Best Face and Best Heel on the Mic

crazymike0907

Occasional Pre-Show
(Sorry if a thread similiar to this has been created already)

As everybody knows, cutting a promo in the WWE is one of the most important things to be able to do in order to be successful. Whether it be a trash talker that downs the fans of whatever state or city they are in. Or a guy that get's the crowd riled up and cheering their name. Cutting a promo is one of, if not the best way to add fuel to the fire of a feud and to keep the storyline interesting and fresh.

So, I am just curious who everyone thought was the best face on the mic and the best heel on the mic, past or present. What person gets the crowd riled up and gets them cheering like maniac's whenever they touch a microphone. What person gets the crowd booing like crazy, yet you always watch their promo's because they are actually that good on it? Just want some opinions...

While there are many faces that come to mind me for, my first thought, and maybe because I just saw this person, but I have to go with The Rock. I don't believe he's ever screwed up during a promo or tripped over his own words. He was so fluent on the microphone he just seemed like a natural from the beginning. And all of his catch phrases caught on with the crowd and they loved every one of em. It was freakin' crazy how much of a reaction he got this past Monday on RAW. The Rock knows how to work a crowd, face or heel, but I feel his best work comes when he is working the crowd as a good guy, and not many people in my opinion can match microphone skills with The Great One.

Now, as for heel, I actually have two people with a lot of other notable candidates. Guys like "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase, Jake "The Snake" Roberts" and a heel Triple H. But for me, there are two people that immediately come to mind. First off, there is Vickie Guerrero. As soon as the crowd hears "EXCUSE ME" they just go ballistic and drown Vickie out. I don't believe I have ever heard somebody get the amount of boo's she gets whenever she comes out. And she plays off of it so well. The crowd just simply cannot stand her, but I guess that means she's doing her job.

Second heel that comes to mind for me is Chris Jericho. To me, this guy, like The Rock, was also an absolute NATURAL on the microphone. Few people could talk on the stick like Chris Jericho could. His face work was good too, but I feel him as a heel was more over. Sure, at times he seemed whiney and annoying, but again, that's how his heel character was supposed to be, and he played it to a T. Jericho is also one of them guys that just sounded so fluent on the microphone. Whenever Chris would grab a microphone, I would feel forced to listen because he was just that good.

So who all do you feel is the best Face & Heel on the microphone? Again, if this has already been posted I do apologize.

Ric Flair was the best, face and heel to cut promos. It didn't matter what side of the fence he was on. He had David Crockett in tears of laughter and excitement. That is tell you, HE IS THE BEST!

It's very simple, at least in my opinion.

Best Face = The Rock - Nobody else comes close. Not Austin, not Jericho. Nobody.
Best Heel - The Rock (2003) - At the drop of a dime, he went from top face to top heel with ease and drew some amazing heat. I wish this character lasted longer than it did.

The Rock proved in twenty minutes this past Monday Night that no one even comes close! Face or Heel The Rock ruled the mic and the crowd every time he was on screen.

Flair, Jericho, and Austin were able to shine good guy or bad on in the mic as well. I think while DX was humorous as faces both HBK and HHH were at their best on the mic when they are portraying heel characters.

At the moment, I'd say..

Face: Triple H. This guy has never irritated me like Cena and Edge do on the mic, being all show and not enough content.

Heel: Jericho hands down. Miz is an upcoming Jericho IMO, so in some time who knows, I might change my answer ;)

But of all time I don't think it's arguable. The Rock is miles better than anyone back then and this week on Raw showed that he's still the best there ever was. (nobretreference)

if were talking about allll time the BEST is def the rock austin got the crowd going but he wasnt as good... if ur talking about favorites ill say CHRISTIAN hes funny!! wen he came back on ecw jack swagger was champ...i just remember him makin fun of his lisp... jack thwagga!! thufferin thuckatath!! stuff like that make him really entertaining n he should be CHAMP!!!!

I think the Rock is clearly the standout for babyface promos, he always gets the fans to join in and they simply love everything he says. He is funny, entertaining and always seems to get his point across.

Other mentions of great faces are Stone Cold, Mr Anderson and I hate to say it but Cena. All of these seem to get great reactions, in Mr Andersons case he was so good at talking and entertaining that he had to be turned face in TNA although he will try to be a heel again soon. Cena can be very entertaining on the mic when he can be himself but in recent years he has had to go soft as he is the face of PG.

Best Heels for me would be CM Punk, simply awesome on the mic and can always get the fans pissed at both his actions and his promos. I personally love Ric Flair as a heel, he never ceases to amaze me with all the bollocks he spews from his mouth. Finally I will say Bubba Ray Dudley (Controversial I know). Bubba really knows what buttons to push, he enrages the fans by taunting them, abusing them and even scaring them. Bubba is a great Heel.

The best face promo cutter ever was Stone Cold Steve Austin in my opinion with The Rock being a close second. While nobody can match The Rock when it comes to funny promos, I think that Austin did a much better job than him when it came down to serious promos. Austin could sell the intensity of a feud very well, he is probably the best at serious promos, as well as make people laugh.

The best heel promo cutter of all time is Ric Flair, in my opinion. He was simple yet effective and was a perfect fit for his times. He could make fun of his opponent yet be intense if the situation demanded him to be serious. I would give second place to Vince McMahon. He was a bit more over the top than Flair and had great expressions and body language.

My picks are as fallow:
1. Face - HHH, he is very straight forward and believable and excellent speech.
2. Tweener - The Rock, he showed that on his RAW return. He is the best at complaining about people that complain.
3. Heel - Ric Flair, he is at a whole other level cutting promos as a heel. Let's be honest he took flamboyant and attitude to a whole other level.

There are a few you can choose from:
Face - Rock, Austin, Hogan and I'll even say Shawn Micheals.
Heel - Flair, HHH, Jericho, and Miz

My favorite's have been Jericho and Rock. Those guys made wrestling "Real" for a minute. When I met Chris Jericho, I asked him, "how can you cut such a great promo everytime you do it????" His answer was short, sweet, and to the point, "Practice, kid"
To this day I practice, I watch his promos all over youtube, an on my videos and dvds. Chris Jericho is the single most well rounded greatest wrestler ever in my opinion.

i thnk its the rock in both ways with austin a close second as a face and flair and hhh as close seconds as heels.

rocks face promos r all scattered arnd wwe history whereas his heel promos. check em out frm the nation and corporation days as well as his hollywood gimmick in 2003.

as hard as this is to pick one i will (even though some have picked many)
face: rock he made crowd laugh and always had the crowd roaring, as a heel and wanting you to hate them Vicki Guerro, edge and ziggler owe her alot for making people hate them...this woman knows how to make people hate her, easily the best female manager and GM. can any1 honestly remember some1 who is pure hated, some heels get the odd cheer, not one cheer for her in her whole career. i know she aint wrestler but still heel character unreal at it!!!!

Imho, u really cannot compare John Cena or anyone really that's been around since2Austin and ofcourse the Rock. It's surprises me how many ppl r shocked at how good the rock did monday, and/or how into it the crowd was. This is because, reallly, those had 2 b the 2 most undebateable certainties going into monday night... Duude, Its THE ROCK!

I was however, caught off guard that it took him so little time to address 'th cena situation.' That's awesome. Not only that, but he basically said what I opened this post with. IMO that put him over the top w th live crowd and everyone watching really.

Neone who don't agree w the rock being one of if not the best (THE BEST!!) stick-man ever, is basically admitting that they didn't watch wwe b4 2004. Sorry posers.

My noteables:
Face: Rock, Austin, Michaels, and Jericho(thats right.).
Heel: Flair, HHH, Angle, Jericho, Rock, Austin, Michaels, really. Definately Bret Hart mid-1997 w/ the foundation. Even tho it contradicts what i said above, Randy Orton honorable mention 4heel, esp going into WM25 v the whole mcmahon family and HHH.

This thread, imo, really gotta keep in mind what Jericho(my personal all-around fave since 1997) always says on the subject, which makes perfect sense:
'It's much easier 2 b hated than it is 2 b loved.'
-Y2J, Undisputed

Best Face: The Rock.

Let's face it people, the Rock is the most electrifying man in all of entertainment. That's not just a silly catch-phrase. The Rock can have people hanging on to his every word, movement, and action. Give me one reason, anybody who wants to try, as to who was better than the Rock and I'll give you 10 as to why the Rock was the best.

Best Heel: The Rock.

Remember the Rock as the leader of the Nation of Domination? I'll give you a quote he said to Chyna, who was really popular at that point in time. "Put her down on her knees where she belongs. I'll tell you what Chyna, you look so comfortable down there it almost looks like a natural position." Remember the Corporate Rock? If you people do, then you remember going down Know Your Role BLVD. and hanging that right at Jabroni DR. and then checking D I R E C T L Y into the Smackdown Hotel.

He was/is the best promo guy of all the times.

The Rock as both face and heel.

But despite him I would have to say...

Face: Austin/Eddie Guerrero/Macho Man/Jericho.

I don't think you can go wrong with those guys.

Heel: Triple H/Vince/JBL/Angle

WoW to me that everybody is jumping on the bandwagon. About a month ago, I made a poll about who was the greatest on the mic, yeah rock won the poll, but that because the poll didn't include guys like flair, piper, and foley, not to mention that some people questioned his ability to cut a serious promo, not only that, but they also complianed about overusing his catchphrases. But things have changed after monday night huh?
EVERYBODY LOVE THE ROCK!!AND EVERYBODY THINK THAT HE'S THE GREATEST ON THE MIC BASED ON THAT 20 MIN SEGMENT!! lol that's pathetic. The way you people were shocked(Rock controlling the crowd the way he did monday) explains alot. And guess what I wasn't shocked at all, and that because unlike most of the people here I've been following rock since the 90's, and I know his capablity when it comes to cutting promos.

HERE COMES THE WAGONERS!!:rolleyes:

Well my first choices would be Rock and Austin so I'm going to leave them out because they've been well covered over and over by many people.

Face - Hulk Hogan - Just plain, THE man in the 80s!

Heel - Captain Lou Albano. Before the WWF turned him into comical Captain Lou, the heat he generated was unbelievable, especially as he was just a manager,

Other great heel was Shawn Michaels (circa 1997 or 2005) showed, at both times, the perfect way to get heat and weave a bit of real life into the storylines without giving too much away. A Genius.

Classic Flair was a great heel too (1994 Flair onwards....not so much)

The Rock in my opinion is the best face and heel on the mic of all time the reasons are fairly self explanatory. ON the current roster however i would say
Face- Christian (I'm one of his peeps)
Heel- Edge, CM Punk, Jericho (if hes still counted as being on the roster)

best face - steve austin, or the rock without a question.
best heel - i may get arguments, but i would have to say kane, he has the sort of....well...how you say twisted passion in a maniac way that just comes together amazingly.

I think that the rock is the best face or heel at comedy and crowd participation promos. I think ric flair was the best at the cocky heel style. Hulk Hogan was the best at being the hero/kiss ass with an honarable mention to cena. The best manager talker of alltime to me was Bobby Heenan.

Top Face All-Time: The Rock
Top Face Currently: John Cena

Top Heel All-Time: Chris Jericho
Top Current Heel: CM Punk

Jericho being the top heel on the stick of all time may be a stretch, with Flair, Vince McMahon and all but I'll give it to him. He really is amazing. And also, CM Punk is so much better on the mic than The Miz that it's not even funny.

Another difficult one. There have been many in recent memory who are a given as being renowned as having exceptional mic work; The Rock, Stone Cold, John Cena, Chris Jericho, Ric Flair to name but a few. But for me I am torn between two old school stalwarts, namely:

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts His delivery was intense, cerebral, psychological, cold, devious and always relevant to his character. Whether portraying a heel or a face he always delivered with a dark charisma. I think it was Paul Heyman who summed him up the best when he said that Jake Roberts truly had 'it', that he came through the camera and captivated the audience. I couldn't agree more with that summary.

Rowdy Roddy Piper His fiery and passionate demeanour provided some of the sickest promos I have ever seen. He was crazy, aggressive, callous, temperamental yet honest with his promos. He said what he was going to do, and backed that up by doing exactly what he said he was going to do. Like Roberts, Piper always delivered in his promos no matter what side of the fence he was fighting on.

I'm struggling to single one out, so I simply refuse too. They are two of the finest. The types of promo delivery that todays stars should be aspiring to produce.

An honourable mention is CM Punk. I have always been a fan of his work and am impressed with how much he has come on in the last couple of years. He is a throw back to the old school mentality, with a new school shine. I hope he continues to grow in the same manner so he can be considered by everyone as being the best in these types of debates in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back