Mick Foley the Main Event make

quink987

Pre-Show Stalwart
Ok guys Ive been looking through some Mick Foleys matches and it got me thinking, that Mick really helped make guys legit main eventers and give them that push they needed for example..

Undertaker in 1996-1998
they fought back and fourth for nearly 2 years they had casket matches, Boiler room matches, Buried Alive matches and of Course Hell in the Cell,I know you are all going to say that Taker was a main eventer anyway but after his feud with mankind it really made taker look that more badass and unstruckable.

Shawn Michaels 1996
its been said that after their match at Mind Games this match helped take HBK to a more intense way.

The Rock 1998-1999
the rock had just come champ and needed to look legit so theirs no better way then getting in a feud with the hardcore legend mankind they had I quit matches, Empty arena match, Ladder match, Last man Satnding match and after this feud it really made the rock look a legit oppontent for Austin at WM15

Triple H 2000
HHH needed that rub of being a legit champ not your typical cheating heel so what better way then a street fight and HITC match with Mick to legit you

Randy Orton 2004
not long after this feud with Mick orton went on to become the World Champ and because Orton kept beating mick cleanly it helped orton to step up to the main event scene

Edge 2006
Ok Edge as always been hardcore but after the feud with mick Edge got to prove he can hang with anyone in any match so when it came to Edge to compete in a hardcore style match you alway had that imagine of both guys going through a flaming table so you knew Edge could ang with anyone

so my point is who do you reckon Mick Helped the most to get to the next level of their career or help improve

I'm teetering between The Rock & Triple H. If I was forced to choose, I'd go with Rocky. Triple H had the whole McMahon-Helmsley era storyline backing him, and didn't have to worry about Stone Cold stealing the spotlight due to his injury.

Makind helped Rocky legitmize himself before going 1 on 1 with Stone Cold Steve Austin at WrestleMania XV. Their I Quit match at Royal Rumble is a hardcore classic and Foley's championship victory on RAW was a pivitol moment in the Monday Night Wars. So not only did it benefit Rocky more, it benefited Foley, and the entire WWE.

I know some people will disagree but i think he might have helped Randy Orton or Edge the most because look at what Edge achieved after his feud with Foley he went on to Main Event WrestleMania, he is a multiple time World Tag Team Champion and he is a Hall Of Famer. and the same for Orton but he will be able to do more because he hasn't retired.

I know a lot of people will say it is the rock or The Undertaker but i choose Orton because he is still an active Wrestler and he potentially achieve more than them

Even though Edge had just won the MiTB going toe to toe with Mick at WM22 did something excellent for him. I can't put my finger on it though.

It really helped people see that HBK could get down and dirty and not just be a pretty boy(well then again his brawl with Perfect in 93' should have shown that). But we didn't get to see many crazy matches that featured HBK other than the Ladder matches.

It helped the rock out indeed too because the fans still hated rocky, but showing he wasn't a bitch made them respect him more.

If anything Taker was already huge, but Mick just added more fuel to his fire. Mick made the HIAC more popular than he made Taker.

Orton, meh I felt he did nothing.

HHH, it was boring what he and foley went through in my opinion. I was just ready for that feud to be over with.

Undertaker was already at the top by the time Mankind and him had a feud. The Rock was on top, and so was Triple H to an extent. Triple H's spot was definitely pushed up by his feud with Mick Foley, but no means did it catapult his career like it did with Edge. Edge was a Dolph Ziggler type guy slowly beating down the gates to the main event level. As soon as Edge speared Mick Foley through that flaming table, the rest is history. So, the biggest rub Mick gave? Edge. Without a doubt.

This is HHH and any other answer is completely wrong.

Undertaker had been a main event guy for years. He had credibility already and he had won a world title. The problem was that no one was interested in him for a long time because he did the same thing for years. Mankind gave him something interesting to do, but he didn't make Undertaker.

Shawn.....just no.

Rock wasn't ready for the main event by the time he got to Wrestlemania 15 which is after the Foley feud, so that can't be right. The Mankind feud helped him, but it didn't launch Rock to a new level or anything really close to it.

Do me a favor: tell me what Orton did in the main event between losing the world title to HHH and his feud with Cena in 07. The answer to that would be barely anything, because it wasn't until his feud with Cena that he became a regular in the world title picture. Foley helped him as well but Orton was going to go where he was because he was dubbed the guy. Besides, after the Foley feud, Orton feuded with Edge over the summer, not going straight to the main event.

Edge: No again. Edge was a former world champion and he beat a guy that was well past his prime. That was a great match with a great ending and it was a step up for Edge, but Edge became his most famous persona the day he cashed in MITB.

Now we get to HHH. Before the feud with Foley, HHH was a heatless world champion. He feuded with Austin for a bit but was basically running away from him for months until Austin got hurt. Then HHH has a real feud with Mick Foley, and look what happens. HHH goes from being this guy running from Austin to one of the best heels of all time that can stand toe to toe with Rock. The street fight at the 2000 Rumble saw HHH being pushed further than he ever had before and he survived the entire time and won before winning AGAIN in Foley's signature match. That's how you push someone and it worked very well.

It's HHH.

HHH by a mile.

Not too many people bought into HHH as a heel in 1999. I didn't buy into him as a heel in 1999. Mick Foley catapulted him into the stratosphere. Their street fight was epic as was their Hell in a Cell encounter. HHH had one of the greatest years ever, heel or face, and it all began with Foley.

I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I didn't do the following...

I know some people will disagree but i think he might have helped Randy Orton or Edge the most because look at what Edge achieved after his feud with Foley he went on to Main Event WrestleMania, he is a multiple time World Tag Team Champion and he is a Hall Of Famer. and the same for Orton but he will be able to do more because he hasn't retired.

So Edge went on to main event Wrestlemania (which happened two years after he faced Foley) and be a Hall of Famer because of match that even I think is a tad overrated? Cena helped Edge become a main eventer more than Foley did. Edge was floating around the midcard and I don't even remember him having a match for the last three months of 2005.

I know a lot of people will say it is the rock or The Undertaker but i choose Orton because he is still an active Wrestler and he potentially achieve more than them

Let me get this straight. You take one match in 2004 and claim that what Foley did for Orton was greater because he's still active? So no other person putting over Orton in the past eight years matters? By that logic, I can say Big Show is the cause for Cena's success because Cena beat him at Wrestlemania 20. Get outta here.

Even though Edge had just won the MiTB going toe to toe with Mick at WM22 did something excellent for him. I can't put my finger on it though.

Just won it? I guess a year in your terms is a short amount of time. If I'm going to pick nits, RVD won MITB before Edge faced Foley.

It really helped people see that HBK could get down and dirty and not just be a pretty boy(well then again his brawl with Perfect in 93' should have shown that). But we didn't get to see many crazy matches that featured HBK other than the Ladder matches.

How about his IYH match with Nash that happened before Foley? It helped me see it then.

It helped the rock out indeed too because the fans still hated rocky, but showing he wasn't a bitch made them respect him more.

The Rock was terrible in 1999. 2000 was his best year.

If anything Taker was already huge, but Mick just added more fuel to his fire. Mick made the HIAC more popular than he made Taker.

Mick just didn't jump off that cage, ya know?

We agree.

HHH, it was boring what he and foley went through in my opinion. I was just ready for that feud to be over with.

You should have stopped when you were behind. Seriously, I hope you didn't type anything else after this.

Undertaker was already at the top by the time Mankind and him had a feud. The Rock was on top, and so was Triple H to an extent. Triple H's spot was definitely pushed up by his feud with Mick Foley, but no means did it catapult his career like it did with Edge. Edge was a Dolph Ziggler type guy slowly beating down the gates to the main event level. As soon as Edge speared Mick Foley through that flaming table, the rest is history. So, the biggest rub Mick gave? Edge. Without a doubt.

Edge was feuding with Cena before Foley so he was in the main event. I have argued that Cena did just as much, if not more, for Edge than Foley did.

Edge. Edge had the best match in his entire career at Wm 22 and so did Mick for that matter. Edge looked like a real main eventer after defeating Foley.

I take it that you started watching wrestling about five or six years ago. I'll just leave it at that.

I think he helped Randy Orton the most. Orton beat Mick Foley at Backlash 2004 which was a huge push for Orton and the time and the push he needed to become World Champion at SummerSlam.

HHH by a mile.

Not too many people bought into HHH as a heel in 1999. I didn't buy into him as a heel in 1999. Mick Foley catapulted him into the stratosphere. Their street fight was epic as was their Hell in a Cell encounter. HHH had one of the greatest years ever, heel or face, and it all began with Foley.

I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I didn't do the following...

So Edge went on to main event Wrestlemania (which happened two years after he faced Foley) and be a Hall of Famer because of match that even I think is a tad overrated? Cena helped Edge become a main eventer more than Foley did. Edge was floating around the midcard and I don't even remember him having a match for the last three months of 2005.

Let me get this straight. You take one match in 2004 and claim that what Foley did for Orton was greater because he's still active? So no other person putting over Orton in the past eight years matters? By that logic, I can say Big Show is the cause for Cena's success because Cena beat him at Wrestlemania 20. Get outta here.

Just won it? I guess a year in your terms is a short amount of time. If I'm going to pick nits, RVD won MITB before Edge faced Foley.

How about his IYH match with Nash that happened before Foley? It helped me see it then.

The Rock was terrible in 1999. 2000 was his best year.

Mick just didn't jump off that cage, ya know?

We agree.

You should have stopped when you were behind. Seriously, I hope you didn't type anything else after this.

Edge was feuding with Cena before Foley so he was in the main event. I have argued that Cena did just as much, if not more, for Edge than Foley did.

I take it that you started watching wrestling about five or six years ago. I'll just leave it at that.

Shit, I meant to say Edge had just won the title for the first time.

But anyway in 2000, I was 8 years old. I was a fan of The Rock, Ken Shamrock, Edge, Goldust, Val Venus, Taker, and HBK. I wasn't interested in seeing HHH and Mankind feud.

I have to agree with the people that said HHH. I was an HHH fan since he and HBK formed DX, and even at that I have to admit he was a heat less world champ. Then he went into the feud with Foley and he came out of it the ass kicking best heel of his time HHH. That feud alone brought out a side of HHH that we hadn't seen before.

Like others have said The Rock was not ready for the main event at Wrestlemania even after his feud with Foley

Edge was already a World champ, and I agree with the poster that said Cena did as much if not more that Foley did for him.

Undertaker was long on top before his feud with Foley.

Orton didn't do a whole lot of anything after, and was going to be where he got with or with out Foley.

HBK is a close second for me. While HBK had his push before Foley the match they had did show us that Shawn had that edge to him. He showed his toughness, and I think it brought Shawn to a whole new level.

Still though HHH is the one that benefited from Foley the most.

Fist off, he did alot for all of them IMO. Every single one of them would've gone to main event regardless though, Mick just helped them get some credibility and put them over as bad asses who could go toe to toe with a hardcore freak :)

Starting with Taker who til that point was virtually unbeatable and showed no pain, step in the boiler room match with Mankind and Taker was humanised and got more sympathy and in turn Mankind got a huge rub for being the first guy to cleanly beat The Undertaker several times

Then we moved onto The Rock. Rock got the same rub that Taker did, the fact that he not only survived Mankind's onslaught but his new viscious side went to a whole new level and the heel turn that put him over big time was at the cost of Mick being Vince's adopted father lol. and on the flipside Mick reached the big time winning the world title which was the defining moment that turned the tide in the Monday Night Wars :)

Then along comes Triple H, arguably his greatest opponent from a longevity standpoint, the problem here is Trips was already well established by the time he got around to Foley, but his matches with Mick and his dominance with the world title did cement his legacy as the Cerabral Assassin and one of the toughest sons of bitches, and Mick once again got that "whats it gonna take to stop this freak" rub

Edge and Orton were on the verge of breaking through so this is where the party stops, all previous opponents were already at that level so one can't argue that the most good was done for these 2 chose either i don't care but Edge and Orton got the most benefit imo though it wasn't memorable other then a few segments

So, if you are talking of who was the most memorable then i'd have to say Rock or Triple H following closely by Taker, all three Mick had long memorable fueds with and in a time when they got alot of exposure.

I would have to say Mick did more for both Trips and Orton. Most of the names on the list were already big at the point where Mick entered into feuds with them, especially Taker and Michaels. In Trips case, he was a 3-time champ by the time he entered his feud with Mick. He was an established veteran, no question, but he was viewed as being associated with D-X, and in the shadows of Austin and Taker. With the top two guys on the shelf, and Rock already being over, Mick was able to make Trips seem like a legitimate badass champ, beating Mick in his own styled matches. Moving onto Orton, Mick did quite a bit to establish Orton as the next great superstar, elevating his "Legend Killer" gimmick. Orton would spit on guys like Foley and Harley Race, give RKO's to legends like Austin, etc. But in his battles with Mick, again fans started to see that Orton could hang in a dangerous match with one of the best.

That was the match that showed Randy Orton had more to him than just being the pretty boy who was given an immediate push in the WWE after leaving the army in digrace and getting a job though his family name.

Orton took a crazy beating from The Hardcore Icon, even getting slammed on thumbtacks. It was a great match that showed how tough Orton was, and that he earned the respect of alot of people that night for hanging in there with Mick Foley.

How was it boring? As a wrestling fan, how did you not find the Street Fight that Foley had with HHH at the Royal Rumble boring? It was a brutal fight, and the way he returned as Cactus Jack was brilliant too. The whole retirement angle, with the HIAC that once again saw him fall through the roof and then being brought back by Linda McMahon to feature in the Fatal 4-Way at WM2000 was all great stuff.

If I had to pick one, I would go with Triple H. The feud really solidified Hunter as a Main Eventer, and he came out looking like a worthy Champion. Foley definitely helped all those guys for sure, The Rock and Orton definitely benefitted alot from their matches with Mick, but I am going with Trips on this one.

Triple H was on Heath Slater's level(before the legend squash series) before his fued with Mankind in 1997. Not to mention the amazing fued they had in early 2000.

Triple H is nobody without Foley. Foley was the reason why people wanted to see Triple H die on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back