Favorite Actor / Actress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferbian

Has Returned.
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been made.

Now I know that Tdigle already had a small step towards this in his thread "tdigle Tells You Why Your Favorite Film/Actor/Actress/Director/TV Show Sucks "
But we're gonna be discussing favorite actors and actresses. I would assume the majority of people on this forum. Or around the world watch movies that have their favorite actor / actress involved in it. No matter how bad it might sound.

We watch a lot of movies that gives us this thought that "This person is my favorite actor / actress". And this is also something I'm gonna want you to answer (I'll get to the questions later).

Some might even go as far as to form a favorite movie out of the sheer fact that their favorite actor / actress was involved. Or that the fact that his or her acting in the movie made it that much better.

Therefore I ask you to list some of your favorite actors or actresses. And to tell us - Why is this your favorite actor or actresses.

What made this actor your favorite? Any specific movie?

And of course there's no stopping you from listing more than one favorite actor. Perhaps a top 5 even.

I'll start off:

1. Bruce Willis: This guy has been involved in the majority of my favorite movies. I like some actors that have a sense of toughness of them. Someone who quite simply "kicks ass".

I got truly involved with Bruce Willis through the Die Hard series. Mostly due to the humor that the character John McClane would pose with his "ass kicking".

2. Al Pacino: How this guy can not be loved is beyond my imagination. To me he is the sheer definition of "bad guy" he has that sense of calm calculating ability in his movies with The God Father (Who I've discussed that I like Michael Corleone over Tony Montana).

But also the fact that he can come off with some rough screaming moments that could really generate some kind of respect in a scared kind of way towards him. And Godfather was truly what got me into Al Pacino because of the above mentioned cold calculating persona he played.

Tom Hanks: This guy as well as Bruce Willis and Al Pacino have been involved in a large amount of my favorite movies. He played some heart felt roles as well as some rather brutal roles in the likes of Forrest Gump and the role he played in Saving Private Ryan.

Both these movies got me into Tom Hanks due to the fact that he played them so well. I've always loved World War 2 movies. So it only helped. And Forrest Gump was just a heart felt story that I overall enjoyed. And I feel I enjoyed it more due to Tom Hanks acting.

Robert Downey Jr., is my favorite actor in the business today. I have only seen one film that he was in that I didn't really enjoy and it wasn't his fault. That movie was a complete mess from top to bottom. The actors actually weren't bad, it was just the script. I think the reason I dig RDJ so much is because of the way he uses sarcasm in the way he delivers his lines. I am fairly sarcastic as well, and it is just something I can connect with. I also just find him to be a very believable actor. He has overcome a lot in his life and I think it really shows in the movies he does.

Another actor I really dig is Timothy Olyphant. It's weird because I feel like I have seen his entire career unfold in front of me. I remember him as the creepy guy in Scream 2 and didn't really think he would get very far, but here he is now, over ten years later and a much bigger and better actor. His role in The Crazies was great and the work he did and is doing on Deadwood, which I am currently watching, and Justified has been awesome. He has a lot of range. He can play serious, and do comedy if needed, though that clearly isn't his specialty. I expect some big things for Timothy Olyphant in the future because he just keeps getting better and better.

Denzel Washington. The guy is a phenomenal actor with fantastic personality and one of the best looks in Hollywood right now. Short of doing Sex in the City 3: Carrie Contracts HIV, there isn't a role he can't play in Hollywood if you ask me.

His recent work in The Book of Eli was powerful, as was the last number of films he's done – most notably American Gangster, The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 and Inside Man.

Aside from perhaps Tom Hanks or Leonardo DiCaprio, there isn't an actor in Hollwood who'll make me stop the channel faster when I recognize his face in a movie than Denzel.

Hmm...

My favorite American actor is definitely Michael K. Williams:

williams_omar.jpg

Most known for playing Omar Little in The Wire, he has unfortunately gotten nothing more than bit parts since the show's end in 2008. However, he outperformed everyone in The Road with just 5 minutes of screen time, and his portrayal of a wanted Hutu war criminal in hiding on this past season of CSI resulted in what I'd consider to be the show's best episode ever.

If any American actor should receive heaps and heaps of praise, it's this guy.

Overall, though, my three favorite three actors are the Frenchmen Daniel Auteuil and Vince Cassel and China's Tony Leung. Unlike 99% of actors working today, these three men are extremely versatile. This versatility, in turn, shows that these three men truly understand subtlety, an extremely valuable asset that is too often conflated with being clueless on how to portray a written character.

As far as actresses go, my favorite is definitely Isabelle Huppert. A European cinema and film festival darling, she always tackles the most compelling and controversial roles available, and her reason for doing so has nothing to do with insecurity over worth as an actress. Rather, it has everything to do with her ability to breathe life into her characters, and to understand their every motivation and inclination.

Denzel Washington. The guy is a phenomenal actor with fantastic personality and one of the best looks in Hollywood right now. Short of doing Sex in the City 3: Carrie Contracts HIV, there isn't a role he can't play in Hollywood if you ask me.

His recent work in The Book of Eli was powerful, as was the last number of films he's done – most notably American Gangster, The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 and Inside Man.

Aside from perhaps Tom Hanks or Leonardo DiCaprio, there isn't an actor in Hollwood who'll make me stop the channel faster when I recognize his face in a movie than Denzel.

Best actor in the world IMO, as well as the films you have mentioned, he was epic in Training Day and Deja Vu- two of my favourite films. Plus others such as Crimson Tide and Man On Fire.

Denzel never lets you down, he is a phenomenal actor and I have yet to see a bad performance from the guy

I'm going to go with a odd choice: Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Most of you probably know him from the kid in Angels in the Outfield which is where he got his big break. He then got the part of the "kid alien" in the TV series 3rd rock from the sun which led to him getting the second largest male role in the movie 10 things I hate about you. Now everything up to this point was okay but not really my cup of tea. Then he starred in Brick, one of my favorite movies and my favorite whodunit. It was basically a film noir movie set in a high school. Anyways he was also in 500 Days of Summer which I loved and it got nothing but praise for critics. Now he's starring opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in Inception and in the as-yet-untitled next Seth Rogen project. Both I'm sure will be hits and hopefully his star will continue to grow.

I feel that I have written this multiple times around here for the last few weeks but I will say it again. Leonardo DiCaprio is undoubtedly my favourite actor right now. Since seeing him in Shutter Island, I have really gotten an extra kick out of all of the movies I have watched of his. Right after I seen Shutter Island, I made it my personal mission to watch as many of his movies as possible and have since seen Titanic, Blood Diamond, Catch Me If You Can and The Aviator, all of which were fantastic movies. I think he has come a long way since being a teenage heart-throb and although he may be typecast into roles like he played in Shutter Island, I think that is mostly because he is fantastic at playing those roles. No point in breaking something that has been working perfectly.

My favourite actress is Meryl Streep and it’s not even close. I honestly couldn’t think of another actress that has the talent of Streep and although I have never seen The Devil Wears Prada, I will assume she is brilliant in that too. I first saw her in Doubt and absolutely adored her performance. Then I managed to see her in the Manchurian Candidate and since then, I have managed to catch a lot of her movies. She is just the best actress around right now and no one can touch her.

I'm going to go with a odd choice: Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is not an odd choice. He is a phenomenal actor, who's on the verge to becoming one of the most respected/popular actors in America. He's certainly my favorite actor right now under the age of 30.

Anyways, I have a bunch of favorite actors/actresses. So I'll just list a few of my favs from both and give a couple of words why they're there. This is in no particular order:

James Van Der Beek - His portrayal of Sean Bateman is my favorite performance in any movie, ever. Plus, Varsity Blues was my favorite movie all through-out high school, and I'm also a huge fan of Dawson's Creek. So, yeah... it's kind of embarrassing to admit this since the guy is looked at as a teen heart-throb and nothing more, but he very well could be my favorite actor of all time right now, lol.

Vincent Cassel - Greatest villain in the film industry, bar none. The guy can play anything evil and be 100% convincing in the role. But that's not all he has to offer... if you watch La Haine, Irréversible, Read My Lips, etc... you will see just what a tremendous talent he really is.

Matt Damon - If it weren't for the Bourne movies, I don't think I would have liked a single action film from last decade, but man... I fucking LOVE those Jason Bourne films. Having those under his belt, plus movies like Good Will Hunting (top 10 favorite of mine, btw), Rounders, The Departed, among others... all that easily makes him one of my favorite actors.

Leonardo Dicaprio - Go in Tidgs thread and you'll see.

Brad Pitt - The coolest, most charismatic star in Hollywood history, if you ask me. You watch Fight Club, True Romance, Inglourious Basterds and Troy and you will notice this fact. Moreover, you watch movies like 12 Monkeys, Legends of the Fall, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Babel... and you will also notice how great of an actor he truly is.

Edward Norton - His performance in American History X is my 2nd favorite performance in movie history. Just for that he would make this list no matter what, but he also has films/performances like Primal Fear, Kingdom of Heaven, 25th Hour, Fight Club and Rounders under his belt as well.

Joshua Jackson - This guy would rank #2 in my eyes behind Brad Pitt in the cool and charismatic category. If you ever watched him as Pacey Witter, you would see what I mean. But also if you watched him as Pacey Witter, you would see some great, great, great acting from him as well, just as you would from Jackson if you watched movies such as Aurora Borealis, I Love Your Work, and One Week. Also, considering his age at the time, I would say he was damn good in the Mighty Ducks movies as well.

Robert De Niro & Al Pacino - Obvious reasons why they're here. I'm more of a fan of their past work, but still... I have to list them.

Zhang Ziyi - Go check out Tdigs' thread.

Naomi Watts - What impresses me about Naomi Watts is that she can be in the most shittiest film ever (ala Funny Games) and still give me a performance that completely blows me away. She is fucking tremendous. Don't believe me? Watch Mulholland Drive (my 3rd favorite performance by anyone ever is by her in this movie) and 21 Grams to see what I mean. Shit, watch that piece of shit King Kong remake, where she was literally the only thing that made the movie half decent (with better editing this film would have been the masterpiece it should have been), and you'll see just what kind of talent this woman possesses.

Jennifer Connelly - I fell in love with this chick at an early age with Labyrinth, but she only grew up to be more even gorgeous and talented with performances in movies like Requiem for a Dream, A Beautiful Mind, House and Sand Fog, and Blood Diamond. She's just awesome. She hasn't done much lately, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before she does give another performance that just blows the World away.

Kate Winslett - Obvious reasons. Chick puts on great performance after great performance. Just look at her body of work from the last 6 years: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Finding Neverland, Little Children, The Reader, and Revolutionary Road. In every single one of those films she gave Oscar worthy performances.

Cate Blanchett - Her performances in The Aviator and Elizabeth never fail to cease to amaze me, no matter how many times I've watched them. Those two performances, plus starring in awesome movies such as Heaven, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou easily makes her one of my favorites working today.

Katie Holmes - Her work in the first two seasons of Dawson's Creek (plus the 4th Season) was absolutely flawless. Moreover, unlike Claire Danes who I'm going to mention in a minute, Holmes has had some great movie roles as well, in films like Wonder Boys, Batman Begins, Pieces of April, and Thank You For Smoking.

Claire Danes - I have been sorely disappointed with the direction she has taken her career, but she is still one of my all time favorite actresses, if only for My So-Called Life, which she was just absolutely tremendous in. Her movie roles, with the exception of The Hours, Terminator 3, and Romeo + Juliet, have all pretty much stunk, but she was the bright spot in nearly every single one of them regardless.

Friday Night Lights Stars Kyle Chandler, Connie Britton, Zach Gilford, and Taylor Kitsch - Yeah, bit of a cop-out to pull something like this, but the fact is... all these people were fucking superb on FNL and blew me away each and every season with their performances. In both Gilford and Kitsch's case, they will go on to have long, great, very successful careers in the film industry, I guarantee it; while Chandler and Britton will do something someday that will show the World just how gifted they are (whether it's in television or film).

So, yeah, I think I'll stop there. But before that, just let me name some honorable mentions:

Ben Foster
Viggo Mortensen
Steve Buscemi
Tony Leung Chiu-Wai (whose work I'm seeing more and more of each passing day, and who just keeps blowing with pretty much every performance I see of his)
Giovanni Ribisi
John Travolta
David Schwimmer
Penélope Cruz
Hilary Swank
Reese Whiterspoon
Diane Lane

Favorite Actors

Denzel Washington- I can't remember the last time he's done a bad movie. Denzel always puts on passionate performances, and it was different to see him as the bad guy in Training Day, and you know what, he nailed that role perfectly. I also feel his performance in Deja Vu was very underrated.

Leonardo DiCaprio- I'm a huge fan of Leo's. I couldn't stand him when I was younger, because he had that "teen heart throb" persona, but over the years, I've loved pretty much everyone of his movies. He did an excellent job in the Aviator, and I can't wait until Inception is released.

Jack Nicholson- What else can you say about this man? He's been one of the greatest American actors for a very long time, and he can still surprise us every now and then like he did with his performance in The Departed.

Will Smith- Yeah, I know he can do a lot of stinkers every now and then, but Smith's range is incredible. His portrayal of Muhammad Ali was great, and I'm still shocked he didn't win the Oscar for that one. Smith has come a long way since the days of The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air.

Al Pacino & Robert Deniro- I would have to create a separate thread to give praise to these two men. Both Pacino and Deniro have played many great roles, and they are living legends in the world of movies.

Favorite Actresses

kate Winslet- I was still young when I saw Titanic, and back then I just looked at Winslet as being hot. But over the years I began to admire this woman's acting. Not only did she do good in Titanic, but most recently I believe she could've won the Oscar for best actress for The Reader or Revolutionary road. Both of those performances were just great.

Angelina Jolie- She's a good actress, but she has had a bad habit of appearing in some shit films over the years. Salt doesn't look to promising either. Seriously, what is this woman thinking?

Penelope Cruz- I was happy when she finally got the credit she deserves by winning an an Oscar for her performance in Vicky Cristina Barcelona. My favorite performance from Cruz has to be from Blow. This is where she played Johnny Depp's psychotic wife. There were times where I seriously hated her doing this movie. That's how good her performance was.

Charlize Theron- Theron is by far my favorite actress. Theron first caught my eye in The Devil's Advocate. She was amazing in that movie. Her performance in Monster was breath taking, and she was also great in North Country. Yeah, I know she was in Aeon Flux, and Hanncock, but everyone has their mistakes.

I want to keep going, but I guess I'll end it here. Other honorable mentions for me would be: Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, Robert Downey JR., Ed Harris, and Alice Braga.

Adam Sandler I absolutely love comedy movies and Sandler in any comedy movie is icing on top of the cake in my opinion. I have watched just about every Adam Sandler made in the last 10 years and to me is one of the best comedians in Hollywood to date. He may not be a "serious" actor but to me is my favorite.

Comedy as i have said is my favorite genre of movie and Sandler is my favorite actor so for me thats it and as it stands Adam is my favorite actor.

Angelina Jolie My favorite actress stared in a lot of good movies. Has great looks and i believe she always portrays her character very well

1. Johnny Depp. Most of his movies I've loved. His style of acting is really quirky and interesting. I love the fact that he truly involves himself with the character he's playing. Like in the Pirate movies he pretty much came up with the manerisms and costume himself. I like an actor that can really make something his own like Depp can do.

2. Jim Carrey. Jim's movies are comedy gold and over the past few years he's really developed as an actor. He's done serious and action which I actually liked. But for me his classics will always be in my favs list. Films like Liar Liar, Ace Ventura and Cable Guy will always hold a special place for me, a place where I am guaranteed unlimited laughs. Great underated actor.

3. Zach Braff. Zach is on my list simply because of one of my ultimate favourite movies which he directed, stared and produced: Garden State. This is a beautiful movie full of emotion, laughter and sadness. I love it and can watch it unlimited amount of times. His acting is very sincere and mature for someone that was only known for playing a goofy comedy role in Scrubs. After Garden State I came to respect Braff for his realism and sensitivty in his role in Garden State. I really hope he creates another masterpiece just as impressive as Garden State.

My favorite actress is Sarah Polley. Most folks haven't even heard of her but I think if she continues her career, she will one day win an Academy Award.

My favorite role of hers was in "The Weight of Water." In the film, she was the least expressive actor in the cast, yet she revealed more of her character's depth than anyone in the movie. Sarah can say more without dialogue than most actors can by speaking, so expressive are her mannerisms and facial expressions.

My favorite actor is Robert Downey. He has had some knockout roles, most notably the character he played in "Tropic Thunder," a farce film. Think of it; Downey is a white American, right? In the movie, he portrayed a white Australian who was portraying a black American man. How he could bring something like that off was amazing.......but he did it smoothly and convincingly.

My favorite actor is Tom Cruise.IMO all of his movies are great,and his recent movie Knight and Day was pretty good.IMO his best movie he made was Top Gun,just a real great movie

Leonardo Dicaprio. With acting in movies such ash Titanic, Inception, and Romeo and Juliet, how can you not have the utmost respect for the guy. In every movie he has been in, he add's certain believability, as his character's feel less fictional than they really are. Truely a remarkeable actor.

I have a few, like;

Will Smith: Such a great actor and has alot of good movies to show for it. Seven Pounds (which I found really confusing but still a well played out movie), The Pursuit of Happiness which is just such a great movie. Truth be told it actually brang a tear to my eye. If you do not feel any bit of sadness or happiness for him then you have something wrong with you. Also I am legend is one of my favourite movies of all time.

Jim Carrey
: Just such a funny actor. With movies like Yes man, Ace Ventura and Liar Liar how can you not laugh at it. Not only has he put out good movies, but to me he is getting like a good wine with age, just getting better in movies that don't relate with comedy.

Daniel Day-Lewis is just amazing in everything he has done. He is just hitting his prime in terms of classic acting that reminds me of the days of early Brando, Pekc, or Bogart.

There Will be Blood is one of those movies a lot of people hate, but I can watch it over...and over...and over again. It got me to read Upton Sinclair's, Oil! which was fantastic.

My vote would have to be for Mr. Sexy,
I mean Johnny Depp,
There hasn't been one movie he's played in that hasn't sucked me up into it,
He's just phenomenal

My favorite actress,
Ms. Jolie,
She's been my favorite forever,
I drop everything and run whenever her name is mentioned,
She always plays her character to a T,
& She never fails to exceed my expectations

I'm going with Denzel Washington because every film I've seen him in he's played his role pretty well and in American Gangster he was fantastic which is also one of my favorite films. For me he stands out in American Gangster, Man On Fire, Taking Of Pelham 123 and Training Day which are all good movies where he is at his best.

George Clooney and anyone else that was in the Ocean series
Sylvester Stallone for giving us the Rocky Series
Charlton Heston for Planet of The Apes....the originals the new one can drop dead
Adam Sandler
Vinnie Jones...Oh my god he's so badass
I like Will Smith and Drew Barrymore is the only actress I like beside's for Julia roberts

I don't like a lot of the HOT people like the ones in the tabloids all the time...
I can't stand people like Angelina Jole and people of that magnitude

for why I love Adam Sandler he's a real good guy in real life. He surrounds him self with his true friends and he doesn't let the Hollywood crap go to his head
his movies for the most part aren't sexually explicit...besides funny people I was extremely made to see a full out sex scene in an Adam Sandler movie

Vinnie Jones is just an awesome badass...I love him in the Condemned

Drew I like her cause of her work with Adam Sandler, I think they work great together and Wedding Singer still makes me cry at the end after all these years....two vhs and two dvd's later...
I like Roberts primarly because of Pretty Woman and her role as Tess in Oceans is a good fit for George Clooney

and the Fallen Angel R.I.P Brandon Lee The Crow is one of the best movies of all time, and it feels like a holy practice when ever I touch the dvd case and should always be handled with care

Jim Carrey Jim is one of my very favorite actors if not my very favorite. This man is an amazing comedy actor and he can do just as well in a serious role. It wasn't too long ago that I saw "The Truman Show". It was a side to Jim Carrey that I had never seen before. It was great. I do not think that there is one movie that he has played in that I dislike. When I see the man on screen I just feel like he is meant to be there and that he enjoys what he does.

Will Smith Will is easily my favorite African American actor of all time. Much like Jim Carrey he is very believable in whatever role he is in. He can be extremely funny or extremely serious. I absolutely love his role in the "Men in Black" series and "The Fresh Prince of Belair".

Tom Hanks Tom Hanks is a legend. I believe the reason I like him so much is because of his roles as Woody in "Toy Story" and Forrest Gump in "Forrest Gump". He is a very likeable person and seems to really love his job (and he is really good at his job!).

I've always liked DiCaprio, Depp, and Heath Ledger as actors, but my favorite. DiCaprio has been good in pretty much everything he's been in, and Depp is just great in his odd roles. I've also always loved A Knight's Tale and 10 Things I Hate About You. I also enjoyed Casanova (man, this makes me feel like a pansy).

However, my favorite actor has to be Jensen Ackles from (I'm a one-note song, I know) Supernatural. The dude is great in every scene he's in. He started off the show as the funny, womanizing older brother, and throughout the series he has transformed to a tortured soul who's been through Hell (literally) for his family and just wants it all to be over so he can raise a family of his own. My favorite episodes are the ones where his character Dean is broken down and about to give up, but the character always keeps fighting. He's able to portray pretty much any emotion he needs to, and it is always believable.

He may not be the best answer, since I've really only seen him in Supernatural and his short role on Smallville but the acting in Supernatural has definitely solidified him as my favorite. I hope that once the show ends he can go on to have a pretty successful career.

1) Vin Diesel - Mostly in the F&F series, makes me laugh everytime especially the scene in F&F1 at his take away shop.

2) Steven Segal - Seen a couple of his movies and his really good at the fighting etc. espcially "Out for Justice".

Leonardo DiCaprio- Obviously a popular choice. Just can't name a bad movie, or a bad performance given by him since he's broke onto the scene. He can nail numerous accents (Blood Diamond, Gangs of New York, Catch Me if You Can), he's convincing in almost any role, and has loads of charisma. He steals the show every movie he's in.

Matt Damon- I love a lot of his movies. He's dedicated to his roles and only plays the same character in sequels. He's great in The Departed and the Bourne movies, but he was excellent in limited camera time in Oceans 11 and Saving Private Ryan. The Informant! proves his versatility and flaunts his amazing acting ability.

Bryan Cranston

bryan.jpg

In terms of a film career, he's only ever had small roles in movies. More notable films he's appeared in include Little Miss Sunshine & Saving Private Ryan

However as a television actor, he's had a great career. He's appeared in two of my favourite series of all time. His performance as Hal in Malcolm in the Middle was comedy gold. He was arguably the best thing in that show and he was the most consistent actor on that show (along with Jane Kaczmarek). His nominations for that role don't lie either as he was nominated three times for the Emmy in the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series category. He was also nominated for a Golden Globe for that role.

The second series he was in is Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad is all about Walter White, a man who is stuck with money problems, a lack of passion and bills to pay. If that weren't enough, his wife is pregnant, his son is disabled and he discovers he has terminal lung cancer. Walter goes on a quest to earn big money and fast before it's too late. So he begins making Crystal Meth with a former student of his. Cranston plays Walter tremendously and has received multiple awards for his performance, most notably, his two Emmy wins for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series and a third nomination this year, which he is once again the favourite for.

[YOUTUBE]B49NTTnE-ok[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]qh2b4jP0xM4[/YOUTUBE]

I would have to go with my favorite top 3 actors Jack Nicholson, Harvey Keitel, and Christopher Walken. Nicholson is great in pretty much any role except maybe Bucket List. My favorites of his are One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Next, The Shinning, As Good as It Gets, and The Departed. Harvey Keitel has been a favorite of mine also. The top movies for Harvey for me are: Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fictionn, and From Dusk Till Dawn. Finally Christopher Walken is an actor that can put on a strong performance and make you laugh or cry at the same time. He was great on SNL with his "more cowbell" line. He even made Joe Dirt worth watching. I love his performances in Deer Hunter, True Romance, Pulp Fiction, and Things to Do in Denver When Your Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back