WWE Setting Up Huge Wrestlemania Match For The Four Horsewomen?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE officials are in the midst of setting up a Four Horsewomen vs. Four Horsewomen match for WrestleMania. The match would feature the Four Horsewomen of wrestling, Charlotte Flair, Becky Lynch, Bayley & Sasha Banks against the Four Horsewomen of MMA, Ronda Rousey, Shayna Baszler, Jessamyn Duke & Marina Shafir. The report states that an original plan was slated for this bout to go down for this year's Survivor Series but was pushed back to WrestleMania in order to give Rousey, Baszler, Duke & Shafir more time to get ring ready.

I'm both intrigued and hesitant when it comes to this, if it goes down. On one hand, it'd be a cool spectacle to see Ronda Rousey wrestling in a WWE ring, she still has huge name value even if she's no longer the premiere fighter in the eyes of many that she once was. On the other, WrestleMania continues to devolve from being the premiere wrestling event of the year into a convention of special attractions and part timers. If this match does indeed go down for WrestleMania, then it'll join Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns, John Cena vs Jinder Mahal, if the rumors are true, probably a Triple H match, POSSIBLY an Undertaker match, possibly a Kurt Angle match, possibly a Shane McMahon match and any other former star or stars WWE can coax into a match with a huge paycheck due to Vince's frequent sabotage of modern stars with stop & go pushes, jobbing them out to Attitude Era stars or just generally doing something to stall their momentum.

Rousey is still a huge name and a massive draw, she's also the only one of the MMA Four Horsewomen that has any real star power when you get right down to it. Shayna Baszler is 37 years old, so it's quite likely she'll only be around for a few years anyhow and has a less than stellar MMA record of 15-11. Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir are also pretty much nobodies with records of 3-5-1 and 1-2 respectively; Shafir is only 29 and hasn't fought in close to 2.5 years while Duke has lost her last five fights so at age 31, her MMA career looks to be dead in the water as well.

I don't follow MMA and Rousey is the only one of these women who fans will care about anyhow so I'm wondering if it simply wouldn't be cheaper all around if WWE went for the Rousey vs. Charlotte singles match that's also been discussed at various points.

If this match does go down, and the report seems to indicate that it's pretty much signed, sealed and delivered already, then it looks like Sasha Banks' heel turn might be pushed back again along with her program with Bayley.

This is one time where I'd actually welcome a "celebrity" to wrestle and here's why:

This reminds me of Mike Tyson's involement at WM 14. With Tyson there, Wrestlemania got so much needed coverage from mainstream media and HBK vs Austin felt way bigger. More eyes saw Wrestlemania and more eyes saw Stone Cold beat HBK and lead a new era.

We are currently on an ongoing Women's Revolution. If you really want this thing to really break through, this is what you need. Coverage from mainstream media and a headlining place on the card.

This is not like Big Show vs Shaq, a match that would happen just for the lulz or Snooki wrestling. This match could really help women's wrestling convert into a legit draw.

I was thinking about this does anyone else think that summerslam has become the full time roster's "WRESTLEMANIA" because WRESTLEMANIA it's self for past years has become part time mania.

Meh. Rousey is the draw. I don't care about any of the other three. Maybe WWE can make me care but right now but all I want from that group is Rousey. Are the Horsewomen even a thing in UFC? I don't think of it as much of a thing in WWE. Charlotte spent a year fighting with the rest of them. Have they ever even acted like a faction on WWE television?

And I don't mind most celebrities and special attractions. I thought the Snooki spot was kind of cool. I just don't know why I should care about any of these women besides Rousey.

I understand the criticism in the sense that this is yet another spot taken up for somebody else on the main roster. WrestleMania is inundated with too many part-time attractions these days and it stifles the main roster around the WrestleMania months. But, I actually welcome this a lot. This is a spectacle that I think fans would really want to see, and better yet, it's a spectacle for the women. This is the next big step forward in the women's revolution, and arguably could be its peak. Other than Charlotte, the Four Horsewomen of WWE, for all of their talents, have recently become stagnated by poor booking and writing on the main roster. This could be what they need to boost their stock once again.

You've got to imagine as well that WWE will want both women's championships to be defended too. Asuka is on the main roster, Nia Jax (if she's still here) will be free, Naomi, Natalya, Alexa Bliss and others too. I think the potential for WWE to really bring some mainstream attention to the women at WrestleMania 34 is at an all-time high, and I don't know why you wouldn't want to do it. This isn't like bringing in Snooki. This would provide some value to the full-time women on the roster if done appropriately. I'm hopeful that this happens.

If you took away the celebrities and all the part timers like Taker, HHH, Angle, Brock, Rock, Jericho and now Cena etc from Wrestlemania I don't believe the event would sell very well, For the sake of fairness the full timers who work all year should be the ones having the Wrestlemania matches but WWE is a business and at the end of the day not many on the current roster could carry a financialy sucessful Wrestlemania on their own.

Doesn't really interest me tbh. I wouldn't mind if it took place at Summerslam but I'd much rather see Rousey take on Asuka as they are both hard-hitting dominant females who are well versed when it comes to submissions & kicks and it would be more intriguing to watch. And if anyone is gonna end Asuka's streak, there's no one more legit and credible than Ronda Rousey though I know that would be unpopular with fans like Taker & Brock was as they'd rather see someone like Becky end it to get her more over.

I think it would be too convulated to do an 8 women and it would take away from Rosey having her first match in WWE. As others have mentioned Rosey is the draw and is the one who is going to make headlines. So why would you want to bring in who ever the three are who are non wrestlers and only the hardcore MMA fans care about?
Their's probably handful of Women on the main roster who she could work with like Charlotte, Asuka, Nia, Bliss, Natalya. But the biggest draw would be Ronda Rosey vs Stephanie McMahon. They have already had some build up with the segment at Wrestlemania 31. It would be a truly memorable Wrestlemania moment to have Stephanie McMahon get beat up by Rosey on the grandest stage of them all.

I have little to no interest in this match because I can honestly say I've never heard of the 3 other women from MMA besides Rousey. And if you're going to use her at Mania, why not have her settle unfinished business against Stephanie McMahon that was started at WM31? I'd even be ok with a mixed tag of The Rock & Ronda vs. Triple H & Steph.

I would book Charlotte vs. Becky for the Smackdown Women's Title and probably also book Sasha and Bayley against each other as well (either 1 on 1 or part of a fatal 4-way for the Raw Women's Title with Alexa and Asuka) with Sasha turning heel as it's been rumored for a while and it's easy to picture with her character growing kind of stale recently.

This has potential. "Horsewomen VS Horsewomen" when combined with how well known Rhonda is, sells itself. I do have a few problems with it though.

Firstly.... Other than Rhonda, no one other than those who are big MMA fans will have ever heard of her three allies. I personally don't care about any of the MMA Horsewomen except for Rhonda. I would rather it just be Rhonda who is competing while the other three are in her corner. As for they face, that's a little tougher if it's just a 1 VS 1 match. Stephanie maybe? Becky does also come to mind or Charlotte even though I would much rather see them both in a title match. Speaking of the title matches, that brings me to my next point.

Another problem I would have with this match is that it ties up four of the best women on the main roster in this match when they would be deserving of title opportunities. You could easily do Becky VS Charlotte for the Smackdown Women's Championship and Bayley VS Sasha for the Raw Women's Championship on the same card. Alexa VS Asuka is the only match they really could do for the Raw side in this scenario. Emma's gone. Nia should not be anywhere near the title and Dana's not ready for it. Mickie again maybe but they just did that feud. Smackdown is in an even worse spot here. Who would they even push into a title match that actually deserves it? Naomi sucks. Tamina sucks. Carmella's not ready yet, although I expect a cash-in before Wrestlemania. Natalya VS Carmella is not exactly a Wrestlemania level match, however it is the best they have for the blue side if the Four Horsewomen are unavailable.

My last problem and a distant third in terms of how big of an issue it is, would be the possibility of Rhonda's team winning this thing. The celebrities almost always win. How bad would it make WWE and the REAL Four Horsewomen look if they lose to celebrities? Sure, Rhonda is genuinely 100% believable in defeating every single woman in the WWE in a match. We're talking about a great female alliance here in the Four Horsewomen. WWE should not be made to look inferior to MMA. That's more of me being nitpicky than anything. If the match does happen as a 4 VS 4 then I would mark out for Rhonda but mostly ignore the rest of her team, and show my full support for the true Four Horsewomen, the ones from WWE. I can honestly say the match would be a big deal regardless of who wins.

Like some other people, I'm more interested in Ronda Rousey than either of the three of MMA horsewomen. Shayna looked fine in Mae Young Classic but I don't think MMA Horsewomen are comparable to WWE Horsewomen. May be I don't know much about the former but I would rather see Ronda Vs. Asuka/Charlotte than this multi-women match.

And I agree with Dagger. If this match actually happens, MMA girls shouldn't win. That would be wrong, at least for me.

Sounds like a great idea on paper but I am worried about the lack of in-ring experience with the MMA women. Shayna Baszler is the only one with pro-wrestling experience I think but even so she's still to green to carry a match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back