WWE PPV's in the UK

I know that we had summerslam 92 but do you think that vince would ever consider doing another big 4 ppv in the uk?

We had the rebellion/insurexion ppvs over the years as well as the raw/smackdown tapings every 6 months. but can you see vince letting us have the biggest ppv of them all?

The uk market has always been good to the wwe and id love to see it happen but what do you guys think?

i think they should. ss 92 is one of my favorites ever. the only think thats gonna stop it is the lack of an established superstar from the uk to build around. i know theres wade barret but hes just not there yet. maybe in about 3 or 4 years tho.

Yes they should I was hoping they'd do it this year during the summer when the Olympics are on in London.

no it is never going to happen for one simple reason. the wwe needs ppvs to be live in the US starting at 8 eastern 5 pacific because the US is where they get the majority of their ppv buys.

i dont know the exact time difference but wwe will not have a ppv where it starts at like 2am in the US. if this wasn't a problem then i think the uk would have already had another major ppv

Time difference <--- that right there is why it will never happen. Unless WWE does a PPV exclusive to the UK like Insurrextion but don't expect to see SummerSlam, SS, RR or WM here anytime soon.

Plus they don't really have a British superstar big enough to headline any of the PPV's.

i cant see one of the big four coming over here but one of the smaller ppv yes.everyone is saying oh no cause of time differance but you dont have raw live in the US when its over here god we dont even get raw live when its over here. we have two perfect venues that can hold 50000+ both with roofs for one in london and cardiff that have held major events already who says we need a british headline star just a good ppv we will all enjoy

The timezone argument is a nonsense. Midnight in London is 4pm in L.A. not only does it open a big market in Europe (3 times the size of the US) but it opens up the US market to kids who aren't allowed to stay up late. Anyone who says they wouldn't watch a PPV because it was on during the day is talking out of their ass.

The timezone argument is not non-sense at all, its the single reason.

While its true RAW or Smackdown isn't live when they are in the UK, you also aren't really paying for them. They are part of the cable package. I for one am not gonna pay 45 bucks for a show that I know the results of. Look at the UFC, unless they are in an area of the world where they can do a live set up in the United States at night, they tape the show and then show it on cable, because people aren't going to pay good money for a taped event.

And as for your midnight in London is 4pm in LA. Okay, so a normal WWE show starts at 7pm central time zone, so if you start it around 7pm London time, its now starting at 11am in LA, 1pm in Chicago, and 2pm in New York... People have better things to be doing midday on a Sunday then sitting around for 3 hrs watching a PPV. Also, your basically eliminating any PPVs from September-January, as WWE won't compete with a full NFL schedule.

i cant see one of the big four coming over here but one of the smaller ppv yes.everyone is saying oh no cause of time differance but you dont have raw live in the US when its over here god we dont even get raw live when its over here. we have two perfect venues that can hold 50000+ both with roofs for one in london and cardiff that have held major events already who says we need a british headline star just a good ppv we will all enjoy

you dont pay to watch raw so wwe doesnt lose money when raw is not live. you arent going to pay $55-65 to watch a ppv that you know the results of already.

I'd love it if they did. But it won't, as much as I wish it weren't true, it would have to start. START at 1 am (like the PPVs do on uk tv) in order for it to be live and at $50+ a show, more for the big ones, it just doesn't make financial sense, if you start it at a good time for the US, the arena will be damn near empty. If you do it at a sensible time in the UK, the buy rate would be severely compromised by the amount of spoilers. The best bet is a minor PPV coming to the UK, it could well be that IF they actually do the WWE network and IF they show minor PPVs on it, we could see something like extreme rules in the UK, but the big, major, massively profitable PPVs would end up costing more than they're worth.

I don't think it will happen. I think for it to be worth it you have to have a top UK guy in the WWE. Maybe a PPV that is not the big 4 then sure.

I wish we could get one down in Australia! Ethiad Stadium holds about 50,000 not including seats are the ring.

Maybe Survivor Series. It's always been the red-headed stepchild of the big 4.

Definitely not Wrestlemania though, unless their biggest star was from the UK.

Didn't we just have a "wwe should do PPV's in the UK" thread yesterday?

well it's called being in work and not having time to read all the threads. If there was a major problem im sure it would of been removed by now.

back on point summerslam 92 was held at wembley and was one of the big four. The time diff never made any diff to that PPV.

as for the whole argument that you need a top star from the uk to headline the PPV, the main event of summerslam was bret hart vs the bulldog for the INTERCONTINENTAL belt, so i guess you dont need it to be a world title if the build up and the match is important enough.

the time delay is a pain in the arse i guess but there must be a way around it???

The time zone is the obvious reason why the WWE will never do a PPV in UK. Not just a "big four", but *any* PPV. Sales in North America, their main market, would plummet.

I think British fans are awesome and it would create a great atmosphere, but it's just not a good decision from a financial perspective.

They might hold a ppv just not a big four ppv I say that because the big four are called such for a reason the biggest four money making ppvs of the year and with the timezone differences they would have to tape then the spoilers would leak out and buyrates would plummet therefore the answer is a resounding no

I think the biggest problem is the timing. There's usually a delay in footage from America and Britain due to time difference and it's not even just an issue of if they can get enough people to wake up at 1 a.m. and expect them to be active the entire night, but I figure the wrestlers would get fatigue around then, too. Just overall, time seems to be the biggest issue.

This thread comes up around once a month but as an English native I feel complied to respond.

No, I dont see this happening because the American market makes up for about 75% of PPV buys. Showing at an unsavioury time would hurt purchases and people would opt to watch illegal or just read spoilers.

I do think WWE could sell out Wembley (90,000) with ease though for a big PPV. Maybe having the show live in a European timezone would increase buys over here. Currently we have to watch at 1am-4am!

Maybe they could hold and Raw/Smackdown special at one of the smaller stadiums like Etihad in Manchester. Market it as a Raw vs Smackdown Supershow. Charge the American PPV audience a reduced PPV fee of $20 and see what happens? Surely the show would make money!!!

In the internet age you run the risk of spoilers if it is taped earlier. I wouldn't mind getting an earlier start on a ppv but I'm in the minority on the issue. During this time of year it would be alright but there are a lot of "What ifs" they'd have to address... I assume the big reason why PPVs aren't ran from the UK is because of the cost...

WWE should do one ppv a year in a different country. This isn't a big 4 PPV but a themed one that is based on the idea of the country its in. One year it could be in England, Next in australia and continue like that for a few years.
Could you imagine the reactions from the crowd, there already huge for the odd raw in smackdown so if you did a PPV that could be huge.
Now I know theres and issue with timings and although buyrights may be lower in america, wouldn't, for instance, the european buyrates increase if say a PPV was held in England? Maybe it's just wishful thinking from an english fan who doesn't get to see the product enough but i definatly think that after raw last night, Fans who are only able to see the product live every now and again do make for a great live crowd!

They 100% should do a PPV in the UK and make it a proper one, not a uk only one that has no proper title changes like Rebellion was.

It will cause next to know inconvenience for US fans. The PPV will be on in the middle of the afternoon. Whereas in the UK we have to stay up until 4am, and then go to work the next day, I have no option to record as I don't have a phone-line.

Also, why if Raw is taped live in the UK can't we have it live at that time on Sky instead of having to stay up until 4:15?

If PPV companies really wanted to they could put the event on tape delay in the US, it will be the exact same concept.

Many fan's from the UK and Ireland can not afford a trip to the US to attend a PPV. I feel the WWE owes it to their fans over seas to host an annual PPV.

I went to Wrestlemania 28, and it cost me £731 for a hotel & flights, and I had £500 ($736) spending money, $235 (£150) for the WM ticket & $68 (£46) for WM Axcess ticket, and it took me a year to save up for it.

What Mecca is to muslims, WM is my Mecca, at least ONCE in my life I went to Wrestlemania.:worship:

You are right it would be nice for WWE to hold a PPV over here, but unlike Summerslam 92 when the summer weather back then would last the summer, in recent years summer weather has been most pissing down the rain, it would make no sense to hold WM in outdoor stadium (which the trend is now)

Sky TV & WWE wont even show Raw live when it broadcasts over here because the USA audience is more important to WWE, so I dont think we have a snowball chance in hell they would ever consider holding a PPV here.

Even if they did it would have to be Cardiff or Wembley with the roof on as again ya cant rely on the weather, but realisticly it would probably be O2 arena as they wouldnt hold a major PPV here.

I cant remember how much tickets cost to WWE events cost over here these days, as its been a while since ive been to one here, but I bet the price would sky rocket for a PPV.

Nice thinking though, as for me even though going to Miami to see Wrestlemania was awesome, its becoming all a too distant memory for some strange reason.

I'm an American, but I see where the UK fans are coming from..It'll only be a matter of time before WWE does some type of PPV in the UK again..Whether it's in London or Dublin, it's inevitable that WWE will host another PPV there..Maybe in another 5-10 years realistically, though I still see it happening..

It could definitely work. What happened when Wembley Stadium held Summerslam 92? What time was that on in the US? You'd have to come to some compromise. We hold the event at say 11pm GMT? That's two hours before we normally get the live shows.

Definitely worth thinking about I think. Obviously the venue couldn't be Old Trafford in Manchester despite holding 75,000 because it always rains. Somewhere with a roof on would be good, maybe the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back