Best Promo Work #1

CyDeez

Big Nasty
A lot of guys have cut great promos in their own right. Especially back before The Attitude Era when it was a sin to say Pro Wrestling wasn't REAL! Of course during The Attitude Era Pro Wrestling became known as Sports Entertainment.

But before all of that, you never EVER seen wrestlers come out of character. That made for some great promos. Guys really lived and died by their outlandish gimmicks back then.

I have a comparison of not only 2 separate promos here, but an overall comparison of 2 wrestler's Promo Work. I figured for argument's sake, I would compare 2 wrestlers from 2 different time frames.

The first is Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Underrated in the overall scheme of 80's-90's Pro Wrestling. Never held a World Title, Intercontinental Title or even was one half of The Tag Team Champions. But whatever storyline or feud they had him in was pretty interesting. Whether he was a Heel or a Face. He always cut a promo that was absolutely perfect for what he was going through at the time. And made you either cheer him if he was going after a Heel or HATE him if he was feuding with a Face.

Here is a random example of Jake Roberts' Promo Skills.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5n5inH9U4A&feature=search

The second is Chris Jericho. His accomplishments are well known. From first Undisputed Champion, to Being the BEST at what he does. Chris' ring work has always been good. But Jericho on the mic was usually a different monster. Similar to the guy I am comparing him to, Chris could make you laugh and cheer for him, and could make you just despise him. On a week to week basis even.

Here is a random example of Chris Jericho's Promo Skills...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Cz4CzwJCw&feature=search

This probably won't be the last one of these I do....

But right now I want to compare the Promo Work of Jake "The Snake" Roberts and Chris Jericho!

I posted the link to a promo from each.

Tell me who you think had the better promo of the 2...

AND also tell me who you think was better overall on the mic or at cutting a promo...

IMO jericho was better at the promos--he could make it funny as all getout or so serious you hated the man worse than anything and the man of 1004 holds promo proved it a lot and he mentioned it in his book that he got dean malenko over while the guy was on a hiatus and the imaginary feud with goldberg was classic as well. hard to go wrong with the snake though either

jericho has had the best promos of any man ever in wrestling history, he is one of wwe's all around best performers ever because of his charisma and inring ability, jericho imo by far

Big time Jerichoholic here.

Jake is actually better than I remembered, sounds like maybe Hogan stole a LOT of his delivery from the Snake.

But, unless you count Gillberg or Ralphus, Jericho never took a snake to the ring. The man of 1004 holds is still funny. "Gredunzel" equals classic. He can get you to love him. He can make you hate him. He's so good, he can but heat on heels- he's like Canadian Ben Gay. He's so damn good he could get a guy with a lisp named Ben Gay over.

Hands down, the best in the world at what he do.

Jericho.

Out of the 2 links posted, Jake had the better promo but overall, as great as the Snake Man was at working the stick, Y2J was more diverse with his promo's as he could cut a great comedy promo & a great serious promo. I can't ever recall Jake doing any comedic promo's & I've been a Jake The Snake fan since 88 when he was fueding with Ravishing Rick over Robert's old lady. So I too must choose Jericho ad the better promo guy.

Jericho hands down in promos and back up with excellent ring work to tell a story. He is best overall wrestler in all aspects of the business. He just works so good as a Face, a funny Heel, and even an arrogant Heel. I still love the bet between him and Christian for 1 Canadian dollar which would score with Lita / Trish just great stuff.

Jericho, by 1004 miles.

Nothing against Jake The Snake but had you not included that YouTube link, I'd have trouble remembering a Roberts promo.

Conversely, every wrestling fan remembers "Hold #712: AAARRMM BARR!!!"

Thanks for that trip down memory lane. :lol:

Out of those two promos Jake's was better, but overall I say Jericho. I grew watching Jake and I think he was great on the mic, and probably had better in ring psychology than most.

I'd say Jericho was better with promos mainly because he's completely changed his persona and promo style a few times. He's been the funny heel and face as Lionheart and Y2J. Now his current no nonsense heel character that's completely different than those previous personas. Jake had the heel and face personas as well, but he didn't change his promo style that much.

Jericho is better ... man who can forget the classic "man of 1004 holds" promo , or him call kurt angle KIRK ANGEL ... and you watch the current jericho.. he's by far the best to work the mic ..

well, obviously in the minority here, heh, but I gotta go with jake as originally mentioned back in the day you couldn't break character.... ever, and I gotta say jake the snake damn close to my favorite of all time, and on promos alone... he had snakes, y2j is funny as hell, or used to be, he's lost some of his charm to me over time, and he is also great at being serious or jus whiney, he really can do it all, but jake to me is like an early austin, good or bad the promo was pretty much the same, serious as all hell and be prepared to get bitten, so as good as jericho is at EVERYthing he does, to me jake was the best at the ONLY thing he did, so I gotta go with him

Lets face it, know one comes close to Ric Flair

Yeah no one comes close to the rambling alzheimer patient. Flair is so overrated, it's not even funny.

But to the point at hand, it's a little unfair to judge between the two, as 95% of current wrestling fans and people on this board didn't start watching until the attitude era. I loved Snak growing up and out of the individual links posted, I'd give it to Snake. But overall it's Jericho... the man can do anything

Jericho was and will always be the best at cutting promos whether a babyface or heel because after all like he says hes the best at what he does and always will be

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back