King of the Ring 2019

Vanilla Midget

Championship Contender
I haven’t seen a thread on this yet, apologize if I missed one. King of the ring is back in 2019. This if often suggest in forum posts a way to return WWE to its past greatness, and it’s back rear its head once again.

KOTR has by and large been supplanted by Money in the Bank as the standard event to anoint new main event wrestlers, though since it disappeared as an annual event it has fundamentally failed to do so. The last four winners have all adopted the King gimmick, and the last three have all been of European descent. It’s really turned into a way of repackaging mid card guys from the UK into a royalty gimmick, then jobbing them out. Could Drew McIntyre be next?

King Booker was the last one to become a world champion. Prior to Booker, the event was annual and most of the talent through the 90s and early 2000s briefly flirted with the crown, cape or sceptre and promptly dropped them. This is the better use of this event: re-contextualizing an up and comer as main event material.

King of the Ring can and should be WWE’s version of the G1 in NJPW. But it hasn’t been. Wade Barrett’s run as King was a joke. Regal’s drug suspension knocked him down. Sheamus quickly dropped the King gimmick when he won the US title and started wearing red, white and blue.

It’s a really interesting field this year, great mix of experienced guys and new guys. The only former world champions are KO and Miz. Only the former has a hope in hell of winning. Here’s the field:

Smackdown:

Ali

Andrade

Apollo Crews

Buddy Murphy

Chad Gable

Elias

Kevin Owens

Shelton Benjamin

Raw:

Baron Corbin

Cedric Alexander

Cesaro

Drew McIntyre

The Miz

Ricochet

Sami Zayn

Samoa Joe

Save for Miz, Corbin and Elias (the sports entertainment guys, if you will), everyone in this field is recognized for their pure wrestling ability. There’s a ton of great match possibilities. It would be interesting to see if we get a Raw vs Smackdown type tournament. Hopefully the bulk of these matches actually get time, but don’t hold your breath.

Right away I see Drew winning this, with the finals coming down to him vs KO. I really hope the end goal isn’t to stick a crown and cape on the guy. If he does win, I’d love to see him have some kind of Austin 3:16 moment and smash the goofy hat and throne. Would be a cool visual.

It’s cool to see the 205 Live graduates all present here. They’ve been painfully under utilized. I could also see Ricochet getting the nod here. I think he’s used the King Ricochet moniker in the indies, correct me if I’m wrong.

My personal pick to win is Cedric. I would love to see his momentum keep building. That match with Drew on Raw is incredible. I wish they’d give the guy new theme music. I find it really hard to pop for his current theme.

What are you thoughts? Who should win, who do you want to win or who will win?

I look at it like this, if you look at the list of competitor for this tournament, you have 3 categories of guys, the first one is the job guys. That's guys like like Chad Gable, apollo crews and shelton that are just there to give a easy win to the more establish guys so their chance of moving past the first round is almost non existant. Then you got guys that are already involved in some sort a story or will get a title match at the next ppv( Ali, Owens,Ricochet, murphy, alexander, Elias, Mcintyre) These guys have a chance of winning but that's depending what their plans are for the clash. Then you got everybody else. So on Smackdown by elimination i see Andrade going to the final as he's probably the only one not involve in anything major. On Raw, it's between Corbin, Joe and Miz if i go with my logic. the funny thing is that i actually don't see any of them getting to the final.

So here my scenario and matches i hope we get in the first round

Smackdown

Ali Vs Buddy murphy

Andrade Vs apollo Crews

Chad Gable Vs Shelton Benjamin

Elias Vs Kevin Owens

So if those match happens, i see Buddy winning over Ali with a distraction from nakamura which would lead to a title match between the 2 at the clash
Andrade beats Crews
Shelton beat chad
Owens beat Elias

In the second round you would have buddy vs andrade and with andrade wins the match, maybe with the interference from bryan. and Shelton vs owens with Owens winning again despite Shane trying to screw him.

The final would be Andrade vs Owens and Owens wins clean.
So the winner of the Smackdown bracket would be Kevin Owens

As for Raw The first round matches would be

Baron Corbin vs The miz: Corbin wins

Cedric Alexander Vs Drew McIntyre: McIntyre wins again

Cesaro Vs ricochet: Ricochet wins

Sami Zayn Vs Joe: Joe wins

Second round

Corbin vs Ricochet: Ricochet wins
McIntyre vs Joe: McIntyre wins

Final Round

McIntyre vs Ricochet: McIntyre wins after the help from the OC which would lead to AJ vs Ricochet at the Clash.

Winner of the Raw bracket: Drew McIntyre.

The finals at clash of champions

Drew Mcintyre vs Kevin Owens: Drew wins with a lot of of help from Shane Mcmahon and Elias.

So my winner would be Drew McIntyre.

It seems obvious it will be Owens vs. McIntyre with most likely Owens going over. They really want K.O. to go to next level face before the move to Fox. That would give them Roman, K.O., and Kofi to lead the blue brand. Smackdown side seems a bit light compared to Raw side. Wonder why we didn't get Aleister Black, Big E, Ziggler, or Nakamura? Gable? Benjamin?

Watching who left in the tournament here my predictions for the tournament

On raw

Ricochet beat joe
Corbin beat alexander
Corbin beat ricochet

I see corbin winning the raw side as it because out of the rest of the guys in the tournament, he's the one that made the most sense to win.

On smackdown

Ali beat murphy (because of a distraction from bryan)
Gable beat benjamin
Ali beat elias
Andrade beat gable
Ali beat andrade

In this one, i went with Ali winning that side of the tournament, it was either him or murphy but i feel like murphy is up for a bigger push then the king of the ring and will somehow be involve in the whole reigns who done it angle.

KOTR finals

Corbin beats Ali

Nothing against Ali but the best king of the ring where heel mostly because heel can have way more fun with the gimmick then babyface and let face it, corbin really need a makeover right now plus he would have so much fun with this as he's one of the best heel on the mic.

Can't believe they have Chad Gable in the Finals??? Corbin vs. Owens would've been the right play with Shane screwing Owens one more time. Corbin will likely win to keep heel heat on him without a Title but for bringing back King of the Ring they could've had a much better match for the Finals for sure.

I'm guessing that'S why they moved the finals to RAw instead of the PPV. They realize how weak the finals was and decided the it was more of a tv match instead of a PPV match. Either everything they do right now is really just placeholders until next month when they restart everything once again.

a very interesting thread
o.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back