Calgary Region, First Round: (11) Harlem Heat vs. (54) Hollywood Blonds

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Harlem Heat

• Hollywood Blonds

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Calgary Region. It's a standard tag team match held in the Calgary Saddledome.

front.jpg

11.jpg

11. Harlem Heat

Vs.

04.jpg

54. Hollywood Blonds

Vote for who you feel is the better team. The poll will be open for THREE days starting approximately twenty four hours after this thread is posted. Use the time to argue and defend your choices. In the case of a tie, the team with more written votes will win. Only one vote per user.

Remember that this is a non-spam section and posts that do not meet our spam requirements will not count.

Gotta go with Harlem Heat here. Don't get me wrong, The Hollywood Blonds were awesome, I liked them a hell of a lot more than I ever liked Harlem Heat but considering the longevity of Harlem Heat, the success they had in WCW's Tag Team division and the fact that they were a VERY good and memorable team I got to vote for the team from 110th Street.

The truth is the Hollywood Blonds COULD have been a much more successful team than Harlem Heat but they were split way too soon and because of that their shelf life in WCW was a lot shorter than it should have been. Harlem Heat had a strong run pretty much their entire time together, they were one of the best teams WCW ever produced (WCW specifically, not JCP) and although I prefer the Blonds it shouldn't take away anything from Harlem Heat as I was a pretty big fan of theirs as well.

Overall it's really hard to put a team that were only together for 10 months over a team that was together for over 10 years, especially when the latter team was as successful as Harlem Heat.

Gotta go with Harlem Heat here. Don't get me wrong, The Hollywood Blonds were awesome, I liked them a hell of a lot more than I ever liked Harlem Heat but considering the longevity of Harlem Heat, the success they had in WCW's Tag Team division and the fact that they were a VERY good and memorable team I got to vote for the team from 110th Street.

The truth is the Hollywood Blonds COULD have been a much more successful team than Harlem Heat but they were split way too soon and because of that their shelf life in WCW was a lot shorter than it should have been. Harlem Heat had a strong run pretty much their entire time together, they were one of the best teams WCW ever produced (WCW specifically, not JCP) and although I prefer the Blonds it shouldn't take away anything from Harlem Heat as I was a pretty big fan of theirs as well.

Overall it's really hard to put a team that were only together for 10 months over a team that was together for over 10 years, especially when the latter team was as successful as Harlem Heat.

I saw this thread as was ready with my response but this post said everything I was going to say. I loved Austin and Pillman together and would like a reason to vote them into the second round but longevity hurts them. If they were up against another team that lasted about as long as they did I may have voted for the Blonds. I can't do it against Harlem Heat though.

Longevity means dick....in a head to head match up the Blondes would defeat them. Pillman and Austin were better workers in 1993 and would definitely be the team to go over here. Blondes to Round 2.

Longevity means dick....in a head to head match up the Blondes would defeat them. Pillman and Austin were better workers in 1993 and would definitely be the team to go over here. Blondes to Round 2.

One good year does not negate a decade of success. Sure Austin\Pillman were damn good for 93, but that really does not hold a candle to what Harlem Heat accomplished during their run.

10 Tag Titles > 1 Tag Title

That is really all there is to it.

It comes down to who is the better team, and I personally think that was the Blonds. They didn't stay together long, but the shined brightly during that time. Absolutely classic matches with the Horsemen, Steamboat/Douglas and Steamboat/Zenk during the reign. I wished they remained together longer, but Pillman's injury and eventual departure put the kibosh on it.

When I look at The Harlem Heat, however, I see a team that was very good but never really distinguished itself against any teams of note. You're only as good as your opponents. They primarily fought the Nasty Boys, Stars and Stripes, and Dick Slater and Bunkhouse Buck (probably the best of the bunch). I know they eventually had matches against the semi-makeshift team of Sting and Luger and The Steiners but both were kind of past their prime as top teams and it felt like WCW was simply trying to "push" the Harlem Heat to top team status.

I'm taking the Blonds here.

Harlem Heat had staying power, and a star in Booker T... but I've got to agree with the poster above. I never really noticed them distinguish themselves against anyone of note during their entire run. Sure, they held the titles a lot, but it always felt more to me that they were the champs because someone needed to be champs. I compare them somewhat to the Smoking Gunns (same time period, which just sucked for tag team wrestling). The Gunns were champs quite a bit, but honestly wouldn't have even been considered during any time when tag team wrestling was even a little bit hot. Harlem Heat was better than that... but not really by much, and for that I'd blame Stevie Ray. He just wasn't that good.

The Blondes weren't together long, but it's actually quite impressive the impression that they left in the short time they were together. Both Pillman and Austin were such talents, that there was no way they were going to stay together long term, but they came together at the right time in each others careers, and when they got together, they were probably the last truly great tag team to form until the late 90's Attitude Era teams got together.

The Blondes won't win this tournament, but I'd like to see them go further, and I think if matched up together, that Austin and Pillman would have absolutely walked away with an underhanded win.

Nice to see the Blondes getting a little love here and I have to agree. Harlem Heat were a fine team but my vote goes to the Blondes. I can see Sherri doing something stupid to cost the Heat this match. Is the Col. around here?

I voted heat over blondes, but Harlem heat is a pretty overrated team. They got so many tag runs due to timing and the other big teams not wanting to do jobs. There was never a hesitancy about pushing them to jobber to the stars status anytime a team was put together that needed a good win.

I like them but don't see them getting much deeper into this tournament and as the 11th seed they are a sure fire upset pick.

Hollywood Blondes are a fine team, a damn fine team and were gold back in 93'...as everyone else has said. Harlem Heat are WCW's longest running, most successful long-time tag team. What this really comes down to is whether to pick a good team that had a long run or a good team who had a short run.

Maybe the Blondes are more entertaining, and maybe they did pull off some major wins, but so did Harlem Heat and they were able to do it over the better part of a decade that included some of the most bizarre, ridiculous and downright dim booking in wrestling's long history and still claim to be multiple time tag team champions. I've got to give it to Booker & Stevie Ray this time for that reason alone. This would be a quality match-up, but Harlem Heat for me on this occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back