2011 NBA Finals Game 2 6/2/2011

The Holy One

What's really good?
Well it's finally here after one of the most exciting years in the NBA, the end has arrived.

Dallas-Mavericks-vs-Miami-Heat-20115-456x300.jpg

GAME 2

Probably the most hated franchise in NBA history:

The Miami Heat

MiamiHeatTrio.jpg

There were no fireworks or hydraulic lifts or screaming proclamations this time -- just three guys shooting in an empty arena.

The night before their first NBA Finals as teammates, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh came together for a last private session. Having traveled such a long road since they had their oft-criticized introduction party inside AmericanAirlines Arena in July, their desire to get back together was partly symbolic and partly a collective deep breath.

For an hour or so they worked and sweated and laughed. Later on, teammate Erick Dampier arrived because, well, they needed a rebounder. Most of these now commonplace late-night shooting sessions in the NBA take place in practice gyms. But for this occasion the Miami Heat players pulled some strings and got a few lights flipped on in the arena bowl.

The Finals logos and signage now scattered across the place glowed, an effect that pulled the guys into the moment. This, after all, is what they'd come down this road to do -- to play together in the Finals.

It wasn't hard to work up the emotion.

Twenty-four hours later, the clock nearing midnight again, the time they'd spent in the quiet gym was back on their minds.

"This is what last night was about," Wade said to a friend sitting courtside during free throws when there were three minutes to play and Game 1 against the Dallas Mavericks in the balance.

Seconds later Wade came up with a crucial block on Shawn Marion, who'd been a thorn in the side of the Heat throughout the evening. Wade then raced to the other end and calmly, confidently fired in a 3-pointer.

Then he delivered a laser pass to Bosh for a dunk.

Then he floated a lob to James for a dunk.

As the Heat's three stars embraced on the floor after the 92-84 victory, basking in their collective strong finish, they knew it was just the start of what promises to be a hotly contested Finals. They also knew they're now just three wins away from the dream they started to imagine last summer.

James, Wade and Bosh did in Game 1 exactly what they usually do. They came together to apply rarely relenting pressure to the opponent. They traded off scoring, rebounding, passing and defending until the other guys cracked.

The totals from Tuesday night were 65 points, 28 rebounds, 14 assists and three blocks. In a game in which all of those were at a premium, it felt even more impressive than the stats indicate.

"Obviously, that's one of the ideas of us playing together," Wade said. "For one individual to not have to carry that load."

Dirk Nowitzki played strongly for the Mavericks, putting up 27 points and eight rebounds despite severing a tendon in his left hand late in the game. Marion was excellent, too, with 16 points and 10 rebounds. But in Game 1 -- like the Philadelphia 76ers, Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls before them -- the Mavericks couldn't overcome the triple threat.

Not many have since mid-March, when the Heat began to find the rhythm with their three oft-discussed free agents after months of tinkering. The Heat are 28-6 since their five-game hiccup, a spring of discovery that grows only more impressive as the stakes increase.

"It's a very confident feeling," said Bosh, who had 19 points and nine rebounds. "Just to know that we have each other's back … we just believe in each other so much. We've worked so hard that you just know who is in the foxhole with you."

The game unfolded the way many have in this postseason for the Heat, with their stars rotating through the spotlight.

First, it was Bosh's play in the first half as he continues to act like he's done all of this before, even if technically he's the most inexperienced star in the series. Bosh carried over his confidence from the Eastern Conference finals and put up 13 points with seven rebounds during the choppy first half when the Heat looked lost at times against the Mavericks' zone, and Wade and James struggled to get good looks.

Then, in the third quarter, it was James taking charge, showing off the massively improved jumper and a new confidence on long shots under pressure that has defined his postseason. He made three 3-pointers in the third quarter to score nine of his 24 points and put the Heat into the lead after they'd fallen behind by nine points.

The last one was part luck and part talent, as James pivoted and jumped backward to nail a long 3-pointer that gave the Heat badly needed separation going to the fourth quarter.

"I knew what he was going to do," Wade said of James' rainbow 3-pointer. "Not many guys can make that."

Wade's second half was on par with some of his performances the last time he saw Dallas in the NBA Finals back in 2006. He scored 15 of his 22 points after halftime, breaking out of a several-games-long slump during the third quarter that included two crucial driving baskets that snapped the Mavericks' best run of the game.

But he did his best work in the fourth. With James and Bosh having done most of the heavy lifting, Wade took control and tapped into an energy stream he seemed to have been saving for the past several weeks. His three baskets, including that 3-pointer, were important. But his three rebounds, three assists and that statement block broke the Mavericks' backs.

"He's such an explosive offensive player that he spoils you a little bit," Bosh said. "You kind of look for that every game. When it comes, you're like 'OK, here it is.'"

The same could be said for all of them. The Heat's so-called "big three" are delivering under the hot lights and scrutiny. For everything that happened last summer and during most of the regular season, when adversity ate at them daily, their reputations are being crafted now.

They just got one win closer to being able to have a celebration that no one can begrudge.

"We always said we would figure it out," James said. "We always believed in our abilities."

VS

One of the best teams in the past decade yet to win a title:

The Dallas Mavericks

Dallas-Mavericks-Have-Thrown-Lakers-Into-Huge-Downfall.jpg

Few secrets exist this late in the playoffs, and no one needs to tell Jason Terry that the two key areas the Dallas Mavericks must win to have any shot against the Miami Heat are bench scoring and 3-point shooting.

"We've got to win those battles," Terry said prior to the Mavericks' 92-84 Game 1 loss.

Those categories fall largely on the 6-foot-2 streak shooter, and Tuesday at AmericanAirlines Arena was not Terry's night.

The sixth man and the rest of the Mavs' reserves, the NBA's highest-scoring bench during the regular season, struggled for just 17 points, their lowest output of the postseason. Terry accounted for 12, all in the first half. He hit three of five shots from deep, and the Mavs went to halftime up one.

Then the Heat came with a little second-half surprise. Jason Terry, meet LeBron James.

The powerful, 6-foot-8, 250-pounder took on Terry and shut him down.

"That was something unexpected," Terry said. "Now that we know that's one of their adjustments, we'll take a look at that."

There won't be much to see. James had Terry under wraps. The Mavs' second-leading scorer got off just three shots in the second half, all in the fourth quarter and all well off the mark.

On consecutive possessions midway through the fourth quarter with Miami having surged in front 75-69, Terry missed an off-balance baseline jumper and overshot a 3-pointer from the corner off a pass from Dirk Nowitzki out of a double-team. His only other attempt was an errant 2 with 2:05 to go.

James, an all-defensive first-team selection, throttled Chicago Bulls speed demon Derrick Rose in the Eastern Conference finals. The Mavs can ill-afford to have their top 3-point shooter bottled up with Nowitzki fighting off swarms and with simply getting off shots -- the Mavs took just 67 -- hard to do.

"If I need to be on Terry or anyone on their team, I try to take the challenge," said James, whose overall damage included outshooting all of the Mavs' 3-point aces with four of his own. "It's never me just guarding someone individually. But I do take the challenge on any individual matchup that I'm against.

"And tonight happened to be Terry mostly in the second half."

Still, Terry is only one man, and this loss stretched across the bench. Terry finished 3-of-10, better than the 1-of-12 from the rest of the bench. J.J. Barea got in the lane, but he couldn't finish. He made one of eight shots.

Peja Stojakovic did not get off to an encouraging start, missing all three of his shots, all 3-pointers, in less than 15 minutes of action. If Stojakovic can't drop his 3-pointer, he might not have a place in this series. There isn't a good defensive matchup, which forces the Mavs to mix in a lot of zone with Stojakovic on the floor, especially with Terry and Barea.

"We rely on our bench a lot. They are a big part of our game," said Jason Kidd, who had three of Dallas' nine made 3s on 22 attempts. "Tonight they just didn't shoot the ball well."

The Heat defense, with James and Dwyane Wade hounding the perimeter, had a little something to do with the Mavs' 37.3 percent overall shooting.

"They're physical," Kidd said. "They're not going to let you get to your spot. They're going to be physical and make sure that you got to go to your second move, and that's what they did tonight."

Heat guard Mario Chalmers found the soft spot in the Mavs' zone in the corner. He hit three first-half 3-pointers and matched Terry's 12 points. Udonis Haslem added seven points and six rebounds, and Mike Miller hit two 3-pointers as the Heat bench, the league's lowest-scoring in the regular season, outscored Dallas' four-man bench by 10.

Despite the bench getting outscored for the second consecutive game (Oklahoma City won the battle 40-36 in Game 5 of that series), Terry said the Heat's quick closeouts at the 3-point arc weren't at the root of the problems. The Mavs, Terry said, just missed shots.

"A lot of them, we had opportunities and we just didn't make them," Terry said. "Those opportunities will be there in Game 2."

However, Terry's shooting has been on the decline. He shot just 36.9 percent in the West finals, and perhaps more troubling are his fourth-quarter numbers throughout the playoffs. Dallas continues to play tight games that can swing on a big 3-pointer like the one Wade buried for an 82-73 lead with 3:06 to play.

Terry was 0-of-3 in Tuesday's fourth quarter, dropping him to 28.6 percent (14-of-49) from the floor in the fourth quarters this postseason. He's shooting 22.7 percent (5-of-22) from 3-point range. Terry takes great pride in being a fourth-quarter scorer, holding up four fingers before the start of the final period.

"I don't think I had as many opportunities in the second half as I did in the first," Terry said. "Again, I was in transition, looking to be aggressive, and those same opportunities weren't there."

There's no secret why. Terry and the Mavs will have to come up with an answer for James.

"Please believe," Terry said, "we will be aggressive in Game 2."

LeBron and the Heatles (don't like the nickname) took Game 1 from the Mavs thanks in a large part of the Big Three especially during crunch time when D-Wade and James took over to lead the Heat to a 92-84 win. Also contributing to the Heat were Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, Joel Anthony, Juwan Howard (Fab Five still lives!), and Mario Chalmers whether it was much needed bench points or the crucial edge in rebounding including a 16-6 lead in offensive rebounding.

A key in the Mavs lost was the loss of Jason Terry in the second half as he missed everything and I do mean everything. Also, with Barea joining Terry in the miss attempts, the only constant for the Mavs was Dirk who suffered to have a torn tendon in his middle finger on his non shooting hand.

Can the Mavs strike back and even the series?
Will the hurt middle finger affect Dirk?
Will Terry show up in the second half?
Can the Heat continue to back up all the pre-season hype?
Who will get more viewers: this game or iMPACT Wrestling?

I'll attempt to watch both.

There will be more wives forced to watch this game than total viewers for Impact. Was that really a question?

Oh, and Terry will show up in the second half today.

More of a lame attempt at joke than anything else but I like yours better than mines. The Jet better show up along with Barea and Peja.

More of a lame attempt at joke than anything else but I like yours better than mines. The Jet better show up along with Barea and Peja.

All of those guys missed VERY makeable shots in game 1. It wasn't as though they were blanketed. If even half those shots go in, it's a much different game. I'd expect Dallas' ball movement to still be solid, so if they can get the makeable shots to fall, I think they have a very good chance at winning the game tonight.

They always have a good chance at winning when the shots go in. The series against the Lakers and Thunder proved that. I'm actually more worried about Dirk now, insane I know, but I do question how that finger will affect him.

I hope the Heat payed that chick for singing the National Anthem, bitch is gonna need the money for braces.

Dallas defense has been really impressive tonight forcing turnovers which lead to easy buckets and without having Miami shoot a free throw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back