Best Heel Turn Ever.

My favorite heel turn is what I will be talking about because it's really just an opinion on what we the posters think is the best. So with out further ado I will continue. I think we should be able to count Hulk Hogan's heel turn at WCW's Bash at the Beach 1996.

Since WCW is owned by WWE, I believe that I have the right to use this. Hulk Hogan at the time was the biggest star in all of professional wrestling, he was the most popular babyface character ever at that time. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall were brand new additions to the WCW roster, and were basically hated by everyone. So The Outsiders as they were known as then were boasting about the unveiling of their third member. Everyone was wondering who it was. At Bash at the Beach The Outsiders took on Sting and Randy Savage (too very popular WCW stars) and everyone and their dog wanted to see The Outsider's get their asses kicked. Then when they were in control of the match out comes Hulk Hogan who everyone thought was going to save the day and teach Nash and Hall a lesson. Then all of sudden Hogan drops an Atomic Leg Drop on poor Savage. The crowd went apeshit.

Then we had the classic promo from Hogan talking about his future, and his new, "real" friends in Hall and Nash. Finishing it off by saying the world had witnessed the "New World Order" Thus the nWo was born. The crowd was legitimately pissed off to the point where they threw trash into the ring, and one fan actually tried to get in the ring and fight Hogan and presumably The Outsiders as well. It was the most shocking, perfect heel turn ever and lead to one of the most popular factions off all time and also lead to the biggest wrestling boom in history. Classic.

Austins heel turn in 01' was great and totally unexpected and so was HHH's turn in 02' with the DX tease. In fact when the DX thing happened in 02' i was actually sad and i truly hated triple h (in character) because i was little and i thought i was never gonna see DX again. But besides those two major heel turns, i think Undertaker's heel turn in 2001 was pretty astonishing. Everyone thought that Taker was gonna go out and kick Vince's ass but instead he made JR kiss Vince's ass. Not to mention the heat that he got from the crowd.

Cody Rhodes turning heel on Hardcore Holly to team up with Ted DiBiase!!!!! No, I'm bullshittin:lol:

Seriously,I will list my top five. I dont want to forget one but theres been hundreds of great heel turns.

1. The Rock at Survivor Series `98. He had just completed his face turn, the infamous "Rocky Sucks" chants finally came to a stop. He even delivered a rock bottom/people's elbow to Vince on the previous Raw. Then The Rock joined the Corporation, we had the corporate elbow and "Rocky Sucks" was back.

2. Triple H preigrees Shawn Michaels to destroy the DX reunion we all thought had happened. I was going through so many emotions at the time; sad, bummed, pissed at HHH. But it was obviously for the best because it led to one of the most violent feuds in wrestling history.

3. Stone Cold at Wrestlemania 17. Somehow, I actually saw that coming. IF you dont belive me, thats ok. But I actually said to my dad early that morning, "I bet Austin turns bad tonight."

4. Chris Jericho's turn on HBK in 2008. Because after he rammed Shawn Michaels' head through the JeriTron, he became the best Chris Jericho ever. He became the best in the world at what he does. Do all of you hypocrites and parasties understand what I am saying to you right now?!

5. When HBK was born. Too bad Marty Jannety faded into nothingness afterward. But where would WWE be today had they not pushed Shawn Michaels?

HBK smashing Jannetty through the glass. It's a classic heel turn, if only for the hilarious commentary by Bobby Heenan. "Did you see that, Monsoon? Jannetty tried to dive through the glass to escape! What a coward!"

Also, Jake the Snake turning heel in 91 and having the snake bite Savage. Jake was a great psycho heel.

Have to go with, Triple H pedigreeing HBK to hell after teasing a DX reunion.

Didn't see it coming at all and a great feud with brilliant matches commenced.

Also, Undertaker's turn and making JR kiss Mr McMahon's a** was shocking coz the whole world was gearing up for Taker to beat Vince silly with his pants down!! (kinda)

Sgt. Slaughter turning his back on the USA and joining up with i think it was the russians?

wow.. talk about big shocker there.. i remember being really young at the time and it actually upset me because i was a fan of his! and to see him become a Heel and them feud with Hogan and Warrior..

First off let me say i remember that DX teaser, I was there when that happend it was in Grand Rapids MI(thats the same night The Rock went against Eddie G. in one of The Rock most unforgetable matches). It was badass to see that live and I have never forgot the moment. The best heel turn i can think of is when Stone Cold teamed up with Vince at Wrestlemania 17 that pissed me off so bad.

No fucking way! I was rocking the Van Andel Arena that night too!

Anyway, if we are limiting it strictly to the WWF/E, my pick would be Andre the Giant's heel turn that led to Wrestlemania III. Andre, to the best of my knowledge, had never, ever been a heel, and the motivation for his heel turn was as simple as it was brilliant. He turned heel because he was undefeated for 15 years (yes, we know not really) and never got any title matches. Which, if you think about it, makes a hell of a lot of sense. If I were that dominant, had been so for over a decade, and never even got a chance to get the belt, I would have been pissed too. Without Andre's heel turn, who would Hogan have faced at Wrestlemania? Would the major network attention it got if Hogan had Big John Studd as an opponent instead? I doubt it. Would the WWF/E be able to claim it crammed 93,000 people inside the Silverdome? No way. Andre turning heel was a crucial moment in the history of the WWF.

I'd have to say the most memorable/Best heel turns ever I can recall, was first one I can remember was Hogan joining the NWO. Gosh, even my father was so upset, and I remember seeing the ring being littered with trash from all the fans. My dad, a man of few words, and doesn't let things upset him, was cursing at the tv, and was barring me from watching anything that Hulk Hogan promoted unless he was the opponent in the ring. Wow, to this day, I still remember his anger. :wtf:

Another one I think was a great heel turn was Christian turning on Sting in TNA with the guitar shot to the head at the PPV costing Sting the title. I was like :wtf: Even though you knew he could do it in WWF/E, but with Sting...its like C'mon, your idol that you saved before, why?!

Then I would say another one that got me in the guts was Matt Hardy turning on Jeff Hardy at the Royal Rumble 09, I think. Where he comes out during the title match and hits him with the chair to the head. I was just in shock, then the story after that leading up to WM 25, the stories he told of bringing out the dead dog's leash, etc. Ooohh...

Another one was CM Punk cashing in on a tired Jeff Hardy after his win at Extreme Rules. Then CM Punk slowly creeping closer to becoming full fledged heel and then banishing him after the steel cage match. The following week when he showed up in Hardy face paint, that was just :disappointed:

Then I would say when Batista snapped on Rey at the PPV and just started after him. That was just brutal. Especially for what all they had been through together. Then to add insult to injury, Rey tries to mend it with how they've been friends with the whole Eddie situation, Batista makes a callous comment about Eddie. :wtf: Dude, that just marked it for me. I hadn't been a big fan of Rey before that, but I so cheered him on at that point just to do the whole David vs. Goliath. I wished it would've lasted longer.

pretty straight forward. in your opion, what was the best Heel turn in WWE (WCW dont count here, nor does TNA, sorry guys.) history? yes WWF can count here as well. but what one sticks out most to you?

to me there is 2. the first is when HHH made his return after ripping his Quad, and they teased a DX reunion, which drove the crowd CRAZY! they came out to the DX music, blew the roof off the place. then BOOM HHH kicks Shawn and it's the start of HHH vs HBK all over again.

and of course, the most memorable one for me, and one that shocked the HELL out of me. Stone Cold Steve Austin. Face of the company, loved by MILLIONS. over half the ppl in attendance had Austin swag, or signs. Turns his back on team WWF and joins up with the invading WCW/ECW. (has kinda the same feel as tonight did with the two teams..hmm..) it was proof that you CAN turn the face of the company Heel. and one of the most shocking moments, IMO THE most shocking heel turn in WWE history.

Alright IWC, lets hear what you got to say on it, what is your pic, and why is it your pick?

Best heel turn? well thats easy...the one people STILL talk about a decade later.. Vince Macmahon when he did the montreal screw job and MR. MacMahon character started to come out. Without this character Stone Cold would have have gotten as big as he did. This was his ultimate nemesis.

And to be fair..
For WCW.. it would be Hogans turn to the NWO that single move pushed WCW over the top.

For TNA..None.. they have so many face/heel turns that none have been done real effectivley

Definately Austin joining forces with Vince and Wrestlemania 17, which shocked me so much. I never thought the WWE would turn Austin heel, as he was there biggest money-making machine and fan favourite

It was quite simply one of the most shocking moments I had ever seen in wrestling

Bret Hart's heel turn right before WrestleMania 13 after the cage match between him and Sid Vicious for the WWF Title on RAW. He further solidified his heel turn at the PPV itself, which was quite a shocker to me.

I was honestly tired of the Stone Cold persona when he came back mid/late 2000 and then was extremely hooked when he turned heel at WM-X7

I've never seen a heel who had entertained me legitimately inside and outside the ring up to that point.

Shawn Michaels kicking Marty Janettey through the barbershop window. Back in the day when thought, planning, and common sense were given to storylines

as far as me seeing something live, this had to be it for me.. especially since at that time I was a kid and though wrestlng was real.

hulk hogan joining the outsiders.. i did not see it live, but this changed wrestling.

Well there are a couple that come to mind for myself:

Sgt. Slaughter turning his back on the USA in 1990 when we were at war with Iraq...Slaughter even got death threats during this gimmick.

Bret Hart turning his back on the American fans after Wrestlemania 13 on Raw the next night..he was booed in the US...but cheered everywhere else esp Canada..turned out to be a great gimmick for him considering his popularity decreased following Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin's popularity with the fans.

Steve Austin turning Heel after Wrestlemania 17 with Vince Mcmahon helping him beat the Rock...made him a real bad guy again, but the wimpering of Stone Cold kinda made this heel turn kinda laughable.

But a tie in my opinon for Best Heel Turn:

Vince Mcmahon screwing Bret Hart in Montreal at the Survivor Series..clarified the straight forward heel and straight forward face era of wrestling was no more and really made the attitude era begin and kickoff to a killer start.

Hulk Hogan forming the NWO with Kevin Nash and Scott Hall at Bash of the Beach and turning on Randy Savage and the fans...wanting to change his image of being the ultimate face...made big time of having WCW starting to upstart the WWF for the next couple of years.

This is where I chuck controversy into the mix... Hogan turning his back on the fans and joining up with Hall and Nash. Say what you will about Hogan (and i do slate him... alot) but that turn was the last big "WTF" in wrestling. HHH turning heel? Done that. Austin as a heel? Yeah he had been before. But Hogan turning, that was the first time people saw a darkside to the guy (in ring). Of course there will be people who dispute this, but I think it was the best heel turn in history.

I've got to throw one in that no one's mentioned yet: Randy Savage turning on Hogan before WMV. I still remember marking out at that one. Plus, it was an angle that had been started about a year and a half earlier (when's the next time we'll see long-range planning like that?), and it led to what I still rank as one of the top 5 WM main events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back