ft ramp, back in the day you had the long ramp, more dramatic entrance, and it can even be used effectively. People hate how slow the Undertaker walks, well he did the same routine 10 years ago and it didn't take any longer, the UFC fighters have long entrance ways, etc..

Many of the best entrances you've seen have had longer ramps and enabled more drama to be added, mainly speaking of the main event.

To be honest, I don't care about your TV entrance, but the PPV entrances should be special, especially for anybody just breaking into the PPV scene.

Anyone doubting the impact of entrances is asinine. Randy Orton and his Legend Killer gimmick was hugely assisted by his "Better Than You"/flashy entrance, the Undertaker is basically built around his entrance... it sets the vibe of the wrestler and if you just jog out for your title match, or whatever, it sets a really crappy tempo.

They've taken that special factor away from Orton, R-Truth, and even MVP. It brought their character to us in their entrance, whereas now every new guy has either the default good guy/bad guy entrance and you learn nothing about them.

I voted for the PG era. This is because while the majority of enterances today are just lame (see: the examples Sid cites in his poll), when WWE does put the effort in, it can make a truely awesome entrance. I'm only going to cite one example, because its the sole reason I picked the PG era (because I agree with the majority that most enterances in the New Generation and attitude eras were better); and that example is John Morrison's entrance. Since he was turned from Johnny Nitro to John Morrison he's had the slow motion and wind machine, and that was unique, and pretty cool (especially when he has belt swinging in slow-mo). But fuck me if they haven't improved it. The slow motion fireworks are just about the coolest thing I've seen on a WWE show, and more than enough of a reason to vote PG (even if every other enterance, with one or two exceptions is crap (and they are)).

I commented on this in another thread. I'll elaborate more here.

An entrance is the first impression a wrestler gets to make on the crowd. It separates the people there for the paycheck from the people who have wanted to be a wrestler their whole lives. When a wrestler wants to be there they put energy and excitement into their entrances. If it be a face high fiving the crowd or a heel yelling at the booing fans.

Today's entrances are poor because they are based on entrance themes and entrance videos. Back in the day you could see what kind of wrestler you were about to see. If they strutted down the ramp you know you were about to see a flashy wrestler who was cocky. When you saw Goldberg with the intensity he brought to the ring, you were ready for a jackhammer. Today you see Orton just walk to the ring and then Cena walk to the ring you aren't pumped for the match. The entrance is the pregame show, it's supposed to show if their is history between them or if this is going to be a squash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back