Calgary Region, First Round: (27) Outsiders vs. (38) Nasty Boys

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Outsiders

• Nasty Boys

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Calgary Region. It's a standard tag team match held in the Calgary Saddledome.

front.jpg

04.jpg

27. Outsiders

Vs.

6704.jpg

38. Nasty Boys

Vote for who you feel is the better team. The poll will be open for THREE days starting approximately twenty four hours after this thread is posted. Use the time to argue and defend your choices. In the case of a tie, the team with more written votes will win. Only one vote per user.

Remember that this is a non-spam section and posts that do not meet our spam requirements will not count.

The Nasty Boys are exactly the kind of team that would have been fed to the Outsiders in WCW. In wasn't a weekly watcher of Nitro but that had to happen at some point, right? Even if it didn't I don't think it takes much imagination for us to picture the Outsiders rolling right over the Nasty Boys.

The funny thing about The Outsiders is that they are hardly remembered for their in-ring prowess as a team (at least, not for much anything good). The legacy is based almost entirely on their promos (and even then, Kevin Nash during the end of WCW wasn't much else besides a walking talking Scott Hall reference).

On top of that, I'm not really taking the televised product at the time as a barometer of who would win because, well, Eric Bischoff was full of Outsider penis at the time and thankfully Eric Bischoff has nothing to do with this match (or tournament, for that matter).

All that being said, Nash tears a quad...again.

VOTE NASTY BOYS

Outside of some brief promise at the start of their careers, the Nasty Boys never really showed me much in the ring. They were brawlers whose high point was their Halloween Havoc match against the Steiners, IMO. Hall and Nash are kind of like Sting and Luger...there's no way they are going to lose to a team like the Nasty Boys, even if they themselves are far from a classic team.

Winners: The Outsiders

So first of all, put me down as one who thinks the Nasty Boys are the most underrated tag team ever. They got over everywhere they went (until TNA, but that was more rebelling against Hogan than hating the Nasties) and won titles as well. The idea that they weren't any good is hogwash. Good ring psychology, tough as nails brawlers, etc. They put on good matches with everyone they faced, even The Public Enemy!

To answer the Brain, The Outsiders did face off against The Nasty Boys in WCW, famously in fact. Legend tells that Scott Hall botched a chair shot that ended Jerry Sags (note, Sags not Saggs) in ring career and in a house show Brian Knobbs broke Hall's nose. It's also legend that Kevin Nash wanted no part of a legit fight with the Nasties over the incident.

Make no mistake, The Nasty Boys were an over team that could brawl with anyone.

Still, I'll take the Outsiders.

Really, I don't see any appeal to the Outsiders as a team beyond the nWo-type stuff. In fact, the only match I can remember of theirs being of any value was the Bash with the Hogan turn. If you think you've got some stellar Outsider match that shows they were a great team together, please share it. The Steiners got a couple passable matches from them and that's about all they wrote as a team. Spare me the "tey only do brawlz" bullshit. The Outsiders only did Dusty Finishes.

Man. This sucks. I really like Hall\Nash because they were always more entertaining to me than The Nasty Boys. Question is does that negate the fact that they were constantly handed the belts? They did have some victories, but obviously were more remembered for their mic work and involvement in the NWO.

The Nasty Boys were a solid team for many years. For the most part just a brawling team but they did a good job at it. Plus we have the Jimmy Hart factor here and that is an edge. Sneaky loudmouthed bastard.

Although, Hall & Nash seemed to have Waltman in their corner quite a bit, but IDK if he would technically be allowed at ringside here. All in all, I think I will give this to Hall\Nash based on the fact they would surely cheat and a win is a win. They are crafty and certainly smarter than their opponents here. I just see Hart jumping up and down trying to tell the ref that The Outsiders are cheating & ultimately distracting the ref even more giving Hall\Nash time to pull off the victory.

I just see Hart jumping up and down trying to tell the ref that The Outsiders are cheating & ultimately distracting the ref even more giving Hall\Nash time to pull off the victory.

Um, how much of the Nasty's have you seen? Beyond one brief moment in the WWF, they were 100% pure heel goodness. Jimmy Hart was in full heel mode working with them. I just don't buy this theory at all.

DirtyJosé;4996757 said:
Um, how much of the Nasty's have you seen? Beyond one brief moment in the WWF, they were 100% pure heel goodness. Jimmy Hart was in full heel mode working with them. I just don't buy this theory at all.

What I remember is that Hart did have a tendency to distract the ref with his loud shenanigans whether heel or face. This is a double-edge sword when up against a team just as likely to play dirty as The Nasty Boys would. Sure they were a solid heel team, but they are against a solid heel team.

Plus, personal preference and hypothetical Jimmy Hart scenario aside, history has a previous victory for The Outsiders over Knobbs\Sags.

DirtyJosé;4996757 said:

The Nasty Boys were faces for a pretty prolonged run in WCW where they won the titles multiple times.

The more I've thought about this in fact, I'm changing my vote to go with The Nasty Boys. The Outsiders were a lot of fun and were mega over, but they weren't a great team. Nash was lazy as heck during this run and no sold a lot of stuff to intentionally expose the business in a "shoot" way. They lost the belts multiple times only to get them handed back and most of their good matches were the other team pulling the weight.

Nastys in an upset.

Of course, Nash and Hall will quit because of this booking.

The Nasty Boys were faces for a pretty prolonged run in WCW where they won the titles multiple times.

Well if they are working face, then that just solidifies the fact they would lose. The Outsiders made a living out of beating down the faces of WCW.

Lets ignore my personal opinion, lets ignore how Hall\Nash won their belts, backstage booking or who would work the match how. Instead let's look at impact. Who made more of an impact in the business? Which team was the spark that started a fire WCW could not contain? That fire burned because of Hall\Nash setting the stage with great mic work and backing eachother up against an entire company.

That is bigger than anything The Nasty Boys ever did in the business. They will be remembered for splatter-paint, mullets and armpits. The Outsiders will be remembered for starting a revolution that turned wrestling upside down.

Which team was the spark that started a fire WCW could not contain? That fire burned because of Hall\Nash setting the stage with great mic work and backing eachother up against an entire company.

None of which had anything to do with their performance in the ring. Promos don't win matches.

That is bigger than anything The Nasty Boys ever did in the business. They will be remembered for splatter-paint, mullets and armpits. The Outsiders will be remembered for starting a revolution that turned wrestling upside down.

And no success The Outsiders had were a result of their dynamic as a tag team. Still haven't seen anyone pick out any good Outsider matches to prove a point beyond "omg nWo hostile takeover".

DirtyJosé;4997523 said:
None of which had anything to do with their performance in the ring. Promos don't win matches.
In ring performance? eh, they beat Harlem Heat and the Steiners for the tag team belts so I think that is something to think about

DirtyJosé;4997523 said:
And no success The Outsiders had were a result of their dynamic as a tag team. Still haven't seen anyone pick out any good Outsider matches to prove a point beyond "omg nWo hostile takeover".

And Hulk Hogan wrestled a lot more bad matches than good matches. Doesn't change he's one of if not the best ever. As stated in other matches, the nasty boys may have been the better team but there is NO way they'd go over the outsiders here.

DirtyJosé;4997523 said:

It may not get the W, but it goes a long way in what makes a team\wrestler great. This isnt a tournament to decide who won the most matches or holds, its to determine who was the better team. Match history? Victory for The Outsiders. Promos? Outsiders. Star power? Outsiders. Merch\Ticket sales? Outsiders. Impact on the business? Outsiders.

See a trend?

DirtyJosé;4997523 said:

Their dynamic was part of what made them good. Best friends with a common goal. Nash was the power, Hall was sneaky & quicker. They played to eachothers strengths on the mic and in the ring. I never claimed they put on 5 star matches, but neither did half the teams in this thing. The matches with Harlem Heat\Steiners, etc were good enough, but the focus of their run was never "be the better wrestlers". It was about "by any means necessary" and that meant sneak attacks or cheating. For what the goal was, they did a pretty good job at that.

This should not have happened. The Outsiders were all hype... and rarely had matches at all as a Tag Team, despite being the champions most of the time. The Nasty Boys dominated the 90's in an era that had some great tag team wrestling. They dominated in BOTH WWE and WCW, too.

Criminal act here letting the Outsiders win by this margin, much less at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back