Most overrated movie of all time

Crash.

It was confusing, hard to follow, extremely unrealistic and the way the characters talked was odd. I don't know how or why it won so many damn awards. It was just a huge wreck of movie to me. I didn't know whether I was supposed to take it seriously or not. I just did not like it and a lot of other people I know who watched it, did not like it either.

Agreed with Avatar, i was falling asleep by the 2 hour lol.

But im going to go with a movie no one has said yet and that would be The new alice in wonderland by tim burton. Seriously i thought this was ok at best and felt that burton could have delivered better. I was excited to see it i mean tim burton and johnny depp winning combination right? haha WRONG. I believe thats the only reason people went and saw it was cause it was burton and depp i mean fuck thats the only reason i saw it. I guess it was a sequel to the cartoon movie? I didnt even realize that till halfway through and i was like wtf. Was it a horrible movie? no, do people give it more credit then it deserves? yes. Bear in mind i was one of the few in my theater that didnt smell completely like pot lol

Crash.

It was confusing, hard to follow, extremely unrealistic and the way the characters talked was odd. I don't know how or why it won so many damn awards. It was just a huge wreck of movie to me. I didn't know whether I was supposed to take it seriously or not. I just did not like it and a lot of other people I know who watched it, did not like it either.

I agree.There was nothing special about Crash. I felt like I was watching a TV movie when I went to go see this in theaters. Don't get me wrong, the acting was pretty good (especially when it came to Thandie Newton) but everything else was just so bland and boring. And the fact that this film won the Academy Award for best screenplay was just so ridiculous. So much hype surrounded this movie, and a TV series which airs on Starz was created based on this film. Crash was very overrated.

Anything Quentin Tarantino has produced is severely overrated. I've gone off on him before, but in short, he's a thief and obnoxiously crude and disgusting, and for some reason that hypes his shitty films he stole the plot for from some Japanese director somewhere who hasn't a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of today.

I'd also say anything by Darren Aronofsky sans the Wrestler is incredibly overrated. Requeim for a Dream especially. I thought it was a pretty boring movie, myself, and hardly realistic at all.

RENT

WTF???? People seemed to rave about this movie as if it was "West Side Story" or something. I thought it was pretty dumb to say the least but I've never been a big fan of musicals. I don't think there is a lot more to say about it, it was overrated, I didn't care for it, and I saw one too many times, ONCE.

I completely agree with Armbar on The Dark Knight as well reinforcing all the arguments he made about. The things he didn't mention that I think make it overrated though may have been overlooked by the masses.

For starters it seems like everyone in this movie, Alfred(Michael Caine) particularly, has a speech prepared for every scene not involving some kind of action sequence or plot progressor. Go ahead and watch it again you'll notice. The whole movie is riddled with these over elaborate overly wordy speeches and looks into the psyche of the characters. Take a look at the 1989 Batman with Michael Keaton. Vicky Vale asks Bruce Wayne why he does what he does trying to understand why he has put himself in this position. Keaton's simple response that sums it all up is "Because nobody else can". Simple, to the point, and fully expresses the feelings of the character. No need for a psychological evaluation, just make the point and let the movie move forward.

Also, Bruce Wayne(Christian Bale) can't hold a candle to Keaton. Michael Keaton was perfect because of the way he played Bruce Wayne, and the fact that he didn't look like a superhero. He seemed like a pretty normal guy, you'd never have expected that he would be Batman. You look at Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne and not only is he trying to portray him in something like 3 different ways, but this version of Bruce Wayne clearly has some problems and it's not a stretch of the imagination to think that he would be Batman as a result. Refer back to the scene at the up scale restaurant and his numerous instances of excess within the movie such as driving his Lamborghini like a nutcase through the city, and taking the entire ballet team on a cruise. Keaton's Bruce Wayne would never have done that because he understood the character better. Bruce Wayne isn't trying to announce to the world that he is Batman like Bale is. He is cool, reserved, and all around pretty normal outside of his escapades as a masked man delivering vigilante justice.

Now I'm really going for the kill with this last critique. The Joker!!! Ok, Heath Ledger died before the movie was released and he took a different approach to the character. Different doesn't always mean better. That is what I saw wrong with this depiction of the character. It seems like it's different clearly for the sake of being different, and it's painfully obvious that this Joker is TRYING to be wierd, trying to be twisted, trying to be menacing. The Joker didn't have to try ok. Look at Jack Nicholson's Joker. He was just fucking nuts period ok, but he wasn't out there trying to act nutz, he just was. Look at Batman the animated series and the Joker voiced by none other than Mark Hamil. That Joker was devious, plotting, and out of his mind but he didn't have to announce it, it showed in everything he did. He didn't have to dress like a nurse and blow up a hospital to get that point across or talk like a modern day sadist, he just was.

I suppose that should garner enough hatred so I will stop, but bottom line is that while this was a great movie it did have it's flaws, it wasn't some masterpiece of modern cinema. It was a good(and let me emphasize the word GOOD) superhero movie. It's not a G.O.A.T movie, and it's not the best Batman movie ever made, that honor belongs to the 1989 Tim Burton adaptation. It had more comprehensive characters, dialog, and story progression. If it had the luxury of the big budget visual effects we have today the surely could have done more with it, but as is what they did was good enough and still made it's impact. Sorry fanboys, I love this movie, but it's overrated.

Im gonna go with superbad. Now some might not see it as overated but when it came out everybody was saying it was a great movie and when i saw it my expression was this :disappointed: instead of this :lmao: To me is just a bunch of high schoolers thinking getting laid is the best thing ever and bitching about they will never see each other after collage and i thought the ending was meh.

I am going to have to say that the most over rated movie is The Last Airbender. I have never seen such a horrible adaptation from t.v. to movie. This is just a pathetic attempt to try and get kids to go "oh, oh, I want to see that. When I heard it was the top movie in box offices for more than a day, I felt sick, like physically ill and was like :wtf::disappointed:. M. Night Shyamalan got a half hour t.v. special the week before it came out, and they played three times a day for 6 days straight. So I think The Last Airbender is the most overrated movie in existence. If the show was not so amazingly great then, that movie would ruin Avatar: The Last Airbender for me forever.

I am going to have to say that the most over rated movie is The Last Airbender. I have never seen such a horrible adaptation from t.v. to movie. This is just a pathetic attempt to try and get kids to go "oh, oh, I want to see that. When I heard it was the top movie in box offices for more than a day, I felt sick, like physically ill and was like :wtf::disappointed:. M. Night Shyamalan got a half hour t.v. special the week before it came out, and they played three times a day for 6 days straight. So I think The Last Airbender is the most overrated movie in existence. If the show was not so amazingly great then, that movie would ruin Avatar: The Last Airbender for me forever.

Huh? I don't think The Last Airbender can be considered overrated, because this movie has been shit on by just about everyone. Sure Airbender had a lot of hype behind, but that really didn't surprise me because the majority of Shyamalan's films are always hyped beyond belief, and they never usually deliver. Although, I do agree with you about the movie being terrible. One of the worst films I've seen in a long time. And to think they plan on making another one....ugh. But if another film is going to be made, I just hope they don't let Shyamalan get anywhere near it.

I'm going to have to say Twilight. I haven't seen Avatar yet, nor do I have a desire to see that flick. But Twilight, I've heard so much about it, and my friend rented it and I started to get into it about 20 minutes, and had to leave before I would get sick from all the emo teen angst on that Kristen Stewart's face. "Who do I choose? Sickly pale, greasy haired blood sucker, or overly ripped musclebound wolf boy? The choices facing us teens today!" Please, then I have to hear about that crap at work, "Who will Bella choose?" I hope Bella chooses to drink some cyanide and shoot the damn wolf with a silver bullet and shove some garlic down the vamps throat. Teen lives are NOT that emotional and romantic when dealing with fictional creatures, and I cannot believe that a depressed girl choosing between those two losers has created that much buzz that people have to choose sides like Team Edward or Team Jacob.

I could probably list about 100 or so overrated films, but the one that comes to mind right now is All That Jazz. The movie's supposed to be a roman-a-clef of sorts for its director, Bob Fosse, and, if this is the way Fosse acted in real life, then he's one of the most unsympathetic and unworthy characters to have ever graced the screen. Supposedly, this film was nominated for so many Oscar because of its choreography, but it's nothing special, and it's nothing that you couldn't have found in the 1970s (the film came out in 1979).

Ultimately, this film is not only overrated, but it's actually quite shit. Furthermore, I'd even go so far to say that Bob Fosse is the most overrated director ever. How this guy won the Best Director Oscar for Cabaret (which is only a little less shit than All That Jazz) over Francis Ford Coppola for The Godfather, I'll never know.

Every movie person here is going to crucify me for this, but to me it's Citizen Kane.

For years I had heard that this is the undisputed greatest movie of all time. It's a masterpiece and a showcase of how great Welles was. Ok I thought to myself. If it's this good I need to sit down and watch it. So one night I found a copy of it and watched it.

HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF CRAP THIS MOVIE WAS BORING. Nothing happens for nearly two hours and then all of a sudden it turns out it's the damn sled that caused him to become this huge monster of a personality that almost ran the world? Ok, I get that it was symbolic of his childhood and all that, but it took an hour and a half to get to that? Everything in the movie was supposed to be symbolic and representing all kinds of things, but that doesn't make it good. It makes it well made I guess, but that doesn't mean it's an entertaining movie. I was sitting there waiting for greatness to happen and it never did.

Since it's considered the best ever and it isn't even interesting, I'd certainly call that overrated.

I agree when people say Titanic.
The only reason that movie racked in any money is because it was based on true events and fed off people emotions. No one would've seen it if was just a boring romantic movie about Leo DiCRAPrio and the naked chick he drew in it, it was only popular because of the events. Pearl Habour did this also , along with a lot of other movies, feeding off peoples emotions of real events, compelling them to see it instead of just reading about it in text books and pretending to be an expert on it after seeing.
Come on, come up with a real script and not that bullshit

For me hands down it is Avatar

People give star war fans a hard time over special effects and yet they flocked to the theater like sheep to see Avatar

I forgot...
after Avatar I found one.

So I actually have two, avatar and Paranormal activity

It was a bore fest comedy...and the ending was even more horrible then the rest of the movie, how do people think it was scary?
The only good thing in the movie was that awesome looking wigi board and the boy friend was some good comic relief for the rest of the disasters going on in the movie

I have to go with Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. My wife makes me sit through it at least once a month. It's way too long, makes no god damn sense, and it goes for 'confusing but interpretative' feel, but I've seen David Lynch films make more sense. With that movie, I just kept waiting and waiting for something interesting to happen, but it never did. I just dont see how so many people can jump all over its nuts the way they do.

I agree when people say Titanic.
The only reason that movie racked in any money is because it was based on true events and fed off people emotions. No one would've seen it if was just a boring romantic movie about Leo DiCRAPrio and the naked chick he drew in it, it was only popular because of the events. Pearl Habour did this also , along with a lot of other movies, feeding off peoples emotions of real events, compelling them to see it instead of just reading about it in text books and pretending to be an expert on it after seeing.
Come on, come up with a real script and not that bullshit

What movie are you referring to from pearl harbor?
Tora Tora Tora? That movie was indeed extremely boring.
I watched it in World War 2 Class...:banghead:

Now I actually like Titanic. I love the time period, I loved the set, they did a phenomenal job with wardrobe and with the Titanic itself

The CGI in Avatar wasnt anything particularly special. Same ol' cartoon bullshit, I dont understand what everyone is on about.

Anyway, the real answer, and the one that is furthermore clear by the fact it hasnt been mentioned yet, is The Hangover

I could have told you this was by far and away the funniest fucking movie ever of all time ever made, just by how much I heard about how ridiculously amazingly awesome funny it was. I mean seriously, dont play video games, dont have sex, dont drink slurpees, dont even fucking BREATHE until you have seen the Hangover, becuase it is THAT funny, and you are wasting your time doing those other activities instead of watching The Hangover. Becuase it is just that awesome.

and then, of course, the movie really wasnt funny at all. I suppose if you are roughly ten years old, sure. I didnt seriously laugh one time. Not even once. I lightly chuckled when the baby got whacked by the door, and the "I dont care if we kill someone" line. Beuond that, nothing overly funny whatsoever. Oh, did it fucking try to Doc-like levels? Of course it did, extremely contrived.

Decent movie. Not funny at all. At least Heather Graham's fine self whipped out a titty.

I agree with you when you say its an overrated movie, but it is still pretty funny. Definitely not the funniest film of all time, but I still got a lot more laughs than I would if I say "Meet the Spartans" or some other crap. Maybe because we might have a different sense of humor, but I still found it funny.

I think the reason you think its so overrated is because of all of the hype, people DID say its the funniest movie ever and blah, blah, blah, and if you did see it without people saying it is so good and whatever, you would've liked it a lot more. I'm not defending the movie in any way and if you think its crap, its crap, but your opinion is your opinion and I'm not going to try and change it.

i'm stuck trying to decide between two films. i almost don't want to name either of them, for fear of flames.

the most predictable film i have ever heard people rave about, fight club, is one. the most derivative claptrap ever to gain a huge following from people who obviously had never read the source material, the matrix, is the other

fight club had not one suprise in the entire film, except the human fat soap.
it was so obvious how the film had to end, that the girl i took to the movie got mad at me for telling her the ending 20 min. into the film.

the matrix was a hodgepodge of old william gibson gimmicks, along with a few stolen from gibson immitators. there wasn't a fresh concept in the whole movie.

i'm not saying that these flicks had no merit. i'm just saying that they were so overrated that it amazes me.

A lot of people mentioned Avatar, and I agree it is over rated, but not the MOST overrated film of all time. Though all it really was was awesome CGI and a live action Fern Gully. It's up there, but I dont think it is number one, its simply a recent overrated film.

What I would say is probably the most overrated film in history is Scarface. A LOT of people talk about this is the greatest film ever conceived, and quote it like no tomorrow, films constantly do an overdone homage to it; but was it really as good as they say? No.

Now Scarface may have featured some good acting, mostly by Pacino, but it wasnt his best acting, that would be in The Godfather. It had a good story, but the greatest story ever told in film? Most certainly not. I honestly didnt care for this movie, but Im not going to really add that into the equation.

There are many films that are a lot better than this. Theres Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, The Shawshank Redemption, Laurence of Arabia, Bridge One The River Kwai, yet people insist this is on the top of the list. Well it sure is on the top of the list, the list for the most overrated film of all time.

RENT

WTF???? People seemed to rave about this movie as if it was "West Side Story" or something. I thought it was pretty dumb to say the least but I've never been a big fan of musicals. I don't think there is a lot more to say about it, it was overrated, I didn't care for it, and I saw one too many times, ONCE.

Overrated? Not many people like the RENT movie, most people just settle that its ok, and not a true adaption of the stage show. I dont see how this can be overrated.

I suggest you see the stage show if you want to see the true musical that is Rent, and not a movie adaption that takes out half the soundtrack, or lighten the themes of Rent in general. Rosario Dawson was good though.

As for me, there have been well loved movies I just havent enjoyed, like ET. Not to say I hated it, but I just didnt get anything out of it and dont think it deserves the praise it gets at all. There are movies like the original Nightmare on Elm Street and the original Friday the 13th which are reasonably loved as classics nowadays. While I dont hate them they both had the same problem to me. Both movies were ruined by the final 20 minutes or so. When the killer was revealed in Friday, the suspense of the movie just dissapeared much like it did when we found out Chucky was real, and we got the usual chase scene. The mystery of who the killer was dissapeared and the decapitation at the end looked hilarious, of course, the movie did redeem its ending once we got out to the lake. Nightmare on Elm Street was great, until Fred came into the real world, and we had footprints of fire, and Fred attacking blowup dolls.

While I enjoy all three movies I have named, ET to me wasnt very special of a movie, while Friday and Nightmare both lose so much of their elements in the finale of both movies, and I think it gets ignored a bit.

Maybe avoid reading this post if you want to watch Citizen Kane.

HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF CRAP THIS MOVIE WAS BORING. Nothing happens for nearly two hours and then all of a sudden it turns out it's the damn sled that caused him to become this huge monster of a personality that almost ran the world? Ok, I get that it was symbolic of his childhood and all that, but it took an hour and a half to get to that?

While I agree that it is probably the most overrated movie of all time, as it isn’t the greatest movie ever made but just a fantastic movie, you have missed the point of the plot.

It wasn’t the sled that caused him to be the big monster personality; the reason was being taken away from his family at a young age. After all the riches, all the life experiences he still valued this sled from his childhood (which I know you get).

But, it sounds like you have missed the reason why he valued this sled so much; it was the only item or thing in his life that is from a time he truly valued, which is ironic because it's from a time when he didn’t have all the riches in the world.

The reason he was never able to give his singer wife any gift that meant anything to him was because gifts could only be bought with money, money was the only thing he had. He couldn’t give her anything he truly loved because the time he truly loved was when he had no money.

It wasn’t until it was too late and she was gone (and all the other stuff that happened) that he realised he cared about the time symbolised by the sled, and realised that all these years he's been trying to buy peoples love (politics or partners, spun newspaper stories or opera houses) to replace the true love he missed from his childhood.

He couldn’t receive love and couldn’t give it to others either which we saw throughout the movie. The reveal at the end was the entire point of the film, the reporters were interviewing people to find out the meaning of Rosebud, and personally as the film was nearing an end I was on the edge of my seat wanting to know.

It was refreshing to see someone who had so much influence, power and money be so humbled by the nostalgia he holds for his childhood, a human quality a lot of us have.

As for being overrated, yes I agree, even for a dramatic old film it does feel quite slow. I like to think Citizen Kane revolutionised mainstream cinema with techniques found in lesser known foreign arty films, therefore surely something in the last 70 years has improved on the new formula it brought to the forefront, perhaps any truly great movie has.

Ok it has deep focus shots and amazing musical score, but haven’t most films tried to since?

It's like everything that does something to a large audience for the 1st time, was Hogan Andre truly the greatest WM match? HBK Razor truly the greatest ladder match? So overrated yes, and I agree it’s understandable why.

Thank You to the people who said Twilight. My choice Twilight. I really don't see what's so special about. I mean I do like the movies and there okay. But they are great. They aren't special at all. I personally found the first movie to be boring. The second one was okay. The third was the best. But they weren't classics. People act like these are so great. But it's not. The acting is borderline horrible. Pretty much anybody could play the part of Twilight. It just seems not a lot goes into his character. And there kinda boring. I don't know.

A lot of people mentioned Avatar, and I agree it is over rated, but not the MOST overrated film of all time. Though all it really was was awesome CGI and a live action Fern Gully. It's up there, but I dont think it is number one, its simply a recent overrated film.

What I would say is probably the most overrated film in history is Scarface. A LOT of people talk about this is the greatest film ever conceived, and quote it like no tomorrow, films constantly do an overdone homage to it; but was it really as good as they say? No.

Now Scarface may have featured some good acting, mostly by Pacino, but it wasnt his best acting, that would be in The Godfather. It had a good story, but the greatest story ever told in film? Most certainly not. I honestly didnt care for this movie, but Im not going to really add that into the equation.

There are many films that are a lot better than this. Theres Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, The Shawshank Redemption, Laurence of Arabia, Bridge One The River Kwai, yet people insist this is on the top of the list. Well it sure is on the top of the list, the list for the most overrated film of all time.

That movie didn't become even remotley popular until years after its release. It was pretty much shat on from every angle when it first came out.

As far as my pick, I'll go with Taxi Driver. I was bored as fuck throughout the whole movie, waiting anxiously for the exciting scene that (I thought) was ahead, and instead got some weird ass, jumbled ending. And people think this movie is great? WHAT. I don't understand how anyone can watch that movie more than once, it's just weird as shit. Awful, awful movie.

Every movie person here is going to crucify me for this, but to me it's Citizen Kane.

For years I had heard that this is the undisputed greatest movie of all time. It's a masterpiece and a showcase of how great Welles was. Ok I thought to myself. If it's this good I need to sit down and watch it. So one night I found a copy of it and watched it.

HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF CRAP THIS MOVIE WAS BORING. Nothing happens for nearly two hours and then all of a sudden it turns out it's the damn sled that caused him to become this huge monster of a personality that almost ran the world? Ok, I get that it was symbolic of his childhood and all that, but it took an hour and a half to get to that? Everything in the movie was supposed to be symbolic and representing all kinds of things, but that doesn't make it good. It makes it well made I guess, but that doesn't mean it's an entertaining movie. I was sitting there waiting for greatness to happen and it never did.

Since it's considered the best ever and it isn't even interesting, I'd certainly call that overrated.

I have to agree with KB here because this movie is held in the highest regards as the best movie of all time. People always use the comparison "Its the Citizen Kane of its era" when they are talking about good movies. The beginning and end was the only good parts of the movie. It was totally slow and boring with nothing interesting going on in between.

I'm going to get the most heat for this, but I think The original Godfather is overrated as hell. The movie is good and it set up a great sequel. It was just too long and uneventful for me. Marlon Brando was great, but it was more interesting to see Robert De Niro as Brando's character in the sequel.

Another film I have to add is Apocalypse Now. Some have called it the greatest war movie ever made. Francis Ford Coppola directed this film along with the Godfather saga. Capt. Willard (Martin Sheen) goes to Cambodia during the height of the Vietnam war to assassinate a green beret Army Colonel (Brando) that went AWOL and has became a crazed leader of a Cambodian tribe. Willard ultimately becomes just as insane as the man he is sent to kill. The original version is 153 minutes and the Redux version is 202 minutes.

Its a mesmerizing film with a great musical score by The Doors. I just don't think it is the greatest film of all time. It's a movie that I've tried to sit through for hours on end and couldn't do it. The best part of the film doesn't come till the end when Sheen confronts Brando. It deserves its place in history as truly original war film, but its overrated in my opinion.

I prefer Full Metal Jacket as the greatest war movie ever made.

That movie didn't become even remotley popular until years after its release. It was pretty much shat on from every angle when it first came out.

As far as my pick, I'll go with Taxi Driver. I was bored as fuck throughout the whole movie, waiting anxiously for the exciting scene that (I thought) was ahead, and instead got some weird ass, jumbled ending. And people think this movie is great? WHAT. I don't understand how anyone can watch that movie more than once, it's just weird as shit. Awful, awful movie.

Simply because it wasnt as popular at first doesnt make it any less overrated.

And on the note of Taxi Drive I will now say that another highly overrated film is:

HEAT: Now I didnt necessarily hate this film, I simply didnt like it. The film had some decent acting and a watchable plot but the death blow to it was that the film was far too long. The film was basically 3 hours long and every single part of it just dragged and dragged. I can understand its comparisons to The Dark Knight because this film had the exact same slow pacing, and had the same darkness about it.(I watched Heat first)

But honestly I dont see why people like it so much or rate it so highly, it goes and goes and goes and then in the end the payoff isnt all that good. It just leaves you thinking "that film just sucked the life out of me". I plan on never seeing this film again because I would rather fill an 8th of a day doing something worth while, like getting a route canal.

I liked Avatar, thought it was a pretty good movie but I agree, it is certainly overrated. It’s nothing compared to many films but to say it’s shit is also an over the top comment. The movie has its highs and lows like any other but I see why it’s got so much attention. It’s a great movie but it’s defiantly overrated in my eyes.

I’m picking Iron Man. The film was built up so much and the fan fare was wild but upon watching this film I was shocked to find myself completely and utterly uninterested. The whole thing from start to finish was cheesy, lame and lacked any real drive. The only thing saving it in any way was Downy Jr’s acting. He’s good but not good enough to pull that movie out of the shitter it was in.

(on a side note what’s with Downy Jr doing terrible movies lately? Shelock Holmes was also a BIG disappointment)

Anyways, Iron Man lacked in so many ways for me but it’s still seen as a huge success and so many people rave on about how great it is. I didn’t even bother with the 2nd one because of how poor the first was. Iron Man is extremely overrated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back