WWE Miami, Round 2, Match 3: #6. Curt Hennig vs. #27. Rick Martel

Perfect vs. The Model

• Perfection

• Arrogance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takesp lace in the WWE Region, under WWE Rules, from Miami, Fl.

#6. "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig
300_69965.jpg

vs.

#27. Rick "The Model" Martel
rick_martel1.jpg

It's the AWA all over again. i don't think these two ever went at it for the title, but I'll have to go with Hennig. Martel was great as a heel or a face, but Hennig had that X factor that martel didn't have. Maybe it was his character, but Hennig, when he was sober at least, was just so fun to watch. Martel is great but Hennig is just that much greater. Mr. Perfect moves on.

It's a very simple case here:

When both of these wrestlers were brought up to the big show (I.E. A WWE ring.... much like we find ourselves in here), Perfect was entrusted with the Intercontinental title. He made that title what it was in the 90s. He had classic matches with Tito Santana, Kerry Von Erich, and wrestled Bret Hart to multiple time limit draws. Rick Martel, when he was brought into the WWE, achieved his highest level of success in a tag team. He never found much success as a singles competitor, becoming more or less a jobber to the stars. He was never entrusted with a major angle, and even in the feuds he was booked into, he found himself caught on the losing side more often than not.

Not only that, but Perfect holds that marquee match that Martel never had... A victory over Ric Flair. Martel doesn't even come close to having a victory to match that.

If this were strictly an AWA V.S. AWA match, I'd give the match to Martel by the slimmest of margins. But if we're taking the WWE's version of Mr. Perfect against the AWA's Rick Martel at both of their kayfabe points, the choice is pretty clear.

Give it to Perfect.

This match is "Perfect" for Hennig. Rick Martel is simply overmatched by Hennig. Although they were both AWA World Heavyweight Champions, Mr. Perfect had a much better career outside of the AWA and won the Intercontinental Title on numerous occasions, even beating Bret Hart AND Ric Flair.

The Model merely blinded Jake the Snake Roberts with "Arrogance" and lost one of the most effed up matches in WM history, The BLINDFOLD MATCH.

Perfect Plex means Perfect win for Hennig.

Have to go with everyone else really. Two of the longest serving AWA champions ever, and Martel won it when the company was in better health than Hennig, but you essentially have to look at how well Mr. Perfect did and compare it to how shit Martel did on his own after Strike Force, and think that Perfect would win a back and forther here.

Rick Martel was a great wrestler, in my opinion. The dude had it all: A great look, promo ability, charisma, and could work a match. He had a great tag run with the awesome team of Strikeforce and he had a fun, memorable run as a singles competitor as well. He's one of the most underrated wrestlers in history if you ask me.

However, he's facing Mr. Perfect, one of the greatest of all time in the ring, charisma wise, and on the mic. While Martel would put up a respectable fight, at the end of the day, however, Perfect would kick his ass with ease.

Martel is someone that I don't think ever really got his due. He's never really gotten the respect that he deserves because he had a lot of great tools to make himself successful. He was a successful tag team wrestler and, obviously, had success in the singles ranks as well. He was a great all around athlete. I think he'd honestly give Hennig all he could handle. Both guys are matched up very well in most areas. I might give Martel a bit of an edge in speed but, other than that, it's right down the middle.

Hennig is one of the last great AWA Champions and he managed to go on to bigger and better things in the WWF. Martel was AWA Champ for nearly a year and a half, which is no small feat considering that he didn't have the last name of Gagne or Bockwinkel. This match has potential to be a great one. I can see a lot of back and forth in this, a lot of attemps at one-upmanship and some near falls. I wouldn't be surprised to see the match go to the 30 minute mark or longer. One real mistake I think could cost a guy the match.

I'm gonna give the win to Hennig, though not by too much. I wouldn't be disappointed though if Martel went over to the next round.

I honestly could probably watch this match 1000 times and not get bored. These two would play off of each otehr so well. Rick Martel, most forget, is a big reason why Shawn Michaels is the wrestler he is today. Without that initial feud with the Model, HBK wouldn't have had a great character to play off of, and might have faded away. In the end though, I think Perfect had a more accomplished career, and I think I enjoyed him just a bit more.

This match would be an awesome one. Perfect and Martel could go with each other and never fail to disappoint. But in the end, Perfect wins it. Martel is good in his own right, but Perfect is a legend in my mind. Perfect Plex after Martel fails to hit Perfect with some Arrogance.

I'm going with Mr. Perfect as well. In an AWA ring, I'd probably give the edge to Martel, but this is WWE. Mr. Perfect was better all around, while Martel only seemed to shine in tag matches.

Mr. Perfect had feuds with guys like Hogan, while Martel feuded with Tito Santana. Yeah he had the HBK storyline, but HBK was a boom or bust case at that point.

since this is WWE, Rick Martel had one of the stupidest gimmicks ever. And he was a boring ass heel. Mr. Perfect defeated Ric FLair. So he'd easily defeat the man they call the model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back