Criticizing the Divas: Trish Stratus

#hamler

That's all folks.
That's right, my Criticizing threads continue, this series will feature some of the greatest divas to ever step inside the ring. Rules- No matter how perfect the said Diva is, criticize her. Now's your chance. Feel free to rip posts apart piece by piece. I want a dicussion here. In this thread, you have a chance to criticize one of the greatest divas of our time...

Trish-Stratus.jpg

Trish Stratus

Trish Stratus is often regaurded as the best diva of our current time. Trish has held the WWF Hardcore Championship. Trish also holds the record for the most women's championships ever won in the WWE-- a total of 7 reigns as WWF/E Women's Champion. The WWE awarded her Babe of the Year in 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004. She is also the WWE Diva of the Decade. Pro Wrestling Illustrated named Trish Status the Woman of the Decade as well as Diva of the Years, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2006. There is no doubt Trish Stratus has made a name for herself in the Diva's divison.

"The Quintessential WWE Diva" Trish Stratus started her amazing career in 2000 serving as a hot peice of ass managing the tag team of T & A (Test and Albert). She climed into the ring for the first time months later along with Test and Albert to face the Hardy Boyz with their tag team partner, soon to be long time rival of Trish, Lita. Lita and Trish would have numerous match ups in the following weeks really setting the stage for Trish's great career. After the feud was over, Trish began an angle with Mr. McMahon including several skits that include the infamous "Barking like a dog segment" and making out in front of Vince's wife Linda.Trish went on to have great feuds with Jazz, Chris Jericho, Bubba Ray Dudley, Victoria and the best of all, Lita. Was Trish trully one of the greatest divas ever? That leads to the dicusion questions;

What is one flaw you saw in Trish Stratus?

Would fixing this flaw make Trish Stratus any better than she already was?

If you see no flaw in Trish Stratus, state why. And please don't fuck up my thread with spam. Explain your answer.

Discuss this shit.

My opnion is she was not very strong on the microphone. She wasnt awful. However, it was definitly not her strongest asset. One example her Unforgiven 2005 post match interview. I believe it was 2005. She had fumbled quite a bit in her victory speech. There was another incident where she had won the womens title and had done the same thing perhaps at the following years summerslam. I would also say her lack of adding moves to her setlist during the year of 2008 or so when she fought Mickie James at Wrestlemania. Her gimmick and move set in my eyes and most fans eyes had run dry. She was still bubbly and had a great look. However, most women were doing the same. She just wasnt standing out enough as she had before.

All in all Trish was a great Diva and female wrestler. As perfect as she was she had those minor faults. Thanks and have a great day!

Trish was the total package. She was beautiful, Stratus was solid on the mic, and she did have some good matches every now and then. Overall, I thought Stratus was good in the ring, and she was very consistent when it came to putting on watchable wrestling matches. You really can't say this about the good majority Divas in the WWE now a days. Trish looks like gold when you compare her to most of the Divas on WWE's current roster. Stratus' feuds with Mickie James and Lita were the more memorable Divas' feuds we've had over the years, because the only other two feuds that I've cared about would be Beth Phoenix VS Melina and Lay-Cool VS Mickie James.

The WWE will praise Trish as time goes. She will have legendary status, and I'm sure a Hall Of Fame induction will happen in the near future.

When she was first introduced to WWE, she was no more than eye candy, a valet. She then busted her ass to become a solid performer in the ring. She had great if not good matches with Lita, Mickie James, Victoria, Jazz just to name a few.

Her flaws are obvious: On the mike, she wasn't great. She was ok and at times her voice was very low and she would speak quickly. The other problem is as a heel, she was ok but as a face she was far better. That kind of limitation does hold one back but when you consider what she brings to the table, those are minor drawbacks.
She came at a time where the WWE was pushing the boundaries were being pushed. Divas had to be ok with being sex symbols as much as being performers in the ring. There were breast implants, swimsuit photoshoots, lingerie matches. That ushered in the division we have now, divas who are attractive but not great in the ring.

Moolah will always be the quintessential queen of women's wrestling but Trish and Lita have clearly solidified their place in the history of professional women's wrestling in North America. When you look at her time and compare it to now, it's sad to see how the WWE has let this division fall so greatly.

I have to agree with the other posters and say her mic skills were the only thing that really could be improved.

Trish clearly worked hard to improve her in-ring performance to a level far beyond most other divas in the WWE. When she began she was really poor, having had no wrestling background, but really did improve to become of the best of all time in the womens division.

She was stunning, could wrestle, and although her mic skills could have been better, they werent awful, she was just average.

With Trish, Lita, Victoria, Molly and others, the WWE womens division at that time was pretty strong, a golden age even, it is just shame that Trish called it a day when she did

The biggest criticism I have on Trish Stratus is that her looks thwart the perception of her. When she debuted, she was stunning, a beautiful woman that somehow ended up in the wrestling world. That said, she was greener than the X-Pac's pot and was really raw as a performer in all aspects of the word. Sadly, Kaitlyn is literally in the exact same boat, but very few are giving her the same leeway to learn.

While Trish did improve over time, I feel that a lot of what she was has everything to do with the talent around her. I know this might be a shock, but I feel like Trish was the weakest of the in ring competitors in her era. People like Molly Holly, Lita, Victoria, and Mickie James, were clearly superior talents as they had superior ring training. Trish was learning, but the reason she is seen as the superior diva is due to her looks. She was placed above the others because being a Diva is about being pretty, and Trish was the prettiest as far as marketing the Divas goes. Of course, in order to make her look good, you need great talent around her, and they had that.

I had a controversial post a while back where I didn't have Trish in my top 10 all time female wrestlers. I stand by that. While she was the most popular Diva of a lull period in WWE (2002-2005), she wasn't groundbreaking or cultivating in any way. She was simply the hottest Diva of her era and was showcased a lot as a result. Whether it was seducing males or headlining the Divas division, her face and sweet ass were out there. That's what she needed to do and she did it. Credit her for what she was (a beautiful woman who provided eye candy), but don't go too far as to say she's the greatest Diva of all time. It's simply not true. Though she might be the hottest.

I love these criticizing posts (except lita's... that tour me into pieces and had me arguing with myself)

After Victoria (who is after Lita) Trish is my favorite diva. I love almost everything about her career. She's literally a picture perfect example of what hard work can achieve. Like JJ said before, she literally had no training when she came into the WWE. She was the girl who WWE say in a Maxim mag and said "You're our new diva"... a boat Maryse is in.

Not wanting to be just eye candy, Trish took it upon herself to seek training during her WWE career. Over the years, she molded from someone beautiful to a highly talented in ring performer. She managed to work her way up through her dedication and looks to become the best. She was without a doubt the limelight of the WWE, higher than my favorite Lita.

However, her flaws IMO, were (a) She never put over any divas and (b) She just didn't have the mic skills. Now before anyone goes crazy just read what I have to say about this.

A - Never put over stars
Ok, I get it, in her last years she made Mickie James who she was and her career is mirrored with Lita's... the tails to lita's heads if you will. But other than Mickie, and maybe Victoria, I seriously can not recall a time when she put over anybody. She was always the diva that had to be on top of the WWE. If she wasn't on top, she wasn't there or involved on camera in storylines unless they were love angles. I get it, she was their female Austin or Rock, but in the end even they build stars like Angle, Lesnar, and Orton. Trish built Mickie and that's it. I know people will say she built Hemme, but where is she at now? Exactly.

B - She didn't have the mic skills
Literally, she didn't. If it wasn't for her body, I would've fallen asleep a long long time ago. I love her in-ring work and everything, but she just wasn't there on the mic. She never really had any interview to stick out to me. She never had that one catchphrase or that one promo. Her rivalries and matches, legendary, but the promo builds to them were hyped by her opponents. For example, Mickie James in the dark room surrounded by candles.

So yeah, while I love Trish I can see her flaws. They aren't many, but they're there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back