Who is the greatest mic worker in the history?

The greatest on the mic?

• Hogan

• Austin

• Rock

• HBK

• HHH

Results are only viewable after voting.
Of all the ones listed to vote for I say The Rock is hands down the best. I would have included Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Chris Jericho, and Brian Pillman on the list as well because I believe they are some of greatest wrestling "talkers" of all time.

on the list, easily Rock, but im surprised no one has mentioned Jake! Jake the snake was amazing on the mic, as was piper... Both those guys did more than just pitch a few catchphrases that would make you laugh. It's easy to make someone laugh in wrestling, but to genuinely creep ppl out and scare them is a talent and those two were a couple of the best... they not only would creep ppl out or scare them at times, but they also would have you almost thinking it's real, or at least thinking they believe it to be so haha

Of the listed choices, Rock has to be the winner. Yes he may have relied on catchphrases, but the point is to get a reaction from the crowd, and no one could do it better as a face or heel. Triple H may have done slightly better heel promos in his prime, but Rock was better overall.

Of the unlisted names, Piper and Jericho have got to be at the top of the list. And I'll add one more personal favorite, THE FRANCHISE, SHANE DOUGLAS. He carried ECW for a long while and was brilliant on the mic.

Quite easily The Rock at #1, I mean no other wrestler has been as entertaining on the mic. Somone said that Foley does better promos because they're emotional but I'm afraid that The Rock's gimmick could never allow him to be emotional which is a slight disadvantage the Great One had to deal with.

Anyway when someone speaks on the mic I always feel that they're supposed to be entertaining maybe because promos come under the Entertainment part of World Wrestling Entertainment.

Foley, Piper, HBK and Cena all derserve honorable mentions but I feel that The Rock is quite easily the best on the mic.

Despite Austin, HHH, HBK, and the Rock all being great on the mic it's between Flair and Piper for me. Rock relied to much on his catch phrases, but he made it so damn entertaining. His promos were all great, so much energy, and just so entertaining (did I mention that?)

Both HBK-HHH are highly underrated on the mic, people say HBK is great on the mic but they don't give him enough credit. Triple H is better on the mic than i nthe ring in my opinion, and as a face or heel he would make me laugh, and would just be entertaining...

Austin, I don't know, I really like Stone Cold, he was great on the mic but I wouldn't put him ahead of The Rock, Piper, or Flair.

1. Roddy Piper

2. Ric Flair

3. The Rock

4. Stone Cold

5. Triple H

6. Shawn Michaels

I'm curious as to what others think about wrestlers such as Kane and The Undertaker? How do you think they were on the mic?
Now, common sense would lead anyone to know that if I bring them up...then I probably would consider one of both of them up near the top. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying that either of them were the best because I don't believe they were. But everytime I see a promo from either one...it definitely get's my attention...What do you all think?

if you looking for Entertainment Comic promo then go with The Rock but if you looking for serious kind of promo then Austin....The Rock got completely Owned by Austin in 1999. i have to put hogan above Rock in top 3 and flair, Hogan is abit overrated in wrestling department but he got over in MIC department get people to cheer for him even in Rock vs Hogan fued where the people turn on The Rock chanting rocky suck at WM18.

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin ROASTS Hulk Hogan!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXm25q9v2eE ...if you put this 2 guys together have a fued in battle of word they would break all PPV record-money making,

I think The Rock takes it by a country mile. Rock's promos are legendary, his catchphrases are memorable, and I know for a fact that he was more talented than anybody else to ever step foot in a wrestling ring. Rocky had a natural charisma, a natural talent on the mic, he could literally go out there and talk on the mic for the entire show and I wouldn't get bored. He was funny and witty, he never failed to entertain me. Rock also possessed the talent of improvisation, he could come up with stuff off the top of his head, he was brilliant. Rock is by far the greatest on the mic, he is a legend.

have you see Jake "the snake" Robert promo? he's on top of the list the UNSCRIPTED-IMPROVISED stuff from him is legendary... rock great on the mic and he did entertainment but not that great when you compare to Jake and plus rock doesn't
improvisation not until late 99 and you started to see his promo becomes naturally...poll didn't put Jake and people failed to mention in there is shocking. please keep in mind that 80's stars never scripted-improvised unlike in 90's and that's why you see Steve Austin is one of the first guy able to make Legendary promo @ king of the ring 96 and make name for him self and slowly others follow that road.

greatest mic worker doesn't have many catchphrases in there promos and they always came up new things like The Rock who use same stuff everytime for instance when ROck meet NWO ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF7iX868Nzc ) he should have making fun of NWO or trash them but he goes in said same stuff we hear it all the time "stick it up people ass". top 3 greatest mic worker like Flair-Jake would improvised in that segment, Rock is funny in that segment but not great when you compare with them

From the list I went with HBK. Hogan was just a goof to me, HHH wouldn't make my top 30, Austin was my second pick on the list, and while he was funny I was never a big Rock promo guy. He was just to much of a comedy guy which I thought worked well as a face but didn't work as well for him as a heel in my opinion.

Now from the last 30 years I'd picked:

Flair
Piper
Michael Hayes
Dusty
Lawler
Jake Roberts
Masked Superstar
Arn Anderson
Tully Blanchard
Terry Funk

Well none of that list would be my favourite mic worker. Picking from that list it would probably be Austin, because although Rock was funny, to be fair mainly it was the same stuff week in and week out.

I'll nominate some other people who I would rather see than the names given. My favourite on the stick ever is Scott Hall. He was articulate, funny and it's not like he lacked a catchphrase. I'd mark out to this day if he said "Hey Yo". He had the surveys as well. I think the often subtle comedy in his promos was brilliant. He got from A to B, and entertained me in doing it. With Rock, you knew ultimately what he was going to say long before he said it. With Hall, there was that element of he could say anything. Even in his last largely unsuccessful stint with TNA, he made me cry with laughter. "I'll be the one looking like Elvis".

Another would be Flair. He's still cutting brilliant promos to this day. The segment he did with Jay Lethal this year was brilliant. He's a veteran but not in a boring way.

And finally, I'll throw Jericho out there. He's got the charisma that Scott Hall had. When he's funny, he's really funny. When he's evil, he's bang on evil.

I'll toss an honourable mention in there for a modern wrestler in Desmond Wolfe. He cuts very British promos that we get. I think he's incredible on mic.

Well none of that list would be my favourite mic worker. Picking from that list it would probably be Austin, because although Rock was funny, to be fair mainly it was the same stuff week in and week out. .

one of another example from the rock is in this segment just came out and deliver his catchphrases on Vince when don't have anything to say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eWaE-RyvPs ..Rock is great on MIC and best damn entertainer which got himself to Hollywwod but not above guys like Austin-Piper-Hogan-Jake-

I never liked The Rock's promos much, it was all hollow T-slogans and mouthy trash talk, and I felt if you had heard one Rock promo you had heard them all.

I'd rate Foley, Jake, HBK, Dibiase and Roddy Piper as the top guys. Hogan for me was the best hyped up promo guy ever and Flair was able to balance out both kinds of promos, Dusty was the slickest with words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back